PDA

View Full Version : When Mags gets back trade

Dadawg_77
06-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Juan Uribe? With Mags in Right, Rowand and Perez could platoon in center. Harris takes over second. Some teams may be overvaulting Juan from his April and we might be able to steal quality bullpen pitcher or starter. We would lose pop form our second baseman but can some OBP, thus with construction of the team, we would be better off.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-26-2004, 03:41 PM
no

South Side
06-26-2004, 04:05 PM
no
No.

mendozaln
06-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Uribe as a prospect (to take over for Valentin) is too valuable. I'm not saying he's a sure thing, and he's probably not as good as the beginning of this season would indicate, but he's the best young SS we have. Don't swap him for a middle reliever, swap someone who has more to prove.

Malgar 12
06-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Are you nuts? Harris is slowing growing roots on the bench for a reason. He can't hit.

jabrch
06-26-2004, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't give him up cheaply - since he is likely to be our SS next year, but if a team made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I am not so tied to Uribe that I wouldn't consider trading him. It just wouldn't be for a middle reliever type guy, it would have to be for both a SP and a lockdown pen guy. (For Garcia and Guardado? - Buh Bye Uribe!)

IlliniSoxFan
06-26-2004, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't give him up cheaply - since he is likely to be our SS next year, but if a team made me an offer I couldn't refuse, I am not so tied to Uribe that I wouldn't consider trading him. It just wouldn't be for a middle reliever type guy, it would have to be for both a SP and a lockdown pen guy. (For Garcia and Guardado? - Buh Bye Uribe!)
Do we think that we're not going to keep Jose next year?

BigEdWalsh
06-26-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm not even sure what channel I just heard this on because I was flipping from one to another looking for game highlights. Anyway I think it was channel 7. They mentioned that there's a 7-player-deal being discussed with the Braves revolving around Maggs. This is "likely" to happen before the All-Star break.

Anybody have any more info?

AnkleSox
06-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Jose has really been stepping it up since the beginning of the season. He's no longer an easy strikeout like he was through most of april and may. He continues to be a clutch player with great power hitting in the late innings, and he hasn't been making errors like he was at the beginning of the season either.

He also has one of the best attitudes on the team, and we all know that the Sox need to maintain an overall positive outlook.

jabrch
06-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Do we think that we're not going to keep Jose next year?
I'd keep him - if the price was right. I like having his bat in the order - he is the lefty power hitter that we need. I would have no problem keeping him - but I wouldn't pay him 5mm.

jabrch
06-26-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm not even sure what channel I just heard this on because I was flipping from one to another looking for game highlights. Anyway I think it was channel 7. They mentioned that there's a 7-player-deal being discussed with the Braves revolving around Maggs. This is "likely" to happen before the All-Star break.

7 players? Wow

I am curious - that's for sure.

South Side
06-27-2004, 12:11 AM

KW has already said 10 times that Maggs will not be traded.

gobears1987
06-27-2004, 12:14 AM

The deal is for a 5th starter, Mags isn't involved. The Sox would trade Rauch and some minor leaguers. It may not happen as we seem to have found 2 5th starters (including Rauch).

oeo
06-27-2004, 12:31 AM
The deal is for a 5th starter, Mags isn't involved. The Sox would trade Rauch and some minor leaguers. It may not happen as we seem to have found 2 5th starters (including Rauch).
Who would we be getting out of this? Because if its a for sure, great SP, then I'm all for the new guy rather than Rauch and Diaz.

gobears1987
06-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Who would we be getting out of this? Because if its a for sure, great SP, then I'm all for the new guy rather than Rauch and Diaz.It is for Russ Ortiz I think he's 5-4 with an ERA of 4. He pitched 7 shutout innings today.

It is for sure that Mags is not part of this deal.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Me thinks all of you will want to read Rick Morrissey's and Phil Rogers' Tribune columns on Sunday.

It appears this 'Maggs to Atlanta' talk has some teeth, with Ortiz, Andruw Jones and Maggs being the biggest names but four others are apparently also involved.

Lip

Mohoney
06-27-2004, 03:52 AM

Here's more info.

If I see Maggs in a Braves uni in '04, I'll hang myself by my shoelaces.

BigEdWalsh
06-27-2004, 08:36 AM
KW has already said 10 times that Maggs will not be traded.
And Nixon said he wasn't a crook, too.:gulp:

Dadawg_77
06-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Well most of you know I am not the biggest fan of Uribe, think he has a lot of holes in his game. Second, I think there is a major difference between Jose and Juan, with Juan leaving us wanting. Jose is a second tier Short stop and unless we get a top tier SS (we won't) I wouldn't give up on Jose. Thirdly, I believe Juan could be grossly overrated by GMs at this point and trading him now, would get us better talent in return. I am not suggesting trading him for chop liver but a 3 starter type of pitcher or stud bullpen guy. Harris struggles could because of him moving to center, but it isn't like Juan is struggling. So ever if Harris continues to struggle the only thing we will lose is some pop (500slg to 300), which this lineup could afford.

Dadawg_77
06-27-2004, 12:18 PM
If we get Ortiz and Jones for Mags, it could be a good trade. Jones would upgrade our OF defense, but we would lose a lot at the plate. The gain of Ortiz is what could push it over the top to being a good trade but this is his walk year. The Sox would have Jones under contract till 08.