PDA

View Full Version : How are you passing "Sox Pride" to the next generation?

hsnterprize
06-26-2004, 10:26 AM
I was thinking about this when I read the story of a man whose father took him to Sox games, and that same father, now a grandfather, is taking the man's 2-year-old daughter to games. So I thought I'd ask you parents here on WSI how you're teaching your kids the values of "Sox Pride"? Here's my take...

I haven't taken my kids (2 years and 11 months) to a game yet, but they're learning, and they're learning fast. My oldest boy, Joshua, is a Sox fan. He has a black Sox cap, a Sox jersey, and even a red 70's-style replica batting helmet. Ironically, the batting helmet came from his Cubbie-loving grandpa.

Josh can say "Go White Sox", and "Cubs...BOO!!!!!!!!!" He looks funny when he puts on the helmet, swings his arms like he's hitting a ball, and runs around a kitchen/living room dividing wall like he's running the bases.

I became a Sox fan partially because my dad was one. And now, I'm happy to send that Sox love down to my kids. Nathan, my 11 month old, will be trained in Soxdom soon. And with another one on the way, that'll be 3 more reasons why we shouldn't fret about the love for the south siders fading. I think #3 will be a girl. That's fine...girls can cheer for the Sox, too. As long as she doesn't marry a Cub fan, I'm happy.

Malgar 12
06-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Reproduction!

HomeFish
06-26-2004, 04:34 PM
I told a kid sitting near me at my last game not to grow up to be like Joe Crede. His father, sitting nearby, quickly agreed and told me his kid was going to grow up to be like Frank Thomas.

sox_fan_forever
06-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Since my parents aren't Sox fans I'm the one who has to teach my younger siblings who to root for. I'm proud to say that my youngest sister could say "Go Sox" before she was even two years old. :smile: