PDA

View Full Version : Shingo Story

Lip Man 1
06-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Interesting column by Greg Couch today about Shingo and what happened when he went to Schaumberg to take a driver's test. Apparently some Cub fans didn't make things easy for him.

Lip

zach23
06-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Interesting column by Greg Couch today about Shingo and what happened when he went to Schaumberg to take a driver's test. Apparently some Cub fans didn't make things easy for him.

Lip

That could never happen. Cub fans don't care about the Sox, so they could never have known who he was.

vegyrex
06-24-2004, 12:40 PM
That "lady" should be fired. :angry:

Palehose13
06-24-2004, 12:40 PM

Lip
Link?

vegyrex
06-24-2004, 12:44 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg24.html

SoxFan78

Rocky Soprano
I read that this morning and couldn't believe it.
I wish we could find out who it was and send a bunch of complaints.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2004, 12:45 PM

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-24-2004, 12:56 PM
and cub fans wonder why sox fans hate them. it's not because they like the cubs team(okay, maybe that's some of it too), it's because of idiotic stuff like this that they do. :angry:

ILL-INI S.Sider
06-24-2004, 12:56 PM
That makes me so mad. Not only is it in "poor" taste as a government employee to discriminate, but it is down right mean. She should honestly be fired. It is very unprofessional.

jabrch
06-24-2004, 01:03 PM
That makes me so mad. Not only is it in "poor" taste as a government employee to discriminate, but it is down right mean. She should honestly be fired. It is very unprofessional.
There is nothing unprofessional about requiring a person to pass a drivers liscense test without assistance. That test is available in multiple languages, English and Spanish for sure. If he can not pass that test, he can not meet the requirements to drive in this state - and thus should not be given a liscense regardless of what team he plays for.

I think blaming this on Cubs fans might be going a bit too far - blame the state for requiring Shingo to take a written exam!

owensmouth
06-24-2004, 01:05 PM
I read the article and my first thought was that the employee needed to be disciplined.

Doesn't the DMV have Japanese language versions of the test?

Should someone who cannot speak or read English be given an Illinois driver's license?

ILL-INI S.Sider
06-24-2004, 01:12 PM
I didn't think it was unprofessional for the woman to not let him speak with his interpreter. I thought it was unprofessional to announce she was not a fan of his team, and to proceed to treat him "coldly" because of he was a White Sox.

na_na_na_na
06-24-2004, 01:24 PM
There is nothing unprofessional about requiring a person to pass a drivers liscense test without assistance. That test is available in multiple languages, English and Spanish for sure. If he can not pass that test, he can not meet the requirements to drive in this state - and thus should not be given a liscense regardless of what team he plays for.

I think blaming this on Cubs fans might be going a bit too far - blame the state for requiring Shingo to take a written exam!

I don't blame the cubs for this, but it surely seems racist towards japenese people. After all we have no official language.

Palehose13
06-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Should someone who cannot speak or read English be given an Illinois driver's license?
Does one really have to be literate to drive?

woodenleg
06-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Yeah, really. There's a reason that those signs have certain colors, shapes and images, and it's not to decorate the landscape.

How many driver's license places -are- there in Scumburg?

I'll bet that woman didn't expect to be embarrassed in the local paper. Good going, Couch.

Philo-Sox-er
06-24-2004, 02:34 PM
First, if it was a Cub Japanese pitcher, do you think she would have let him speak to his interpreter? I wonder...

Sox fans haven't noticed [Takatsu] yet because if they don't see something to complain about then they're not breathing.
Second, how come nobody has said anything about the above quote from that article?

jabrch
06-24-2004, 02:40 PM
First, if it was a Cub Japanese pitcher, do you think she would have let him speak to his interpreter? I wonder...

Second, how come nobody has said anything about the above quote from that article?
Hard to argue the truth. Just look at any WSI thread!

HomeFish
06-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Wait. If she's a true Cub fan, how does she know who Takatsu is?

Philo-Sox-er
06-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Well, I've seen nothing but positive comments about Shingo on WSI. How long have WSI-ers been callling for him to be closer, long before they dumped Kroch?

TornLabrum
06-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Wait. If she's a true Cub fan, how does she know who Takatsu is?
Exactly. After all, we've heard for a long time now that it's White Sox fans who are obsessed with the Cubs, not the other way around.

gobears1987
06-25-2004, 03:42 PM
In Illinois no. You just have to bribe the DMV and make sure George Ryan's campaign gets the money.:supernana:

GoSox2K3
06-25-2004, 05:14 PM
So, which "DMV" employee was it - Patty or Selma?

http://www.worldwide-web.com/JeffreyBabad/Simpsons/PattySelma/DMV.wav

Seriously, though, that's outrageous. I hate the Cubs as much as anyone, but I couldn't imagine being a jerk to a Cubs player who came into my place of employement as a citizen seeking a service just because he's on the Cubs.

humansushi
06-25-2004, 07:19 PM
I feel bad for the guy... I have a Japanese license... the test here was given in English, 10 true or false questions...ie You can drink alcoholic beverages and drive if you feel fine... the thinking behind the easy written exam was that I was already issued a license in my country and don't need to be quizzed again...still need to take the driving test though...simple

Viva Magglio
06-25-2004, 09:03 PM
That is an outrage. The woman obviously harrassed Takatsu based upon his baseball orientation. I hope the hell someone tells Secretary of State Jesse White about this. That woman should be fired.

munchman33
06-25-2004, 09:12 PM
No, only recognize the symbols. They are legally obligated to provide him with a copy in his language or schedule a date when a translator from the State can help him.

RedPinStripes
06-25-2004, 09:29 PM
He sould have talked to a trucker. South Holland is the place to go. Too bad the McCook facility isnt open anymore. 100.00 on the passenger seat and you get a an "A" class lisence , doubles, triples, tanker, air brake, and an hazmat lisence. :D: