PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Partnership tries to woo MLB to Virginia

Baby Fisk
06-23-2004, 10:53 AM
The Virginia Baseball Stadium Authority has launched a website with information on proposed stadium location, financing and some architectural scribbles in its effort to land the Expos. The financing stuff might interest some of you.

LINK:
http://new.baseballinva.org/content/en/main.htm

DaveIsHere
06-23-2004, 12:57 PM
The Virginia Baseball Stadium Authority has launched a website with information on proposed stadium location, financing and some architectural scribbles in its effort to land the Expos. The financing stuff might interest some of you.

LINK:
http://new.baseballinva.org/content/en/main.htm
That sketch of the park looks pretty damn sweet, and I think the Expos would be a good fit there.

HomeFish
06-23-2004, 01:01 PM
I don't know, the Upper Deck on that stadium looks awfully steep...

Tekijawa
06-23-2004, 01:31 PM
They wouldn't be the Virginia Expo's would they?

Baby Fisk
06-23-2004, 01:35 PM
They wouldn't be the Virginia Expo's would they?That would be as stupid as the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 01:37 PM
i hope the norfolk area gets them. if they played the sox again for interleage play i would have a chance to go to six sox games a year. plus when they play the cubs, i could get to heckle. life would be good.

www.mlbnorfolk.com (http://www.mlbnorfolk.com/)

http://www.mlbnorfolk.com/news/6-17-04FRED.html

i don't like the name steamers tho

http://www.mlbnorfolk.com/news/6-8-04po.html
it will be a navy themed team.

HomeFish
06-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Norfolk has by far the best plan for the team.

I generally do not like teams located in rural areas, since these are somewhat annoying for me to get to, but having that Navy-themed stadium would be more than worth it.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Norfolk has by far the best plan for the team.

I generally do not like teams located in rural areas, since these are somewhat annoying for me to get to, but having that Navy-themed stadium would be more than worth it.

well the only other city that i could see geting them would be portland. does vegas have any residents there? the amount of tourists has to be triple the residents there. i don't even know how they made the cuts this far.

i think the exploding guns would be cool for a homer but i can't get over the 'steamers'. the other teams around here are the tides (mets AAA) the admirals (blackhawks minors) and.... well i guess that is it for here. anything has to be better than the expos.

Hondo
06-23-2004, 03:17 PM
well the only other city that i could see geting them would be portland. does vegas have any residents there? the amount of tourists has to be triple the residents there. i don't even know how they made the cuts this far.

i think the exploding guns would be cool for a homer but i can't get over the 'steamers'. the other teams around here are the tides (mets AAA) the admirals (blackhawks minors) and.... well i guess that is it for here. anything has to be better than the expos.
If any team is going to be named the steamers it better be from cleveland.:cool:

Lip Man 1
06-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Outside The Lines last night or the evening before had a show on the future of the Expos. According to the show vegas made a dynamic presentation at the owners meetings. Bud Selig was on and he said they were very impressive and are being given serious consideration.

For my money it's Washington D.C.

Lip

SOXintheBURGH
06-23-2004, 04:23 PM
If any team is going to be named the steamers it better be from cleveland.:cool:
ha HA!

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Outside The Lines last night or the evening before had a show on the future of the Expos. According to the show vegas made a dynamic presentation at the owners meetings. Bud Selig was on and he said they were very impressive and are being given serious consideration.

For my money it's Washington D.C.

Lipdo you mean you want d.c. or you think it will be d.c.? i hope that it is not personally, personal gain aside. why would a team work there now? and if it did work now, how come it couldn't in the past?

did outside the lines have any details on what las vegas presented to bud?
if i remember right, the norfolk area blew away some people too because the number of luxery boxes sold was above the excpected number. i read that they had more than 50% chance of getting the team. i wish i could find where i read that at.

doublem23
06-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Vegas would make no sense divisionally, as either they or Arizona would probably have to move to the Central; or you could make the Central have 5 teams and NL West have 6... Washington/Virginia area just makes more sense.

East: Braves, Phillies, Mets, Marlins, Pirates
Central: Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, Astros, Reds
West: Las Vegas, Diamondbacks, Giants, Padres, Rockies, Dodgers

?

TomC727
06-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Vegas would make no sense divisionally, as either they or Arizona would probably have to move to the Central; or you could make the Central have 5 teams and NL West have 6... Washington/Virginia area just makes more sense.

East: Braves, Phillies, Mets, Marlins, Pirates
Central: Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers, Astros, Reds
West: Las Vegas, Diamondbacks, Giants, Padres, Rockies, Dodgers

?
Here is a thought. If Vegas was chosen to be the new home of the Expos, move the Expos to the Amercan League and then Move an NL central team to the NL east. This will balance out the 4 teams in the AL West and 6 teams in the NL Central.

doublem23
06-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Then you'd have 15 teams in each league, which would completely muck the schedule; you'd need to have year-round Interleague. If you want to do that, just realign all the divisions to have more geographic rivalries.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 05:45 PM
i have a stupid question. why are the divisions east, central and west not north, central and south? is there a reason that the baseball founders did it a certain way?

Jerry_Manuel
06-23-2004, 05:53 PM
i have a stupid question. why are the divisions east, central and west not north, central and south? is there a reason that the baseball founders did it a certain way?
I don't know how the whole thing started. For years it was East and West. Before that I don't know what they called it if anything, becuase you didn't have a playoff, just the AL winner vs the NL winner.

HomeFish
06-23-2004, 06:07 PM
I hear they are cautious on Las Vegas because of the proximity to gambling.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 06:09 PM
I hear they are cautious on Las Vegas because of the proximity to gambling.
it would be a good time for charly hussle to be reinstated. the new manager...

SOXintheBURGH
06-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Here is a thought. If Vegas was chosen to be the new home of the Expos, move the Expos to the Amercan League and then Move an NL central team to the NL east. This will balance out the 4 teams in the AL West and 6 teams in the NL Central.
Pirates have to move to the NL East.. makes no sense to have a team in the Eastern Time Zone in a 6 team division all in the Central Time Zone. Plus they have a geographical rivalry with Philly, although Pittsburgh's most hated city is Cleveland.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2004, 07:15 PM
D.C. failed because they had the same handicaps as the Sox...poor ownership throughout their history.

The Griffith family may have been the cheapest owners in baseball history and Bob Short had zero baseball sense when he took over, as well as him not be willing to spend anything. Part of that may have been deliberate... as a multimillion dollar media owner from Dallas he may have been looking to move the club there from the get go.

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 07:18 PM
D.C. failed because they had the same handicaps as the Sox...poor ownership throughout their history.

The Griffith family may have been the cheapest owners in baseball history and Bob Short had zero baseball sense when he took over, as well as him not be willing to spend anything. Part of that may have been deliberate... as a multimillion dollar media owner from Dallas he may have been looking to move the club there from the get go.

Lip
thanks. you know what they say, you learn something (from lip's posts) every day.

i wonder if there is a comparrision to the rangers-then and the expos-now. milwalkee allready has a team so how would selig (the owner) get the most out of this move?