PDA

View Full Version : When you're feeling blue about the Sox, remember this

MRKARNO
06-25-2004, 08:53 PM
What "this" is, is the Detroit/Kansas City factor. Even after the all star break, we have 14 games against Kansas City and 19 against the Tigers. That's 33 games if you're counting, which amounts to 42% of our post-all star break schedule. 14 of our last 17 games come against these two teams (and the other 3 are the Twins, who we will have a chance to gain ground on or build our lead upon.

The Twins? They see KC only 7 more times and Detroit only another 6 times, and 4 of those KC games and 2 of the Detroit games are right after the all star break. But those 13 games account for only 17% of their post all star schedule. The Twins also have 13 games against the Indians after the all star break and I can assure you that the Indians will be at least decent the entire year. In addition, the Twins last ten games come against the Indians and the Yankees.

So we could very well outperform the Twins by 10 games over the course of the post-all star break schedule. I didnt even get into how many games the Twins have against the AL west trio. In addition, we gaining 5-6 games in the last 2-3 weeks is not out of the question. So even if we are behind 5, 6, 7 games, which I dont think we will be, there is a very good chance we could still win the division

Daver
06-25-2004, 08:55 PM
The Tigers owned the Sox last year, and have gotten better from last year.

TaylorStSox
06-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Their improvement is probably a blessing. It's obvious the Sox didn't "get up" for them last year. Maybe this year they'll have the motivation to do it.

IMO, the thing that's killed this group of guys over the last 4 years is their low baseball IQ and their desire. I wonder if the FOBB have a stat for this? :redneck

MRKARNO
06-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Let's talk about the Tigers from a statistical standpoint because it's not like the Tigers beating us is something regular like getting our butts handed to us on the west coast road trip.

They really have only 4 hitters which are anything to speak of. I-rod is definately something to speak of. Sanchez has a very high average at .317, but he never walks and a lot of his hits come on bunt singles. Rondell White and Carlos Guillen have been pretty good. Carlos Pena has 9 homers, but a .230 average and a .310 OBP.

Bonderman and Maroth have been decent in the starting roles. Bonderman and Jason Johnson have not been that great. Urbina hasnt been so great in the closers role and they dont really have a bullpen.

I like our chances against this team this year.

Win1ForMe
06-25-2004, 09:24 PM
I didnt even get into how many games the Twins have against the AL west trio.
LOL! Twins play the "AL west trio" (by which I'm presuming you mean Texas, Anaheim, and Oakland) 17 times. We play them 16 times.

Instead of playing Detroit and KC, Minny plays Baltimore and Tampa. And the only difference is that they have 9 games against NY and Boston, whereas we "only" play 6 against Boston. IMO, the schedules are very similar.

Win1ForMe
06-25-2004, 09:26 PM
I like our chances against this team this year.
I liked our chances against Montreal, too.

Daver
06-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Let's talk about the Tigers from a statistical standpoint .
When numbers start playing the actual game, alert me, till then we will stick to the fact that the Tigers asshanded the Sox last season.

fquaye149
06-25-2004, 09:53 PM
I liked our chances against Montreal, too.
So what serieses can the Sox win?

The season's over! Every team will beat us.

Teal is for suckas

MRKARNO
06-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Baltimore and TB are still higher level of opponents than KC or Detroit in terms of W-L and just plain old talent. Either way, you cant dismiss or make little of the schedule disparity in the last two weeks of the season.

I suggest everyone take a look back at a game from when we were winning if you have the MLB.tv archives to remind yourselves of how good we can be. We havent shown it lately, but I'm inclined to believe that we just got unlucky and the pitching just hit it's inevitable slump all at once.

pudge
06-25-2004, 10:41 PM
I suggest everyone take a look back at a game from when we were winning if you have the MLB.tv archives to remind yourselves of how good we can be. We havent shown it lately, but I'm inclined to believe that we just got unlucky and the pitching just hit it's inevitable slump all at once.
Oh gee, you're inclined to think that Karno?? Really?? You?? Wow, shocker.

soxwon
06-25-2004, 10:48 PM
karno i love it when you analize!

Win1ForMe
06-25-2004, 11:02 PM
So what serieses can the Sox win?

The season's over! Every team will beat us.

Teal is for suckas
All I'm saying is let's not count our chickens before they hatch. That and the Sox have a way of playing down to their competition...

MRKARNO
06-25-2004, 11:16 PM
karno i love it when you analize!
Thanks Hawk!:D:

MRKARNO
06-25-2004, 11:49 PM
All I'm saying is let's not count our chickens before they hatch. That and the Sox have a way of playing down to their competition...:whiner::whiner::whiner:

fquaye149
06-26-2004, 10:27 AM
All I'm saying is let's not count our chickens before they hatch. That and the Sox have a way of playing down to their competition...
i hear that, but if you went up and down the league team by team, you could find a reason why we'd lose to any given team in baseball . .. and i hardly think the sox are the worst team in the AL, much less in the majors.

(NY Mets: we are always beat by pitchers we've traded

Pirates: Kip Wells!

Brewers: Unproven pitching kills us), etc.

SoxxoS
06-26-2004, 10:47 AM
When numbers start playing the actual game, alert me, till then we will stick to the fact that the Tigers asshanded the Sox last season.
Past doesn't dictate the future.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Depending of how long ago the 'past' was it could impact today. If you are trying to connect what Detroit did fifty years ago to today, of course it can't.

But the Sox have had a tendency the past few seasons to play so called 'poor' teams badly. They get up for the Yankees then lose to the Tigers and Devil Rays.

Those are trends that have been documented and discussed here at WSI and in the newspapers. The Sox have basically the same core team that has had this problem the past few years. They still have some of the same pitchers.

Yes there can be a connection when you are talking last year to this one unless both teams have all new rosters and managers.

Lip

WinningUgly!
06-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Depending of how long ago the 'past' was it could impact today. If you are trying to connect what Detroit did fifty years ago to today, of course it can't.

But the Sox have had a tendency the past few seasons to play so called 'poor' teams badly. They get up for the Yankees then lose to the Tigers and Devil Rays.

Those are trends that have been documented and discussed here at WSI and in the newspapers. The Sox have basically the same core team that has had this problem the past few years. They still have some of the same pitchers.

Yes there can be a connection when you are talking last year to this one unless both teams have all new rosters and managers.

Lip
The Sox were able to take care of the D-Rays this year (4-2). Let's hope they'll be able to do the same against Detroit.

mdep524
06-26-2004, 01:02 PM

IMO, the thing that's killed this group of guys over the last 4 years is their low baseball IQ and their desire.
You guys hit the nail on the head IMO. Carlos "Lowest Baseball IQ in Pro Baseball" Lee heads a cast of talented but unfortunately not smart ballplayers which also includes Uribe, Willie, Olivo, and to some extent Paulie. The problems with this are a.) poor fundamentals, b.) mental lapses and c.) inconsistent effort.... little things that cost the Sox games.

With the exceptions of Big Frank and Jose, the Sox are just not a smart team. That is what seperates them from the Twins, and that is why the Twins have more wins. I really believe for the Sox to turn into a consistent team some of these factors have to change. Willie, Olivo and Uribe are young and likely to improve as they mature. Carlos Lee on the other hand.... good player but I would just prefer to see him traded. Paulie too.