PDA

View Full Version : Sox Cubs rivalry article

Thunderstruck30
06-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Mlb.com has a nice article on the Sox Cubs rivalry. It mentions how it means more to Sox fans, but does give good reasons why. The author in a way sticks up for us. He also says that Cubs fans greatly outnumber Sox fans.However, from my own experience, I would say there's about an equal amount of both.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20040624&content_id=778986&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

SSN721
06-25-2004, 08:35 AM
I thought it was pretty well written. SOunds like he actually talked to people in Chicago as opposed to just formulating a generic incorrect opinion about Sox/Cub fans like most national writers do. It does seem like he gave good justification for the Sox fans being emotional about this series. Nice to see someone from outside the city to actually understand it a little bit.

Philo-Sox-er
06-25-2004, 09:23 AM
This author, Mike Bauman, has written a couple of very good articles involving the Sox this year.

fledgedrallycap
06-25-2004, 09:34 AM
However, from my own experience, I would say there's about an equal amount of both.

As much as I wish this were true, it just isn't my friend. There are more good fans for the Sox than Cubs, but the northsiders have a nation of assclowns that still believe Ryno is at Second base....:D:

As for the article, not bad. I think he correctly captures the importance of this series to Sox fans and the emotions we generally feel on a daily basis, but we are more popular than he makes it out to believe. We have a pretty strong fanbase in other markets.

How true is this statement becoming:

it appears that the former Comiskey Park has turned into Coors Field Midwest. Life is never easy, pulling for the Sox in a Cubbie world.

Fenway
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
USAToday looks at all the city series

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2004-06-24-cover-intracity-rivals_x.htm

They: Are lovable even when they lose.

We: Hate losing.

They: Champions in 1908.

We: Champions as recently as 1917. (And who can forget 1906?)

They: Believe they're cursed.

We: Agree.

They: Got (Kerry) Wood.

We: Got lumber.

They: Have a fan who says "Woo."

We: Don't.

They: Need tickets? See a broker.

We: Call 866-SOX-GAME.

Oh ... and the mayor likes us better.