PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland View of Game/Series

soxtalker
06-25-2004, 08:04 AM
A few interesting tidbits in here. Nothing inflamatory, but there are a few statements from Cleveland players that I didn't see in the Chicago media. The comment about not being able to see the ball coming out of Rauch's hand when he released it seemed particularly interesting, though I don't understand why.

Cleveland Plain Dealer article (http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1088156129139501.xml)

elrod
06-25-2004, 09:21 AM
The best thing to read is that Rauch was going right at them and not nibbling. Hawk has mentioned time and again the problem with very young pitchers is they think they have to perfect and they nibble at the corners. With nerves they end up missing and getting crushed. The proper approach is to go right at the hitters - especially inside.

chisoxjk
06-25-2004, 10:39 AM
The best thing to read is that Rauch was going right at them and not nibbling. Hawk has mentioned time and again the problem with very young pitchers is they think they have to perfect and they nibble at the corners. With nerves they end up missing and getting crushed. The proper approach is to go right at the hitters - especially inside.
Agreed 100%. For the longest time, that was Garland's problem. He would get hitters down 0-2, 1-2 and then nibble at the corners trying to make the perfect pitch.

He still falls into this habit occasionally and gets burned, like the other day when he walks the bases loaded.

pudge
06-25-2004, 11:14 AM
A few interesting tidbits in here. Nothing inflamatory, but there are a few statements from Cleveland players that I didn't see in the Chicago media. The comment about not being able to see the ball coming out of Rauch's hand when he released it seemed particularly interesting, though I don't understand why.

Cleveland Plain Dealer article (http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1088156129139501.xml)
I was having a hard time seeing the ball come out of his hand on TV, his release looked very deceptive... He was horribly wild in that game, I was figuring they must have had a hard time picking up the ball, otherwise they would have drawn a ton of walks, and frankly would have pounded him.