PDA

View Full Version : Harris & Uribe slump killing us!

joeynach
06-25-2004, 08:01 PM
For the whole month now since this guys have been slumping bigtime we have been losing. They were doing so good getting the fire started all the time. Bunts, steals, speed, it was our recipe for success with Thomas, Maggs, Konero, and lee behind them. We used to get off to succh great starts, keeping there pitcher and team off balance. This is really starting to affect us. These guys are key to our success, granted the maggs thing hurts, but i beleive that our slump this month is due to these guys cooloing off not necissarily maggs injury.

eurotrash35
06-25-2004, 08:14 PM
pretty soon people are going to start thinking it's not a slump :(:

joeynach
06-25-2004, 08:27 PM
I agree wholehearted.

Daver
06-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Good point, is this a slump, or are both returning to the norm after a good start?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Good point, is this a slump, or are both returning to the norm after a good start?
The A.L. pitchers have figured out how to pitch to them. If they're good hitters, they'll adjust right back. If not, we're in big trouble.

SoxxoS
06-25-2004, 08:45 PM
The A.L. pitchers have figured out how to pitch to them. If they're good hitters, they'll adjust right back. If not, we're in big trouble.
CALLING CARUSO, MIKE.

munchman33
06-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Now would probably be a good time to call Baltimore about Jerry Harriston, Jr.

Dadawg_77
06-25-2004, 09:02 PM
While those two are slumping it isn't the offence that is hurting this team. It is the pitching. Our pitching slump is what is causing us to lose all these games.

WSox8404
06-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Now would probably be a good time to call Baltimore about Jerry Harriston, Jr.
Good point. Baltimore is out of it so why the hell not? What does Baltimore need though? Seems to be pitching. Arnie Munoz anyone?

Kilroy
06-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Figured out Uribe? Hell, all they have to do is throw the ball near him and he swings. He must think he's going to be sent to triple-a if he takes a walk. When he does take a pitch, he usually takes it right down the middle. I think Uribe needs to sit for a couple of days.

duke of dorwood
06-25-2004, 11:29 PM
We are starting to see the team many thought we'd see out of Spring.

WE have 3 catchers, 3 outfielders, catchers & reserve infielders playing OF(which was bound to surface). a SS playing second, a second baseman/leadoff man not playing, a bullpen in disarray.

Ozzie's energy obviously got more out of this team than we thought.

duke of dorwood
06-25-2004, 11:31 PM
The pressure's on and

:KW

Cant handle pressure

Lip Man 1
06-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Duke:

Good point...emotion can only take you so far.

Pale Hose George has the exact comment that Ozzie made at Sox Fest on this. I sent it to him because he might use it on the Sox-O-Gram someday. I'm paraphrasing here but it went like "You can't win the Kentucky Derby if you are running mules. You have to have thoroughbreds."

Perhaps George can drop the exact quote from Ozzie in this thread.

Lip

MRKARNO
06-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Well as far as Harris is concerned, Rowand can replace him temporarily and Rowand hitting well is a lot better than Willie hitting well because Rowand can hit a ton of doubles and a decent amount of homers.

RKMeibalane
06-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Once again we are seeing the effects of JR's penny-pinching. Uribe has had a great season, but now that he is struggling, the Sox are having problems scoring runs. When Thomas, Lee, and Konerko come to the plate, there is usually no one on base. Frank is only one on the team who knows how to take a walk. Uribe took several bad swings yesterday, while letting hittable fastballs go by him.

If the Sox want to win the division, then they need to find an extra bat, preferably someone who can play either second base or center field. I doubt Montreal would be willing to give Jose Vidro, and the Angels probably won't want to give up Erstad, so the Sox need to look for other possibilities.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Duke:

Good point...emotion can only take you so far.

Pale Hose George has the exact comment that Ozzie made at Sox Fest on this. I sent it to him because he might use it on the Sox-O-Gram someday. I'm paraphrasing here but it went like "You can't win the Kentucky Derby if you are running mules. You have to have thoroughbreds."

Perhaps George can drop the exact quote from Ozzie in this thread.

Lip
I don't claim authorship, but the saying goes, "You can't win the race riding horses with short legs."

:bandance:

gosox41
06-26-2004, 11:22 AM
For the whole month now since this guys have been slumping bigtime we have been losing. They were doing so good getting the fire started all the time. Bunts, steals, speed, it was our recipe for success with Thomas, Maggs, Konero, and lee behind them. We used to get off to succh great starts, keeping there pitcher and team off balance. This is really starting to affect us. These guys are key to our success, granted the maggs thing hurts, but i beleive that our slump this month is due to these guys cooloing off not necissarily maggs injury.
Is it that they are cooling off now or that they were just playing over their heads early in the season?

Bob

gosox41
06-26-2004, 11:25 AM
We are starting to see the team many thought we'd see out of Spring.

WE have 3 catchers, 3 outfielders, catchers & reserve infielders playing OF(which was bound to surface). a SS playing second, a second baseman/leadoff man not playing, a bullpen in disarray.

Ozzie's energy obviously got more out of this team than we thought.
Don't get me started on this. Would things have been different yesterday if Borchard/Reed were playing RF in place of Magglio (whhich I suggested when Magglio went down and got reamed out for)? Or how about Timo? Why start Gload in the OF? He hasn't played it particularly well and he's not hitting particularly well.

Bob

gosox41
06-26-2004, 11:28 AM

Daver,

Just two quick questions. What do you think of Gload defensively as an OFer? And how do you think he compares to Borchard, Reed, and Timo Perez?

I'm just trying to figure out why he's even out there to begin with. I'm not impressed by him at all and you've seen Reed and Borchard play more then I have.

Bob

RKMeibalane
06-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Don't get me started on this. Would things have been different yesterday if Borchard/Reed were playing RF in place of Magglio (whhich I suggested when Magglio went down and got reamed out for)? Or how about Timo? Why start Gload in the OF? He hasn't played it particularly well and he's not hitting particularly well.

Bob
I don't think Gload should have played, either, but not becuase he isn't an outfielder. Everyone here knows how important the Sox-Cubs series is. The games are intense, and the players all seem to have an extra bounce in their step. Gload had never played in a Sox-Cubs regular season game before yesterday, and he may have been nervous about it. For that reason, it would have made more sense if Ozzie had started Perez, who has more experience playing in big games.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't know if Uribe and Harris are returning to form now after having played beyond their abilities, or if they are just both beginning to slump. What I do know is that Uribe is not going to be a lifetime .340 hitter, and I know that when the top of the order fails to get on base, there are fewer RBI opportunities for the powerful hitters in the middle of the Sox lineup. That, coupled with the Sox suddenly shaky pitching rotation (Rauch's and Diaz's good performances lately nonwithstanding), does not bode well for this team.

I'd like to see KW make a move to get a real leadoff hitter like Carl Crawford, even though such a deal would be very costly. I think the Sox have enough prospects to get Crawford, especially if there is truth to the rumor that Tampa Bay would be willing to deal Crawford to make room for another leadoff hitter they have in their high minors. While I still have hope for 2004, the future of the Sox offense could be very bright with a deeppink 1-2 punch of Crawford and Jeremy Reed, with Maggs and Frank batting behind them. This also would strengthen the bottom of the lineup with Uribe and Harris.

In short, the Sox need a legitimate young leadoff hitter in addition to pitching help.

jabrch
06-26-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't know if Uribe and Harris are returning to form now after having played beyond their abilities, or if they are just both beginning to slump. What I do know is that Uribe is not going to be a lifetime .340 hitter, and I know that when the top of the order fails to get on base, there are fewer RBI opportunities for the powerful hitters in the middle of the Sox lineup. That, coupled with the Sox suddenly shaky pitching rotation (Rauch's and Diaz's good performances lately nonwithstanding), does not bode well for this team.

I'd like to see KW make a move to get a real leadoff hitter like Carl Crawford, even though such a deal would be very costly. I think the Sox have enough prospects to get Crawford, especially if there is truth to the rumor that Tampa Bay would be willing to deal Crawford to make room for another leadoff hitter they have in their high minors. While I still have hope for 2004, the future of the Sox offense could be very bright with a deeppink 1-2 punch of Crawford and Jeremy Reed, with Maggs and Frank batting behind them. This also would strengthen the bottom of the lineup with Uribe and Harris.

In short, the Sox need a legitimate young leadoff hitter in addition to pitching help.

Frater, there are those who will tell you that Crawford is not a good leadoff hitter since A) He doesn't walk enough, and B) he is not really a .311 hitter like he is now - and he is due to regress to his JR High numbers. Their bible has him predicted at .278/.319/.362 and they say that is what he is due to do. I tell them to stick it in the BP - but that's the stats they tell you. Oh, I don't want to forget this one either - Hey will tell you his VORP last year was a -6.7, so he was bad bad bad just to have in the lineup.

That said, I agree with you. I'd love to see Crawford on this team. I don't think CF/leadoff is as big a need as SP and even a RP, but if we had a chance to get Crawford cheaply, I'd take a shot at him. I would rather focus on SP and another right handed RP.

Daver
06-26-2004, 08:53 PM
Daver,

Just two quick questions. What do you think of Gload defensively as an OFer? And how do you think he compares to Borchard, Reed, and Timo Perez?

I'm just trying to figure out why he's even out there to begin with. I'm not impressed by him at all and you've seen Reed and Borchard play more then I have.

Bob
Gload was signed to a minor league deal, he is primarily a first baseman, but has played outfield. He is not going to impress anyone with his fielding skills at any position, but he can hit.

Why is he out there?

Because Reed is still dealing with an ailing wrist and Borchard is just starting to get his swing back after nagging injuries bothered him all of last year.

I would like to see more of Timo Perez, aside from what little time he has played with the Sox I have never seen him play before, so far he strikes me as a decent fielder that needs to learn a little more discipline at the plate, but does tend to make the most of his limited playing time.

Dadawg_77
06-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Frater, there are those who will tell you that Crawford is not a good leadoff hitter since A) He doesn't walk enough, and B) he is not really a .311 hitter like he is now - and he is due to regress to his JR High numbers. Their bible has him predicted at .278/.319/.362 and they say that is what he is due to do. I tell them to stick it in the BP - but that's the stats they tell you. Oh, I don't want to forget this one either - Hey will tell you his VORP last year was a -6.7, so he was bad bad bad just to have in the lineup.

That said, I agree with you. I'd love to see Crawford on this team. I don't think CF/leadoff is as big a need as SP and even a RP, but if we had a chance to get Crawford cheaply, I'd take a shot at him. I would rather focus on SP and another right handed RP.
Crawford isn't a good leadoff man because he doesn't get on base enough. So far this year, he is at .348 OBP, last year .309. He needs to improve that to become a good leadoff man. Speed doesn't make a leadoff man, getting on base does.