PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding a record

Moses_Scurry
06-23-2004, 12:57 PM
This may be a dumb question (or at least extremely premature), but here it goes ...

Orel Hershiser currently holds the record for most consecutive scoreless innings, which he took from Don Drysdale. Is that for starters only? Or, do relievers count too?

Hypothetically, if Shingo went the rest of the year without giving up a run and pitched enough consecutive innings, will he break the record?

Is there a separate record for relievers?

MRKARNO
06-23-2004, 03:32 PM
This may be a dumb question (or at least extremely premature), but here it goes ...

Orel Hershiser currently holds the record for most consecutive scoreless innings, which he took from Don Drysdale. Is that for starters only? Or, do relievers count too?

Hypothetically, if Shingo went the rest of the year without giving up a run and pitched enough consecutive innings, will he break the record?

Is there a separate record for relievers?
I'm pretty sure that the record disregards whether or not the pitcher is a starter or a reliever, so I think the answer is yes. His current streak is pretty damn good though and I think it's just too tough for him to go much longer. He's not even halfway to Hershiser I believe.

Railsplitter
06-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Good question, Moses. But what about Gagne?

MRKARNO
06-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Good question, Moses. But what about Gagne?
Gagne's streak involves not blowing a save. Gagne has indeed given up runs during the streak, it's just that those runs never caused the Dodgers to lose their lead.