PDA

View Full Version : Mark Burhrle

gosox3072
06-23-2004, 10:51 PM
This is not a sky is falling/we are terrible thread. But What is going on with our so called ace? Could there be something wrong with him right now, he has had 4 really REALLY bad looking starts in a row. Id say the start today was the best in the past month and he had what 3 homers? This isnt our usual burly-mon.

Could Mark be hiding some sort of injury or is this a little funk that he is in and will get out of in a few weeks (or days hopefully)

OEO Magglio
06-23-2004, 10:52 PM
This is not a sky is falling/we are terrible thread. But What is going on with our so called ace? Could there be something wrong with him right now, he has had 4 really REALLY bad looking starts in a row. Id say the start today was the best in the past month and he had what 3 homers? This isnt our usual burly-mon.

Could Mark be hiding some sort of injury or is this a little funk that he is in and will get out of in a few weeks (or days hopefully)3 out of the last 4 have been awful not 4 in a row. Saying that he doesn't look good right now but I'm positive he'll turn it around. Unfortunately nobody is pitching well right now except shingo and damaso on the whole pitching staff.

gosox3072
06-23-2004, 10:57 PM
I stand corrected, after looking at it again, i see that mark had a good start vs the braves. Still im just not as confident going into a game with Burhrle on the mound as i used to.

samram
06-23-2004, 11:03 PM
He'll come back. When he goes bad, it lasts about three or four starts, but he usually comes back.

Whitesox029
06-23-2004, 11:07 PM

Could Mark be hiding some sort of injury or is this a little funk that he is in and will get out of in a few weeks (or days hopefully)I'm going to play the optimist here and say it's just a funk that all our starters happen to be experiencing at the same time. I'm not worried about the cubs series because their offense just plain sucks and I think our starters should regain some of their confidence against them. All we need to do is foul off pitches until the starters reach their limits and get to their bullpen, which also sucks. I can see the Sox lineup just devouring that pen, especialy with our penchant for late inning comebacks. I can taste it. My mouth is just watering to face Farnsworth and his fastball. That's exactly the kind of pitcher the Sox will kill. Especially Josey.

WSox8404
06-24-2004, 01:18 AM
If we get swept by the flubs, I may jump off a building somewhere. Seriously though. If we don't beat the cubs our momentum will be at an all time low. However if we sweep them, we may go on a tear.

DrCrawdad
06-24-2004, 01:29 AM
If we get swept by the flubs, I may jump off a building somewhere. Seriously though. If we don't beat the cubs our momentum will be at an all time low. However if we sweep them, we may go on a tear.

I sure as (hades) won't dare use the expression, "sweep" in regards to upcoming series with the Cubbies for fear that the ones walking out carrying their brooms high on Sunday could be the bad guys.

I hope simply that the Sox win the series, something they haven't done against lesser opponents lately.

mdep524
06-24-2004, 01:36 AM
I surely think the Sox have several glaring problems, but I don't think Buehrle is one of them. He's had a tough go of it lately, but I think he'll be just fine as July rolls around and finish the season strong.

Win1ForMe
06-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Yeah, Mark's had some tough games lately. I would actually say last night was his worst, as in the Philly and Montreal games he gave up all his runs early and then returned to form for the rest of the game.

Tekijawa
06-24-2004, 11:17 AM
I don't know if you noticed but Mark is a Fly Ball out pitcher... Last night was not a good night to be a fly ball out pitcher. The wind would blow out and in pretty strong through out the night. th 7th inning was the only one that really concerned me.

Soxboyrob
06-24-2004, 11:23 AM
I don't know if you noticed but Mark is a Fly Ball out pitcher... .
He sure didn't used to be. I've always thought of him as a groundball pitcher. In fact, he's been a bit of a strikeout pitcher this year. When Mark's giving up flyballs with regularity, the sky truly is falling.

cbrownson13
06-24-2004, 11:49 AM
The thing with Mark is that he is a control pitcher who depends on working the corners of the plate. When he doesn't have his pin-point control and is catching more of the plate, he is going to get hit a little harder. He has mostly been known as a guy who will make you put the ball in play, but has had success because of his great location. Well, when that isn't on, neither is he.

SoxFan14
06-24-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm going to play the optimist here and say it's just a funk that all our starters happen to be experiencing at the same time. I'm not worried about the cubs series because their offense just plain sucks and I think our starters should regain some of their confidence against them. All we need to do is foul off pitches until the starters reach their limits and get to their bullpen, which also sucks. I can see the Sox lineup just devouring that pen, especialy with our penchant for late inning comebacks. I can taste it. My mouth is just watering to face Farnsworth and his fastball. That's exactly the kind of pitcher the Sox will kill. Especially Josey.

Ummm....are you for real? Have you even been watching the Cubs games lately? Their starting pitching has been fantastic, their bullpen (minus yesterday's game) has been phenomenal and they've been scoring runs. These games against the Cubs will not be easy and if the Sox continue playing the way they have, we will get annihilated by them. I wouldn't be surprised is the Sox lost 5 out of the 6 games against them. I sure I'm wrong, though.

WhteSox725
06-24-2004, 02:25 PM

Could Mark be hiding some sort of injury or is this a little funk that he is in and will get out of in a few weeks (or days hopefully)
Ask Hawk and he'll tell you that our pitchers aren't concentrating right now. Instead of going through a dead arm period they are going through a dead brain period. Apparently working once or twice a week is too much for pitchers to handle in the middle of the season.

PaulDrake
06-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Just look at MB's numbers the last two years and compare them to the first two. There is a definite drop off. I was hopeful coming into this year because I thought he had reversed a gradual decline by virtue of his strong second half of 03. 122 hits in 104+ innings this year so far is way too much. The consistency is not there. I'm more than a little worried about Mark. He and Loaiza have to return to form for the Sox to be respectable, let alone make the playoffs. Garland is a back of the rotation guy and Schoenweiss has yet to convince me that he can hold his weight over the course of a long season. So far we don't even have a number 5 who is better than the batting practice pitcher. Before I get ripped, take a good hard look at everyones numbers. For those of you in the Chicago area, you have the added advantage of seeing more of this up close and personal. I have to depend on WGN and the occasional ESPN game.

Mohoney
06-24-2004, 06:47 PM
He'll come back. When he goes bad, it lasts about three or four starts, but he usually comes back.

Maybe this is overly optimistic, but I'm hoping that Buehrle and Schoenweis' problems are just a "dead arm" period and nothing more.

As for Loaiza, he looked great against Florida and looked even better the first few innings against Cleveland. The one big inning killed him. I look forward to him rebounding, learning from his mistakes, and pitching an absolute gem on Sunday.

As for the bullpen, everybody down there throws an inordinate amount of fastballs. It's almost as if nobody has confidence in their offspeed stuff anymore (Shingo being the obvious exception). Jackson is overworked, Cotts belongs in AAA, Politte doesn't mix in his other pitches enough and therefore causes them to lose their crispness, Adkins must be hurt a little worse than we were initially led to believe, and Darensbourg seems like a reaching-at-straws type of move.

Hopefully Magglio plays Friday and gives this team a much-needed boost. If he says he's ready, then play him. With free agency (and big money) looming at season's end, he wouldn't lie about being ready and risk making things worse.