PDA

View Full Version : TINO MARTINEZ over Frank!?!

HomerCoach
06-23-2004, 07:21 PM
All-Star Options (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040623&content_id=778020&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp)

Giambi is a given, but how is it even a question as to who SHOULD be the secong man chosen?

Martinez is hitting .282 12 HR 37 RBI
Palmeiro .256/10/40 (5th in voting)
Thomas .296/18/47 (3rd in voting)
Ortiz .297/16/65 (not top 5 in voting)

The only guy that can challenge Thomas' numbers is Ortiz. I know I'm going to be hot when the team is announced (David Ortiz). We've got to do what we can to send Torre a message. VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

idseer
06-23-2004, 07:29 PM
All-Star Options (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040623&content_id=778020&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp)

Giambi is a given, but how is it even a question as to who SHOULD be the secong man chosen?

Martinez is hitting .282 12 HR 37 RBI
Palmeiro .256/10/40
Thomas .296/18/47
Ortiz .297/16/65

The only guy that can challenge Thomas' numbers is Ortiz. I know I'm going to be hot when the team is announced (David Ortiz). We've got to do what we can to send Torre a message. VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!
you ask how it is even a question as to who should be chosen and i ASSUME you mean thomas without question. then, you show stats indicating clearly that ortiz is the superior choice.

if i were an ortiz fan i'd suggest you were a homer.

HomerCoach
06-23-2004, 07:36 PM
you ask how it is even a question as to who should be chosen and i ASSUME you mean thomas without question. then, you show stats indicating clearly that ortiz is the superior choice.

I prefer "Idiot".:kukoo: I realized how stupid that was after i posted it:nuts:, we just have to BURY Ortiz in the number of votes received.

JRIG
06-23-2004, 07:52 PM

Would that be the .001 of average that gives Ortiz the advantage? I'm assuming you're referring to the 18 run lead in RBI. Fair enough. Ortiz has him beat there.

But what about Thomas' 65 point lead in slugging percentage? Or his 111 point lead in OBP?

I believe those figures make Thomas the clearly superior choice.

OurBitchinMinny
06-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Ortiz is a more productive player than thomas at this point, but thomas and ortiz deserve to go. Giambi does not, but he will start because he is a yankee

idseer
06-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Would that be the .001 of average that gives Ortiz the advantage? I'm assuming you're referring to the 18 run lead in RBI. Fair enough. Ortiz has him beat there.

But what about Thomas' 65 point lead in slugging percentage? Or his 111 point lead in OBP?

I believe those figures make Thomas the clearly superior choice.
my comment was based on the figures he included only.

besides, i'll take actual production over obp or slugging percentages.

JRIG
06-23-2004, 08:06 PM
my comment was based on the figures he included only.

besides, i'll take actual production over obp or slugging percentages.
OK, what about the actual production of Ortiz scoring only 34 runs compared to Frank's 47?

Or the fact that Ortiz has had 147 at bats with runners on and 83 with runners in scoring position, compared to 98 and 59 for Frank. Which, of course, would mean Ortiz has had a lot more chances to get those RBIs than Frank has.

idseer
06-23-2004, 08:11 PM
OK, what about the actual production of Ortiz scoring only 34 runs compared to Frank's 47?

Or the fact that Ortiz has had 147 at bats with runners on and 83 with runners in scoring position, compared to 98 and 59 for Frank. Which, of course, would mean Ortiz has had a lot more chances to get those RBIs than Frank has.
runs are dependent on others driving you in for one thing, but even WITH those ortiz is ahead.

and frank is as likely to walk with a man in scoring position as not. if he'd swing the bat more maybe he'd have better production i.e. rbi's & runs. :smile:

JRIG
06-23-2004, 08:15 PM
runs are dependent on others driving you in for one thing, but even WITH those ortiz is ahead.

and frank is as likely to walk with a man in scoring position as not. if he'd swing the bat more maybe he'd have better production i.e. rbi's & runs. :smile:
I'm not sure how you can discount runs because it's dependant "on others driving you in" but elevate RBI as a very important stat....even though it is completely dependant on others getting on base first.

And again, I would argue the percentage stats are far more important than RBI and runs. But that's OK. I think if we continue this we'll simply be spinning 'round in circles. :smile:

idseer
06-23-2004, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure how you can discount runs because it's dependant "on others driving you in" but elevate RBI as a very important stat....even though it is completely dependant on others getting on base first.

And again, I would argue the percentage stats are far more important than RBI and runs. But that's OK. I think if we continue this we'll simply be spinning 'round in circles. :smile:
yeah but think what good exercise that is! :D:

SoxFan76
06-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Frank walks a lot more, harder to drive in runs when you get walked. But he scores more runs than Ortiz.

idseer
06-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Frank walks a lot more, harder to drive in runs when you get walked. But he scores more runs than Ortiz.
i simply agree with chisoxfaninminny.

HomeFish
06-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Don't laugh at Tino's chances. The Devil Rays are going to have to send somebody.

HomerCoach
06-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks for helping me out Frank 0-5

row18
06-23-2004, 10:58 PM
I was at today's game and picked up 50 ballots all for Frank, I'm doing my part.
(my logic is if he has the 2nd most votes, along with solid numbers, Torre can't pass on him.)