PDA

View Full Version : I met goose and the fridge today

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2004, 09:18 PM
A group of old ball players (baseball and football) came to the ship today to sign autographs. goose gossage, william perry, harman killebrew, franco harris, l. c. greenwood, manny sanguillen and paul blair were there. it was a good time and the first time i really got something out of the navy. goose was by far the most personable. everyone was standing around waiting for the captain to show up and the stars were huddled up waiting to get announced and stuff. goose was having none of that, he was all in the crowed shaking hands and talking to us. it was a really good time. has anyone met goose?

beckett21
06-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Haven't ever met any of them, but glad to hear they did that and were able to brighten your day! :D:

cubhater
06-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Got Goose's autograph one year in spring training as a kid and he posed for a pic. Cool dude.

I saw the Fridge in a hotel bar in Ft. Lauderdale the year after the Bears won the Super Bowl. He blew off all the adults who asked for autographs but signed for kids. Ex-Bear Mike Hartenstein sat next to him at the bar and nobody acknowledged him. I grabbed the seat next to him and he signed my Bear's pennant, bouight me a couple cold ones, and talked football for a long time.

I hear the Fridge is going through tough financial times and is auctioning off a lot of his stuff. Hope he's doing this appearance for you Navy guys out of appeaciation and not for a few bucks.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2004, 07:00 AM
Got Goose's autograph one year in spring training as a kid and he posed for a pic. Cool dude.

I saw the Fridge in a hotel bar in Ft. Lauderdale the year after the Bears won the Super Bowl. He blew off all the adults who asked for autographs but signed for kids. Ex-Bear Mike Hartenstein sat next to him at the bar and nobody acknowledged him. I grabbed the seat next to him and he signed my Bear's pennant, bouight me a couple cold ones, and talked football for a long time.

I hear the Fridge is going through tough financial times and is auctioning off a lot of his stuff. Hope he's doing this appearance for you Navy guys out of appeaciation and not for a few bucks.
i noticed there was no ring on his finger.:(: when i shook his hand, i could not even get my fingers around it like a normal hand. i felt like a two year old trying to shake his hand. it wan't that it was big as it was thick. massive man. i doubt they get paid, but if they do it can't be much.