PDA

View Full Version : City Series Facts & a Fun Trash Talk between Sox & Cub Fan.

Grobber33
06-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Just thought everyone would get a kick on the little preview on the Home Page of www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)

StillMissOzzie
06-25-2004, 12:34 AM
Just thought everyone would get a kick on the little preview on the Home Page of www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)
That's a very entertaining Sox Fan / Cubs Fan exchange you have there, Les, but like all Scrub fans, you fall back on the attendance issue when you run out of intelligent things to say.

SMO
:gulp:

TommyJohn
06-25-2004, 12:35 AM
:moron

Oh, pooh, pooh, pooh, Grobber. Sophisticated, objective journalists such as
my brilliant self don't care a whim about such trivial bosh. Such little things
are for the unwashed masses of mediocrities that fill Chicago, especially the
Sox fans, whose inferiority complex is such that a superior, objective man
like myself can do naught but laugh at them.

And really, I honestly do not care one whit who wins...

SO LONG AS IT ISN'T the @*&$%#& SCUM SOX!!!!!!!!!

vegyrex
06-25-2004, 01:39 AM
That's a very entertaining Sox Fan / Cubs Fan exchange you have there, Les, but like all Scrub fans, you fall back on the attendance issue when you run out of intelligent things to say.

SMO
:gulp: Les, like all flub fans, have short memories. Do flub fans take credit for attendance during the early 90's when the Sox were drawing over 2 million four years in row? Was it flub fans who filled old Comiskey back in 1983 and '84 to help the Sox not only reach 2 million first but do it back to back first as well?

I seem to remember a WHOLE lot of empty seats at Wrigley in the 1970's.
When Ernie hit his 500th at Wrigley, WAAAAAY less than 39,000 dopes, er, I mean cub fans were there to see it.
When I went to my first flub game at Wrigley in '79 I clearly remember LOTS of empty seats. Hell the upper deck was closed!!

Anyway, GO SOX!!
Take 4 out of 6 from those dopes, er, I mean cubs. :smile:

California Sox
06-25-2004, 03:35 AM
After investing in a life and a clue, Grobber seriously needs to pick up spell check. Man, it was like reading Chaucer. Learn to spell!

Grobber33
06-25-2004, 10:44 AM
After investing in a life and a clue, Grobber seriously needs to pick up spell check. Man, it was like reading Chaucer. Learn to spell!Somebody from the land of Nuts & Flakes is telling me how to spell?? Hah!!
Nice Governor you've got out there!!

Some folks dont know how to have fun,which is all that 'exchange' is designed for. LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE!!!

harwar
06-25-2004, 10:54 AM
I feel different than years past.This time i say,just win the series.I'm not nearly into all the White Sox-cubs stuff like i used to be.Its just another tough team we have to get through to win the division.

fledgedrallycap
06-25-2004, 10:57 AM
I feel different than years past.This time i say,just win the series.I'm not nearly into all the White Sox-cubs stuff like i used to be.Its just another tough team we have to get through to win the division.
I was discussing this the other day, there are just bigger fishes to fry this year!

Grobber33
06-25-2004, 11:00 AM
I was discussing this the other day, there are just bigger fishes to fry this year!
You certainly have your priorities in the correct order. Winning a Division is more important than anything. Now if one's team can win the Division AND the City Series as well, that's gravy!!

Hondo
06-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Somebody from the land of Nuts & Flakes is telling me how to spell?? Hah!!
Nice Governor you've got out there!!

Some folks dont know how to have fun,which is all that 'exchange' is designed for. LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE!!!
Les,
How long have you been around White Sox fans and at this site???
When do you ever see us 'lighten up'?!??!
We're whiny, narcastic, self absorbed complainers!!!!
Don't you read the newspapers??

Grobber33
06-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Les,
How long have you been around White Sox fans and at this site???
When do you ever see us 'lighten up'?!??!
We're whiny, narcastic, self absorbed complainers!!!!
Don't you read the newspapers??
Point well taken,,,but I can still try!

CubKilla
06-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Now if one's team can win the Division AND the City Series as well, that's gravy!!
Too bad the Cubs couldn't do it in '03.

Grobber33
06-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Too bad the Cubs couldn't do it in '03.
Neither team has done it yet. In 1998,the Cubs made the Playoffs and swept the Sox,but the DID NOT win their Division. In 2000,the Sox had the best record in the entire AL, but split their 6 with the Cubs who had one of the worst teams in Baseball that year. Last year the Cubs won their Division,but the Sox took 4 of 6. That's why this Series is so crazy(among other reasons of course!).

my5thbench
06-25-2004, 11:58 AM
it's fun Grobber....Sox wins do help though

1951Campbell
06-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Grobber,

I've checked my copy of the rule book. A lack of empty seats does not result in any extra runs or wins for a team.

Just a head's up.

Viva Magglio
06-25-2004, 12:16 PM
When interleague play first started, I was excited about series like these. I used to buy tickets to all the games on both sides of town. However, I am not going to any of the games this season. That is by my own choice. I certainly could have gotten tickets for the USCF games if I wanted to, but it wasn't worth it to me.

Now, I dread these series for several reasons. First of all, a Cubs victory over the White Sox in any way is the ultimate civic shame. I am not diminishing the importance of Minnesota and Cleveland because I fully realize those are the teams to beat to win the AL Central. Winning the AL Central is the most important business goal for us, beating the Cubs is the most improtant social goal for us.

With apologies to Les, who is a good Cubs fan, it is my belief that the Cubs fandom is the least deserving fandom in all of sports of any success of any kind. The attitude that the Chicago National League Ballclub institution and many of their fans (but not all of them) have is "Our s*** don't stink." This is played out in the media in the coverage of us and them, something I do not need to reiterate here except to say that their fandom is portrayed as lovable when I think they are really deplorable.

Cub fans often complain that they are owed royally by the baseball gods because they believe the baseball gods have been bad to them. Wrong. Sure, the baseball gods have not provided on field success. However, the baseball gods have managed to provide them with a ballpark that by all accounts has become a tourist trap. The baseball gods have provided the Cubs a huge fan base partially because of that tourist trap ballpark and a national outreach via WGN on cable. And the baseball gods allow their right fielder to reveive superstar status in baseball and be considerd a hero when he is really a vile human being not deserving of praise of any kind.

If there is anyone to whom the baseball gods owe a huge debt, it us!!! Need I explain why?

hsnterprize
06-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Neither team has done it yet. In 1998,the Cubs made the Playoffs and swept the Sox,but the DID NOT win their Division. In 2000,the Sox had the best record in the entire AL, but split their 6 with the Cubs who had one of the worst teams in Baseball that year. Last year the Cubs won their Division,but the Sox took 4 of 6. That's why this Series is so crazy(among other reasons of course!). Grobber...

Congrats on your team's win today. Prior wasn't the greatest, but he did get the job done when he had to. The "comedy of errors" really hurt us, along with Grudzielanek's 3-run dinger. Add on that the news that Schoeneweiss is hurt and Diaz is throwing tomorrow (Saturday), and that leaves a lot of Sox fans feeling uneasy.

Still...I have to give the devils their due. Here's a tip of the cap to your team, and hopes of an easy 100-3 Sox in tomorrow. BTW...if you're in the press box tomorrow afternoon, I'll see you there.