PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 6/24/04

Hangar18
06-24-2004, 09:13 AM
SOX actually outstory the Cubs today in BOTH papers. But not enough
to stop them from going over the thousand mark.

Cubune:
4 cub stories
5 sox stories
Cub-Times:
4 cub stories
5 sox stories

Standings since ST..................
CUBS 1003
SOX 692

Hangar18
06-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Jimmy Piersall was on the Radio today, He said he Cant figure out
WHY Mike Jackson is still playing baseball, he busted out a stat in which
the last few home runs hes given up, have Cost the SOX the game & hurt
the team. He said the guy looks terrible, probably was finished a couple
yrs ago and Has no business being on this team anymore. He gave a rough estimate how many games Jackson has cost the the SOX (cost meaning the SOX were either Winning/Tied and shouldve won) and its staggering.
Put him and KOCH together, and were at 10 games AT LEAST!!!!!!!!!
TEN GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine the sox with a conservative
est here, 8 more wins instead of 8 losses? INstead of 35-31, were
43-23. Then again, Look at ALL THE MONEY WE SAVED BY LETTING GORDON & SULLIVAN go .........:reinsy
"Atta boy, now your looking at the Big Picture! Id rather be .500 and MAKING MONEY then 43-23 and making a little bit of money"

owensmouth
06-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Why does everyone want to keep blaming JR for those two guys leaving?

As I remember, Gordon wanted out of Chicago. He wanted to be somewhere that he would be either the setup man or the closer, not the mix like JM was using him. So he chose the Yankees, where he's practically guaranteed to be the setup due to the closer role there being occupied.

Sullivan did not produce for us like we were led to believe he could. He underperformed, just like Robbie Alomar underperformed. If we had kept him, we'd be bitching about him and wondering KW wasted so much money on him.

bennyw41
06-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Why does everyone want to keep blaming JR for those two guys leaving?

As I remember, Gordon wanted out of Chicago. He wanted to be somewhere that he would be either the setup man or the closer, not the mix like JM was using him. So he chose the Yankees, where he's practically guaranteed to be the setup due to the closer role there being occupied.

Sullivan did not produce for us like we were led to believe he could. He underperformed, just like Robbie Alomar underperformed. If we had kept him, we'd be bitching about him and wondering KW wasted so much money on him.
I agree. I'm sick of everyone blaming the wrong people

nasox
06-24-2004, 08:27 PM
I agree. I'm sick of everyone blaming the wrong people
You must be sick of WSI then!

JB98
06-24-2004, 10:21 PM
IIRC, the Yankees offered Flash a multi-year deal and overpaid for him. He's a good reliever, but I would not have given him anything more than a 1-year deal given his history of arm trouble. I wish he were still here, but given the circumstance, I can't blame the Sox for not re-signing him.