PDA

View Full Version : Boston Herald ranks all 30 parks

Fenway
06-24-2004, 10:25 PM
I am posting this just to show how things look outside of Chicagoland

1). WRIGLEY FIELD, Chicago (50 points): For years, the primary reason to head to Wrigley was to party. And what a party it's always been. After decades of mediocrity, however, the Cubs are now among the game's best teams and frustrated fans are dreaming of a World Series showdown with the Red Sox. Accessible by subway and bus, and surrounded by lively bars in one of the best neighborhoods in arguably the nation's best city, it's tough to beat Wrigley.

2). FENWAY PARK, Boston (48): Wrigley is revered but Fenway Park is nothing less than a baseball shrine and it remains the most unique stadium in the game, nearly a century after it opened. Kenmore Square is fun but it doesn't match Wrigleyville. Many of the seats are painfully uncomfortable and parking is so limited that unmasked bandits have been known to charge up to $60 per car. Nevertheless, visiting Fenway is always worth the hassles.

26). U.S. CELLULAR FIELD, Chicago (19): What a joke. This place is like the old Expressway in Boston because it was outdated almost as soon as it opened. It replaced a crumbling old stadium but the subsequent opening of Camden Yards showed Chicago fans exactly what they could have had if Jerry Reinsdorf had any vision. For safety's sake, don't wander far from this stadium because you're not in Wrigleyville anymore!

for entire article

http://redsoxnation.net/index.php?showtopic=5813

MRKARNO
06-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks Fenway!

HomeFish
06-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Is the Boston Herald owned by the Tribune Company, by any chance?

FarWestChicago
06-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Does the Cubune own the Boston Herald, or did they get that ignorant on their own? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Palehose13
06-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Sorry, fenway...but what a bunch of crap.

Shoeless Joe
06-24-2004, 10:36 PM
:roflmao::rolling: Good one fenway, I needed a good laugh today!

thepaulbowski
06-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah, you have to be real careful outside of Comiskey because somebody got shot there after a game not too long ago.....wait no that wasn't Comiskey, where was that again?

Fenway
06-24-2004, 10:44 PM
No the Herald is not owned by the Tribune, it is owned by Patrick Purcell and the morgage is held by Rupert Murdoch ( NY Post )

However the writer does hit on the biggest problem of W 35th St, outside of the ballpark, there is nothing there. Even the old Comiskey had the 2 bars across the street......

Railsplitter
06-24-2004, 10:56 PM
What a crock.

Palehose13
06-24-2004, 10:57 PM
However the writer does hit on the biggest problem of W 35th St, outside of the ballpark, there is nothing there. Even the old Comiskey had the 2 bars across the street......

Funny...I'm usually more concerned about what happens inside the park (where there is a pretty cool bar) which I think was overlooked when the writer gave
a 2 for "stadium appeal" (also forgetting the fan deck, unobstructed seats, and picnic areas) and a 1 for "uniqueness" (cause exploding scoreboards aren't unique...).

hsnterprize
06-24-2004, 11:01 PM
No the Herald is not owned by the Tribune, it is owned by Patrick Purcell and the morgage is held by Rupert Murdoch ( NY Post )

However the writer does hit on the biggest problem of W 35th St, outside of the ballpark, there is nothing there. Even the old Comiskey had the 2 bars across the street......One problem Fenway...

When the Old Comiskey Park had bars across the street, the bars weren't the reason why people went there. Now, with everyone wanting to socialize when they go to a baseball game, too many members of the media are either too ignorant, or too lazy to explore the neighborhoods near the Cell to get their pre/post-game entertainment and/or drinking.

Whoever this mope is, he needs to get a clue. He's fortunate...beloved Fenway Park was pretty close to being a park/museum with a newer, modern version of Fenway a short distance away. But of course, it's too much to ask people if they want comfortable seating, well-lit and spacious concourses, and other rmodern amenities...isn't it?

It's a shame that people have made part of the criteria in making a baseball stadium a "good place to watch a game" included "outside the stadium" agendas in the mix. As if Bridgeport and Bronzeville don't count.

1951Campbell
06-24-2004, 11:11 PM
As if you can into the Cask and Flagon or Boston Beer Works on a game day...or as if I'd even want to go to Atlas or Jake Ivory's (shudder).

Fenway
06-24-2004, 11:12 PM
Just to set the record straight

I fell in love with the old Comiskey the first time I went there, I knew I was with BASEBALL fans.............

I never felt that way about Wrigley, but would concede it was a better ballpark than Fenway

However I have to be honest.....Wrigley is Yankee Stadium, and "The Cell" is Shea Stadium.

TommyJohn
06-24-2004, 11:18 PM

1). WRIGLEY FIELD, Chicago (50 points): For years, the primary reason to head to Wrigley was to party. And what a party it's always been. After decades of mediocrity, however, the Cubs are now among the game's best teams and frustrated fans are dreaming of a World Series showdown with the Red Sox. Accessible by subway and bus, and surrounded by lively bars in one of the best neighborhoods in arguably the nation's best city, it's tough to beat Wrigley.

2). FENWAY PARK, Boston (48): Wrigley is revered but Fenway Park is nothing less than a baseball shrine and it remains the most unique stadium in the game, nearly a century after it opened. Kenmore Square is fun but it doesn't match Wrigleyville. Many of the seats are painfully uncomfortable and parking is so limited that unmasked bandits have been known to charge up to $60 per car. Nevertheless, visiting Fenway is always worth the hassles.

26). U.S. CELLULAR FIELD, Chicago (19): What a joke. This place is like the old Expressway in Boston because it was outdated almost as soon as it opened. It replaced a crumbling old stadium but the subsequent opening of Camden Yards showed Chicago fans exactly what they could have had if Jerry Reinsdorf had any vision. For safety's sake, don't wander far from this stadium because you're not in Wrigleyville anymore!

for entire article

I lived in the neighborhood around Comiskey for most of my life. What's wrong
with it? Oh. There are black people to the south. Has this joke of a writer ever even been there?

What a ****ing bastard!!!!!!!!!

Daver
06-24-2004, 11:24 PM
However I have to be honest.....Wrigley is Yankee Stadium, and "The Cell" is Shea Stadium.
Yankee Stadium reeks of urine too?

I have done a lot of work at Wrigley Field, and I know first hand that the place is a dump, if not for it's landmark status it would be condemned.

1951Campbell
06-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Just to set the record straight

I fell in love with the old Comiskey the first time I went there, I knew I was with BASEBALL fans.............

I never felt that way about Wrigley, but would concede it was a better ballpark than Fenway

I liked Fenway. It has one feature that is unbeatable in any ballpark: all the seats are close to the field. Also, it is irregular out of necessity and not just to be cute. There has been so much history there, and when I was going to games in Boston, the Red Sox were good (still are). That makes it top three or five in my book.

But all the undue fawning over Fenway from New Englanders, I think, stems from how the park mirrors New England: it's small, cramped, old, the food is terrible, and you are meant to feel some sort of Puritan shame for ordering a beer (No beer vendors? Come on).

HomeFish
06-24-2004, 11:27 PM
There are black people to the south.

Well, it is Boston.

Oh, and fenway, thanks a lot for being useless the last two days. :angry:

Fenway
06-24-2004, 11:34 PM
believe me Fenway is in much worse shape than Wrigley

Yankee Stadium reeks of urine too?

I have done a lot of work at Wrigley Field, and I know first hand that the place is a dump, if not for it's landmark status it would be condemned.

GoSox2K3
06-24-2004, 11:59 PM

for entire article

:whocares

I was at US Cellular today and I think the place is great.

fhqwhgads
06-25-2004, 09:08 AM
What a crock. Any stadium rankings that don't list the Metrodome in the bottom 5 are worthless. I'd take the Cell anyday and twice on Sundays...if it had a retractable roof.

thepaulbowski
06-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I lived in the neighborhood around Comiskey for most of my life. What's wrong
with it? Oh. There are black people to the south. Has this joke of a writer ever even been there?

What a ****ing bastard!!!!!!!!!
Maybe Bonds was right about Boston.....since black people live nearby it is not safe to go out around Comiskey, be very careful and don't go out at night. The neighborhood around is safe enough for Roger Clemens to jog through in the morning when he was with the Yanks....this guy has probably never been to Comiskey or anywhere but the parking lot. Idiot.

Fenway
06-25-2004, 09:19 AM
The southside has gotten a horrible national rep over the years which probably stems from what visiting reporters see as they approach the park. I am sure most arrive by bus, taxi or CTA and what do they see? The Dan Ryan, the IIT campus, and until recently the Robert Taylor complex. How many have ever ventured past the railroad tracks to discover Bridgeport? It wasn't until I moved to Chicago in the 80's that I even knew it existed. I was stunned that Mayor Daley the elder lived 4 blocks away.

Wrigley is what it is. White Sox fans may pout that it is a dump but compared to Fenway it is Dodger Stadium. Trust me Fenway loses some charm when you sit in the wooden grandstand seats that were installed in 1934.

The Cell is a fine park, and the renovations have been a big plus. But it will always be compared to Wrigley which most baseball fans dream of going to.

Baby Fisk
06-25-2004, 09:32 AM
This is shoddy journalism without any bearing on reality. These types of lists are ridiculous because different people look for different things in a ballpark experience. This list in particular is useless because it's a compilation of myths.

When ass clowns look at Jeff Horrigan, they recognize him as their king.

He's right about one thing, tho:

Toronto, however, is a remarkable city for culture, dining and imbibing
:cool:

SSN721
06-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Ranked below the Metrodome, Skydome and just above the Big O in Montreal? This survey is such bull**** I cant even begin to go into how awful and slighted it is without wanting to punch my computer screen. I would love to know if this person went to all these parks or just talked to Cubs and Red Sox fans to get his ratings. What a bunch of crap.

Jerome
06-25-2004, 09:49 AM
:angry: How the hell did the Metrodome and Pro Player beat the Cell? At least ours is an actual Park.

GoSox2K3
06-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Ok, I know I said "who cares", but I can't help saying more.....

These rankings are useless. These lists usually just regurgitate the same pre-conceived biases about Comiskey that have been drilled into everyone's heads by the media for the last 12 years. It does not match the reaction I hear from most people who actually see a game there - those people, after all they have heard about it, are usually surprised at how nice the place is. This guy must have phoned in his review of USCF.

In an age where almost all the awful multi-purpose type stadiums have been replaced, what's the point of ranking them? If Petco Park and Comerica Park are both nice stadiums, then who cares where they rank? Does ranking 20 really tell you anything if there are 23 good places to see a game in the majors? In reality, only a few bad stadiums remain and I think they are: Olympic, Metrodome, Skydome, Shea, Pro-Players, Tropicana, and Oakland Colluseum. The idea that USCF would be lumped in with these places let alone ranked below any of these is crazy.

Regarding location, USCF is not the best located in the world, but is it really that bad? It's right by 2 el lines (only 4 stops from the loop!) and also easily accessible by car. Are all the other ballparks surrounded by bars? Some are, but I bet plenty on that list are not. It would be nice to have more bars or restaurants nearby - and maybe they will in 5 to 10 years when the area revitalizes - but why is this such a big deal to all the critics of USCF? Is it really that hard to get to USCF from Chicago's trendy neighborhoods? No! Just take the freakin' red line to 35th. Is everyone that goes to a game that desparate for alcohol that they must have a bar across from the park and can't wait between their last beer at the game and their next beer when they get off the el in their yuppie neighborhood 15 minutes later?
:moron
Oh shut up GoSox2k3, everyone knows that USCF is a ballmall and every seat is blue, empty, and located at the top of the upper deck!

DSpivack
06-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Ok, I know I said "who cares", but I can't help saying more.....

These rankings are useless. These lists usually just regurgitate the same pre-conceived biases about Comiskey that have been drilled into everyone's heads by the media for the last 12 years. It does not match the reaction I hear from most people who actually see a game there - those people, after all they have heard about it, are usually surprised at how nice the place is. This guy must have phoned in his review of USCF.

In an age where almost all the awful multi-purpose type stadiums have been replaced, what's the point of ranking them? If Petco Park and Comerica Park are both nice stadiums, then who cares where they rank? Does ranking 20 really tell you anything if there are 23 good places to see a game in the majors? In reality, only a few bad stadiums remain and I think they are: Olympic, Metrodome, Skydome, Shea, Pro-Players, Tropicana, and Oakland Colluseum. The idea that USCF would be lumped in with these places let alone ranked below any of these is crazy.

Regarding location, USCF is not the best located in the world, but is it really that bad? It's right by 2 el lines (only 4 stops from the loop!) and also easily accessible by car. Are all the other ballparks surrounded by bars? Some are, but I bet plenty on that list are not. It would be nice to have more bars or restaurants nearby - and maybe they will in 5 to 10 years when the area revitalizes - but why is this such a big deal to all the critics of USCF? Is it really that hard to get to USCF from Chicago's trendy neighborhoods? No! Just take the freakin' red line to 35th. Is everyone that goes to a game that desparate for alcohol that they must have a bar across from the park and can't wait between their last beer at the game and their next beer when they get off the el in their yuppie neighborhood 15 minutes later?
:moron
Oh shut up GoSox2k3, everyone knows that USCF is a ballmall and every seat is blue, empty, and located at the top of the upper deck!

I completely agree, except I actually liked Skydome. Where else can you get club seats with a carpetted concourse and padded seats for about $12? Maybe there is just something wrong with me, I dunno.

That article mentioned ridiculous parking costs near Fenway, but what about near Wrigley? I know family friends who stupidly once decided to drive to a Cubs game several years ago and ended up getting fleeced for $30 parking.

maurice
06-25-2004, 04:15 PM
I personally have no problem with the lots around the park, but there's no question that non-diehard Sox fans list it as the #1 knock against the park. Proximity to black people is a close #2, though it's expressed less often for obvious reasons. The first point can be addressed easily, but JR has shown no interest in doing so, as he created the situation intentionally. The second point requires the Sox and Sox fans to regularly confront blind prejudice with the truth about the safety of the area around the park (particularly relative to the Urinal).

I went to yesterday's game with about 20 people from work, almost all of whom live on the N. Side or in the 'burbs. Many relocated to Chicago from elsewhere in the US. Most wanted to go out for an after-game drink, but not one agreed to go to a neighborhood establishment. Reason given? "Two blocks is too far to walk."

I rode to the park on the el with a co-worker. He was in a good, talkative mood, but quickly clammed up when a black man got on the train and sat next to him. I kept talking, but he sat in stunned silenced for the next several minutes.

In any event, anybody who would rate the Metrodome over the Cell is a complete fool who probably never entered either park.

Huisj
06-25-2004, 08:36 PM
It's really, really sad to see just how not far our country has come in its problem with racism. sickening, just plain sickening. when will the people of this country grow the heck up??

woodenleg
06-25-2004, 09:53 PM
It's really, really sad to see just how not far our country has come in its problem with racism. sickening, just plain sickening. when will the people of this country grow the heck up??

Totally. He wasn't criticizing the area for its lack of nightlife, he was criticizing it for it's lack of 'safety'. Given that it's the Herald, that is most certainly coded language.