A.T. Money
06-22-2004, 11:46 PM
THANK GOD!!!

Tavarin
06-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Jose!

chisoxt
06-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Hawk was right. We had to have this one.

What happened to Loiaza? I missed most of the game.

Scotty347
06-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Hawk was right on the money when he said the Sox must win this game. No matter what.

Jose - Jose - Jose

His trip to Brookfield Zoo today must have put him at ease.

As bad as we've been - we're only 1 game out

inta
Amazing, i would be intensely depressed if we lost that.

Frater Perdurabo
The Sox still have holes to fill, but I will sleep well tonight! :bandance:

Nah, this one deserves the big guy! :supernana:

owensmouth
Another brilliant pitching performance. Manos pulls it out. Shingo puts them down.

Frankfan4life
After coming back from 8 runs down, only to lose, the Tribe has become the Sox. Ha Ha! Kudos to Shingo. Great job!! Great job by all (except E-Lo).

I'm finally smiling again. :D:

SEALgep
I'll take it. 1 Game Out. :bandance:

MRKARNO
06-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Shingo + Jose = Amazing!!!!!!!!

Frankfan4life
THANK GOD!!!Ditto!

MRKARNO
Wait, so now does that mean we're only 9 games out?

Mohoney
What a gutsy 10th inning for Shingo. What a game by Jose.

However, I think I'll still need a few of these to calm my nerves. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

1951Campbell
06-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Climb back off the ledge, folks.

Mohoney
06-22-2004, 11:50 PM
It never should have came to this.

Loaiza turned into Judy Garland after he gave up his first hit in the 5th. After that, all hell broke loose.

More like Jon Garland.

Dadawg_77
06-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Would you consider this a come from behind victory for the Sox?

Frater Perdurabo
What a gutsy 10th inning for Shingo. What a game by Jose.

However, I think I'll still need a few of these to calm my nerves. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
Yeah, my nerves are fried, but at least it's not because of Koch!!!! :supernana:

CubKilla
More like Jon Garland.
Whatever.

voodoochile
Climb back off the ledge, folks.
Thank you Campbell...

I have no idea how people do this 162 games a year. Hang in stay cool. It will all work out...:cool:

voodoochile
06-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Whatever.
:troll

owensmouth
06-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Yeah, my nerves are fried, but at least it's not because of Koch!!!! :supernana:I was getting worried after that tenth inning walk.

JRIG
06-22-2004, 11:53 PM
Tomorrow Cubbune headline...

"Flying Towards First"

...maybe not.

dpbyron
THANK GOD!!!
Amen!

:bandance: :D: :gulp: :dancers: :bandance:

CanOfCorn
What's "phew" in spanish?

voodoochile
06-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Tomorrow Cubbune headline...

"Flying Towards First"

(and sox win too...)

FarWestChicago
Rough night for the FOLIP's. Oh well. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/violin.gif

owensmouth
What's "phew" in Japanese??

MRKARNO
06-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Phew. It's not a word so it's universal.

DSpivack
:WU

:manos

"I just couldn't stand the thought of losing."

FarWestChicago
Phew. It's not a word so it's universal.You might have a point there. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

1951Campbell
06-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Thank you Campbell...

I have no idea how people do this 162 games a year. Hang in stay cool. It will all work out...:cool:
I just remember that it's not football!

Dadawg_77
06-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Turn on ESPN for Outside the Lines, they are doing a show on the Red Book, copy of injuries in baseball.

As for tonight great game, but we need some bullpen help.

AOEllis
06-23-2004, 12:01 AM
After watching this game I understand truly what Bipolar Disorder is.

As soon as Belliard got this hit off Shingo I screamed, "DAN BERNSTEIN, SHUT UP!" I bet he was saying, "Here it is, the Eventual Shingo Beat-Down. I invented beat-downs. And Shingo. Stretch. I wonder what kind of fine spanish wine would make me feel better right now. O well, the sox are going nowhere anyways. Thought Process."

MRKARNO
You might have a point there. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
I know I sound like king of the obvious sometimes, but there are plenty of times around here that I'm not so sure what's obvious and what's not...

chisox56
I have night school so i missed the game up until the 10th inning, but i was wondering who that old lady they kept showing was?

beckett21
06-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Rough night for the FOLIP's. Oh well. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/violin.gif
LMAO! :bandance:

DSpivack
06-23-2004, 12:03 AM
I have night school so i missed the game up until the 10th inning, but i was wondering who that old lady they kept showing was?
The Official Rabbit's Foot of the White Sox?

voodoochile
06-23-2004, 12:04 AM
I know I sound like king of the obvious sometimes, but there are plenty of times around here that I'm not so sure what's obvious and what's not...
You'd be surprised at how unobvious some things are to some people...:)

chisoxt
06-23-2004, 12:05 AM

I don't know who she was, but if the Sox blew that game she would have left the park, feet first.

chisox06
06-23-2004, 12:09 AM
What a weird game. E-Lo goes hitless through 4 then gives up 6 runs in the 5th. If the sox would of lost this game I would have been devastated, but they didnt and thats the key. Oh and by the way Shingo is the man.

Nard
06-23-2004, 12:10 AM
The only important stat tonight:

DOUBLE DIGITS 'R' US :D:

woodenleg
I don't know who she was, but if the Sox blew that game she would have left the park, feet first.

I think they just thought it was cute - an elderly couple at the ballpark. You don't see that too much, what with Sox fans having a shortened life span and all.

StillMissOzzie
LMAO! Especially after watching her clench and grip while watching Shingo pitch the top of the 10th, she mighta had a grabber had they lost.

Hawk was right, though, I agree that this was a must win after pissing away the 8 run lead. To give this one up could have sent the Sox into a tailspin.

SMO
:gulp:

Jjav829
06-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Wow, that was uh, interesting? Never should have been that close obviously. When was the last time a pitcher went through the first 13 batters of the game without a hit or walk and then allowed 8 of the next 9 batters on via a walk or hit? Has it ever happened. I was stunned watching that. And on the day I got a Loaiza jersey too. :o:

Jose is gearing up for the Cubs early.

Frankfan4life
06-23-2004, 12:11 AM
How's this for optimism? We win tomorrow and the Twins lose, then we're in first place again. Can it be? Stay tuned!

Dadawg_77
06-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Wow, that was uh, interesting? Never should have been that close obviously. When was the last time a pitcher went through the first 13 batters of the game without a hit or walk and then allowed 8 of the next 9 batters on via a walk or hit? Has it ever happened. I was stunned watching that. And on the day I got a Loaiza jersey too. :o:

E mail Jason Stark, he might put it in one of his useless info columns.

Jjav829
06-23-2004, 12:15 AM
E mail Jason Stark, he might put it in one of his useless info columns.
Yeah I should. I'm sure him or Tim Kirkjian will be on it. I'm still in disbelief at that.

TornLabrum
06-23-2004, 12:21 AM
You might have a point there. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gifWhen I learned the language, "Phew!" was an expression one might use when one encountered the stench of boiling cabbage, a decomposing body, or a tuna sandwich (okay, I admit I can't stand tuna). The expression of relief way back then was, "Whew!"

Edit: Come to think of it, both apply to tonight.

kojak
06-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Would you consider this a come from behind victory for the Sox?
More like a Come From Ahead Victory

but it counts just the same! :cool:

Unregistered
06-23-2004, 12:33 AM
The Sox finally break the Curse of Billy Koch, winless since trading him to Florida. On second thought, maybe the Curse was when he was still ON the team... :?:

either way,
:winner
:tongue:

Mohoney
06-23-2004, 12:46 AM

June 1st, 2002: Todd Ritchie has a perfect game through 4 and 2/3 at Jacobs Field, then implodes after a Ray Durham error. When the dust settled, 8 unearned Indian runs had scored before the 3rd out.

Very similar to tonight.

WSox8404
06-23-2004, 01:16 AM
The Sox finally break the Curse of Billy Koch, winless since trading him to Florida. On second thought, maybe the Curse was when he was still ON the team... :?:

either way,
:winner
:tongue:
We beat Montreal. And please, no more talk of :dtroll: Koch.

Lip Man 1
06-23-2004, 01:22 AM
I'll take the win...I'm grateful for the win but this pitching staff has hit the wall and badly need an infusion of some more talent.

Neil Cotts has gotten into a position where he seems to be giving up a lot of home runs to left handed batters.

Stat of the night: The Sox pitching staff has allowed 82 home runs only Tampa Bay has allowed more.

Lip

Mohoney
06-23-2004, 01:35 AM
I'll take the win...I'm grateful for the win but this pitching staff has hit the wall and badly need an infusion of some more talent.

Neil Cotts has gotten into a position where he seems to be giving up a lot of home runs to left handed batters.

Stat of the night: The Sox pitching staff has allowed 82 home runs only Tampa Bay has allowed more.

Lip

Do you know offhand how many dingers we've served up with 2 outs? We've gotta be leading the league!

HomeFish
06-23-2004, 01:40 AM
The Sox move to two games above .500 with me in attendance. I also got my Herbert Perry jersey at Grandstand before the game -- win-win day for me.

hawkjt
06-23-2004, 01:56 AM
The Big Hurt, Jose and Shingo with an assist from Carlos. Now Add maggs back -and the dead arm period is almost over- and we are only 1 back !! Hang in Sox - You shall return. To first place. Tomorrow.

doublem23
06-23-2004, 01:57 AM
Great game to be at. Got there around 6 PM and my girlfriend and I were able to snag some bleacher seats, Section 161, Row 24 or so. I was surprised with how few Cub fans there were, and really, for blowing an 8-0 lead, how quiet they were even then. The only time the Cubbie minority made its presence heard was in the 9th or 10th, when Coco Crisp struck out to end the inning, they were really rooting Coco on, but I think that may have more to do with the fact that they just like saying his name rather than the fact they were really into the game.

Was a bit dissapointed with the two thrown back home run balls and how much support there was of that in the bleachers. The boos after the fact were definitely outweighed by the cheers and chants of "throw it back" both times. Also was ashamed to see some morons try and start the wave, with a tie game in the 8th inning, but hey... When you have half-price night you get the fans that you pay for, I suppose.

Overall, my first trip to the Cell in '04 was a pretty good one. I thought for sure that Carlos' fly out in the 10th was a goner. Damn I was pretty pessimistic about the game after Crisp made the grab. And damn, these Indians can flash some leather.

skobabe8
06-23-2004, 01:57 AM
June 1st, 2002: Todd Ritchie has a perfect game through 4 and 2/3 at Jacobs Field, then implodes after a Ray Durham error. When the dust settled, 8 unearned Indian runs had scored before the 3rd out.

Very similar to tonight.
Nicely done, Mohoney! :worship:

HomeFish
06-23-2004, 02:13 AM
Great game to be at. Got there around 6 PM and my girlfriend and I were able to snag some bleacher seats, Section 161, Row 24 or so. I was surprised with how few Cub fans there were, and really, for blowing an 8-0 lead, how quiet they were even then. The only time the Cubbie minority made its presence heard was in the 9th or 10th, when Coco Crisp struck out to end the inning, they were really rooting Coco on, but I think that may have more to do with the fact that they just like saying his name rather than the fact they were really into the game.

I was in 159, Row 18, so I saw all of that "Throw it Back" stuff as well. (The ball went into Section 160) Truely disgusting.

What I found amusing, though, is that people started yelling "Throw it back!" during both of the beachball incidents. Gload's Gang was also great.

Unregistered
06-23-2004, 02:16 AM
We beat Montreal. And please, no more talk of :dtroll: Koch. You got me - on both counts. :D:

Deadguy
06-23-2004, 02:21 AM
Jose = Best clutch hitter on the team. Way to go Valentin!!!!!

And Shingo, what else is there to say about him. His ERA is now at a sparkling 1.00.

On the downside, however, Konerko is starting to pull his yearly disappearing act. He is now 2-26. He had a similar stretch in May, but managed to pull out of it. He better pull it together, as this is a very important stretch of the season.

doublem23
06-23-2004, 03:00 AM
What I found amusing, though, is that people started yelling "Throw it back!" during both of the beachball incidents. Gload's Gang was also great.
Yeah, my favorite parts were when they took the G, O, A, and D out of the crowd for a few, just leaving a big, old "L" all alone, and the entire section giving them **** after Gload's terrible AB in the 9th for Olivo.

Good times. :gulp:

P.S., saw the sign "Loaiz'a Paisas" in the upper deck for the entire game. Anyone know what paisas means? My best guess was either something like "gang/crew/fanclub, etc." or "countrymen."

TDog
06-23-2004, 03:11 AM

Very similar to tonight.

Yes, I remember suffering through that game on the radio. I also remember reading about a game where Joe Cowley struck out the first, what was it, 10? hitters and was gone in by the end of the third. His last major league win was a no-hitter -- not a shutout -- that ended with a double play.

IA_soxfan
06-23-2004, 03:12 AM

Was a bit dissapointed with the two thrown back home run balls and how much support there was of that in the bleachers. The boos after the fact were definitely outweighed by the cheers and chants of "throw it back" both times. Also was ashamed to see some morons try and start the wave, with a tie game in the 8th inning, but hey... When you have half-price night you get the fans that you pay for, I suppose.

Overall, my first trip to the Cell in '04 was a pretty good one. I thought for sure that Carlos' fly out in the 10th was a goner. Damn I was pretty pessimistic about the game after Crisp made the grab. And damn, these Indians can flash some leather.
I didn't get to see the game tonight, but during the highlights on BBTN they showed some teenager in the act of throwing back a HR ball when...suprise...the upstanding sox fan sitting behind him promptly grabbed his arm and stopped him in mid-windup. He must have been a WSI-er. Kudos to you mysterious sox fan, wherever you are. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :bandance:

SSN721
06-23-2004, 07:37 AM
Wow, what a game. Since I have never played professional sports it s hard for me to comment on this with accuracy, but in some ways I feel a win like this is almost better then the blowout it shoudl have been. The emotional rush and peak at the mob scene at the end of the game has got to be good for the team emotionally. It might wake them up for the time being. I hope I dont know, obviously the performance is not good for the pitching staff. Another implosion, its getting to the point I dont feel confident going into any game anymore. It seems like since the Phillies series the pitching has just been relatively abysmal. I am trying to remember if we have even had one quality start since then. I dont think so. I could be wrong it is just a guess it just seems that way. I was very dissapointed in the thrown back home run balls. I was front row center in the fan deck and everyone in the outfield was chanting for him to throw it back, I did hear some discenting voices and it was nice there were boos afterwards but it is still a sad trend I wish would stop. But the mob scene at the plate and the chanting of Jose Jose Jose Jose on the ramps leaving the game was great. In the end, one game out, great result. A win is a win. :bandance: :D:

TornLabrum
06-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Jose = Best clutch hitter on the team. Way to go Valentin!!!!!

And Shingo, what else is there to say about him. His ERA is now at a sparkling 1.00.

On the downside, however, Konerko is starting to pull his yearly disappearing act. He is now 2-26. He had a similar stretch in May, but managed to pull out of it. He better pull it together, as this is a very important stretch of the season.
Just this past Sunday hockey expert Brian Hanley of the Cub-Times and The Score, said, "The Sox don't have a closer." Another reason I keep my listening to that station to a bare minimum nowadays.

Baby Fisk
06-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Don't know if this has been covered in another thread, but kudos to Shingo for his "hidden" perfect game! 27 consecutive batters retired, or was it 28 before the hit? Still, beauty!

How much of a rarity is this feat?

Rocky Soprano
06-23-2004, 09:39 AM
P.S., saw the sign "Loaiz'a Paisas" in the upper deck for the entire game. Anyone know what paisas means? My best guess was either something like "gang/crew/fanclub, etc." or "countrymen."
Paisas = countrymen

:gulp: