PDA

View Full Version : Is DJ a jinx?

Mickster
06-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Has anyone noticed that DJ is a jinx while broadcasting games? Mentioned Garland's NO-NO in Montreal and Garland immediately gives up a hit. Mentions no-hitter for Loaiza last night and E-LO immediately gets lit up. To cap it off, was discussing Shingo's 29 consecutive batter retired streak last night 10 seconds before he gives up a single and a walk.

Somebody has to tell this clown to shut it.

bennyw41
06-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Has anyone noticed that DJ is a jinx while broadcasting games? Mentioned Garland's NO-NO in Montreal and Garland immediately gives up a hit. Mentions no-hitter for Loaiza last night and E-LO immediately gets lit up. To cap it off, was discussing Shingo's 29 consecutive batter retired streak last night 10 seconds before he gives up a single and a walk.

You got to be kidding....

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2004, 10:01 AM

Hmmm...very interesting.

Maybe you should have made this question into a poll? :?:

harwar
06-23-2004, 10:19 AM
You know its strange but we noticed this also.
Over the last couple of years there have been times when he would mention that a particular pitcher has a very high era against us and that the White Sox should hit the guy,and the guy throws a 3 hit shutout,or here comes a guy up that isn't hitting and DJ will say,"you know Hawk..this guy hasn't hit a home run is almost 2 years." and Bam..there goes the long ball.
I guess you just never can tell what will happen when you throw something out into the ether and the mass consciousness gets a hold of it.:rolleyes:

SaltyPretzel
06-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Last week against the Marlins, he mentioned how bad Mike Lowell was doing at the plate. He then hit a home run.

bobj4400
06-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Last week against the Marlins, he mentioned how bad Mike Lowell was doing at the plate. He then hit a home run.
While the Sox were in Oakland, he also said that Mark Kotsay still hadnt hit a home run this season. Next pitch was deposited into the seats by Kotsay for a walk-off homer...

Jerko
06-23-2004, 10:31 AM
DJ = Damn Jinx

Lip Man 1
06-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Remember the comment about Mark Kotsey not having hit a home run since last September? Even Hawk gave him some grief on air after that one.

I don't think DJ is a 'jinx,' but what are the odds of him saying something then very quickly after he says it something completely opposite happens? (and this has happened more then once this season...)

If thinking he is a 'jink' will get him out of his position then I'm all for it. Bill Melton would be a much better analyst.

Lip

beckett21
06-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I understand how superstitious players are and all, but this is ludicrous.

If you don't like DJ that's one thing. But to actually blame the results on the field because of his commentary? :kukoo:

Sorry, with all due respect I don't buy it.

npdempse
06-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Gee, and I thought it was the guy in the corner of the bar at Tufano's last night who jinxed the no-no.

What are we, Cubs fans?

Jinxes are fun to joke about, and I'll certainly never be the first to mention a perfecto, but don't go firing people over them.

Dadawg_77
06-23-2004, 10:57 AM

If you don't like DJ that's one thing. But to actually blame the results on the field because of his commentary? :kukoo:

Sorry, with all due respect I don't buy it.
DJ violates Baseball Etiquette to keep his mouth shut too many times.

thepaulbowski
06-23-2004, 11:06 AM
:threadsucks
Blaming the results on the field on what DJ says.....too many people are wearing the tin foil hats these days. :?: DJ had to of caused all of the those things, the players on the field are hanging on this last word. Baseball etiquette is not mentioning the no-hitter, hit streak, etc to guy during the game. His job is to broadcast and talk about the game.....people are starting to sound like other fans who blame "curses."

JGarlandrules20
06-23-2004, 11:07 AM
That's pretty crazy.

I remember him talking about Aaron being such a good outfielder and then right after that Aaron bobbled the ball...

beckett21
06-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Blaming the results on the field on what DJ says.....too many people are wearing the tin foil hats these days. :?: DJ had to of caused all of the those things, the players on the field are hanging on this last word. Baseball etiquette is not mentioning the no-hitter, hit streak, etc to guy during the game. His job is to broadcast and talk about the game.....people are starting to sound like other fans who blame "curses."
Thank you. I was starting to think I was the one that was :nuts:

1951Campbell
06-23-2004, 11:15 AM
:DJ
"Jerry will never sell. There...are ya happy?"

Mickster
06-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Why is it that baseball etiquette is not mentioning the no-hitter, hit streak, etc to guy during the game? is it based on superstition?

Blob
06-23-2004, 11:23 AM
There is no such thing as a jinx...just coincidence

Mickster
06-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Could be......:?:

daveeym
06-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Teal damnit TEAL. Directions follow.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35044&page=1&pp=15

patbooyah
06-23-2004, 11:34 AM
:DJ
"you know... i should stop broadcasting. i'm terrible.""

Blob
06-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Unless you're a Scrub fan, then it's a jinx! :roflmao:

Baby Fisk
06-23-2004, 11:39 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35044&page=1&pp=15]
daveeym, if you happen to be forming any "Cyan Sufferers" or "Up With Teal" vigilante group, I'm in.

Why is it so hard to do this, people?

thepaulbowski
06-23-2004, 11:41 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35044&page=1&pp=15
This doesn't look like teal to me. :redneck

TornLabrum
06-23-2004, 11:57 AM

He's a jinx. Now go consult your astrologer to find out if the Sox will win the pennant this year.

Give me a ****in' break!

steff
06-23-2004, 12:07 PM

Somebody has to tell this clown to shut it.M.. he didn't say anything last night about Loaiza's no-no. Besides, you were outside smoking when he gave up the first hit.. :tongue:

But while you got me on the topic of jinxes.. notice how after you guys left the Sox came back and won.. :rolleyes:

Rocklive99
06-23-2004, 12:09 PM
I have definately noticed it over the years. Every once in a while it can work for us though.

At that one game in Florida:
DJ: Juan Pierre does not strike out a lot. Estaban (or whoever was pitching) will have to get a ground ball or pop up here.
Hawk: He gone.

samram
06-23-2004, 12:15 PM
I don't think it's as much a jinx as DJ doesn't know what he's talking about. He's just wrong as opposed to a bad luck charm. Although, I do remember during Opening Day, he said that he was relieved to see Mendy Lopez bat for Matt Stairs becuase Lopez had much less power and was not a homerun threat- next pitch went about 410 to straight away center to tie the game. Like I said above though, he's just wrong, not a jinx.

patbooyah
06-23-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't think it's as much a jinx as DJ doesn't know what he's talking about. He's just wrong as opposed to a bad luck charm. Although, I do remember during Opening Day, he said that he was relieved to see Mendy Lopez bat for Matt Stairs becuase Lopez had much less power and was not a homerun threat- next pitch went about 410 to straight away center to tie the game. Like I said above though, he's just wrong, not a jinx.

amen. I'm sorry, but i think DJ is terrible. except when he is making fun of himself.

harwar
06-23-2004, 12:24 PM
There is no such thing as a jinx...just coincidenceYour wrong there.
I've been to the caribbean & africa and let me tell you that people take those kind of things EXTREMELY seriously.
Maybe it falls under the catagory of say it..make people believe it..and the believing makes sit so.I don't know.All i can say as that i've seen first hand,curses and jinx actually change peoples lives.

steff
06-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Your wrong there.
I've been to the caribbean & africa and let me tell you that people take those kind of things EXTREMELY seriously.
Maybe it falls under the catagory of say it..make people believe it..and the believing makes sit so.I don't know.All i can say as that i've seen first hand,curses and jinx actually change peoples lives.

Really... can you put me in touch with these people. I know a few folks who need some life altering.. :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Your wrong there.
Maybe it falls under the catagory of say it..make people believe it..and the believing makes sit so.I don't know.All i can say as that i've seen first hand,curses and jinx actually change peoples lives.I find it amazing just how close some of us still are to our ancestors who lived in caves.

zach23
06-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Next time I see DJ at Soxfest I have to remember to have him say that I will never win multi-millions in the lottery.

Uncle_Patrick
06-23-2004, 03:30 PM
If the White Sox fans have to believe in some stupid jinx or curse, couldn't it at least be something better than Darrin Jackson? Can we work a goat or Babe Ruth into this thing?

MRKARNO
06-23-2004, 03:35 PM
DJ Likes to bring up things such as a player is 0 for 3 or a pitcher has gone 5 straight innings without giving up a run. These streaks have a pretty high probability of ending when he says them.

thepaulbowski
06-23-2004, 03:42 PM
I find it amazing just how close some of us still are to our ancestors who lived in caves.
LMAO :roflmao:

Lip Man 1
06-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Blog says: "There is no such thing as a jinx...just coincidence."

Well there is an old saying, 'once is an accident, twice coincidence, three times you've got a trend...'

Lip

TornLabrum
06-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Blog says: "There is no such thing as a jinx...just coincidence."

Well there is an old saying, 'once is an accident, twice coincidence, three times you've got a trend...'

Lip
Except we notice all the times something we're superstitious about happens and choose to ignore the times they don't. Like people dying in 3s. What exactly is the timeframe to be used on that?

FarWestChicago
06-23-2004, 04:08 PM

Sorry, with all due respect I don't buy it.Oh yeah, these guys are definitely http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/nuts.gif

Wow, I guess this New Age crap has really gotten out of hand. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/redneck.gif

FarWestChicago
06-23-2004, 04:11 PM
daveeym, if you happen to be forming any "Cyan Sufferers" or "Up With Teal" vigilante group, I'm in.

Why is it so hard to do this, people?daveeym is the man! He's taken the responsibility to spread the knowledge and stop the egregious use of cyan. :worship:

chisoxfan79
06-23-2004, 05:10 PM

That same game he also mentioned that Garland has not made an error since 2001, an inning later he made an error.:dtroll:

soxwon
06-23-2004, 05:14 PM
There is no such thing as a jinx!
i bet you believe in the easter bunny too lol

Mickster
06-23-2004, 05:19 PM
i bet you believe in the easter bunny too lol:DJ
"Thanks soxwon, may you live to be 100!" :thud:

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 05:22 PM
i bet you believe in the easter bunny too lol
there is too! i myself have to take the blame for at least 2 losses this year for 1. starting an offical gameday thread and 2. premature elating

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Hell, I felt like a jinx yesterday...we're up 8-0, I enter the chatroom, and then all hell breaks loose. :redface:

Maybe I should stay out of the chat tonight, huh? :rolleyes:

But I can't--I love these chats! :D:

Mickster
06-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Soxwon, are you still there? Soxwon? Soxwon? :o:

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Hell, I felt like a jinx yesterday...we're up 8-0, I enter the chatroom, and then all hell breaks loose. :redface:

Maybe I should stay out of the chat tonight, huh? :rolleyes:

But I can't--I love these chats! :D:
you have to sacrafice man, yesterday there was no gameday thread but i did not start one. imagine what would have happend if i did?

soxwon
06-23-2004, 06:09 PM
yes mickster im here, and i believe ill live to 100, im only 48 now.

i dont believe in jinxs, just my opinion.

hope everyone here lives that long- we should have atleat 5 series wins by then.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 06:11 PM
hope everyone here lives that long- we should have atleat 5 series wins by then. them fighting words