PDA

View Full Version : How many games over .500???

GASHWOUND
09-23-2001, 09:34 AM
Would 10 games over the .500 mark be a successful season in Sox fans minds?

I know we were suppose to be rapping up are 2nd consecutive division crown right about know, but all things to consider.

We were a tortures 14-29, 15 games under the.500 mark!!! "I'm glad I wasn't on any WS message boards back in April and May"
YIKES! The language that must have been used. Anyway..

The horrific record and ALL the injuries that piled up, especially with the pitching staff. We have a starting rotation that is 24 years old or yonger and the salaries of all of them combined is just over 1 million bucks! And we are 6 games over .500? Yeah, I think so.

Will 10 games over be deemed a good year all things considering? I said back in June that the Sox would finish with 83 victories. Will a 83 wins make us happy? Who knows, I think they may fly pass that. I'm just wondering how many wins is deemed successful at this point.

"ALL THINGS CONSIDERING OF COURSE"

Spiff
09-23-2001, 09:49 AM
I suppose it would be a minor victory, something to build off of next year. And yes, it was a major accomplishment to pull themselves from 14-29 so that is definitely something to be proud of. This team does have character.

I just hope they finish better than the twins and make the right decisions in the offseason.

CubKiller
09-23-2001, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Would 10 games over the .500 mark be a successful season in Sox fans minds?

For me, this will go down as one of the most frustrating and disappointing seasons ever no matter what their final record is. Before the season started, I fully expected the Sox to reach the playoffs.

The injuries and the 14-29 start we're bad enough, then think of all the times the Sox climbed back to .500 and dropped the next game or two. Or all the opportunities the Sox had to start a run over the last couple of months and fizzled.

But considering the enormous amount of injuries and the 14-29 start, I guess having a winning record at all would be a good sign for next year.

But when Jerry Manuel says, "We have no problem with being last on defense," I wonder if there's any hope whatsoever.

dimaisback
09-23-2001, 01:41 PM
But when Jerry Manuel says, "We have no problem with being last on defense," I wonder if there's any hope whatsoever

I don't have a problem either. We have above-average CF, C and that's it. Add to thar MJ is not the catcher pof the future since he can;t hit or run for shiiit, and will have a team with a BAD defense. Konerko, Lee, Valentin, Durham, Ordonez (average at best), Leifer, Thomas will ALWAYS be bad-to-below-average with the glove, and Rowand/RBorchard will only slow down as they become power-hitters. There will be time when only Joe Crede will be our only good defensive player...and that's fine! This team will need to hit and pitch (well, our phenoms will have to come tyhrough sometime, right!) their way into the playoffs, plain and simple.

Jerry_Manuel
09-23-2001, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by dimaisback
There will be time when only Joe Crede will be our only good defensive player...and that's fine!

:crede
If I ever get to play.

:liefer
I'm going to play 3rd not you Joe.