PDA

View Full Version : Non-Chicagoans, Why the Sox??

Hondo
06-25-2004, 09:36 AM
As the excitement builds for this weekend's series I got to thinking (Dangerous I know). There was an earlier thread as to why we became Sox fans. Most of us who are/were from Chicago had the same story with different twists to it.
But what about those of you from out of state or downstate?? Maybe it's my own narrow parochial view but I never saw the White Sox as a national draw.
When I came here I was shocked to see so many people from out of state.
After moving to NE Indiana(Michigan lite) I know how lonely it is to be a Sox fan.

Tell me your story

MODS-I didn't know where to put this so I'm sorry if this should be in the PL.

eurotrash35
06-25-2004, 09:46 AM
All of my extended family is from the Chicago area so I got a few chances to go to Sox games with them growing up.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-25-2004, 10:04 AM
My grandfather spent the first few years of his life in Evanston, before moving to Michigan. His entire family was full of Cubs fans, he quickly realized their mistake and was a die-hard Sox fan. That is the way my family has been raised since.

I am in Chicago for the summer doing an internship, and it is nice to actually be around some other Sox fans. It is rough at school and even here at work where everyone is a ScRubs fan.

Malgar 12
06-25-2004, 10:06 AM
My old man grew up on the West Side of Chicago, so I was brought up in the faith! We've lived in Iowa, Edmonton, Ft. Collins, and Ann Arbor. But we've always been Sox fans.

elrod
06-25-2004, 10:11 AM
I was born in New Jersey and lived there until I was 12 (1986). The first year I followed baseball was 1982 and I was (and still am) a huge Mets fan (the first shortsop I ever rooted for was Ron Gardenhire). I had a book about the history of the Mets and decided that the greatest day in history was October 16, 1969 because Jerry Koosman pitched the Mets over the Orioles in Game Five of the World Series. I had Jerry Koosman's 1982 baseball card and he was on...the White Sox. I immediately chose the White Sox as my favorite American League team. 1983 only sealed the deal. Interestingly the team I hated more than any other was the Cubs because the Mets and Cubs fought it out for second-to-last place and the Cubs won in 1982 and 1983. Then in 1984 they fought it out for first with the Cubs winning again. My hatred of the Cubs has never had anything to do with the White Sox (since moving here the connection has made more sense). I never set foot in the state of Illinois until 1991 and didn't move here until 2000 (lived in northern Virginia after 1986). Remember the great date of October 16, 1969? Well I got married exactly 30 years later, on October 16, 1999.

wilburaga
06-25-2004, 10:12 AM
I grew up in Brooklyn and became a fan at the age of 5 in 1957. My mother was an avid Dodger fan; in fact, the house behind where she grew up belonged to Gil Hodges. My father was an equally avid NY Giant fan. They both passionately despised the Yankees.

So my choices were to alienate one parent by cheering for one of the NL teams, risk being thrown out on the streets by adopting the Yankees, or select a different team on my own. With the wisdom of Solomon, I selected the team that rivalled the hated Yankees, our beloved White Sox. Throw in 1959 and Jacob Nelson Fox and I was hooked for life. I still live in the NYC area, but have never regretted my choice.

W

thepaulbowski
06-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Growing up in the South Bend area and I watched the South Bend White Sox. So henceforth I became a White Sox fan.

Kadafi311
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
I grew up in South Bend, which isn't far from Chicago. My Dad is a lifetime Sox fan. In the 60's and 70's he used to drive up to the games at Comiskey every weekend with his buddies. So naturally, I became a Sox fan.

Oh man does he have some good stories :D:

We all live out in Orange County now, but the tradition continues. I'm spreading the White Sox gospel on the west coast!

Jess1210
06-25-2004, 10:27 AM
My dad grew up in South Holland as a Sox fan, so my brother and I grew up following and cheering for the Sox since he did. I guess my dad just did a good job of passing on the Sox pride!! I can't imagine following any other team.

:bandance:

HomerCoach
06-25-2004, 10:38 AM
White Sox...NO IDEA WHY. Upstate NY, like the rest of the world is obsessed with the Spankees or the Red Sox. I'm different.:neener:

Baby Fisk
06-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Started following the Sox when I was a kid because the Jays did nothing for me, I realized that Carlton Fisk is the Greatest, and I like pain. Kids don't need a lot of logic for these kinds of life choices. :cool: Still waiting to meet another Sox fan in Toronto...

MaggPipes
06-25-2004, 11:19 AM
An older gentleman from my church that used to be a minor league umpire, loves the White Sox. Every year since I was like 7 he has always brought me back stuff from Spring Training, and I have followed the Sox ever since.

bluestar
06-25-2004, 11:21 AM
I grew up in Kentucky surrounded by Reds and Braves fans. I've always been one to shun the "norm." In 1977 I was a senior in high school and had never really adopted a team as my own. I thought the White Sox were kind of cool, so I chose them. I had no idea about Sox history or anything at the time. I had a difficult time following them, other than what was in the daily newspaper, which usually wasn't much. As I got older and more independent, I began going to Chicago and attending games, but that really wasn't until the early '90's. (One of my regrets is never attending a game at Old Comiskey.) Around that same time, I moved to Nashville and the Sox AAA team did, too. I became a Sounds season ticket holder for the few years the Sox were here.

In more recent years, the Internet has provided an avenue for keeping more informed about the Sox. For example, I didn't know until just a few years ago how intense the Sox/Cubs rivalry was.

My office at work (I live in Nashville) has some Sox pictures, and I have some other random things sitting around. I am often asked by fellow employees and vendors why I like the Sox so much.

Paulwny
06-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Mel Allen discussing Nellie Fox during a sox/yankmee game gave me this curse.

I don't know if I should thank him or hate him. :wink:

DC Sox Fan
06-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Like many others, I inherited my love of the Sox, from my dad who grew up on the South Side before migrating to Downer's Grove in HS. My mom's side of the family (Elgin) were Cubs fans, so she started following the Sox to spite her dad.

Going to a game in B-more out here in April, I was surprised and encouraged by the # of Sox fans. I've never thought of us as having much of a national following, either. But I swear, I see more and more of us at Camden Yards every year when the boys come to town...

IowaHawksFan1
06-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Simple really...

My first ever pro ballgame was at Comiskey when they played the Yankees and lost (Frank Thomas hit the Sox's only run in the b7 with a home run). I also went up a few other times in the following years and I started to like the team...never went to Wrigley until the year I graduated from High School really. Also, a couple people in my family are Sox fans.

greenpeach
06-25-2004, 11:48 AM
I grew up a Met fan in New York in the late 60's & early 70's. During my childhood, the Cubs along with the Pirates were the Mets chief rivals. Naturally, I hated everything about the northsiders including their evil little dwarf of a manager, Leo the Lip. My hatred for the Cubs has never subsided over the years. I think the biggest problem I have with them is that everything about this organization appears to be contrived & manufactured for public consumption.

On the other hand, nothing about the White Sox or their fanbase appears to be artificial. As a kid, I loved the blue-collar fanbase, the red pinstriped uniforms, Chuck Tanner, the players (Bill Melton, Dick Allen etc.) & of course venerable Comiskey Park. I quickly adopted the Sox as my favorite American League team & reveled in every victory over the Bronx Bombers. When I moved to Michigan in the late 1970's I continued to follow the Sox & made numerous trips to old Comiskey. Even though I now live in Atlanta, my love for the Sox has never waned.

jm831
06-25-2004, 11:57 AM
I came to be a Sox fan because my Dad and his dad, my Grandfather were both Sox fans. They both were born and lived their entire lives in Danville. Why my Grandfather was a Sox fan (as opposed to Cub or Cardinal fans... which seems to be the only choices downstate) I'll never really know. But I'm sure that my Dad was a Sox fan because he was raised to be a Sox fan, and that's the reason I am to this day. We had cable in Danville in the very early '70s, and that meant that we had WGN-TV during the days when they showed only Cub games. Despite that, we sat around in our garage with my Dad listening to this gigantic transistor radio (the thing must have weighed five pounds, but it was considered "portable") most every summer evening trying to listen to the Sox games on AM radio. God help us if there was any bad weather between Danville and Chicago, because we were going to listen regardless, no matter how much hearing damage all that static was going to create for us. Anyway, not that I would ever be tempted to switch allegiances (even though I now live in California), it is in memory of those days that I still love the Sox.

Sorry... didn't mean to make this so sappy.

1951Campbell
06-25-2004, 12:04 PM
My dad was a North Side Sox fan, and by the time he moved to Milwaukee and I was born, the Sox were on WMAQ, so you could listen to every game.

Niagara
06-25-2004, 12:13 PM
I grew up in Western NY as a Mets fan, and hated the Yankmes.

I was an Indians fan, later, since a guy from my high school played outfield for them, but their continued suckage discouraged me.

Moved to Houston and became a 'stros fan, and first got WGN there on cable.
Didn't like the Cubs much, so I started rooting for the Sox. Plus, since I'm Irish, if I had grown up in Chicago, we probably would have been Sox fans.

Have lived in Kansas for 18 years, and cannot stand the Royals.

Hondo
06-25-2004, 12:36 PM
This is great. It's good to know that Sox Pride can spread from coast to coast!!!

Nick@Nite
06-25-2004, 02:09 PM
1. I grew up in Davenport, IA (b.1965)

2. Hardly ever (practically never) watched the Cubs on WQAD/TV after school during the 70's/early 80's. In fact, I cannot remember sitting through an entire game while listening to Lou Boudreau & Jack Brickhouse, ZZzzzZZZzzzzzzz!

3. Watched the Sox on cable channel 44 in the evenings all the time.

4. The Cubs are lousy.

5. Ralph Garr rules!

Now you know my secrets! :D:

GO SOX!!!
:supernana:

SpringfldFan
06-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I have lived all 36 of my years in central Illinois, and to give the briefest reason of my Sox fandom - Many of my earliest memories are of experiences at Comiskey Park. See, my dad has always been a hardcore Sox fan, even though the most of the family are Cub fans. I have been fortunate to be a Sox fan in a way that Chicago area natives don't get to experience. For me, a Sox game was a real treat because it took a 3 to 4 hour drive to get there. Therefore, I never took seeing the Sox for granted, and since it was a real family bonding time, the whole experience was special. Sometimes at sunrise on Saturday mornings my dad would throw open the door to my bedroom and surprise me be telling me "get ready - we were going to see a Sox game!" It was pure joy to take the road trip, see the "big city", see the game, run around the park exploring, getting free bats (bat day), jerseys (t-shirst painted with red pinstripes and Richie Allen's number), and everything else. Of course we had White Castles on the way home (there are no White Castles in Bloomington or Springfield so even that was special).

As I grew older and became even more serious about baseball, I even got into following the Cubs as my "2nd team" when they had Kingman, JeJesus, and Trillo. Those days they were awful and I honestly thought everyone felt it was uncool to admit to being a Cub fan and so I saw them as no threat. However, my rich history of being a Sox fan and the growing indignation I felt at realizing the Cubs were "America's team" started gnawing in me and my brief Cub following quickly passed.

Nowdays, my very busy dad goes with my wife, my 2 year old daughter, and me to a special game each year. My 2 year old has Sox attire, a Sox hat, Sox backpack, and can even say "white sox" when she sees the logo. And so the tradition is passed down...

my5thbench
06-25-2004, 02:52 PM
my dad grew up a Sox fan in South Bend along with his

love for the Irish....Spring 1959 my 1st year of little league
we went to the local theatre for a newsreel of the '58 world
series...I came home wowed by Micky & the Yanks...dad
wasn't impressed & sat my butt down & explained to me
in no uncertain terms why the Yanks were to be hated, the
Sox were our team period, I still thank my dear departed
ol' man for the love he taught me over the next few years

go go SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

StepsInSC
06-25-2004, 03:15 PM
:hurt

All thanks to him. I became a fan of his while he was at Auburn and it just carried over to the Sox!

RKMeibalane
06-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Why the Sox?

Because of this man --------------------------> :hurt

DuckSnort
06-25-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm from Kenosha WI (not too far from Chicago) so growing up I saw a lot of the sox and I was always a fan of the Big Hurt and the Sox! It's just to bad that now'a days there's more cub-fluff in the local paper than even the Brewers, and it's the same in the stores. I jumped for joy recently when I found sox jerseys at the local mall (on clearance.. go figuere.) but that's my story :)

WLL1855
06-26-2004, 01:08 AM
My story.

I grew up just outside Odell, IL on my parents farm, which is just about as far south as you can go and claim a connection to the greater Chicagoland area.

(Minor sidebar: Odell's zip code is 60460, meaning we have the same regional post office as the Loop. Also, we get the city version of the Chicago papers. Go any further south and you get the national editions.)

Despite being from what many people consider "downstate" (Hey, I can get from Odell to the Cell in an hour and a half, sometimes less. How many people from the outer suburbs can't beat that?), I was taught by my grandfather and three uncles to revere the Sox despite having a Yankee fan for a father. Even though I didn't get to actually attend a Sox game until I was out of high school, I have many fond memories of sitting on my grandfather's front porch watching the Sox on channel 44 or listening to them on his old RCA radio. I've loved the team as long as I can remember.

hsnterprize
06-26-2004, 11:19 AM
I have lived all 36 of my years in central Illinois, and to give the briefest reason of my Sox fandom - Many of my earliest memories are of experiences at Comiskey Park. See, my dad has always been a hardcore Sox fan, even though the most of the family are Cub fans. I have been fortunate to be a Sox fan in a way that Chicago area natives don't get to experience. For me, a Sox game was a real treat because it took a 3 to 4 hour drive to get there. Therefore, I never took seeing the Sox for granted, and since it was a real family bonding time, the whole experience was special. Sometimes at sunrise on Saturday mornings my dad would throw open the door to my bedroom and surprise me be telling me "get ready - we were going to see a Sox game!" It was pure joy to take the road trip, see the "big city", see the game, run around the park exploring, getting free bats (bat day), jerseys (t-shirst painted with red pinstripes and Richie Allen's number), and everything else. Of course we had White Castles on the way home (there are no White Castles in Bloomington or Springfield so even that was special).

As I grew older and became even more serious about baseball, I even got into following the Cubs as my "2nd team" when they had Kingman, JeJesus, and Trillo. Those days they were awful and I honestly thought everyone felt it was uncool to admit to being a Cub fan and so I saw them as no threat. However, my rich history of being a Sox fan and the growing indignation I felt at realizing the Cubs were "America's team" started gnawing in me and my brief Cub following quickly passed.

Nowdays, my very busy dad goes with my wife, my 2 year old daughter, and me to a special game each year. My 2 year old has Sox attire, a Sox hat, Sox backpack, and can even say "white sox" when she sees the logo. And so the tradition is passed down...Reading this story was very touching...thanks for sharing it with us.

The thing that got to me the most was when your father "suprised" you to take you to a game. Truthfully, I wish my dad did the same for me. I don't hold it against him anymore...actually I'm waiting for the day I can take HIM to a game, and sit in the press box with me.

However, something else caught my attention. Your 2-year-old daughter is a Sox fan, and that's great. My 2-year-old son is growing up to be a Sox fan, too. He has Sox attire, a modern Sox cap, and a 70's red batting helmet replica my Cubbie-loving father-in-law got for him. Hey...at least pop-in-law's a good sport. He knows how to say, "Go White Sox", and "Cubs...BOO!!!!!!!" when prompted. He even said that to my father-in-law when he went to his house one day. Makes dad (me) feel proud.

It makes me feel even more anxious to take him, and the rest of my family, to a White Sox game.

SpringfldFan
06-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Reading this story was very touching...thanks for sharing it with us.

The thing that got to me the most was when your father "suprised" you to take you to a game. Truthfully, I wish my dad did the same for me. I don't hold it against him anymore...actually I'm waiting for the day I can take HIM to a game, and sit in the press box with me.

However, something else caught my attention. Your 2-year-old daughter is a Sox fan, and that's great. My 2-year-old son is growing up to be a Sox fan, too. He has Sox attire, a modern Sox cap, and a 70's red batting helmet replica my Cubbie-loving father-in-law got for him. Hey...at least pop-in-law's a good sport. He knows how to say, "Go White Sox", and "Cubs...BOO!!!!!!!" when prompted. He even said that to my father-in-law when he went to his house one day. Makes dad (me) feel proud.

It makes me feel even more anxious to take him, and the rest of my family, to a White Sox game.
Lol, talk about coincidence. My wife (who started following baseball and the Sox after marrying me) now tries to get my daughter to say "Sox Yay Cubs Boo!" so she will be able to good-naturedly tease my stepfather and that side of the family, who are hardcore Cub fans. I gotta chuckle about the idea but worry that it may not be worth the family conflict that might result!

kraut83
06-29-2004, 01:34 PM
my dad grew up a Sox fan in South Bend along with his
love for the Irish....
Man this sounds exactly like my house was! My dad kept me on the right path growing up in the cubbie love capital that is south bend. He took me to my first game in 1984 & I loved the Sox ever since. Can't say the same for ND though. Heh, I also remember my dad sending me down the street to the 7-11 on sunday mornings to get a Chicago Paper. He always said "Don't come back with a tribune, it's a cub paper!"

soxruleEP
06-29-2004, 06:42 PM
White Sox...NO IDEA WHY. Upstate NY, like the rest of the world is obsessed with the Spankees or the Red Sox. I'm different.:neener:
I, like HomerCoach, grew up in upstate NY. Everyone was a Yankees fan so I became a Dodger fan just to be disputatious.

I went to college in Indiana, met and married a woman from Joliet, and moved to Chicago. That was in 1977. She was a White Sox fan and I became one as well.

Now our daughter is a Sox fan as well.

It builds character.

soxruleEP
06-29-2004, 06:46 PM
He knows how to say, "Go White Sox", and "Cubs...BOO!!!!!!!" when prompted. He even said that to my father-in-law when he went to his house one day. Makes dad (me) feel proud.

When my daughter (now 23) was a toddler, we would ask her:

"Who do we cheer for?"

"The White Sox!" she'd scream.

"And who do we hate?"

"The stinkin' Cubs."

We taught her well and early to stay away from the dark side of evil.

johnny_mostil
06-29-2004, 07:22 PM
I was raised in a jerkwater town in north central Indiana surrounded by Cub and Reds fans and we, for some mysterious reason, had WSNS-44 on the CATV system. I was a kid, and loved some of the old sitcoms like Get Smart that 44 ran, so I would tune in and watch at 10pm or so. Frequently the White Sox games (1977 Hit Men) would run over and I just got hooked. I was shopping for a new team to follow anyway after my then-beloved Reds dumped my then-beloved favorite player Tony Perez and replaced him with a stiff after winning two straight Series.

The only other two fans I knew in town were my best friend and the band director.

bahn1225
06-29-2004, 09:41 PM
It was FREE!

Back in the early 70's my uncle pitched for the White Sox.
It was the closest team he ever played for so we'd all pile into the car (VW Bug) and go to Chicago.
It was only for three years but it was a lot of fun for a kid from Iowa.:supernana:

:sockem:

ode to veeck
06-29-2004, 09:46 PM
On the other hand, nothing about the White Sox or their fanbase appears to be artificial.Ribbie and Rhubarb notwithstanding ... don't miss the buffoons one bit

As for me, my grandfather and father were longstanding SE siders and lifelong Sox fans, and though I spent my 1st 6 years of life in Milwaukee, moving to Chicago in '62, its been the Sox ever since ... amazing to see it today, as in the mid 60s the Flubs fans were few and far between ...

MiamiSpartan
06-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Grew up in Wheaton. In my younger, dumber days, I was a cub fan until I realized that the Sox were getting the shaft in town, and that all cub fans were idiots. This was in the mid-70's, and I've been a Sox fan ever since.

NC_sox_fan
06-29-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm a season ticket holder here in Winston-Salem. We've had White Sox teams since 1997. Some of the players who've come through here include Carlos Lee, Joe Crede, Jon Garland, Aaron Rowand, Jon Rauch, Josh Stewart, Josh Paul, Josh Fogg (a LOT of Joshs!), Kip Wells, Chad Bradford, Joe Borchard, Jeremy Reed, and......well...you get the picture.

With Kannapolis only an hour away and Charlotte an hour and a half, I have seen most of the Sox minor league players for quite a few years. How could I not be a Sox fan????

I sure do wish Kenny would stop trading them all away though. Trading the future for the moment....not a good philosophy!

rockfordsox
06-29-2004, 11:03 PM
My grandma lives by the ball park. when I was a kid back in the 70's i would spend about 2 weeks in the summer down there. i lived in rockford and i still do.

MikeW
06-29-2004, 11:28 PM
I grew up in New Jersey and became a fan when I was 5 years old in 1961. I have no idea why I'm a Sox fan. The Yankees were in their heyday then as now and every kid loved the Yanks. My Dad was a Pirates fan, but I can't account for my allegiance to the White Sox. Maybe it was because they had a lot of small players on their team, Fox, Aparicio, Rivera and Esposito. They were exciting to me because they stole bases and played great defense. Maybe it was the exploding scoreboard or the uniforms. My first game was in 1962 vs the Yankees. And, yes I always get 'Why the White Sox'? Are you from Chicago or something?

Tragg
06-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Well I was born at U of Chicago Hospital and lived in Chicago for 6 months until my dad moved back to Louisiana. He went to Sox games and took me to one when I was 5 months old. No team in La so they're all I had.

Plus, for some reason, the Sox were broadcast for a couple of years in Lafayette Louisiana when I was around 10, complements of Friendly Bob Adams- that helped solidify the relationship. Plus my first year listening was the great penant race of 1967. Hooked forever.

silhouette
07-01-2004, 07:13 PM
I've been a White Sox fan since birth, basically becuase I was born and raise in those "wonderful" housing projects in South-Side Chicago. Heck, I probably lived right next to the Evan's family in Good Times. My parents were Sox fans, so me, my brother and my sister grew up as Sox fans.

Back in the 60's and early 70's my father used to take us to the Sox games when they played during the day. His favorite player was Minnie Monoso and Dick Allen, I've only seen Minnie played once in my life (that game in 1976), but I was a big fan of Dick Allen. My father wouldn't even think of taking me to a Sox game during the night. I had to wait until I turn 20 to even go to a Sox game at night, I was at the same time that Bill Vreeck bought the team again.

The Vreeck era was the best years to be a Sox fan, IMHO. Even though the team only had one winning season during that era, it was mostly fun coming to the ballpark and watching the game. There was always a crazy promotion such as Italian Night (my favorite, I picked up a few Italian girls), Harry Carey's ramblings (that traitor), and of course the Disco Demolition, I'll never forget that night... (By the way, I HATE DISCO). Unlike the Cubs promos, the Sox promotions weren't CUTE. There's nothing wrong with promotions if it's done right, it helps build the experience of being at the ballpark, and it's EXPERIENCE that make people go to the park to watch the game instead of watching it on T.V.

I still attened the games even after the Disco Demolition, then Vreeck sold the team to Reinsdork. When I heard him trying to make this organization a "First Class Organization", I laughed and knew that this was going to be the beginning of a downward-spiral, and it sure was. Going to a Sox wasn't the same anymore. Even in 1983, I couldn't watch the games, they were too boring (Winning Ugly does not make a good reason to watch a ball game - see 1967) and besides I was getting more into Basketball and Football.

Pretty much throughout the 80's, I wasn't following baseball. Then in 1990, I saw the series between the White Sox and the A's. I was impress with what I saw: Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell, Bobby Thigpen, Ozzie Guillen, and Robin Ventura. It was exiciting to see them play. I was hooked on them until the 1994 strike and seeing Reinsdork was behind all of this.

I watched a few Sox game now and them, but for the most part I really didn't follow the Sox for almost a decade, even after I moved to D.C. Then I ended up to this site. It was this site (and Ozzie Guillen putting some excitement back in the Sox) that made me became a Sox fan.

LASOXFAN
07-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Born in Texas and went to grade school in Joliet before moving away for good in 8th grade...just long enough to witness the southside hitmen and disco demolition.

BKozi
07-01-2004, 07:38 PM
I was born and raised in Nebraska and we don't have any professional teams in any sport (unless arena football is considered a sport?). My brothers groomed me to be a big all-around fan of sports. As we didn't have any professional teams, we all just basically picked a team at random and that became our team. Honestly, I don't know how I ended up with the Sox. I think it might have been because I had a favorite baseball card or something (and it's depressing to me that kids these days don't even know what these are). I do remember having cards of Billy Almon and Tony Bernezard when they were with the Sox which may have been it. The 1983 AL West title sealed the deal. I've been suffering with you guys since.

brewcrew/chisox
07-01-2004, 08:38 PM
I grew up in Milwaukee. My father was a policeman and during those days the Mil police used to security games. He used to come home from Brewer/Chisox games reeking of beer (from wearing it, not drinking :smile: ), and stories of how crazy it was.

I guess I always loved the rivalry.

Then, when I moved to Chicago, the Brewers moved to the National League.

So I embraced the Sox as my Chicago team.

Wise choice don't you think?

I'm still a Brewer fan too though, and get to see a few games every year.

ondafarm
07-01-2004, 09:36 PM
When my parents married, they agreed that their family would be unified on the three things which can cause division among families in Chicago: religion, politics and baseball.

My mom picked first and picked the White Sox (as founder of the Nellie Fox fan club that wasn't a hard call for her.) My dad picked the GOP and then my mom picked Catholic.

On the day I was born (four some years later) Nellie Fox had been traded to the Colt .45s (nowdays the Astros) but happened to be in Chicago on a transit thru town. My dad snapped a photo of Nellie holding me in the hospital with my mom looking on. I am smiling and looking up.

Hence, no matter where I have gone in the world, I have been a White Sox fan since day 1.

bigfoot
07-02-2004, 02:03 AM
I would like to say that it was divine intervention or something magical that led me to a life of Sox. But I think it was mere timing and the location of Comiskey Park to the tiny town in which I was playing Little League baseball. The prize at the end of the season was for the entire league to pile into a few large yellow school buses and venture into the Great Unknown, Chicago for an annual Major League ballgame. Of course, at that time, there was no Dan Ryan or interstate road system so the closest and quickest was Comiskey. That extra 8 miles of surface streets must have scared the driver to death. Not that the Sunday PM trip down Wentworth didn't have its share of adventures over the years.
~But I was hooked. I could have had a brief infatuation with that other side of town, but once I found out that they weren't related to the Hamm's bear, that bubble burst. Hey, I WAS 7 years old at the time.
~It's a terrible addiction, causing me to get a 'fix' in the strangest places. When living in Albq, NM, I had to, on occasion, drive to the east side of the mountains drive to the summit and sit in my car for hours listening to the game on WMAQ. My wife thought I was daft. The lawyer thought it was 'grounds'. What could he know? Yankee fan, yech!

eshunn2001
07-02-2004, 11:48 AM
I grew up in South Bend, which isn't far from Chicago. My Dad is a lifetime Sox fan. In the 60's and 70's he used to drive up to the games at Comiskey every weekend with his buddies. So naturally, I became a Sox fan.

Oh man does he have some good stories :D:

We all live out in Orange County now, but the tradition continues. I'm spreading the White Sox gospel on the west coast!
Nice a west Coast Sox fan, I grew up a cubs fan til I was about 7 Years old, My father is a die hard Flubs fan ( we all have our flaws). But any ways our Nieghbors were Die hard Whitesox fans, with season tickets, And every sunday home game the Grandmother could not go because she had church, So... they would take me.:D: I began to love the atmosphere and really like the people at the stadium, It was a lot more fun than Wrigley, With the Nah nah nah's and Exploding scoreboards, it was just a blast, Soon i was loving all the players Fisk, Guillen, Baines, Even Darryl Boston. Sine then there has been no turning back..
Now I live in Anaheim and go to every Sox game at Angel Stadium, and was at the Cell for the Cubs Series, Screaming "Prior Sucks Wood" Cub fans did not like that one all that much

longshot7
07-02-2004, 01:32 PM
wow, these are all great stories...

I still consider myself a Chicagoan - born, raised, lived there for the first 22 years of my life. I only moved out here for college and career - I know someday I'll be back on the South Side.

I loved the stories about the people who only got to go to a few games a year and that feeling driving into town. Maybe 3 times in the five years I've been here I've been home to visit my folks during the summer and gotten to visit Comiskey (it will always be Comiskey or Sox Park to me.) Those games are so awesome - I love the stadium and being there, even for only 1 game means a lot.

Mark
07-02-2004, 04:17 PM
I've lived within 20 miles of Yankee Stadium all my life but have been a loyal Sox fan since 1973. My cousin was a fan back then, and, since I didn't want to follow my friends/family in rooting for the Yankees or Mets, I looked West. In the late summer of 1972, with Tanner's Boys giving chase to the A's, behind the fabulous play of Dick Allen (along with Carlos May, Pat Kelly and Mike Andrews) I became hooked on this up-and-coming team. Plus the fact that I absolutely LOVED the red uniforms.

I saw the Sox play at Yankee Stadium for the first time in 1973 (May poked one out to win the game if my fading memory is accurate), and I also saw them play at Shea Stadium while The House That Ruth Built was being renovated -- probably for a forgettable start by Skip Pitlock). One late 1970s game I remember attending at Yankee Stadium featured a Sox rally with the bases loaded being snuffed out when Kevin Bell was picked off third base. :o: The Sox were lucky to win one or two games against the Yanks in those days (when Scarberry wasn't giving up late-inning dingers to blow leads).

As a further serious sign of my addiction, I replayed the entire 1975 season (162 games plus playoffs...go Bee Bee Richard!) with Strat-O-Matic, and I led those Sox to the World Series, where they lost to the Dodgers in 6 games (just like '59).

Of course, my all-time favorite Sox Summer was 1977 -- Natch. Oscar, Lamar, Chester, Soderholm, "Pitch at Risk to Rich Zisk", Francisco and Stone. Gosh I loved that team.

I am the proud owner of two replies (by letter) from Bill Veeck, once when I wrote him lamenting the trade of one of my favorites, Brian Downing, and the other expressing my dislike for the new "old-time" unis that replaced my all-time favorite "Reds". He was respectful and classy in both, and appreciated the fact that the Sox had a fan living outside NYC. Too bad we can't transfer Bill's brain and heart into Reisdorf's body.

I later attended college in Boston and was lucky enough to see Fisk's first game in a Chicago uniform at Fenway, when he hit a memorable home run, much to the disgust of the BoSawx fans in attendance.

It's been quite an up-and-down ride all these years (I still ache thinking about Britt Burns shutting out the future World Champions in '83 for nine innings and the Sox failing to take advantage of the opportunity), but I'm still sticking by the Sox. Sure would be nice to see a World Series appearance in my lifetime.

After a putrid stretch of performances against Baltimore and Cleveland a few weeks ago, when I really thought third place was just a few days away, I've been encouraged by the team's revival in the last two series against the Cubs and Twins. Let's hope they can keep it up this weekend on the North Side. I'm also looking forward to the return of Mags.

Sorry for rambling on.....and Go Sox!

Bisco Stu
07-03-2004, 02:51 AM
I grew up on the Nort side in the 70's, so naturally I became a diehard Sox and Mets fans, the Cubs' two main foes. Mostly went to Wrigley as a kid cause it was obviously easier to get to on bus. You know back before all the yups started appreaciating the "glory" of Wrigley Field in 84 and it was rightly regarded as a urinal. Before '84, empty seats were commonplace @ Wrigley.

Realist
07-03-2004, 01:11 PM
I saw the Sox play at Yankee Stadium for the first time in 1973 (May poked one out to win the game if my fading memory is accurate), and I also saw them play at Shea Stadium while The House That Ruth Built was being renovated -- probably for a forgettable start by Skip Pitlock).

Skip Pitlock! I was born and raised in Chicago so I wasn't planning on posting on this thread, just enjoying the great stories. Then you have to go and mention Skip Pitlock and I have to chime in.

Skip Pitlock probably had a big impact on why I'm a Sox fan today. In the 70's my mom worked for a small realty company in the south suburbs. Skip Pitlock worked there too and the company had season tickets to the White Sox games right behind the visitors dug out. The year was 1977 and my mom, dad, brother and I went to a ton of games. The hook was sunk.

Skip pitlock was even over at our house for a couple of our huge 4th of July parties. He TRIED to teach me how to throw a curve ball on the sidewalk in front of the house, but it just wouldn't take. I remember him being a very nice man. Good times!

Go Sox!! :drunken:

bmac5001
07-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Obviously the area i'm in played some part in me becoming a Sox fan. I'm approximately two hours south of chicago. But it was one of my older brother's actually, i simply followed his footsteps and became both a White Sox and a Bears fan. my other two brothers (and father) are Cardinals fans. Now, why my older brother became a Sox fan, that's a good question. I might have to ask him sometime...