PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 06-26-04 Sox vs. Cubs Postgame Thread

FarWestChicago
06-26-2004, 05:45 PM
That's a little better. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

JRIG
06-26-2004, 05:45 PM
White Sox Winner!

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Gee... I've been told "they" are a better team.

Who wudda thunk it? The Flubs lost.

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

dpbyron
06-26-2004, 05:47 PM
SHINGO! :bandance: :bandance:

Felix! :bandance: :bandance:

Paulie! :bandance: :bandance:

Crede! :bandance: :bandance:

HomeFish
06-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Shingo made fools of Hollandsworth and Ramirez.

owensmouth
Diaz out duels 'em!

Potitte sets 'em down!

Marte does the job.

Shingo's the man.

Oh yeah, Diaz is getting a beer shower right about now.

Baby Fisk
A wealth of 5th starters have we, oh so suddenly! :cool:

mendozaln
06-26-2004, 05:49 PM
That's it!!!!
Great to see that, good for Diaz, let's keep it rolling.

Jjav829
Awesome stuff. Diaz pitched tremendously. We got 3 blasts to support him. We made Zambrano look like a fool. And Shingo was great again! Great win! :bandance:

Frankfan4life
Happy Days are Here Again! Unfortunately, I couldn't watch the game, because I was at the beauty salon. But, I am so happy with the win! I LOVE Shingo!

LongLiveFisk
Diaz over Zambrano.

WOW!!

Whoda thunk it??!
GO SOX!! Take 2 out of 3 tomorrow!! :gulp:

California Sox
06-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Huge game for the bullpen!!! If Politte can get hot and give us a decent month that would be terrific. Remember, any game that Jackson doesn't pitch in is a game we have a chance to win.

SOXintheBURGH
Makes it extra special since it was Diaz over Zambrano... boo-yea

Brian26
Very, very surprising game. I wasn't expecting Diaz to show up like that, but he pitched a hell of a game. Everyone did their job.

owensmouth
06-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Diaz over Zambrano.

WOW!!

Whoda thunk it??!
:gulp:
All of us that picked the Sox to win in that earlier poll.

markp8867
06-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Shingo made fools of Hollandsworth and Ramirez.
Shingo made the Cubs hitters look just plain silly. I was laughing so hard!!! Time for my happy dance!

:dtroll:

owensmouth
06-26-2004, 06:02 PM
According to Farmio, Sammie was laughing after three or four pitches.

Navaro's Talent
06-26-2004, 06:04 PM
This game was awesome. I didn't think Diaz could pull it off, especially with Zambrano pitching for the Cubs, but Diaz did great. Is this a look into the future of Diaz? I hope so! Oh and....

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: YEAH!!!!!!

BigEdWalsh
06-26-2004, 06:04 PM
SHINGO!!!!!

A little weird that our last 2 wins are by Rauch and Diaz. A week ago who woulda thunk it?

:supernana: :bandance:

mcfish
06-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Shingo's wearin' a Sox Pride T-Shirt for the press conference! It's awesome.

AnkleSox
06-26-2004, 06:14 PM
My favorite moments of the game :

Zambrano being a total prick after giving up the konerko homerun and trying to continually pick off timo. After about 6 hard-headed immature throws to first, he gives up a 2 run shot to Crede.

Shingo striking out Hollandsworth and his mullet on a pitch way low and outside.

mcfish
06-26-2004, 06:15 PM

Zambrano being a total prick after giving up the konerko homerun and trying to continually pick off timo. After about 6 hard-headed immature throws to first, he gives up a 2 run shot to Crede.

Shingo striking out Hollandsworth and his mullet on a pitch way low and outside.
Least favorite moment - the 5 times Zambrano did the exact same thing as Shingo to Sox batters.

HomeFish
06-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Shingo made the Cubs hitters look just plain silly. I was laughing so hard!!! Time for my happy dance!

Those strikeouts weren't just pathetic. They were downright emasculating. I think Hollandsworth is in that Cubs locker room right now developing large breasts after that last one.

The_Floridian
06-26-2004, 06:34 PM
I gotta say I'm especially happy about Politte. This is the second straight outstanding outing from him. He looks more like he did in spring training. If he stays like this, I really like our chances to close out games with Marte and Shingo right behind him.

Dan H
06-26-2004, 06:35 PM
:D: Wore my Sox 2000 championship shirt today. A woman working behind the counter at a gas station was a Cub fan and predicted a Cub sweep. She seemed nice for a Cub fan so I just politely told her you have to play them first. Beating the Cubs with your #5 starter makes for a great day. Obviously there is no sweep for the lovable losers.

LuvSox
06-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Maybe the Sox should sign Shingo now. That Hollandsworth wiff was priceless!!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

cheeses_h_rice
06-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Just got back from the game, and the first thing I have to do is apologize to Felix Diaz, who not only didn't "crap his jammies," he helped salvage a team that was quickly spiralling down the drain. Awesome job of pitching despite the bad inning -- exactly what the doctor ordered.

It's not often the Sox win when they score all their runs from homers, but alas they did. Congrats to PK for getting to that headcase Zambrano with the 3-run bomb, and extra kudos to Crede for getting even further into Zambrano's skull after all those throws to first trying to catch Timo off base, by hitting a home run on the first pitch to him.

Excellent job by the boys in the pen, and my oh my if Shingo wasn't treated like a superstar by the fans in the crowd today when he came in to face Sham-ME*. People were really relishing that "matchup." Too bad Sham-ME* didn't K, but a ground out to third is just as good.

Great game on a day when I really thought we didn't have a chance. Suddenly things don't seem so dire, all around.

Who'da thunk?

:gulp::bandance::supernana::gulp::bandance::supern ana:

HomeFish
06-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Don't look now, but somebody named "M. Guerrier" gave up 4 runs to the Brewers (and two hits to somebody named "J. Liefer"), who now lead Minnesota 7-0.

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Don't look now, but somebody named "M. Guerrier" gave up 4 runs to the Brewers (and two hits to somebody named "J. Liefer"), who now lead Minnesota 7-0.Homefish, reading what you wrote on this thread is very refreshing. It's like an all new you. I'll take it.:D: :bandance:

DaveIsHere
06-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Don't look now, but somebody named "M. Guerrier" gave up 4 runs to the Brewers (and two hits to somebody named "J. Liefer"), who now lead Minnesota 7-0.
aaaahhhhh I feel good!!!

A. Cavatica
06-26-2004, 08:00 PM
I can't believe we let Zambrano sneak onto the Trib's All-City Team ahead of Diaz!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2004, 08:05 PM
I can't believe we let Zambrano sneak onto the Trib's All-City Team ahead of Diaz!
LOL! The one Flubbie who made it. So naturally he loses.

PRICELESS!!!

:bandance:

Blob
06-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Awesome stuff. Diaz pitched tremendously. We got 3 blasts to support him. We made Zambrano look like a fool. And Shingo was great again! Great win! :bandance:
It was Zambrano's second worst outing of the year as far as runs scored on him. Hopefully this puts him into a tail spin!

CJLove23
06-26-2004, 08:10 PM
All I can say...is what a lovely day!! And Diaz...http://www.feedmedogfood.com/rock.gif Danny Wright you are not! I'm surprised Dusty didn't get thrown out today!! :rolleyes:

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Well i certainly undersetimated Diaz, however i knew Mr.Zero was gunna kick some serious ass. GO SOX!

MRKARNO
06-26-2004, 09:14 PM
I had a really good feeling about this game before it started...and after it ended as well. Diaz was just awesome save for that one inning. Zambrano is an emotional idiot who cant find the plate. When Shingo came in that game, the ovation he got was just awesome. The Crede/Timo/Zambrano thing was awesome. Great game all around. If we can get a quality start from our pitcher, then then we usually will win, especially if Politte can continue to pitch like that.

Flight #24
06-26-2004, 09:25 PM
best things about the game (besides the final score)

- Watching Diaz settle down after the rough inning. Good composure bodes well for the future.
- Nice D all around, especially from Timo (He's no Gload out there, but he'll do!)
- Watching Shingo make the Chubs look absolutely silly. You could tell they were like "It's SOOOOO slow, why can't I hit it?" If you look closely, I believe Hollandsworth actually closed his eyes and waved at that last pitch. He's still looking for it!
- Clutch HR from Crede as he continues to come around offensively
- Watching Zambrano get beat around and still get left out there for 130 pitches. And 130 HARD pitches, many with guys on base. And this after "Magic" Dusty Baker's piled a pretty high workload on top of him, after coming off of a year where he significantly increased his workload from his previous career high. If anyone has him on their fantasy team, might want to bench him next time out......Calling Dr. Andrews......Dr Jobe and Dr Andrews......

Nice work boys!! Now let's get out there tomorrow and run down "Mad Dog" Maddux in the street, take 2 of 3, and hopefully get within 1 of first.

But for now - kick back, celebrate a nice win!
:gulp: :supernana: :gulp: :supernana: :gulp: :dtroll: :drunken:

Hokiesox
06-26-2004, 09:25 PM
aaaahhhhh I feel good!!!
Somewhere, there's a psychologist studying bipolar disorder, and white sox fans will be featured prominently

samram
06-26-2004, 09:46 PM
When I read the All-City team final results, I laughed so hard I nearly Aloued myself.

hsnterprize
06-26-2004, 09:53 PM
The Sox got to Zambrano's head, and he couldn't conrtol himself. That's why he was throwing to first all those times before Crede took him out. Paul Konerko said after the game he "didn't know" about the anticipation of the Sox wanting to face Zambrano. But of course, he said that with a smug look on his face, so you can believe that about as much as you can believe hizzonerable, Da Mare's going to be a Cubs fan since he's moving the "north side" now.

Shook Shingo's hand in the locker room. He's got a pretty strong grip. His wife and kids are nice. They sat in the top row of the conference center while we reporters were asking him a lot of questions.

CHISOXFAN13
06-26-2004, 10:12 PM
The Sox got to Zambrano's head, and he couldn't conrtol himself. That's why he was throwing to first all those times before Crede took him out. Paul Konerko said after the game he "didn't know" about the anticipation of the Sox wanting to face Zambrano. But of course, he said that with a smug look on his face, so you can believe that about as much as you can believe hizzonerable, Da Mare's going to be a Cubs fan since he's moving the "north side" now.

Shook Shingo's hand in the locker room. He's got a pretty strong grip. His wife and kids are nice. They sat in the top row of the conference center while we reporters were asking him a lot of questions.
I think today should really cement Takatsu's status as an All-Star. He may not make it, but a sub-one ERA is just sick.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2004, 10:24 PM
A very pleasent surprise today and they have a decent chance to take the series 2-1 which is always a pleasure.

Lip

Flight #24
06-26-2004, 10:32 PM
A very pleasent surprise today and they have a decent chance to take the series 2-1 which is always a pleasure.

Lip
Not to mention that we're a couple of ridiculously bad errors from being 2-0 and looking for the sweep. I know "woulda-shoulda-coulda" doesn't mean a whole lot, but the timing and severity of those errors was kind of bad luck. Coming back to back when Garland looked like he might have pulled it back together only to have Uribe drop a VERY easy popup isn't really something that IMO we can expect to happen a whole lot.

MRKARNO
06-26-2004, 10:35 PM
I think today should really cement Takatsu's status as an All-Star. He may not make it, but a sub-one ERA is just sick.
He still might have some work to do. Mariano Rivera is a lock for the All-star game with his better than Shingo 0.93 ERA. K-Rod is a lock, Foulke is a lock and Guardado and Nathan are probable. Williamson is a maybe. But I'm not sure if I like Shingo's chances though....

http://www.augustachronicle.com/images/headlines/101103/10572_512.jpg

"He didn't look too good when we played him"

WSox8404
06-26-2004, 10:50 PM
I feel good today. Much better than yesterday.

starboy0
06-26-2004, 10:56 PM
A little weird that our last 2 wins are by Rauch and Diaz. A week ago who woulda thunk it?

Just goes to show that in baseball the unthinkable can and does happen. It's never over before it starts.

inta
06-26-2004, 10:58 PM
amazing.

i had tickets to the game and i was dreading hearing the large cubs contingent bray and holler all throughout the game. especially with felix starting.
thank god this sox team showed up.

amazing game. just when this team pisses me off to the nth degree... they do something like this.... hopefully this sparks our turnaround.

and hopefully we knock maddux around all tomorrow.

Viva Magglio
06-26-2004, 11:02 PM
This was a great day that erases the sting of yesterday! I was very pleasently surprised at how well Díaz pitched and how we beat Zambrano. We may have uncovered the key to getting to Zambrano: getting under his skin.

Let's one one more tomorrow, boys!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

cheeses_h_rice
06-26-2004, 11:06 PM
This was a great day that erases the sting of yesterday! I was very pleasently surprised at how well Díaz pitched and how we beat Zambrano. We may have uncovered the key to getting to Zambrano: getting under his skin.

Let's one one more tomorrow, boys!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:
No. The key to beating Zambrano was to be patient and let him throw the ball anywhere but over the strike zone, and then to beat the snot out of the ball when he does that.

BigHurt359300
06-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Estey will rule 2morrow. Greg?? Greg who??? Loaiza will dominate, and thats a promise.

Diaz did pitch surprisingly well!!!!!!

voodoochile
06-26-2004, 11:19 PM
SHINGO!!!!!

:supernana: :bandance:
So that is a #5 starter win and a #6 starter win...:supernana:

Saracen
06-26-2004, 11:23 PM
He still might have some work to do. Mariano Rivera is a lock for the All-star game with his better than Shingo 0.93 ERA. K-Rod is a lock, Foulke is a lock and Guardado and Nathan are probable. Williamson is a maybe. But I'm not sure if I like Shingo's chances though....
Coco Cordero will be there too. I think it will be tough for Shingo without the big save numbers.

JB98
06-26-2004, 11:41 PM
Estey will rule 2morrow. Greg?? Greg who??? Loaiza will dominate, and thats a promise.
If we are fortunate enough to win, do you suppose the Cubune will print the headline, "Cubs tumbling toward third"? They made another reference today about how we are "barely" holding off the Tribe. In fact, we are three games ahead of Cleveland. Meanwhile, the Reds are right on the Cubs arse in the NL Central. No mention of that yet. I'd love for the Sox to be the team that knocks the Cubs five games below the Cardinals.

Let's go Loaiza!!!!

Thunderstruck30
06-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Great, now we have a 5th starter controversy.

MRKARNO
06-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Great, now we have a 5th starter controversy.
Better to have a controversy than a carousel

inta
06-27-2004, 12:56 AM
hey, the way buerhle and crew are throwing... this couldnt come at a better time.

although i'm hardly sold on rauch and diaz just yet.

:?:

StillMissOzzie
06-27-2004, 01:30 AM
I'll join in the chorus of those that were pleasantly surprised by Felix Diaz' outing today. When I first heard the news about Shoney going to the DL and Diaz getting the emergency call-up, I was not optimistic.

Cliff Pollitte also had a very good appearance today. After some of his antics recently, I was scared that he'd walk the 1st 2 Scrubs he faced. NOT SO!

I was so happy that we got onto that headcase Zambrano's nerves, especially on the many pickoff atempts before serving up the gopher ball to Crede. PRICELESS! And 129+ pitches by Zambrano? Nice use of your hottest starter, Dustball. No faith in your bullpen? Could bode well for another Scrub disappointment.

And the air was electric when Shingo got the call. Inducing a weak grounder from Shammy (although I'd have yelled myself hoarse for a K there) in the 8th, and Hollandsworth looked like he was chasing butterflies with his K in the 9th. Too funny!

My one gripe: I was in the UD in section 510, after 2 weeks of frantic eBay bidding and someone else's misfortune (but they were Scrub fans-long story!) that got me and my boy into today's game. The entire 3 rows in front of me (45-50 seats) were filled with some Scrub fan mope's softball team, and all but one of them were Scrub fans!!! *** is up with that? How does a group like this get access to our park @ retail when lifelong fans have to pay closer to "market" prices for those tickets?

SMO
:angry:

kcsportscaster
06-27-2004, 01:48 AM
Hey my fellow Sox fans, OH YEAH, how about the Sox pounding that punk Zambrano around The Cell 6-3, especially with him being shaken after those pickoff throws to first trying to get Timo that led to Crede's homer!!!! Felix Diaz got it done in his
six innings of work. This has to be a confidence builder for him
shutting the Flubs down the way he did. Also, I think the Sox bats are starting to wake up again after their effort late in Friday's game as well as their pounding of Zambrano Saturday, especially with the homers by Paulie, Crede, and Jose Valentin. I have a good feeling about the Sox pounding the Flubs waaaaay too old right hander Greg Maddux, especially if he doesn't get the expanded corners as he has been known to get all too frequently. ONCE AGAIN, THE SOX NEED TO POUND THE FLUBBIES AGAIN IN THE WORST WAY, NOT ONLY TO GET BRAGGING RIGHTS AFTER THE FIRST WEEKEND OF THE SEASON SERIES, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, TO HAVE THE MOMENTUM IN THEIR FAVOR GOING INTO THEIR CRUCIAL SERIES WITH THE TWINKIES!!!!

Later on,

Ken Coleman

P-S: 1908 AND BARTMAN FOREVER AND EVER AMEN!!!!

Mohoney
06-27-2004, 03:53 AM

With Timo on 1st, Zambrano was acting like Richie Tennenbaum at Wimbledon. Complete meltdown!

Mohoney
06-27-2004, 03:57 AM

That's not a true mullet. If it's curly, it's a shmelby.

Realist
06-27-2004, 08:13 AM
:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

whitesoxwin
06-27-2004, 08:20 AM
SHINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

misty60481
06-27-2004, 08:29 AM
We need to get Rowand back in lineup I noticed the right hand hitters wereb doing good against Zambrono and get Harris out of there 5 times up never hit ball out of infield save b him for pinch running