PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-24 Sox vs. Tribe Post Game Thread

jabrch
06-24-2004, 03:17 PM
I haven't seen Rowand have a game (defensively) like he did today. Kudos to Aaron. He is looking like a serviceable major league CF and is starting to prove me wrong. I won't say he should be playing every day yet - I like having Harris in the lineup. But he is worlds better than he was last year.

JRIG
06-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Good momentum for tomorrow.
:bandance:

bigdommer
06-24-2004, 04:02 PM
I haven't seen him have a game (defensively) like he did today. Kudos to Aaron. He is looking like a serviceable major league CF and is starting to prove me wrong. I won't say he should be playing every day yet - I like having Harris in the lineup. But he is worlds better than he was last year.
The one thing that cannot be questioned about Rowand is his attitude and work ethic. This guy works out with Frank all off season, and works his tail off with Greg Walker in season. Last year, after he was sent to AAA, all you kept hearing about was how much time he spent with Walker. Now, all you hear about is how he is the first guy to the park every day. He knows he has had his chances, but he doesn't feel sorry for himself.

Maybe Maggs being hurt gave put pressure on him to produce, and maybe the opportunity to produce every day gave him confidence. I think he is great for this team, whether he is in CF, RF, or on the bench.

CanOfCorn
06-24-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm glad we didn't let Rick White leave town unscathed.

Baby Fisk
06-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Great job by Jon Rauch when the Sox most needed it. When did Rowand learn how to field? Is he still trying to impress chicks? :tongue:

PETA members close your eyes:

Time to skin some baby bears alive! :cool:

idseer
06-24-2004, 04:06 PM
The one thing that cannot be questioned about Rowand is his attitude and work ethic. This guy works out with Frank all off season, and works his tail off with Greg Walker in season. Last year, after he was sent to AAA, all you kept hearing about was how much time he spent with Walker. Now, all you hear about is how he is the first guy to the park every day. He knows he has had his chances, but he doesn't feel sorry for himself.

Maybe Maggs being hurt gave put pressure on him to produce, and maybe the opportunity to produce every day gave him confidence. I think he is great for this team, whether he is in CF, RF, or on the bench.totally agree. his whole mlb career to now has been one interuption after another. good to see him get a solid shot.

great job by jon r.! on top of everything else you think he wasn't feeling pressure today? wow! yet he stayed within himself and threw well. and i believe he'll only get better as that 1st game recedes.

congrats jon ..... and stay focused! :)

owensmouth
06-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Rick White shows last year was no fluke.

Rowand shows off a little leather.

Manos starts things off correctly.

And Jon Rauch (finally) shows off some of that potential.

Cliff Politte throws a darn good inning.

Marte looks like he did last year.

Jon Adkins closes out the game well.

Risk
06-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Great job by Jon Rauch when the Sox most needed it. When did Rowand learn how to field? Is he still trying to impress chicks? :tongue:

PETA members close your eyes:

Time to skin some baby bears alive! :cool:
I love the smell of napalmed Cubbies:D:

Risk

mdep524
06-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Overall great game:

-Rauch, Politte, Marte all pitched well.
-Valentin comes up big with men on ("the miestro of the 3-run homer" as Hawk said today)
-Rowand flashes some leather
Frank didn't look too good the past two games, hopefully he'll be back and ready to destroy the Cubbies tomorrow! :cool:

Mickster
06-24-2004, 04:09 PM
http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/mrburns.jpg

"Excellent!"

MRKARNO
06-24-2004, 04:13 PM
I think I might just have to join the FOC after his play lately....

He's displayed good range in the outfield with a strong arm and now he has the very good hitting to back it up.

Randar68
06-24-2004, 04:14 PM
I think I might just have to join the FOC after his play lately....

He's displayed good range in the outfield with a strong arm and now he has the very good hitting to back it up.
I'm watching you. :redneck

Mickster
06-24-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm watching you. :redneck
You have to give him some props today, Randar.... :o:

CanOfCorn
06-24-2004, 04:16 PM
I've kinda been a Rowand fan ever since I was at (one of) the game(s) where he ran nuts-first into the wall and held onto the ball.

Glad to see he's playing well.

Randar68
06-24-2004, 04:26 PM
You have to give him some props today, Randar.... :o:
I can't watch the day games, but if he played a good defensive game, that's fantastic. He always works hard, tries, and comes ready to play. You can't say that about most MLB players these days. As I said, I'm happy with him in a platoon situation if we don't have an everyday CF'er, but he's not an everyday CF'er, and never will be.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Maybe it was the law of averages kicking in with the 5th starter but whatever the reason, luck or skill I'll take it.

It's buys the Sox more time to shop.

Unfortunately Minnesota didn't have that much trouble with Boston.

Lip

Mickster
06-24-2004, 04:31 PM
I can't watch the day games, but if he played a good defensive game, that's fantastic. He always works hard, tries, and comes ready to play. You can't say that about most MLB players these days. As I said, I'm happy with him in a platoon situation if we don't have an everyday CF'er, but he's not an everyday CF'er, and never will be.
That's as close as we'll ever get to a compliment. :)

Randar68
06-24-2004, 04:43 PM
That's as close as we'll ever get to a compliment. :)I've never had a problem commending his attitude or work ethic. Physical talent and mental focus has always been a different story. He had a pretty crappy game in the field last night, although it didn't cost the Sox in the end. I just want the Sox to win, and that means the best players playing.

DSpivack
06-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Good job today, Jon [Rauch and Adkins].

Keep up the good pitching tomorrow, Jon [Garland].
What is weird about the Jons on the White Sox is that none of them use an H, which I assume to be much more common.

ZachAL
06-24-2004, 06:04 PM
couldnt watch the game today, but wanted to know if anyone knew what the attendance was on a weekday game with bad weather...anyone have an idea?

Daver
06-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Just under 21,000.

Iguana775
06-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Way to go Rauch!!! woo hoo!!!

:dtroll: :supernana: :dtroll: :supernana: :dtroll: :supernana: :dtroll: :supernana:

SoxxoS
06-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Maybe it was the law of averages kicking in with the 5th starter but whatever the reason, luck or skill I'll take it.

It's buys the Sox more time to shop.

Unfortunately Minnesota didn't have that much trouble with Boston.

Lip
Had to have that little big of negativity in there, didn't you?

idseer
06-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Had to have that little big of negativity in there, didn't you?
had to point that out ... didn't you?

FarWestChicago
06-24-2004, 08:27 PM
had to point that out ... didn't you?Yes he did. It was a classic dark lining to a silver cloud post. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

SoxxoS
06-24-2004, 08:42 PM
had to point that out ... didn't you?
What does that mean?

Randar68
06-24-2004, 08:43 PM
What does that mean?
Careful, the FOLIP's are very sensitive to criticism.

beckett21
06-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Careful, the FOLIP's are very sensitive to criticism.
:violin:

Lip Man 1
06-24-2004, 09:26 PM
I tried to be kind to Jon, he deserved kudos for today.

But I think it's a might early to be saying our '5th starter problems are solved' don't you?

I seem to recall others saying that same thing about a number of pitchers the past two years in the backend of the Sox rotation. Things didn't work out the way they planned. As some have pontificated here in the past, 'it's only one game...'

Lip

FarWestChicago
06-24-2004, 09:29 PM
But I think it's a might early to be saying our '5th starter problems are solved' don't you?This I agree with. Did it need to be said in a celebratory thread, especially considering how few of those there are these days? That's the question. There's nothing wrong with being happy occasionally.

idseer
06-24-2004, 09:53 PM
This I agree with. Did it need to be said in a celebratory thread, especially considering how few of those there are these days? That's the question. There's nothing wrong with being happy occasionally.
come on ... it's just a post game thread. the idea is to analyze the game right?

geez! is there some kind of prize to the person who points out the most negative posts? :(:

and to soxxos. what it meant was ... why did you feel the need to take a fairly upbeat post and slam it down? over anxious to be part of the 'in' crowd who gets off belittling lip's most every post?

when does the piling on stop? :angry:

A. Cavatica
06-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Nobody's commented on Ozzie pulling Rauch after 5 innings (80 pitches).
It was a surprisingly quick hook for Ozzie, and opened him up to second-guessing, but today it was exactly right. Even if Rauch has another inning in him, I like that Ozzie got him out of the game with the lead. Boosting his confidence was more important than the slight risk of going to the bullpen too early.

flo-B-flo
06-24-2004, 09:56 PM
And now it's time for the scrubs to come in. Sox need at least two of these games. Some uneven play the last two weeks has slowed the momentum a bit. Great time to start a BIG winning streak. GO-GO SOX!!!

Randar68
06-24-2004, 09:58 PM
It was a surprisingly quick hook for Ozzie, and opened him up to second-guessing, but today it was exactly right. Even if Rauch has another inning in him, I like that Ozzie got him out of the game with the lead. Boosting his confidence was more important than the slight risk of going to the bullpen too early.
ummmm, Ozzie sent him out there for the 6th, but he gave up the lead-off double, so Ozzie pulled him with a chance for the win.

Jon hadn't pitched since the 15th, so he wasn't going to be able to go much more than 80 pitches in the first place.

Randar68
06-24-2004, 09:59 PM
when does the piling on stop? :angry:
Without the negative repetitive posts, what would there be to criticize?

FarWestChicago
06-24-2004, 09:59 PM
and to soxxos. what it meant was ... why did you feel the need to take a fairly upbeat post and slam it down? over anxious to be part of the 'in' crowd who gets off belittling lip's most every post?

when does the piling on stop? :angry:You got it backwards, id. The FOLIP's are the "in crowd". The non-depressed are few and far between. When does Lip stop with the constant, repetitive, negative posts? Your "piling" will stop then.

beckett21
06-24-2004, 10:02 PM
You got it backwards, id. The FOLIP's are the "in crowd". The non-depressed are few and far between. When does Lip stop with the constant, repetitive, negative posts? Your "piling" will stop then.
It sure is a lot quieter here tonight following a win, isn't it? :unsure:

Funny how that works.

JB98
06-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Actually, I'm going to take all the credit for today's victory. Coming into this afternoon, the Sox were 6-0 with me in attendance. Our fifth starter was 0-8. As I drove to the Cell today, I knew that something had to give and it was up to me to put a stop to this preposterous losing streak. Fortunately, I was able to channel all of my positive karma into the arm of Jon Rauch and come away with the win.

Unfortunately, despite my 7-0 record, JR has yet to offer me season tickets. :smile:

SoxxoS
06-24-2004, 10:07 PM
You got it backwards, id. The FOLIP's are the "in crowd". The non-depressed are few and far between. When does Lip stop with the constant, repetitive, negative posts? Your "piling" will stop then.
Exactly, FWC.

I think Lip knows a rediculous amount about baseball. But the negative posts just got old. Now, if he does post something positive, something negative has to be thrown in. Does- "But Minnesota keeps on winning..." need to be thrown in there? No. This is a White Sox board, we need to take care of our own business and start the scoreboard watching/worrying in August.

SoxxoS
06-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Actually, I'm going to take all the credit for today's victory. Coming into this afternoon, the Sox were 6-0 with me in attendance. Our fifth starter was 0-8. As I drove to the Cell today, I knew that something had to give and it was up to me to put a stop to this preposterous losing streak. Fortunately, I was able to channel all of my positive karma into the arm of Jon Rauch and come away with the win.

Unfortunately, despite my 7-0 record, JR has yet to offer me season tickets. :smile:
:reinsy

"I don't care if we win the rest of our games. You 'aint getting nothing for free."

FarWestChicago
06-24-2004, 10:12 PM
I think Lip knows a rediculous amount about baseball. But the negative posts just got old.Lip is a walking baseball encyclopedia and an excellent writer. Unfortunately, he seems to think sharing his "mood" is a required public service or something.

TornLabrum
06-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Jayzuss Kreest! Last night we were on Ozzie for leaving in Buehrle too long. Today, we're on him for having a qucik hook.

Frankly I prefer the quick hook if a pitcher is tiring.

TornLabrum
06-24-2004, 10:21 PM

Sorry, I get the credit. I was at the games Monday and Wednesday. I was 0-2, or 2-0 if I'm I truly am a jinx.

TornLabrum
06-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Exactly, FWC.

I think Lip knows a rediculous amount about baseball. But the negative posts just got old. Now, if he does post something positive, something negative has to be thrown in. Does- "But Minnesota keeps on winning..." need to be thrown in there? No. This is a White Sox board, we need to take care of our own business and start the scoreboard watching/worrying in August.
Let me ask you this? Did Minnesota win today? Did they win last night? Did we move into first place today? Yes, there is something slightly negative about today. We didn't gain any ground on the Twins. The one positive thing to say is that unlike last night, we didn't lose ground.

When will Lip be happy? The same time I'll be happy. When we win our first World Series in what is now rapidly approaching 87 years. To put that in perspective, I'm 54 and my mother is 85. She wasn't even alive yet the last time the Sox won a World Series. So what exactly is there to be positive about?

HomeFish
06-24-2004, 10:25 PM
Does- "But Minnesota keeps on winning..." need to be thrown in there? No. This is a White Sox board, we need to take care of our own business and start the scoreboard watching/worrying in August.

Wins now count the same as wins in August or September. That's true in Minneapolis too.

FarWestChicago
06-24-2004, 10:30 PM
So what exactly is there to be positive about?And what good is being depressed all the time? Why not enjoy a moment every now and then? What is there to be happy about? I'm alive, reasonably healthy, the Sox won today. Live in the moment a little. Hey, we're all going to die someday. Should we be miserable every moment of our lives because of that fact?

idseer
06-24-2004, 10:38 PM
so it's the old chiken and egg argument huh?
all i know is i don't see lip criticizing anyone else's posts, but i see way too much the other way around.

there wasn't a single thing wrong with the post in question as far as i could tell. it was factual and succinct. it was celebratory and astute. there was no reason whatsoever to make a "NEGATIVE" comment about it.

this is all i have to say on the matter as i'm sure lip doesn't really need my support in all this. i don't expect anything to change and it is also getting too far :offtopic: .

TornLabrum
06-24-2004, 11:21 PM
And what good is being depressed all the time? Why not enjoy a moment every now and then? What is there to be happy about? I'm alive, reasonably healthy, the Sox won today. Live in the moment a little. Hey, we're all going to die someday. Should we be miserable every moment of our lives because of that fact?
Who's depressed? Baseball is a game and following the Sox is an avocation, a close-to-all-consuming avocation, but an avocation nonetheless. This weekend while everyone else will be getting worked up over the Cubs-Sox series, I'll be in Elkhart, IN taking in three days of non-stop live jazz, my other avocation.

I would remind you of one thing regarding baseball. The ultimate object is to win the World Series. That's true happiness. Being a Sox fan is like living a saintly life and then dying and finding out you'll spend eternity in purgatory with no chance of getting to heaven. That's not exactly what you hoped for. What you would tell me is, "At least it isn't hell." What I say is, "It ain't what I hoped to gain either."

FarWestChicago
06-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Who's depressed?I'm assuming that's a joke. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/redneck.gif

Just be happy I'm an optimist. Otherwise there would be no board for people to be depressed on. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

id's right. Enough is enough. :offtopic:

TornLabrum
06-25-2004, 07:26 AM
I'm assuming that's a joke. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/redneck.gif

Just be happy I'm an optimist. Otherwise there would be no board for people to be depressed on. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

id's right. Enough is enough. :offtopic:
You're right. 87 freakin' years is long enough to wait for a World Series championship.

Railsplitter
06-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Fifth starer wins and the Sox add to a late lead instead of blowing one. Definately a cause for dancing nanners.
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Randar68
06-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Fifth starer wins and the Sox add to a late lead instead of blowing one. Definately a cause for dancing nanners.
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
Or whining crybabies if you read this thread... :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Viva Magglio
06-25-2004, 10:41 AM
I'll admit that this was a game I didn't think we would win going into it. However, I was very pleased with the effort we put forth yesterday. This was really the first good game we've had since the 10-3 win over Atlanta on June 13. Rauch pitched well enough to win, and the team executed offensively (albeit late in the 8th inning). This is what I want to see on a consistent basis.

We will have our work cut out for us this weekend, and we must at least win the series against the Cubs. Civic pride is important here, especially with us always cast in the bad light by the media powers that be. More importantly, we must take next week's series up in Minnesota.

:bandance:

FarWestChicago
06-25-2004, 11:39 AM
87 freakin' years is long enough to wait for a World Series championship.Geeze, Hal. I knew you were older than me, but I didn't know you were that old, you fossil. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Lip Man 1
06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
From a story by Joe Cowley in the Daily Southtown:

"Before Jon Rauch picked up a win on Thursday, No. 5 starters for the Sox were a combined 0-8 with an 11.97 ERA this season. Going back to last year, they were 3-19 with a 7.92 ERA. And despite Thursday's win against Cleveland, I'm still not sold on Rauch. It's basic mathematics, people. In large part, this is what decided the American League Central Division last year, and it's looking like a repeat performance this season. Face it, the mediocrity that the Minnesota Twins have thrown out on the mound for their fifth spot is better than the batting practice machines being wheeled out for the Sox the past year and a half."

Lip

gosox41
06-25-2004, 12:12 PM
From a story by Joe Cowley in the Daily Southtown:

"Before Jon Rauch picked up a win on Thursday, No. 5 starters for the Sox were a combined 0-8 with an 11.97 ERA this season. Going back to last year, they were 3-19 with a 7.92 ERA. And despite Thursday's win against Cleveland, I'm still not sold on Rauch. It's basic mathematics, people. In large part, this is what decided the American League Central Division last year, and it's looking like a repeat performance this season. Face it, the mediocrity that the Minnesota Twins have thrown out on the mound for their fifth spot is better than the batting practice machines being wheeled out for the Sox the past year and a half."

Lip

He's right. Hopefully KW will pull off a trade soon. Maybe now that Beltran has been traded, other teams will be looking to trade since a market has been set.

Bob

maurice
06-25-2004, 03:51 PM
maurice's buddy: "Hey, Rick White's got a good ERA this season."
maurice: "Rick White sucks."
. . .
maurice's buddy: "Wow, his curveball looks pretty good."
maurice: "Rick White sucks."
. . .
Konerko: base hit.
Gload: base hit.
Crede: base hit.
. . .
maurice: "I told you Rick White sucks."

- - -

BTW, it's nice to see that the FOLIP continue their never-ending crusade against good news.

:kukoo: