PDA

View Full Version : Chimp on the way out?

Railsplitter
06-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Mack, Jurko , and Harry were discussing this yesterday, but I haven't seen it elsewhere. Is Chip Caray really on the way out as the Cubs' play-by-play man.

TornLabrum
06-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Mack, Jurko , and Harry were discussing this yesterday, but I haven't seen it elsewhere. Is Chip Caray really on the way out as the Cubs' play-by-play man.
The last I heard, a week or two ago, he and WGN and/or the Cubs were still negotiating. The rumor I heard was that Steve Stone want him out.

34 Inch Stick
06-24-2004, 08:44 AM
The Tribune has to notify him of his status for next year by June 30. It would be nice for the bad news to come on the heels of a Sox sweep.

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2004, 09:07 AM
The rumor I heard was that Steve Stone want him out.
Wow that sounds familiar. Sounds like Harry with Josh Lewin!

Tekijawa
06-24-2004, 09:30 AM
But he's such a quality announcer!

Dadawg_77
06-24-2004, 09:31 AM
The Tribune has to notify him of his status for next year by June 30. It would be nice for the bad news to come on the heels of a Sox sweep.
If you don't here anything, he is gone. But if he is staying they will make an announcement.

Baby Fisk
06-24-2004, 09:38 AM
If you don't here anything, he is gone. But if he is staying they will make an announcement.If he reverts back to his true calling as a house painter or kiddie pool lifeguard or whatever, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame the Sox.

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2004, 09:56 AM
But he's such a quality announcer!
:chimp

"Surely someone will see the true talent in me... SWUNG ON AND BELTED!!"

jfo go go sox
06-24-2004, 10:12 AM
In the immortal words of another baseball announcer:

HE Gone

chuckn98229
06-24-2004, 11:19 AM
That means I can cross off one item from my list of over a million things I despise about this faux-major-league team!

bobj4400
06-24-2004, 11:22 AM
That means I can cross off one item from my list of over a million things I despise about this faux-major-league team!
Next up: demolish the Urinal and confiscate Scamme's *vitamins* in whichever order...

CubKilla
06-24-2004, 12:03 PM
"If there's a God,".....

StillMissOzzie
06-24-2004, 02:50 PM
:chimp

"You can't fire me! I inherited this job from my grandpa!"

SOXSINCE'70
06-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Wow that sounds familiar. Sounds like Harry with Josh Lewin!
Josh Lewin is Hebrew for Chip Caray.:redneck :redneck :redneck

hsnterprize
06-24-2004, 09:52 PM
And to think...a couple of years ago, I covered a Cubs game, and wore my Sox cap in the Cubs' locker room. I saw Chip Caray in there, and introduced myself. After some idle chit chat, I told him I was a Sox fan. He said, "We'll convert you sooner or later."

Can't help but laugh. Looks like he'll be "swung on and belted" out of town. God forbid he comes to the South Side. Harry, as much as hated Reinsdorf, would flip in his grave.

Where's Skip Caray when you need him?

kcsportscaster
06-24-2004, 10:16 PM
First off, now wait a minute!!!! Skip Caray is staying with the Braves!!!! He, along with Pete Van Wieren, ARE the "Voices of the Braves!!!!" I read about Chip Caray possibly being on his way out in the Cubune a month ago, including that the Flubbies have to inform him by June whether or not they would retain him for next season. I used to be a fan of Chip when he did Braves games on a part-time basis, mostly on the then SportSouth, now Fox Sports Net-South, and a handful of games on TBS in the early '90s as well as when he was the full-time television voice of the Orlando Magic during that same time, but since joining the Flubs, especially the last couple of years, he has been a complete sell-out and has become the most annoying homer announcer in the history of baseball. When has he ever given the Flubs opponents any credit in the past couple of years???? Also, how often does a game go by, especially a WGN telecast, when Steve Stone has to correct him ON-THE-AIR???? Several times a game!!!!

A couple of more thinga about Chip Caray: He stole the "SWUNG ON AND BELTED" from longtime Seattle Mariners play-by-play announcer Dave Niehaus, Niehaus says it better, and he stole "IT'S TIME FOR CUBS BASEBALL" from longtime Atlanta Braves announcer Ernie Johnson, Sr., who retired from full-time work on TBS and Braves Radio after the 1989 season, and from part-time SportSouth/Fox Sports Net-South work after the 1999 season. Ernie would always open a Braves broadcast with "IT'S TIME FOR BRAVES BASEBALL!!!!"

Chip Caray just annoys the freakin' hell out of me with his Flubbies homer junk!!!! He would have been better off staying with Fox baseball and the Orlando Magic!!!!

One more thing, for hsnterprize: What did you do in the Chicago media, and where have you worked? I ask because I am looking to leave my current situation at WCOA Radio in Pensacola, Florida to go to a better situation somewhere else as a sports and news anchor and reporter.

Later on,

Ken Coleman

hsnterprize
06-24-2004, 10:31 PM
First off, now wait a minute!!!! Skip Caray is staying with the Braves!!!! He, along with Pete Van Wieren, ARE the "Voices of the Braves!!!!" I read about Chip Caray possibly being on his way out in the Cubune a month ago, including that the Flubbies have to inform him by June whether or not they would retain him for next season. I used to be a fan of Chip when he did Braves games on a part-time basis, mostly on the then SportSouth, now Fox Sports Net-South, and a handful of games on TBS in the early '90s as well as when he was the full-time television voice of the Orlando Magic during that same time, but since joining the Flubs, especially the last couple of years, he has been a complete sell-out and has become the most annoying homer announcer in the history of baseball. When has he ever given the Flubs opponents any credit in the past couple of years???? Also, how often does a game go by, especially a WGN telecast, when Steve Stone has to correct him ON-THE-AIR???? Several times a game!!!!

A couple of more thinga about Chip Caray: He stole the "SWUNG ON AND BELTED" from longtime Seattle Mariners play-by-play announcer Dave Niehaus, Niehaus says it better, and he stole "IT'S TIME FOR CUBS BASEBALL" from longtime Atlanta Braves announcer Ernie Johnson, Sr., who retired from full-time work on TBS and Braves Radio after the 1989 season, and from part-time SportSouth/Fox Sports Net-South work after the 1999 season. Ernie would always open a Braves broadcast with "IT'S TIME FOR BRAVES BASEBALL!!!!"

Chip Caray just annoys the freakin' hell out of me with his Flubbies homer junk!!!! He would have been better off staying with Fox baseball and the Orlando Magic!!!!

One more thing, for hsnterprize: What did you do in the Chicago media, and where have you worked? I ask because I am looking to leave my current situation at WCOA Radio in Pensacola, Florida to go to a better situation somewhere else as a sports and news anchor and reporter.

Later on,

Ken ColemanHey Ken,

FIrst of all, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve about Chip and Skip Caray. I read the post you sent about how the Braves announcers were really nice when they came to U.S. Cellular Field. I thought it was really cool when they actually said GOOD things about the ballpark in the midst of all the negativity they'd received beforehand. Needless to say, in light of Chip Caray's constant banterings and such, it's good to know at least 1 surviving Caray has a good head on his shoulders.

Secondly, I'm a news and sports producer and reporter for WMBI Radio here in Chicago. My main job at WMBI is editing and news writing for reporter and news director Dave Mitchell every M-F for the station's morning show. You can click on my "public profile" and you'll see a link to my station. You can actually listen to it online from 5 to 9 AM Central time to hear Mark Elfstrand and the Morning Team. I occasionally report sports on the morning show whenever Dave's out of the office. But I also cover news and sporting events for the station. Along with that, I'm also a news anchor and sports reporter for the Illinois Radio Network. I just started that gig, and it provides a lot of good experience. Prior to working at WMBI and IRN, I was also a producer for Sporting News Radio (formerly One on One Sports) based in Northbrook, Illinois, and interned at WMVP Radio long before it was bought out by ESPN.

If you want to come here, I suggest you feel your way around first. It's HIGHLY COMPETITIVE here in Chicago, and a lot of people won't even consider you if you don't have experience in whatever you're looking for. However, if you're serious about either leaving your area, or if you're thinking about coming up here, then I'll give you a few contacts depending on what you want to do, and good luck to you.

It's a shame Chip stole so much from so many people. He doesn't really impress me too much. I know he's got a lot of experience in other areas under his belt, but there's just something about being connected with the Cubs that totally changes a person from being an objective reporter to someone suffering from the effects of Cubbie Kool-Aid.

kcsportscaster
06-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Hey thanks for the reply!!!! I would much rather have a private e-mail exchange than exchange messages on this thread. Here is my e-mail address:

kcsportscaster2002@yahoo.com

I'll likely answer sometime Friday mid to late morning or early afternoon.

Later on,

Ken