PDA

View Full Version : new beer policy

BainesHOF
06-23-2004, 12:55 PM
There appears to be a new beer policy in place in the bleachers on half-price nights. I was at Tuesday's game and there were no beer vendors in the bleachers. Additionally, when you went to the stands on the concourse, you were only allowed to buy one.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I can understand trying to curb the drunk incidents that go way up on half-price nights. On the other hand, it's weird that if you have a bleacher ticket that you can't buy a beer without having to leave your seat and miss part of the game, while those sitting in more expensive seats can buy from a vendor. Also, if you make the trip up to a beer stand, it's sort of silly that you can't at least buy another beer for the person you're with to save him or her a trip. Plus, since no beer vendors were allowed in the bleachers, the lines at the beer stands were unusually long in the concourse. At the very least, I think you should be able to buy two beers at a stand. I talked with a security guard who thought the new policy was a little over the top. He said there wouldn't be so many problems if the vendors used better judgement in who they served, namely people who were obliterated already. I agree with him, but also understand that it would put vendors in a difficult position of making countless judgement calls throughout the night. However, the vendors might prefer that rather than have to share what it now a smaller selling area. I'm not sure how much the new policy even worked Tuesday. There were no fights, so I guess that might have been an improvement, but there were plenty of people still wasted, though people in general seemed to be more in line of being good drunks. It was amazing the number of drunk college girls who were in attendance. That was the best part of the game.

Blob
06-23-2004, 01:04 PM
This has been in effect for a few 1/2 price games now and there has not been one incident to my knowledge. I think its a good idea.

They need to do whatever it takes to keep the BAD media away from the park. Since that seems to be the ONLY media coverage we get!

Tekijawa
06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
How about they just don't let Drunk Morons wearing Cubs Jersey and We've got Wood shirts into the Stadium on Tuesdays? I think that this would be equally as effective!

Blob
06-23-2004, 01:10 PM
How about they just don't let Drunk Morons wearing Cubs Jersey and We've got Wood shirts into the Stadium on Tuesdays? I think that this would be equally as effective!
That would be better!

steff
06-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Been in effect for 2 weeks now. Looks to be working out fine from what I can see.. :D:

harwar
06-23-2004, 01:14 PM
This has been in effect for a few 1/2 price game now and there has not been one incident to my knowledge. I think its a good idea.

They need to do whatever it takes to keep the BAD media away from the park. Since that seems to be the ONLY media coverage we get!
I couldn't agree more.
Whatever it takes.
With the cub games coming up we don't want anymore incidents.

steff
06-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I couldn't agree more.
Whatever it takes.
With the cub games coming up we don't want anymore incidents.
It'll happen this weekend. One way to avoid it is to revoke entry into the park for people who are obviously ****faced from being in the lots tailgating. Won't happen.. but that would cut down on a lot of the problems that occur during this series.

Blob
06-23-2004, 02:14 PM
It'll happen this weekend. One way to avoid it is to revoke entry into the park for people who are obviously ****faced from being in the lots tailgating. Won't happen.. but that would cut down on a lot of the problems that occur during this series.
I agree! There are going to be some this weekend, last year it got brutal!!

We need a little less of this :gulp: and a whole bunch more of this :bandance: and send the Scrub fans home :whiner: !!!

mantis1212
06-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Been in effect for 2 weeks now. Looks to be working out fine from what I can see.. :D:
The beer vendor I talked to last night said it only for Tuesdays, not Mondays- I thought that was a little strange

npdempse
06-23-2004, 02:41 PM
The beer vendor I talked to last night said it only for Tuesdays, not Mondays- I thought that was a little strange
Strange, but true. The vendors were out there on Monday. I assume it's based on the number of people security has had to deal with on Tuesdays; for whatever reason it hasn't been as bad on Mondays. Actually, this Monday had a great crowd--even though it was huge, I didn't see a single fight, nor any loudmouth drunks really (except the everpresent "THROWITBACK" morons).

steff
06-23-2004, 04:35 PM

Yea.. Monday's & Tuesday's for the past 2 weeks.

Mickster
06-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Yea.. Monday's & Tuesday's for the past 2 weeks.
This past monday was our first Monday home game all year....:yoohoo:

steff
06-23-2004, 05:04 PM
This past monday was our first Monday home game all year....:yoohoo:

Yea..

I'm referring to the Monday following the Saturday the article with the new beer sale policy was made public, which was 2 weeks ago. :tongue:

Blueprint1
06-23-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm going to be in the bleachers on July 4th at Wrigley. I hope that someone doesn't try to hurt me there. Last year some guy in the skybox wanted to punch me at Wrigley. I think i might keep my mouth shut this year. Not that I said anything bad last year i just corrected a cub fans statements.

ewokpelts
06-24-2004, 10:10 AM
I'm going to be in the bleachers on July 4th at Wrigley. I hope that someone doesn't try to hurt me there. Last year some guy in the skybox wanted to punch me at Wrigley. I think i might keep my mouth shut this year. Not that I said anything bad last year i just corrected a cub fans statements.dont be afraid to call them out.
Gene

zach23
06-24-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm going to be in the bleachers on July 4th at Wrigley. I hope that someone doesn't try to hurt me there. Last year some guy in the skybox wanted to punch me at Wrigley. I think i might keep my mouth shut this year. Not that I said anything bad last year i just corrected a cub fans statements.

That might be very ugly up there on the 4th. A night Sox/cubs game up there with that place already overcrowded and insane. Plus most people will have Monday off and can drink even more. The cops are already going to be pretty busy with the taste of Chicago and all the usual idiocy that happens on the 4th.

scottyl
06-24-2004, 08:30 PM
I applaud the new beer policy. The Sox had to--and did--take action. Reoccuring fights would give us a black eye, no matter how few are actually fighting. We have enough fallacies to battle (like the Cell being too dangerous to go to). We don't need drunks soiling our reputation.

hsnterprize
06-24-2004, 10:38 PM
I applaud the new beer policy. The Sox had to--and did--take action. Reoccuring fights would give us a black eye, no matter how few are actually fighting. We have enough fallacies to battle (like the Cell being too dangerous to go to). We don't need drunks soiling our reputation.I had posted the first time we've learned of the new policy that this was a matter of protecting and improving on an already bruised reputation at our ballpark. Remember, even though we're hardcore about seeing our Sox, the media and other naysayers often tout the negatives about U.S. Cellular Field to the casual fans, and thus, the attendance stays low. Now, we all know a large portion of the fight-starters in the bleachers on Mondays and Tuesdays are Flub fans looking for a cheap thrill and trouble. However, if a fight got onto ESPN, we're screwed as far as trying to convince an unknowing public the root of our situation. Unless the commentators themselves explain the Cubs/Sox rivalry, most of the national audience won't know, and not a lot of them will come to this site to find out the truth.

This is a good policy, and the Sox should keep it up. Granted, the good people who'd like to get a beer will have to work extra hard to get it, but in the "big picture", this is helping keep some of the trouble down.

Now if there were only a way to keep the Cubs fans out...oh well...you can't win 'em all.