PDA

View Full Version : Cotts and the Pen

joeynach
06-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Well after being at the game last night everyone i was there with would like to see cotts sent down. He is a semi effective reliever at this point but we all agreed he could benefit tremendously from maybe finishing the season in AAA. He really needs another pitch in his arsenal because his fastball/ slider combo is just too straight foward and easy to figure out. I mean he also has a change, but its rather ineffective. He needs another pitch, like a cutter or spltter or curve or something to mix in. His velocity is good, but he just seems about 1 more minor league season away from being there, he is just awful in pressure situations. I do beleive the enitre bullpen needs to be re-assessed. After this past week the only guys that seems to be able to get consisten outs are SHingo and Marte. Cotts/Politte/Jackson just dont like they have good enough stuff or command to get the job done when it counts. They have flat fastballs, tend to walk batters, not enough velocity, not enough pitches in arsenal, to predictable. Combine it all and you get a pretty lousy bullpen. If our Management doesn't bolster what we have out there pretty soon i predict our pen will look like clevelands. We need some better arms Kenny, plain and simple. I want sullivan and gordon back, or something of the sort.

Baby Fisk
06-23-2004, 09:02 AM
I agree joeynach. If Cotts had given up any more runs -- enough to put the game out of reach for the Sox -- I can only imagine how ugly WSI would look this morning.

:manos
"As ugly as Jose Jimenez's face after his first pitch to me last night?"

SEALgep
06-23-2004, 09:12 AM
He definitely hasn't looked like he did very early on in the season. It seems every time he pitches 2 innings, he's giving up at least one homerun. I still think he can be a good pitcher, but right now, he looks overmatched.

Jerko
06-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Every time I see Cotts (aka Kyle Farnsworth's mini-me), I wonder why KW is not in the bullpen. Not KW the GM who is more concerned with pulling rank on people that he is "mad" at, but KW the left-handed relief pitcher who was the best in the league at getting lefties out last year or whenever. I think that 2 run bomb that Cotts gave up WAS to a lefty? I'm not saying Wuncsch is a savior, but I doubt HE would given up that homer. But I forget, he was a bad boy so he's been assigned a time-out down in Charlotte.

SEALgep
06-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Every time I see Cotts (aka Kyle Farnsworth's mini-me), I wonder why KW is not in the bullpen. Not KW the GM who is more concerned with pulling rank on people that he is "mad" at, but KW the left-handed relief pitcher who was the best in the league at getting lefties out last year or whenever. I think that 2 run bomb that Cotts gave up WAS to a lefty? I'm not saying Wuncsch is a savior, but I doubt HE would given up that homer. But I forget, he was a bad boy so he's been assigned a time-out down in Charlotte.It was to Coco Crisp who is a switch hitter, and KW is on the AAA disabled list.

manuelsucks
06-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Every time I see Cotts (aka Kyle Farnsworth's mini-me), I wonder why KW is not in the bullpen. Not KW the GM who is more concerned with pulling rank on people that he is "mad" at, but KW the left-handed relief pitcher who was the best in the league at getting lefties out last year or whenever. I think that 2 run bomb that Cotts gave up WAS to a lefty? I'm not saying Wuncsch is a savior, but I doubt HE would given up that homer. But I forget, he was a bad boy so he's been assigned a time-out down in Charlotte.
Good point. I forgot about Wuncsch. Whats the status on him anyway?

Unregistered
06-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Good point. I forgot about Wuncsch. Whats the status on him anyway?I thought he was on the DL :?:

Jerko
06-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Admittedly, I can't keep up with Wunsch's health status; but I think Lawton hit that homer vs. Cotts. Crisp hit his against Marte. Back to Wunsch, even when he was here he admitted he was "gone" so even if he's hurt now I still think Williams was yanking his chain all year.

joeynach
06-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Admittedly, I can't keep up with Wunsch's health status; but I think Lawton hit that homer vs. Cotts. Crisp hit his against Marte. Back to Wunsch, even when he was here he admitted he was "gone" so even if he's hurt now I still think Williams was yanking his chain all year.
What exactly did Kelly Wunsch do or say to be in Kennys doghouse. Is this a personal matter or something. Why isn't kelly up here or at least mentioned as someone that Ozzie or Kenny wants in the pen to get lefties out. Oh he is the teams union rep, but that had anything to do with this that would be just down right childish. Well it is Mr. Reinsdorf so throw all logic out the window.

Jerko
06-23-2004, 09:54 AM
What exactly did Kelly Wunsch do or say to be in Kennys doghouse. Is this a personal matter or something. Why isn't kelly up here or at least mentioned as someone that Ozzie or Kenny wants in the pen to get lefties out. Oh he is the teams union rep, but that had anything to do with this that would be just down right childish. Well it is Mr. Reinsdorf so throw all logic out the window.
I don't know the exact conversation, but I heard on the radio (not that that is anything to brag about) that Wunch is not on the team cause he "pissed somebody off" and the co-host "confirmed" it was Williams. Of course nobody would go into any details but I've heard that more than once now. He IS on the DL now, but the Sox can use him IF he ever gets healthy.

harwar
06-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I want sullivan and gordon back, or something of the sort.
Sullivan is doing a good job for the royals and i don't see why we couldn't get him back,although i don't know why they didn't keep a guy like that in the first place.
Gordon is the one guy that i was hoping they would keep,even over colon(who pitched great last night against oakland).Boston isn't going to give up what we so stupidly gave away.
The sad truth is that EVERYONE is looking for pitching help and right now we're stuck with what we've got,unless KW is willing to overpay.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Cotts did give up his two run home run against Matt Lawton.

Lip

beckett21
06-23-2004, 10:43 AM
I thought he was on the DL :?:
It's just a smokescreen, can't you see that?

:?: Or maybe he is JUST NOT HEALTHY?:?:

:KW

"Nope, it's my foolish pride at work. Team be damned, Wunsch will never pitch again in a White Sox uniform. Just like Jon Rauch. "

*bangs head on wall*

harwar
06-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Cotts did give up his two run home run against Matt Lawton.

LipYea,the guy stood there like he was playing living statues and watched it fly out of the park.
In the old days,not too long ago,he would have been knocked on his ass in his next at bat.
But i guess you really can't do that when your fighting for your life and every baserunner is huge.

hawkjt
06-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Wunch has not been healthy the last two years. He reportedly does not condition very hard in the off-season. bottom line is that you can not count on him to go out there for 3 months in a row. They do need help.

leestreak28
06-23-2004, 11:49 AM
i wonder if we should give bejaneru a shot at the ,pen. Of course we all know our system has not delivered pitching help. i dunno.:o:

delben91
06-23-2004, 12:03 PM
i wonder if we should give bejaneru a shot at the ,pen. Of course we all know our system has not delivered pitching help. i dunno.:o:

Hey, welcome aboard.

Bejaneru can't really do much worse than Jackson or Politte, so if they're giving Rauch, Munoz and Diaz shots in the rotation, it can't really hurt to give Bejaneru some time in the bullpen.