PDA

View Full Version : Heckling Sammy Sosa

jabrch
06-25-2004, 10:50 PM
So I was lucky to be sitting in the 2nd row, just even with 1B, on top of the Cubs dugout. I was there while the players were warming up, and was a bit vocal. My comments included, "Hey Sammy, if you learned to hit a cutoff man, you might have a ring" and "Sammy, if you could run the bases, you wouldn't have lost yesterday."

Sammy clearly heard me. He finally came over to the dugout, and acknowledged me by sticking his tongue out at me. I smiled, laughed, and gave him his 2 fingered tap across my chest - just to acknowledge him back. He pointed at me (dressed in my 83 jersey and my sox hat, and tossed a ball at me. I caught it, and handed it to some poor little 8 year old girl in a Cubs hat. (It's not her fault her parents raised her wrong, is it?)

I gotta give the steroid user credit. He was cool, and did a classy thing trying to give me a souverenier. (sp?) I didn't want his ball - obviously, but I think I made a little girl happy. (it's been a long time since I can say that!!!)

Anyhow, bad loss, bad defense, bad game. But I hope that little girl walked away happy.

Cellview22
06-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Nice Story!:smile: What was the scene like, crowd-wise?

1951Campbell
06-25-2004, 10:59 PM
So I was lucky to be sitting in the 2nd row, just even with 1B, on top of the Cubs dugout. I was there while the players were warming up, and was a bit vocal. My comments included, "Hey Sammy, if you learned to hit a cutoff man, you might have a ring" and "Sammy, if you could run the bases, you wouldn't have lost yesterday."

Sammy clearly heard me. He finally came over to the dugout, and acknowledged me by sticking his tongue out at me. I smiled, laughed, and gave him his 2 fingered tap across my chest - just to acknowledge him back. He pointed at me (dressed in my 83 jersey and my sox hat, and tossed a ball at me. I caught it, and handed it to some poor little 8 year old girl in a Cubs hat. (It's not her fault her parents raised her wrong, is it?)

I gotta give the steroid user credit. He was cool, and did a classy thing trying to give me a souverenier. (sp?) I didn't want his ball - obviously, but I think I made a little girl happy. (it's been a long time since I can say that!!!)

Anyhow, bad loss, bad defense, bad game. But I hope that little girl walked away happy.
Dude...slip him a super-hot taco, and all bets are off.

:)

Seriously, I bet a lot of the most hated players in the game (like Sammy) are used to whatever can be dished out. I mean, really...Jeter has heard that he swallows about 45,000,000 times from Red Sox fans. You gotta get more creative. Sneeze loudly, flop on the field, crawl up to Sammy, and say "I'm on 'roids, and I sneezed! It's all over for me! What do I do? Help me Sammy, only you know what to do if this happens!"

WinningUgly!
06-26-2004, 12:03 AM

I would've thrown the ball back.:tongue:

jabrch
06-26-2004, 08:55 AM
I would've thrown the ball back.:tongue:
Had to make a quick decision between throwing it back, or giving it to the kid. I went the high route.

The crowd was electric early. Once Garland broke down, it mellowed out. Jumped again at PKs HR.

Leaving bases loaded in the first was a killer. We needed to bust it open early against Prior.