Pitches 61-75 .689

Mr. Hyde:

Innings 7-9 1.016
Pitches 76-90 .877
Pitches 91-105 1.044
Pitches 106-120 1.118

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 11:52 AM
If we resign Garland next year, I can only hope that it is to take the fifth spot in the rotation. And in turn he shouldn't be upgraded from the $2 mill he's making this year.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Reading the reports of the game today and the comments from some of the Cubs, you get the sense they knew garland was going to lose it. That it was just a matter of time.

He can pitch very well for fix, six, seven innings but he always seems to have that one bad inning that kills him.

A pitcher's performance has to be judged on what he does every inning you can't just say well he pitched great for fix out of the six innngs or whatever.

I don't know if Garland will ever get over his tendency to lose focus for an inning or so.

Lip

Flight #24
06-26-2004, 12:39 PM
I don't know if Garland will ever get over his tendency to lose focus for an inning or so.

Lip
To borrow from Yogi - 99% of Garland's game is 90% mental. You could see him beginning to fall apart after the Hollandsworth error at first. I thought he had it back together after the run scored, but after the Uribe error, you could see him lose it again.

I was hopeful when Coop came out that he'd be settled down, and I guess he DID go after Grud instead of nibbling around the edges (which is usually what gets him in trouble.

I was hopefuly Ozzie's confidence building could help him get through it, maybe he still can.

TDog
06-26-2004, 02:38 PM
To borrow from Yogi - 99% of Garland's game is 90% mental. You could see him beginning to fall apart after the Hollandsworth error at first. I thought he had it back together after the run scored, but after the Uribe error, you could see him lose it again.

I was hopeful when Coop came out that he'd be settled down, and I guess he DID go after Grud instead of nibbling around the edges (which is usually what gets him in trouble.

I was hopefuly Ozzie's confidence building could help him get through it, maybe he still can.
Because I work in a different time zone, I didn't have an opportunity to see the game. But in looking at Garland's bad inning, it looks like it might have been scoreless if not for bonehead defense, initiated by Garland himself. I dont' know if the groundout that scored the run could have been a potential doubleplay ball if the runner had been at first, but it seemed obvious that the Uribe error rattled him.

A starting pitcher has to go five innings to get the win, but he has to go beyond five innings to be considered outstanding, unless he'l wearing a Cubs uniform.

Flight #24
06-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Because I work in a different time zone, I didn't have an opportunity to see the game. But in looking at Garland's bad inning, it looks like it might have been scoreless if not for bonehead defense, initiated by Garland himself. I dont' know if the groundout that scored the run could have been a potential doubleplay ball if the runner had been at first, but it seemed obvious that the Uribe error rattled him.

A starting pitcher has to go five innings to get the win, but he has to go beyond five innings to be considered outstanding, unless he'l wearing a Cubs uniform.
Yes, the RBI groundout was hit softly to Valentin just left of 2B. So unless Hollandsworth was running on the pitch, it likely would have been a DP.

Still - Jon needs to be able to pitch through some mishaps to take the next step.

Unrelated: There HAD to be a record for Jon's in a single game during this series: Sox have Garland, Rauch, Adkins. Cubs have Leiceseter. What - are mothers getting too lazy to write in the "H" nowadays?