PDA

View Full Version : Which games mean more to you?

hsnterprize
06-22-2004, 06:23 PM
I was listening to MJ&H on my way home from work today, and their poll question asked Cubs fans whether they'd rather see their team win...the 3 games vs. St. Louis or the weekend series against the Sox. As of now, most of the votes are Cubs Vs. Cardinals because not only did Dan McNeil chastise fans who voted for Cubs vs. Sox, but also because the Cardinals affect the standings in the N.L. Central more than the Sox do. That's a valid point to me, and someone calling into the show later on brought up something I think we Sox fans ought to look into...

He said that it's a matter of pride among friends (in his case, Sox fans) that he wanted the Cubs to beat the Sox more than the Cards. Now, he understands the importance of the Cubs beating the Cards. He knows the teams will stop playing one another in July, and it's important to get a jump on them since the 2 teams are 2 games apart in the standings. However, he said that because he wants to rub it in the faces of Sox fans, he'd "personally" like to see the Cubs beat the Sox.

Now let's personalize that statement. Of course, it's more important for the Sox to beat teams like the Indians and Twins. The Sox play them a whole lot more than the Cubs. However, as a matter of personal, civic pride, I want to see the Sox beat the Cubs every time they meet. Now with that in mind, let's remember that the Sox beat the Cubs 4 out of 6 last year, yet it was the Cubs who won their division. So, as we root for our Sox to beat the Cubs over the next 2 weekends, let's remember the games against them are more for personal pride, while games against inter-division teams like Cleveland and Minnesota are the for division. I think a division title and a good run to the World Series is a little more important than a National League team we're only seeing 6 times this year. However, I still would like to see the Sox beat the Cubs...hands down.

SSN721
06-23-2004, 08:40 AM
I was listening yesterday too, Harry just drives me nuts. Its like the guy has no balls and cant take a stand. He obviously bleeds Cubbie blue and tries to be a good Sox fan too. Even though he is knowledgeable about the Sox I still think his Cub love shines through much more. I just cant stand his supposed righteous attitude that a true CHicago fan roots for both teams because he does. If he wants that, thats fine, its his right, but dont get all pissy because fans of both teams dont have the same opinion. Hate and rivalry is fun. ANd I wish Danny Mac would grow a pair, he is so ****ing diplomatic. ANd I know he is a good Sox fan and I guess I am somewhat hyocritical becasue I would rather he is a Cub hater like most Sox fans are. Just would like to see him take a stand other then just during the Crosstown Series week. ANd I dont like him telling me that if I hate the Cubs it means I dont care about division rivals. I voted for Minny and Cleveland in this poll. To me this next Minny series is huge, I guess like all of them, but especially with the way we have been playing. Have to take all of these series against them. I guess as just a fan for bragging rights, I really want these games against the Cubs, but I still understand that Minny and Cleveland are more important.

jabrch
06-23-2004, 09:03 AM
I look at it this way. Every win means the same - in isolation. However, every time our competition loses a game, it is as good as a win. So while both are "important" since it is a chance to get up one more in the win column, the division rivalries are far more important since they are also a chance to saddle the opposition with a loss. If beating the Cubs also meant sticking Minnesota with a loss - well that's just a bonus.

That said, I enjoy watching Sox vs Cubs more than I enjoy Sox vs Twins. There is a lot of bragging rights we get from regularly beating them. The crowd energy level is higher at Sox vs Cubs (at both parks) than at any other regular season games I have ever seen.

Philo-Sox-er
06-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks to interleague, the games against the Cubs count--and we can't forget that. While we play the Cubs, the next two weekends, the Twins play the Brewers and the Diamondbacks. And all of these games DO effect the standings!

voodoochile
06-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Nice to beat the flubbies for bragging rights. Better to beat the ALC teams for standing rights. In the end the standings are what matters. Yes, games against the flubbies count, just not as much and as much as I love being able to rub it in my flubbie fan buddies faces when the Sox win, in the end, the playoffs are the goal and the Sox get closer to the playoffs by beating the ALC teams than they do by beating the flubbies...

Blob
06-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Games against teams in our division will ALWAYS be more important than the Scrubbies...

Even though taking those as well is AWESOME! But, not as important by far.

SoxFan78
06-23-2004, 10:04 AM
In this poll, I had to vote with my heart instead of my head, and placed it for the Sox vs. Cubs.

Just hear me out, for these next week starting Friday, my mindset changes. Sox vs. Cubs, the series that splits the city of Chicago. I understand that these games vs. the Twins and Indians are very important in the standings as well if the Sox can continue their season into October.

But these two weekends vs. the Cubs is more then just about a win over our crosstown rivals. It's bragging rights to all of our cub friends that like to throw it in our faces when they ask us where the Sox were last October. It's proof to the media that the Sox deserve more media coverage then they receive in this city. It shows the country that there is more then one team in Chicago.

Agree or disagree, this series is about pride. And for the next week, starting on Friday I will be thinking one thing and one thing only. BEAT THE CUBS!!!

After that, bring on the AL central.

Dan H
06-23-2004, 10:19 AM
In this poll, I had to vote with my heart instead of my head, and placed it for the Sox vs. Cubs.

Just hear me out, for these next week starting Friday, my mindset changes. Sox vs. Cubs, the series that splits the city of Chicago. I understand that these games vs. the Twins and Indians are very important in the standings as well if the Sox can continue their season into October.

But these two weekends vs. the Cubs is more then just about a win over our crosstown rivals. It's bragging rights to all of our cub friends that like to throw it in our faces when they ask us where the Sox were last October. It's proof to the media that the Sox deserve more media coverage then they receive in this city. It shows the country that there is more then one team in Chicago.

Agree or disagree, this series is about pride. And for the next week, starting on Friday I will be thinking one thing and one thing only. BEAT THE CUBS!!!

After that, bring on the AL central.
My sentiments exactly. Head on games against the Twins are really more important, but I love it when the Sox hand it to the Cubs. I can't stand it anything Cubbie blue from their overrated stadium to their lovable losing tradition. A day with sunshine is a day when the Cubs lose. The sun is even brighter when the Sox are the team that is beating them.

IlliniSox
06-23-2004, 10:34 AM
In the big picture, divisional games are more important. But nothing will bring the Sox together for a run like competing in front of 40+,000 crazed fans-and spanking them.

Oh, and shingo for prez.

Baby Fisk
06-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey, what happend to that cherished institution: the secret ballot? :cool:

pinwheels3530
06-23-2004, 10:44 AM
I hate Minnesota, and like I said before you can't over look Cleveland & Detroit they are not push over teams!!!

sas1974
06-23-2004, 11:03 AM
In the "Who do you hate more?" poll, I chose the scrubs. I don't hate the teams in our division. I don't like them either, of course.

But if you ask which games are "more important," there should be NO ONE voting for the scrubs games. Are you kidding me? This is what people are talking about when they say Sox fans care more about the scrubs than Sox. Winning the division, winning a pennant and winning the World Series are THE ONLY things that matter. That all starts w/ mowing through teams in our division and last time I checked, the scrubs aren't in the AL Central. If wins against the scrubs play into that, then great. If not, who cares(I'll refrain from pulling out our little friend, Gary Coleman on this one)? Would any of you give a damn if we won the World Series and some scrubs "fan" said, "So what? You guys couldn't beat us." Hell no!

fledgedrallycap
06-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Hands down the Twins/Cleveland. I feel very little buzz over the Cub games this year; mostly because we have bigger fish to fry and hopefully our entire year won't come down to bragging about how we took four of six from the sCrUBs.

Sad
06-23-2004, 01:26 PM
the Brewers have a 1/2 -way decent team this year...
here's hoping they kick the Twinkies :cool: before we go up there next week

serena
06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
I Want Them All!!! :d: