PDA

View Full Version : Positive Article in the Herald

SaltyPretzel
06-24-2004, 08:17 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38162162

Fungo
06-24-2004, 08:35 AM
If our play doesn't improve over the next week and a half, the Sox may find themselves sellers rather than buyers. We've got a tough row to hoe with the cubs, twins, cubs then Angels. The Sox need to get their collective heads out of their collective a**es.

ChiSoxBobette
06-24-2004, 09:42 AM
If our play doesn't improve over the next week and a half, the Sox may find themselves sellers rather than buyers. We've got a tough row to hough with the cubs, twins, cubs then Angels. The Sox need to get their collective heads out of their collective a**es.
They better get hot and I mean winning at least 5/6 games in a row or I can see another white flag being raised over US Cellular at the all-star break instead of us trading for someone who can help us. After last nights performance I think this team is finished , and yeah I know theres a lot of baseball to be played but you have to think like JR and I don't see this guy letting KW go out and spend more money on the White Sox epecially with his basketball team going into the NBA draft. Past history has shown White Sox fans that JR cares more about the Bulls than the White Sox so all this talk about giving KW a blank check so he can get the White Sox over the top and into the playoffs is in my opinion starting to fade with every White Sox loss. I see the White Sox in 3rd place after today and this weekends series with the scrubs. I hope I'm wrong but it does'nt look like it not from what I've seen these past 3 games with the indians. I think JR is going to ride this out until the all-star break and then you're going to see the White Sox up for sale, so goodbye to Maggs, Valentin, possibly Crede(the Sox drafted a 3rd baseman in the draft),Sandy Alomar Jr.,Rowand,Loaiza,Konerko, and MAYBE EVEN FRANK because I think Frank will want to at least finish his career with a team who has more than a slight chance of getting to the World Series.
We might see an infield of:
Olivo Catcher
Gload 1st base
Harris 2nd base
Uribe SS
Rookie 3rd base
C.Lee LF
Rookie CF
Rookie RF
and the lord only knows what our pitching and relief staff will look like.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
A very promising season has dwindled into Wait Until Next Year.

jabrch
06-24-2004, 09:45 AM
We've got a tough row to hough with the cubs, twins, cubs then Angels.

Not to nitpick, but huh? A tough "row to hough"? *** is that? A tough road to hoe maybe - but a row to hough? :)

Jerko
06-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Not to nitpick, but huh? A tough "row to hough"? *** is that? A tough road to hoe maybe - but a row to hough? :)
That's it!!! Chuck Hough could be our 5th starter!

Chisox_cali
06-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Positive Article, Negative Reply's. Classic WSI...

Mickster
06-24-2004, 09:51 AM
No truer words have ever been spoken......

IlliniSox
06-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Positive Article, Negative Reply's. Classic WSI...OK, Let's get positive. +156,000 in attendance from this time last year:

I'd say the average fan spends $27 for a ticket and extras (more for drunks like myself, less for normal people).

Sounds like that's $4.3 Million more in revenue. That also sounds like we could afford another cat from seattle's contract for the rest of the year. PULL THE TRIGGOR!

infohawk
06-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Everyone, keep things in perspective. I've left this message in other threads. We are two games back. Even if we slide for another week or two, its hard to believe the Sox will be worse off than they were at the beginning of July last year. KW could have written off last season countless times. The Sox were absolutely buried. Remember, the Sox didn't really start to play good, consistent ball until the second or third week in July. The Sox had a record of 50-50 and were 5 games behind the division leading Royals as late as July 22. The Twins were 49-50 on July 22. The Sox went on to win 86 games and the Twins went on to win 90. The Sox came all the way back to take first place at some point in August. I think they will most definitely be buyers. Let's keep our powder dry, allow Kenny to make some moves and see where we stand at that point.

IlliniSox
06-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Everyone, keep things in perspective. I've left this message in other threads. We are two games back. Even if we slide for another week or two, its hard to believe the Sox will be worse off than they were at the beginning of July last year. KW could have written off last season countless times. The Sox were absolutely buried. Remember, the Sox didn't really start to play good, consistent ball until the second or third week in July. The Sox had a record of 50-50 and were 5 games behind the division leading Royals as late as July 22. The Twins were 49-50 on July 22. The Sox went on to win 86 games and the Twins went on to win 90. The Sox came all the way back to take first place at some point in August. I think they will most definitely be buyers. Let's keep our powder dry, allow Kenny to make some moves and see where we stand at that point.WORD.

We were a first place team as late as the Fenway Series Sep 11-13 and won that series 2-1. It wasn't until the twins piledrived us later that week was it over.

I for one am sticking around for a while.

Fungo
06-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Not to nitpick, but huh? A tough "row to hough"? *** is that? A tough road to hoe maybe - but a row to hough? :)Thanks catching my spelling mistake, but, "not to nitpick", I'm not sure how (or why) you'd hoe a road. You can, however, hoe a row of crops on a farm. The saying goes "tough row to hoe."

white sox bill
06-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks catching my spelling mistake, but, "not to nitpick", I'm not sure how (or why) you'd hoe a road. You can, however, hoe a row of crops on a farm. The saying goes "tough row to hoe."
Stop talking bad about my ex-girlfriend!!

Jerko
06-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Stop talking bad about my ex-girlfriend!!
Not to nitpick again, but that would be "ho", not "hoe"

bigdommer
06-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Everyone, keep things in perspective. I've left this message in other threads. We are two games back. Even if we slide for another week or two, its hard to believe the Sox will be worse off than they were at the beginning of July last year. KW could have written off last season countless times. The Sox were absolutely buried. Remember, the Sox didn't really start to play good, consistent ball until the second or third week in July. The Sox had a record of 50-50 and were 5 games behind the division leading Royals as late as July 22. The Twins were 49-50 on July 22. The Sox went on to win 86 games and the Twins went on to win 90. The Sox came all the way back to take first place at some point in August. I think they will most definitely be buyers. Let's keep our powder dry, allow Kenny to make some moves and see where we stand at that point.
Post o' the week. Thank you.

white sox bill
06-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Not to nitpick again, but that would be "ho", not "hoe"
Don't worry about nitpicking, SHE sure didn't:smile: ! It should be "whoe!!:D:
Bill

jabrch
06-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks catching my spelling mistake, but, "not to nitpick", I'm not sure how (or why) you'd hoe a road. You can, however, hoe a row of crops on a farm. The saying goes "tough row to hoe."
Really - you learn something new every day!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/bulls/2003-06-29-williams-boozer_x.htm

I know USA TODAY is not the greated jornalism body to ever exist, but they use Road to Hoe in their headlines. That's a great website you linked to - I am gonna bookmark it!

I thought hoe a road might be from the old days when roads were dirt - and maybe hoeing them would make them level, or easier for horse/buggy to drive on.

GoSox2K3
06-24-2004, 11:06 AM
LOL! We're 2 games out of first on June 24 - the season is over! A fire sale is coming!

Sox fans should be happy about this article. It's a pleasant departure from all the negativity flowing out of the Cubune and the Cub-Times. I was shocked to see that the article actually had a photo of a fans at a full USCF and focused on increased attendance.

I think the Tribune needs to initate a hostile takeover of the Herald to put a stop to such articles!:D:

SSN721
06-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Good article, have to say that I agree with it. I think there has been quite a surge in attendence and it will effect who we can pick up through trades. I know that the last couple weeks have looked bleak, but 90 games left and no idea who else we are going to pick I think it is waaaaaaay too early to throw in the towel. We have learned now that this will be a three team race. Cleveland looks better then I thought they would be definitely. They have three good starters, great lineup, and mediocre bullpen. So they are pretty much the same team as us, thats why I think that a couple trades, one or two guys in the pen and another #1-3 starter and I think that will push up over the top. I think it will be enough to take over the division. I also think that the pitching has to snap out of this funk because we all know the rotation at least is not this bad. I know most will say it is wishful thinking but I definitely see the improvements to the rotation and bullpen coming before the trade deadline. 3 more arms and we take this division.

DaveIsHere
06-24-2004, 11:34 AM
They better get hot and I mean winning at least 5/6 games in a row or I can see another white flag being raised over US Cellular at the all-star break instead of us trading for someone who can help us. After last nights performance I think this team is finished , and yeah I know theres a lot of baseball to be played but you have to think like JR and I don't see this guy letting KW go out and spend more money on the White Sox epecially with his basketball team going into the NBA draft. Past history has shown White Sox fans that JR cares more about the Bulls than the White Sox so all this talk about giving KW a blank check so he can get the White Sox over the top and into the playoffs is in my opinion starting to fade with every White Sox loss. I see the White Sox in 3rd place after today and this weekends series with the scrubs. I hope I'm wrong but it does'nt look like it not from what I've seen these past 3 games with the indians. I think JR is going to ride this out until the all-star break and then you're going to see the White Sox up for sale, so goodbye to Maggs, Valentin, possibly Crede(the Sox drafted a 3rd baseman in the draft),Sandy Alomar Jr.,Rowand,Loaiza,Konerko, and MAYBE EVEN FRANK because I think Frank will want to at least finish his career with a team who has more than a slight chance of getting to the World Series.
We might see an infield of:
Olivo Catcher
Gload 1st base
Harris 2nd base
Uribe SS
Rookie 3rd base
C.Lee LF
Rookie CF
Rookie RF
and the lord only knows what our pitching and relief staff will look like.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
A very promising season has dwindled into Wait Until Next Year.

Two WORDS!!!!

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok my work is done here.