PDA

View Full Version : Maggs to Braves????

ILL-INI S.Sider
06-26-2004, 10:55 AM
According to Bruce Levine WMVP 1000, the Atlanta Braves are very interested in Magglio Ordonez. If anything were to happen, Russ Ortiz would probably be part of some blockbuster deal. Currently nothing has taken place, however both teams are scouting eachothers.

MRKARNO
06-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Levine is reporting that the Braves are interested in Magglio Ordonez. Would you trade Magglio Ordonez if you could get Russ Ortiz AND John Smoltz without having to give up a prospect? I probably would do that.

IlliniSoxFan
06-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Give us Andruw Jones and Russ Ortiz, and we're talking. Just for Russ Ortiz and John Smoltz, I'm not so excited. NOW, if Maggs goes there for the year and we could resign him out of free agency, a la Ponson and the Orioles, then maybe. But, we could still use his bat this year.

Foulke You
06-26-2004, 11:01 AM
If you can get Ortiz AND Smoltz, I would do this deal on the condition that KW gets another big bat in trade. Our offense has looked mighty sick recently without Maggs and I think another bat to replace him would be necessary providing KW moves him.

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 11:03 AM
If trading Maggs got us the division, I would certainly be open for it. I'm just not sure it would make us better, and it certainly wouldn't be a guarantee. However, I'm open for anything at this point, especially if it doesn't require us giving up the highly touted outfield prospects.

SoxxoS
06-26-2004, 11:04 AM
How about acquiring Carl Everett from the Expos, then trading Maggs for Ortiz and Smoltz. Sounds good to me.

We can't trade Maggs without getting a RF replacement. Actually, I wouldn't mind sticking Gload out there.

jabrch
06-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Smoltz has already said he wants to be a starter next year. His option for 2005 will likely vest assuming he isn't injured - so to me, I'd do this provided Cooper thinks he can convert him back to a starter during the offseason. That would put us in decent shape next year, and not hurt us too much this year - provided we can get a OF, or that Borchard/Reed are ready now. I'd certainly consider this.

MRKARNO
06-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Our offense has looked mighty sick recently without Maggs and I think another bat to replace him would be necessary providing KW moves him.
I dont buy this assertion that our offense is doing any worse without Magglio. On the whole of the year we're scored an average of 5.73 runs per game and since Magglio was put on the DL we've scored 5.92 runs per game. Now maybe we could be doing even better than that if he were here, but our offense has not been worse as a whole since he went on the DL. What has been worse on the whole has been our pitching. On the year we have given up 4.89 runs per game while in Magglio's absence we've given up 5.42 runs per game. That .5 runs per game is pretty big in the grand scheme of things and has led to our June slump. If our pitching gets back on track, we'll be sitting pretty once again.

SoxxoS
06-26-2004, 11:16 AM
I dont buy this assertion that our offense is doing any worse without Magglio. On the whole of the year we're scored an average of 5.73 runs per game and since Magglio was put on the DL we've scored 5.92 runs per game. Now maybe we could be doing even better than that if he were here, but our offense has not been worse as a whole since he went on the DL. What has been worse on the whole has been our pitching. On the year we have given up 4.89 runs per game while in Magglio's absence we've given up 5.42 runs per game. That .5 runs per game is pretty big in the grand scheme of things and has led to our June slump. If our pitching gets back on track, we'll be sitting pretty once again.
Good point, but that could be just a fluke. We can't be trotting out Gload and Rowand out there. We need a viable replacment, which is why I recommend Everett.

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Good point, but that could be just a fluke. We can't be trotting out Gload and Rowand out there. We need a viable replacment, which is why I recommend Everett.But wouldn't Borchard be a viable option if we received good pitching for Maggs?

Mickster
06-26-2004, 11:17 AM
DON'T GET RID OF MAGGS.:mad:

Madbilly
06-26-2004, 11:24 AM
How about acquiring Carl Everett from the Expos, then trading Maggs for Ortiz and Smoltz. Sounds good to me.

We can't trade Maggs without getting a RF replacement. Actually, I wouldn't mind sticking Gload out there.
Why would we want Everett back the last time I looked he was hitting about .240 something, thats not exactly what I would call a "BIG BAT"

jabrch
06-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Before they move Magglio, I expect they would make him one last and final offer. Take it - or leave it Magglio. We aren't letting you walk and getting nothing back, so this is your chance to decide. something fair like 4/50-52 or so - whatever Garrett Anderson just got from Anaheim. Striaght deal. If he turns that down and puts the ball back in JRs court, JR and KW have no other choice but to do what's in the franchises best interest.

Cubbiesuck13
06-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Good point, but that could be just a fluke. We can't be trotting out Gload and Rowand out there. We need a viable replacment, which is why I recommend Everett.
you mean we can't trot rowand, a guy who was a RF all his life before the majors, to play RF?

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 11:42 AM
you mean we can't trot rowand, a guy who was a RF all his life before the majors, to play RF?That would be insane! :redneck

SoxxoS
06-26-2004, 11:45 AM
you mean we can't trot rowand, a guy who was a RF all his life before the majors, to play RF?
Randar, you want to take this one?

Cubbiesuck13
06-26-2004, 11:46 AM
That would be insane! :redneck
what does green mean?

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 11:48 AM
what does green mean?I don't know, I use all colors for sarcasm.

Cubbiesuck13
06-26-2004, 11:50 AM
I don't know, I use all colors for sarcasm.
i gotcha

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Randar, you want to take this one?If we got some front line pitching for Maggs, I'll risk Rowand out there. Whether he can keep it up for the rest of the season is up for debate, but the guy is playing like he was thought to be capable of. You can't argue that he hasn't shown he deserves playing time, and right is his natural spot.

Cubbiesuck13
06-26-2004, 11:53 AM
If we got some front line pitching for Maggs, I'll risk Rowand out there. Whether he can keep it up for the rest of the season is up for debate, but the guy is playing like he was thought to be capable of. You can't argue that he hasn't shown he deserves playing time, and right is his natural spot.
their heads will explode if they hear anymore truth about rowand.

if rowand does go to right, that will free up center for Reed who everyone wanted to see play up hear everyday right?

somewhere, heads are exploding.

Maracucho
06-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Levine is reporting that the Braves are interested in Magglio Ordonez. Would you trade Magglio Ordonez if you could get Russ Ortiz AND John Smoltz without having to give up a prospect? I probably would do that.

From what I understand Russ Ortiz is a free agent after this year and John Smoltz' salary for next year is $12 million, not exactly what I would call a favorable deal in terms of money.
We would be renting Ortiz, which is fine for this year's run, but we would be stuck with a very expensive closer that wants to become a starter. Besides I think the Sox can make better use of the $12 million for next year.

Of course if it was Andrew Jones and Russ Ortiz...

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 11:56 AM
their heads will explode if they hear anymore truth about rowand.

if rowand does go to right, that will free up center for Reed who everyone wanted to see play up hear everyday right?

somewhere, heads are exploding.Lol. I would be okay with Reed brought up for the CF spot or Borchard for right. If we had the pitching, we would be able to get away with that, and maybe even get a big surprise.

habibharu
06-26-2004, 11:57 AM
maggs should be traded, but only if we get top prospects not guys like ortiz. a package of andruw jones, and prospects would do it.

Cubbiesuck13
06-26-2004, 12:00 PM
maggs should be traded, but only if we get top prospects not guys like ortiz. a package of andruw jones, and prospects would do it.
well if you think that maggs is worth jones and prospects it is hard to believe that you want KW fired.

CWSGuy406
06-26-2004, 12:10 PM
What about getting JD Drew out of a deal like this? He'd certainly be a solid replacement, plus a lefty bat.

Ortiz, Drew, and Smoltz/Reitsma (some quality Reliever)

for

Magglio

Thoughts?

Flight #24
06-26-2004, 12:21 PM
What about getting JD Drew out of a deal like this? He'd certainly be a solid replacement, plus a lefty bat.

for

Magglio

Thoughts?
IIRC, Nancy Drew's a free agent after this year. Plus there's a reason I'm calling him "Nancy". Any team signing him as a regular better have a pretty good OF on the bench....

owensmouth
06-26-2004, 12:31 PM
I can see White Flag II flapping in the breeze

Paulwny
06-26-2004, 12:44 PM
I also am getting this feeling.
JR was last seen digging this flag and "the Kids Can Play" banner out of his closet and handing them to KW.

Cubbiesuck13
06-26-2004, 12:45 PM
JR was last seen digging this flag and "the Kids Can Play" banner out of his closet and handing them to KW.
what makes you think that?

CWSGuy406
06-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Why would trading for a 20 game winner, a solid OFer, and another solid reliever be 'White Flaggin' it?

Hangar18
06-26-2004, 12:50 PM
If the SOX trade Maggs for a 4.00 era RUSS ORTIZ NL pitcher......
that translates to 6.00 era in the AL, and we COULDVE GOTTEN THIS GUY
previously...........I'll stop being a sox fan. no wonder we havnt been to a
Series since 1959.

Paulwny
06-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Why would trading for a 20 game winner, a solid OFer, and another solid reliever be 'White Flaggin' it?

I don't believe this trade will happen.
We'll be sellers for prospects and once again wait for "The Kids Can Play".

habibharu
06-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Why would trading for a 20 game winner, a solid OFer, and another solid reliever be 'White Flaggin' it? ortiz is not a "real" 20 game winner. by that i mean that his ERA didnt warrant him winning 20 games, his offense did. his ERA was almost 4 last year

owensmouth
06-26-2004, 01:00 PM
You don't trade a Magglio Ordonez for a package of mid range players. You trade a Magglio Ordonez for a top of the line pitcher, who will win at least 10 more games for you this year.

Anything less is an admission that you cannot and will not try to sign him. Atlanta has only one player that I would trade Maggs for and No one has indicated that Andrew Jones is available.

habibharu
06-26-2004, 01:01 PM
i think that a perfect deal for the sox would be maggs for zito straight up

WinningUgly!
06-26-2004, 01:02 PM

for

Magglio

Thoughts?
I'd do this in half a heartbeat. No way Atlanta would.

oldcomiskey
06-26-2004, 01:07 PM
I get so damn sick and tired of this---guys, get over it---we were not gonna sign those guys back anyway and if youll think back none of the pitvhers we gave up in "white flag" pitched effectively after we got rid of them. and if KW doed not trade Magglio and he signs somewhere else youll be the very ones comlaining that he didnt get any thing for Ordonez

MRKARNO
06-26-2004, 01:17 PM
From what I understand Russ Ortiz is a free agent after this year and John Smoltz' salary for next year is $12 million, not exactly what I would call a favorable deal in terms of money.
We would be renting Ortiz, which is fine for this year's run, but we would be stuck with a very expensive closer that wants to become a starter. Besides I think the Sox can make better use of the $12 million for next year.

Of course if it was Andrew Jones and Russ Ortiz...
I think Smoltz has a club option for next year, so if we dont want him, then we can let him go and get 2 more draft picks.

CWSGuy406
06-26-2004, 01:17 PM
You don't trade a Magglio Ordonez for a package of mid range players. You trade a Magglio Ordonez for a top of the line pitcher, who will win at least 10 more games for you this year.

Anything less is an admission that you cannot and will not try to sign him. Atlanta has only one player that I would trade Maggs for and No one has indicated that Andrew Jones is available.
Andruw Jones is really overrated IMO. He's what this team DOESN'T need, a righty power bat who strikes out a lot. Other than his glove, I don't want him.

Drew is hitting .291 and getting on base at a .414 clip. I don't think Ortiz would be great, but he'd be a good number 3 for us. And if they wanted to put in Smoltz (doubtful), then I would pack Maggs' bags for him.

Viva Magglio
06-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Do not trade Mágglio. I would only open the door to that possibility if what we get in return would virtually guarantee us a World Championship, but I don't think such a deal could be made.

MRKARNO
06-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Drew is hitting .291 and getting on base at a .414 clip.
I dont think you could get JD Drew for Magglio straight up.

Brian26
06-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Guys-

Smoltz isn't going anywhere.

He's stated publically many times, even as recently as two weekends ago when the Sox were playing the Braves, that he wants to end his career in an Atlanta Braves uniform. Playing for the same franchise, not counting his start in Detroit's organization, has always been important to him.

Secondally, the deal doesn't make sense for obvious financial considerations.

That particular deal just doesn't make much sense.

habibharu
06-26-2004, 01:54 PM
trade on sportsline boards: diaz,valentin, wunsch,darrensburg for ortiz and furcal. obviously complete BS

pasquasroachclip
06-26-2004, 01:57 PM
If they trade Mags for pitching, what about a deal then for Steve Finley? He probably wouldn't cost too much in a trade, being that he's 39 & a free agent after this year. A left-handed stick with power plus he's a decent CF, then they can move Rowand to right. Just a thought.

soxtalker
06-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Can anyone talk about this from Atlanta's perpsective? The rumor is that this is a 7-player trade. If they are acquiring Maggs, that means that they are going for the division this year. So, they are trying to fill holes and not create others. What else do the Braves need? What can they afford to give up?

ma-gaga
06-26-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't know why some people think that you'll get a better deal than what KC got for Beltran.

You'll get a equal player with an expiring contract (Garciaparra), or some prospects. And not necessarily Grade A types.

It's almost worth letting him walk away...

Navaro's Talent
06-26-2004, 07:06 PM
I would be fine with a trade like this to get pitching, but I want starting pitching. I don't want to get Smoltz because he is too expensive and I don't see anything wrong with the much cheaper Shingo Takatsu for closing games. I would like to see Ortiz, though. He might perform well with a new setting.

greenpeach
06-26-2004, 07:11 PM

WOTS in Atlanta is that Andruw Jones is being shopped around by the Braves. Although he's still relatively young, 27-years-old, & has unlimited potential, Braves management is getting tired of waiting for him to blossom into one of the game's premier players. This year, he's at least 20-25 pounds overweight & doesn't always play hard. He can be gotten for the right price.

SEALgep
06-26-2004, 07:35 PM
WOTS in Atlanta is that Andruw Jones is being shopped around by the Braves. Although he's still relatively young, 27-years-old, & has unlimited potential, Braves management is getting tired of waiting for him to blossom into one of the game's premier players. This year, he's at least 20-25 pounds overweight & doesn't always play hard. He can be gotten for the right price.$12.5 mill? I can see why they're shopping him. Hell of a fielder, but his bat doesn't justify that salary. I'll my chances with what we have, including who we have in our system.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2004, 11:55 PM
I've seen the Braves games on WTBS and Jones is NOT 20-25 pounds overweight. If he was he couldn't get to half of the balls he's been catching.

As to this 'deal,' there seems to be something to it. Both Rick Morrissey of the Tribune and Phil Rogers have columns on it Sunday.

Lip

Deadguy
06-27-2004, 12:04 AM
I don't know why some people think that you'll get a better deal than what KC got for Beltran.

You'll get a equal player with an expiring contract (Garciaparra), or some prospects. And not necessarily Grade A types.

It's almost worth letting him walk away...
No kidding. People who think we're getting multiple quality players for Magglio are out of their minds.

Magglio's value to this team is clearly worth more for the rest of 2004, then what we can get from another team.

The A's held onto Tejada and Giambi besides the fact that they knew they couldn't afford them because they were making playoff runs at the time. Magglio is needed for the playoff run this season, and his trade value does not merit getting rid of him, even if we can't sign him.

MRKARNO
06-27-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm fine with our lineup as it is now, without Maggs. If you put Andrew Jones in Center and put Rowand in right (or Timo or Gload on some days), I like this lineup even more. Who wouldnt like this lineup along with Russ Ortiz?:

Rowand RF
Uribe 2B
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Valentin SS
Konerko 1B
Jones CF
Crede 3b
Olivo/Alomar C

Maggs is going to improve this lineup when he comes back, but I dont want him to leave for nothing if we could get a multi-year bat and a one year pitcher in return. Our rotation would be Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Ortiz and Schoenweis.

Mohoney
06-27-2004, 02:37 AM

The minute Magglio is traded, I'm done. I'll give the rest of my split-season plan to any taker on this board, free of charge. Name me the last team that WON A WORLD SERIES while trading away a perennial all-star in midseason.

If we are even ENTERTAINING thoughts of trading Maggs, then we aren't even making an attempt for going for a championship this year.

In my opinion, this is the last year for this core group. If we don't make the playoffs NOW, it's doom and gloom for the next five years. Both Cleveland and Detroit have a GIANT head start on their rebuilding programs, and with all the free agents that we will have defecting between next off season and the '05 off season, we will be closer to 5th place than 1st place by 2006.

We need to gamble and go for it NOW. Trading Magglio this season seals our fate as a moribund franchise for the next half-decade.

Mohoney
06-27-2004, 02:44 AM
I'm fine with our lineup as it is now, without Maggs. If you put Andrew Jones in Center and put Rowand in right (or Timo or Gload on some days), I like this lineup even more. Who wouldnt like this lineup along with Russ Ortiz?:

Rowand RF
Uribe 2B
Thomas DH
Lee LF
Valentin SS
Konerko 1B
Jones CF
Crede 3b
Olivo/Alomar C

Maggs is going to improve this lineup when he comes back, but I dont want him to leave for nothing if we could get a multi-year bat and a one year pitcher in return. Our rotation would be Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Ortiz and Schoenweis.

I don't like this lineup!

Is Oriiz' ERA under 4?

If not, we're in trouble.

Quite a few teams have a #3 guy that could hold that lineup to under 4 runs. Therefore, we begin to see the chinks in Russ's armor, and we lose even more ground in this division.

Not to mention, Andruw Jones has his head SQUARE up his ass on about 75% of his at-bats.

johnny_mostil
06-27-2004, 10:08 AM
In my opinion, this is the last year for this core group. If we don't make the playoffs NOW, it's doom and gloom for the next five years. Both Cleveland and Detroit have a GIANT head start on their rebuilding programs, and with all the free agents that we will have defecting between next off season and the '05 off season, we will be closer to 5th place than 1st place by 2006.

Although Cleveland must beware the Royals Disease they could get from assuming that fluke career seasons by certain players are real changes in ability, and Detroit bought most of their improvement and aren't likely to sustain it, you are otherwise correct. The White Sox farm system has been underproducing for a long time and has cost the Sox dearly for a couple of years.

My guess is that the Sox are talking Ortiz-for-flotsam and the Braves are the ones trying to expand the deal into Ordonez/Jones. I don't see it going at this point. If he swaps *Lee* into the deal instead I'm for it. Jones, baggage and all, is a MUCH better player than Carlos Lee. The sad thing is, Lee for AJones and ROrtiz would probably go... and make the Sox better today AND tomorrow by getting rid of their mediocre left fielder and ensuring that they don't have to play all their up-and-coming corner outfielders out of position.

People forget that Andruw Jones is a 35-homer man and a brilliant defensive outfielder. He's struggling a bit right now, reducing his value.

Whereas, Lee is a mediocre left fielder and can be replaced by a platoon of (probably) Reed and Rowand, or perhaps Borchard by himself. You know, Earl Weaver's left fielder, a composite.

johnny_mostil
06-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Not to mention, Andruw Jones has his head SQUARE up his ass on about 75% of his at-bats.
Unlike, say, Carlos?

Wealz
06-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Jones will outperform Ordonez over the next 3.5 years. Take it to the bank.

Jjav829
06-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Jones will outperform Ordonez over the next 3.5 years. Take it to the bank.Let me know when he manages to get his OPS over .900 again. Or his average above .280 for that matter. Andruw Jones is a poor mans Sammy Sosa though with much better defense. Swing as hard as you can and hope you hit it. If not, go back to the bench with yet another K.

I'd pass on this deal unless I knew I could get some other sucker to take on Jones' high salary for more pitching. If say the Mariners had interest in a Garcia for Jones swap, and we could come away with Ortiz and Garcia for Maggs, Rauch and whoever, then I'd have to consider it. I don't see the Braves wanting to pick up any of Jones' salary.

harwar
06-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Jones will outperform Ordonez over the next 3.5 years. Take it to the bank.I couldn't disagree more.
Maggs over the next 3 years will be rated one of the top 5 outfielders in the game.
Anyway,any trade that KW is trying to pull off secretly is probably being hindered because everyone and their brother seems to be talking about it.
KW likes to fly under the radar.

Philo-Sox-er
06-27-2004, 10:47 AM
We'd have to get more than Jones in a deal for Maggs, like a pitcher.

I think Jones would be great--he saves pitchers 50 runs a year with his defense. But he is signed to a contract that pays him way too much. I agree, that I'd rather keep Maggs and pay him that money.

But if they threw in a quality pitcher to boot, then it makes it harder to decide.

What I would like to see, I saw someone post on WSI in the past few days, is the Sox offer Maggs a straight deal and see if he takes it. If not, then maybe we should try and get more than draft picks for losing him. After all we are trying to win this year and beyond.

Wealz
06-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Let me know when he manages to get his OPS over .900 again. Or his average above .280 for that matter. Andruw Jones is a poor mans Sammy Sosa though with much better defense. Swing as hard as you can and hope you hit it. If not, go back to the bench with yet another K..
Turner Field is a difficult place to hit especially for right-handed hitters. He'd hit 40 homers in his sleep at the Cell while playing an excellent defensive centerfield. No doubt he's struggling this year, but I'd rather have Jones in center at ages 28-30 than Ordonez in right at ages 31-33.

jabrch
06-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Frankly, at this point in time, I am happy with the play we have gotten from CF, both offensively and defensively. Harris and Rowand are fine. Get Magglio back, and our offense will hum again. If he were here on friday, we MAY not have lost that game to the Cubs - his impact on both ends of the field might have easily made the difference. I am open to trading Ordonez, but the deal has to make us significantly stronger. Ortiz and Jones is not enough. Jones is a problem since his contract is so expensive. Given the play we get from Harris and Rowand lately, I'd rather not spend 12mm on Jones.

Here's a thought though. Make it a 3 way. Pull that deal, and get Atlanta to pay enough of Jones' contract to buy it down to current market value based on his performance. (would be below Garrett Anderson, so lets say only 10mm per) Send Jones to Milwaukee along with either Rauch or Diaz for Sheets. Milwaukee can have a great OF with Posednik moving to a corner and Jones playing CF. (He is under contract for 4 more years for them at an affordable level, I think - but with their budget, who knows?) We'd get Sheets, who can have an impact for us not only today, but in the future, AND Ortiz.

Now you are talking Loaiza, Buehrle, Sheets, Garland and Ortiz. OF is Lee with Crash/Harris/Borchard/Reed. Also leaves us in a position to chase Finley who is supposed to be available cheaply.

Just talking out loud.

I'd trade Magglio - but only in a deal that improves this team significantly.

jabrch
06-27-2004, 11:42 AM
The minute Magglio is traded, I'm done. I'll give the rest of my split-season plan to any taker on this board, free of charge. Name me the last team that WON A WORLD SERIES while trading away a perennial all-star in midseason.

Can I get in the front of the line for this one Mahoney?

Mohoney
06-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Can I get in the front of the line for this one Mahoney?

You're the first taker. Now, pray to God that this trade doesn't happen.

By the way, this isn't you, is it?

:woo-woo:

nitetrain8601
06-29-2004, 12:15 AM

Let me get in on that deal. I'll pay you for the parking pass too buddy.

Now about the topic, I wouldn't mind trading Maggs, but I would want someone like Zito and a prospect OF in return. Or why not go after Kelvim Escobar(3.56ERA) and Jose Guillen for Maggs and if they want Rauch? I think that deal is more reasonable than getting Jones and Ortiz from Atl.

Mohoney
06-29-2004, 12:38 AM

Now about the topic, I wouldn't mind trading Maggs, but I would want someone like Zito and a prospect OF in return. Or why not go after Kelvim Escobar(3.56ERA) and Jose Guillen for Maggs and if they want Rauch? I think that deal is more reasonable than getting Jones and Ortiz from Atl.

Sorry, nitetrain. Jabrch gets 1st dibbs, unless I open my front door to this scenario:

"I'm here about the tickets."

jabrch
06-29-2004, 12:40 AM

Zito has been terrible. I'd much rather have Ortiz and Jones than Zito. I don't see Anaheim trading Guillen and Escobar for Magglio.

jabrch
06-29-2004, 12:42 AM
LOL...

Let's hope you don't hand me over the tickets. That would indeed be sad for everyone. (Although I would love to have season tickets for the rest of the year!)

Sorry, nitetrain. Jabrch gets 1st dibbs, unless I open my front door to this scenario:

"I'm here about the tickets."

nitetrain8601
06-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Zito has been terrible. I'd much rather have Ortiz and Jones than Zito. I don't see Anaheim trading Guillen and Escobar for Magglio.
I would say they at least listen. A possible Maggs and Rauch for Guillen and Escobar.

jabrch
06-29-2004, 12:48 AM
I would say they at least listen. A possible Maggs and Rauch for Guillen and Escobar.
I'd do it in a HEARTBEAT. I'd miss Magglio. But my White Sox World Champions poster would make me forget about him quickly!

And that Garcia jersey in black....Looks AWESOME!

nitetrain8601
06-29-2004, 12:54 AM
I'd do it in a HEARTBEAT. I'd miss Magglio. But my White Sox World Champions poster would make me forget about him quickly!

And that Garcia jersey in black....Looks AWESOME!
Thanks, I could make one in Grey and White. I'd also forget about Maggs quickly if KW was able to do this. I think it's realistic. I don't see Ortiz being any better than Escobar at all. And Escobar is signed for a couple of years and is younger. I don't see how you can't see if you could get him first. Maggs is a top 10 player and top 3 OF IMO and when you throw in a pitcher with potential like Rauch for a nice pitcher(I wouldn't call him top notch) and someone who's a above average fielder, I think both teams get equal value and I could see Maggs staying with Anaheim too.

FarWestChicago
06-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Zito has been terrible. I'd much rather have Ortiz and Jones than Zito. I don't see Anaheim trading Guillen and Escobar for Magglio.Getting Zito :smokin: might not be bad if he left his bong in Oakland. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

jabrch
06-29-2004, 01:07 AM
Getting Zito :smokin: might not be bad if he left his bong in Oakland. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I don't think he leaves his bong in his apartment when he goes to the park in the morning - much less if he had to go 2000 miles east. Zito has good stuff - but hitters aren't having much a problem with him anymore. Opponents are hitting .285 against him. That's poor. His ERA is ok - at 4.5, but his WHIP is 1.52 - way too many baserunners. All of this in Oakland, a pitchers park with all that foul territory. No thanks - not intersted at the price he'd cost.

Can you imagine the FOBB going nuts about how KW got screwed by BB?

FarWestChicago
06-29-2004, 01:14 AM
I don't think he leaves his bong in his apartment when he goes to the park in the morning - much less if he had to go 2000 miles east. Zito has good stuff - but hitters aren't having much a problem with him anymore. Opponents are hitting .285 against him. That's poor. His ERA is ok - at 4.5, but his WHIP is 1.52 - way too many baserunners. All of this in Oakland, a pitchers park with all that foul territory. No thanks - not intersted at the price he'd cost.

Can you imagine the FOBB going nuts about how KW got screwed by BB?You've got a point there. I think he has one in the bullpen. When Zito :smokin: started against the Giants this weekend (Sabean 2 - Beane 1) he got rocked early. Then he settled down and looked like the Zito of old. I don't think they let him party in the dugout. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Man Soo Lee
06-29-2004, 01:24 AM
"I have not had one conversation with regards to Mags with [Atlanta GM] John Schuerholz," Williams said. "And I have spoken with him."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040628soxbits,1,7607089.story?coll=cs-home-headlines