PDA

View Full Version : Caballo's Cadillac pose

Nellie_Fox
06-24-2004, 03:50 AM
I'm a little surprised that there has been so little comment about C. Lee getting thrown out at second after standing at home plate admiring his fly ball that hit the top of the wall.

I'm personally sick to death of players standing at home plate posing, even when it is a real home run. That includes bat flips and Sammie hops.

Back before there were umpires issuing "warnings," they'd have gotten the ball in their ribs the next time they came to the plate if they'd have pulled that crap. C. Lee has been having a really good season, but I don't like it when Griffey Jr. does it, when Barry Bonds does it, when anybody does it.

You hit the ball, you run until it hits the seats, then you can slow down (a little bit) the rest of the way.

hose
06-24-2004, 06:54 AM
I'm a little surprised that there has been so little comment about C. Lee getting thrown out at second after standing at home plate admiring his fly ball that hit the top of the wall.

I'm personally sick to death of players standing at home plate posing, even when it is a real home run. That includes bat flips and Sammie hops.

Back before there were umpires issuing "warnings," they'd have gotten the ball in their ribs the next time they came to the plate if they'd have pulled that crap. C. Lee has been having a really good season, but I don't like it when Griffey Jr. does it, when Barry Bonds does it, when anybody does it.

You hit the ball, you run until it hits the seats, then you can slow down (a little bit) the rest of the way.
Carlos does a pose when he fields a hit while playing left also.....get the baseball back in quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeerHandle
06-24-2004, 08:44 AM

There is no doubt that C.Lee is the worst runner on the Sox! What he pulled last night was Sammy Sosa like it was pathetic!! I was pissed off last night after he pulled that stunt. From my seats it did look like the ball hit the yellow; however, you run until the ump makes the call. HE SHOULD BE BENCHED TODAY!:angry:

Scotty347
06-24-2004, 08:59 AM
From my seats it did look like the ball hit the yellow; however, you run until the ump makes the call. HE SHOULD BE BENCHED TODAY!:angry:
On the broadcast DJ said the yellow stripe at the top of the fence is just decoration and that the ball has to clear the fence to be a home run.

Rocky Soprano
06-24-2004, 09:31 AM
DJ called Carlos on it last night. He said, If Carlos wouldnt of done that, his butt wouldnt of been thrown out at second base and he would be in scoring position.

DaveIsHere
06-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Who know what direction the game may have went if he had been safe at second.

Tekijawa
06-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Who know what direction the game may have went if he had been safe at second.
Yeah I'm Sure Buehrle wouldn't have walked the bases loaded and Mike Jackson would have thrown a better first pitch! They even started playing the Air Sirens for the Home run at the park last night so I don't think that Carlos was the only on who thought it was gone. Yeah TECHNINCALLY he should have continued running until the ump said it was gone but in this da yand age I don't really fault any one

Hangar18
06-24-2004, 10:01 AM
I was going to start a thread on this ........HE SHOULD BE BENCHED FOR ONE GAME FOR NOT THINKING ..........................:angry: :angry: :angry: ran us out of an inning (how many times has he done that to the SOX in his career? about 8 times?)

IlliniSox
06-24-2004, 10:01 AM
The biggest surprise out of all of this was that Frank got home before Lee got tagged out, I envisioned Frank trotting around just like Lee. Either way, Ozzie will see sure that Carlos NEVER pulls a manny ramirez in our uniform.

SaltyPretzel
06-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Yeah TECHNINCALLY he should have continued running until the ump said it was gone but in this da yand age I don't really fault any one

Should this have been in teal? So, in this day and age, there's no need for basic baserunning skills or common sense? :(:

Blob
06-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Yeah, Carlos should have been running all the way last night. But, the ump should have dragged his happy butt out there too last night! I was at the game in left field and neither the second or third base umps moved from the infield dirt!

ND_Sox_Fan
06-24-2004, 10:52 AM
The biggest surprise out of all of this was that Frank got home before Lee got tagged out, I envisioned Frank trotting around just like Lee. Either way, Ozzie will see sure that Carlos NEVER pulls a manny ramirez in our uniform.
That was the first thing I looked for when I saw the left fielder throw the ball back in, and Frank was almost home - I saw him get a great read on the ball off the bat, and he never took it for granted - he was movin'.

TornLabrum
06-24-2004, 11:30 AM
That was the first thing I looked for when I saw the left fielder throw the ball back in, and Frank was almost home - I saw him get a great read on the ball off the bat, and he never took it for granted - he was movin'.
I have it on pretty good authority that when he first came to spring training and saw these guys, Ozzie couldn't beileve how fundamentally weak these players were.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Hal:

This has been going on for years. Makes you wonder what Manager Gandhi did during those six weeks of Spring Training.

I was upset by it but then I remembered that Lee twice tried to steal 3rd base with less then two out and the tying run at the plate in 2002 (both times against Cleveland). He was out by ten feet each time.

I remembered the numerous times Lee has been picked off during his White Sox career.

Carlos Lee pure and simple, is a stupid baseball player (notice I'm not saying he is stupid intellectually...). He's what 27 years old?, I can't see how this tendency can ever be corrected.

Lip

TornLabrum
06-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Hal:

This has been going on for years. Makes you wonder what Manager Gandhi did during those six weeks of Spring Training.

I was upset by it but then I remembered that Lee twice tried to steal 3rd base with less then two out and the tying run at the plate in 2002 (both times against Cleveland). He was out by ten feet each time.

I remembered the numerous times Lee has been picked off during his White Sox career.

Carlos Lee pure and simple, is a stupid baseball player (notice I'm not saying he is stupid intellectually...). He's what 27 years old?, I can't see how this tendency can ever be corrected.

Lip
Maybe a suspension and a hefty fine would do wonders.

jabrch
06-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Maybe a suspension and a hefty fine would do wonders.
MLBPA would get in the way. He could be benched - but a suspension and/or fine, I think, is out of the question.

Nellie_Fox
06-24-2004, 08:53 PM
The thing is, this wasn't an episode of bad baserunning, it was an episode of hotdogging. Don't stand at home plate and admire your work, hit the ball and run. Period.

A. Cavatica
06-24-2004, 09:09 PM
I've said it before...Ozzie has to bench him after a bonehead play like this.

Last time, he got away with it.

BainesHOF
06-25-2004, 01:45 AM
I would have benched Lee for two games to send a message to him and the rest of the team. On the subject of hustling, Guillen has been all talk.

TornLabrum
06-25-2004, 08:23 AM
I would have benched Lee for two games to send a message to him and the rest of the team. On the subject of hustling, Guillen has been all talk.
We don't know what was said to Lee in the clubhouse. I hope it made the point.