PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard Races?

HebrewHammer
06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
I was at the game last night and I was wondering, why do these get such a big cheer? Honestly who cares if the blue plane beats the pepporini pizza and the goofy green frog? Do people put money on these things? It's not just kids that cheer for these things, its everyone, I saw a grown man jumping up and down and cheering for one of these. Is it really that great and I just miss the point? Personally I'd rather have the video packages between innings, I could watch the Run DMC video all day long. Actually what I'd really like to see is everyone just watching the game and putting an end to these stupid races, except for the bobblehead race, I could always watch three bobblehead dolls chasing each other around a diamond and then getting to see the winner's victory dance, much like Affleck in "Phantoms" that race is the bomb.

mcfish
06-23-2004, 01:06 PM
I have indeed put money on the pizza race.

Damn that Sausage! :angry:

Blob
06-23-2004, 01:10 PM
If as many people cheer for the team as they do for the stupid races, the park would be deafening!

It's really about keeping kids and people interested during the game. Funny how you would think the GAME should be interesting enough.

More bloopers and highlights are what I would like to see!!

Blob
06-23-2004, 01:10 PM

How come they make the sausage one look retarded?

Kilroy
06-23-2004, 01:12 PM

Hell, we bet on everything. We have a pick to click, and a backup pick to click. $2 and $1 bets respectively. We bet $2 on all the races, and the hat trick too. That's why I'm cheering for the frogs, pizzas, and planes.

StillMissOzzie
06-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Yes, it is THAT important! My son always takes pepperoni, my daughter always takes cheese, and I am always left with sausage. This is for family bragging rights, you know.
:rolleyes:

My son even keeps track of how many of the scoreboard games everyone wins. Between the pizzas, frogs, jet planes, ATM users (still doing that one this year?), it becomes a heated competition. At least the hat trick game is one of skill and paying attention vs. a random guess.

SMO
:gulp:

kittle42
06-23-2004, 02:38 PM
How come they make the sausage one look retarded?
Sausage is not retarded. Cheese is. Pepperoni is on speed. Sausage is an alcoholic.

mcfish
06-23-2004, 02:39 PM
The new Pinwheel race they had on Monday was pretty cool - I hope they keep that going this year.

Tekijawa
06-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Sausage is not retarded. Cheese is. Pepperoni is on speed. Sausage is an alcoholic.
I always thought that the Sausage was stoned? I guess he would have eaten himself then.... Never mind!

Railsplitter
06-25-2004, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't mind the scoreboard races if , say, anybody who had a ticket with the winning color on it got a prize.

munchman33
06-25-2004, 10:19 AM
These races are a good break from the intensity of the game, while keeping in the spirit of competition. I welcome them.

And I can't help but laugh when girls scream out SAUSAGE!

Iwritecode
06-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Actually what I'd really like to see is everyone just watching the game and putting an end to these stupid races,

They don't show them during the game.

Honestly, what's more fun, watching a stupid little minute and a half race on the screen or watching the pitcher take his warmup pitches and the groundscrew come out and drag the field?

Shoeless Joe
06-25-2004, 12:35 PM
I always thought that the Sausage was stoned? I guess he would have eaten himself then.... Never mind!
Exactly, I've always thought the same thing. He has to appeal to the stoned demographic that visits the ballpark. Besides Pepperoni seems to be a little to happy to be cheered on by me.

Another reason why these races go on, it gives you a reason to forget the horrible play of the White Sox at times. One thing I still hate is the Cheer-O-Meter, let us cheer on our own damn it!:bandance:

VenturaSoxFan23
07-01-2004, 11:44 AM
The Cheer-O-Meter is inaccurate. They must have two guys in there making their own noise to bump that sucker up, a la Harry Doyle and his sidekick in "Major League". ("But I tell ya, these Indians fans are great. Listen to them get behind Vaughn, 'Hey Rick, way to go, we're behind ya baby...' ")

Last time I was at Wrigley Field (in 1997, when they had that enjoyable 14 game losing streak to start the season), they had a number on the back of the ticket for the Florsheim number game. If your number matched the winning selection, you won a free pair of socks. Another game, if your color came up, you got a free bag of M&Ms. How you can tell which M&M is which on that little yellow-and-black message board underneath the centerfield bleachers is beyond me. (My uncle groused the whole night, "The Cubs are losing and I can't even win a free G** damn bag of socks.") You're telling me that wouldn't get fan interest up if "The Cell" cheers a pepperoni to win so they can get a free slice of pizza?

I hope to God they dropped that "Find The Ball Under The Hat" game. That was lame, and it cheats, too.

StillMissOzzie
07-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I hope to God they dropped that "Find The Ball Under The Hat" game. That was lame, and it cheats, too.
:hawk
"Your WHAT hurts?"

The Critic
07-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Nope, they still have that dirty rotten cheatin' game!!
Saw it at the game on 6/24 - my daughter loves that game, and gets it right every time!
Maybe I should have her count cards for me in Vegas....hmmm......

StillMissOzzie
07-01-2004, 02:35 PM
The new Pinwheel race they had on Monday was pretty cool - I hope they keep that going this year.
Yeah, this was a little different and more fun. They actually DO "race" around the entire park, using those two video ribbon screens, instead of just the big screen.

SMO
:gulp:

Realist
07-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Red frog for a buck.

I was at a game last year where my pizza, my frog, my bobble head guy, and my plane all won while the Sox got their hats handed to them. It helped ease the pain a little bit.

For me, a White Sox victory along with a triumphant red frog makes for a perfect day at the park.

:smokin:

Palehose13
07-01-2004, 06:52 PM
I'm too busy either getting a beer or peeing. :?:

SomebodyToldMe
07-01-2004, 07:47 PM
hey now, i love the races...so far in the three games i've been to this season, i've won every single race...

except for the plane one...that thing's rigged!