PDA

View Full Version : Do Cubs-Sox Games Make You Nervous?

soxwon
06-22-2004, 04:25 PM
are you like me, and are on the edge on every pitch?
i get so frickin nervous, especially when they(cubs ) get the MOMENTARY lead.
i go to all 3 at the Cell and one at Wrigley.
I simply resent everything Cub.
Do you guys-Gals get nervous?

Cellview22
06-22-2004, 04:30 PM
I get nervous during every Sox game, not just when they play the Cubs. But yeah, I think this year I'll get extra nervous for the Cubs.

Even last night, the game was driving me nuts. I felt like I was having a panic attack..it's hard to watch our shaky pitching, but with Loaiza on the mound tonight the nerves should be down a little.

Philo-Sox-er
06-22-2004, 04:33 PM
yes. i develop an extra ulcer for each game in the series.

hawkjt
06-22-2004, 04:35 PM
The answer is a resounding yes. I want these games so bad that if we ever lose the series I don't know how I will react. It is almost more of a sense of relief rather than joy when the games are over and the sox have won again. I wish they would cut it down to one series a year. It drains me so I have to wonder what it does to the players. I think 6 is too many.

Baby Fisk
06-22-2004, 04:37 PM
The first couple of weeks this season, when the Sox were pulling their late-inning cardiac stunts, I was a wreck. Things are OK now, and the temptations to smash the TV have been fleeting. However, the Sox-Cubs series will be hard because I'll be forced to deal with Chip Caray braying about the Cubbies for at least one or two broadcasts. :mad:

Blob
06-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Definately drains me mentally and physically. The highs and lows of the games. They are very nerve racking to watch but I always go to all three at the Cell.

Except this year, I can't go Saturday my neice and nephews B-day is that day.

Blueprint1
06-22-2004, 05:09 PM
I have almost grown to hate them. I am sick of this inner league play lets play the Yankees and other teams more often.

Orta 4-6-3
06-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Those two dramatic wins at the Cell last year were the most exciting games I ever attended, but it was more relief than happiness when they were over. Seeing the dishearted Cubs fans trudge out after the game was quite sweet, however. The older I get, the more I hate everything Cub.

As for this year, I am as worried as I was before the series in '98, when the Sox got swept in that place where the Bears used to play. I so want to be wrong, but I already need some Pepto-Bismal.

QueerGirrl
06-22-2004, 05:44 PM
I get nervous during every Sox game, not just when they play the Cubs. But yeah, I think this year I'll get extra nervous for the Cubs.

I'm exactly like you Cell. I live and die with every pitch no matter who they're playing. I'm so neurotic about the Sox that I'm leaning toward not watching either series with the Scrubs. If we win, I'll be thrilled and I'll catch the highlights. If we lose, I'm going to avoid the tv all together. :rolleyes: I can't take it!

JoseCanseco6969
06-22-2004, 06:02 PM
I get nervous at almost every game! Sadly, wins or losses shape the way my day goes. It kinda sucks but I love the Sox:bandance: . These cubs-sox games just intensify the stress because a loss means I hear the countless cub fans I know leaving me messages rubbing in our loss:angry:

Viva Magglio
06-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Every game is an exercise in anxiety for me, but the Cubs games are so much so that I actually wish we did not have interleague play. Losing to them is unbearable and nothign short of infinite shame.

Dadawg_77
06-22-2004, 09:05 PM
I live a 15 minute walk from the Urinal and good number of people that I know are Cub fans including my roomate, of course I am nervous.

soxwon
06-22-2004, 09:07 PM
do you think the cubs fans get as nervous as we do?
or do you think they dont care?

Viva Magglio
06-22-2004, 09:08 PM
or do you think they dont care?
Many of them are too stupid to get nervous.

SEALgep
06-22-2004, 09:11 PM
or do you think they dont care?They'll tell you they don't care for a mixture of two reasons. One, they hypocritically pretend we care more than they do about the rivalry, and two, we have the better record between the two clubs against each other.

Nellie Comiskey
06-22-2004, 11:11 PM
I echo everyone's thoughts in that I take this personal and am on the edge of my seat with every pitch. It is excruciating enough, thank goodness B. Koch isn't still here....it was bad enough that Mariners game, I could not imagine a meltdown vs. the Scrubs. There are two times a year when I loose sleep over sports: 1. Sox vs. Scrubs & 2. Alabama vs. Auburn. Someone earlier asked if Scrub fans cared....maybe to get a refill of wine but not for the game. Most of them could not tell you who Jim Frey was! It is to the point that I my rooting against the Scrubs is nearing my desire for a Sox win. Funny thing I noticed at a Birmingham Barons game recently...they announced groups in attendance and welcomed the Minor League Chicago Cubs.....I thought that is pretty redundant. It's like saying short midget or two twins. Go Sox and let's toast the wonderful "Hitless Wonders" during the series this weekend!
:luis&nell
:luis&nell

voodoochile
06-22-2004, 11:20 PM
nervous like a bear in a stream filled with salmon

nervous like a cat in a Robin's nest filled with freshly hatched young

nervous like Daver as he stares over the site guide of his Dessert Eagle .50 caliber handgun at a Deer 50 yards away.

nervous like Big Frank with a 3-0 count, the bases loaded and a rookie pitcher on the hill.

nervous? Me? I don't do nervous in June...

Jjav829
06-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Here's a better question. Come 3:00 on Friday, whose work production will drop drastically? :smile:

Nervous? Absolutely. But there are many things that make me nervous with the Sox. It's just my nature. Until the game is over, I rarely have much confidence that a win is coming.

chisox06
06-22-2004, 11:35 PM
I think what does it for me is that these games affect me on a much more personal level than any others. I mean just look around this forum and you see all the built up anger we all have for the Northside. And then they play eachother for 6 games, those are tough to get through. I look forward to them every year but when I watching these games and its a tight game I have to think to myself am I really enjoying this? Is it ok to sweat when your watching TV?

StillMissOzzie
06-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Yes, I am nervous. Not because of the Scrubs starters, who the Sox have largely handled well, but they are on an awesome hot streak now, with plenty of late inning come from behind heroics. At least we no longer have Koch to throw gasoline on the fire.

SMO
:gulp:

kittle42
06-22-2004, 11:52 PM
It as at the same time the most enjoyable and least enjoyable time of the year.

OurBitchinMinny
06-23-2004, 12:00 AM
I never did before this year, but the sox have always had more talent and a better team. This year as much as it kills me to say the cubs have more talent, especially in the starting rotation. I mean hell the way rusch is pitching he could be our #3 right now. I still think the sox can beat them, but not the way theyve been playing

Whitesox029
06-23-2004, 12:04 AM
are you like me, and are on the edge on every pitch?
i get so frickin nervous, especially when they(cubs ) get the MOMENTARY lead.
i go to all 3 at the Cell and one at Wrigley.
I simply resent everything Cub.
Do you guys-Gals get nervous?I would have to agree. These games are bigger than any other regular season games (except potential clinchers in September) for any Sox fan who is acquainted with one or more cub fans. Bragging rights rule, and we all get nervous when faced with what seems like an eternity of their taunts. This just makes it all the sweeter when we win it.

AnkleSox
06-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Hell yeah i get nervous. I talk so much crap about the cubs to fans that i know, that I dread what gloating on their part may come up should the cubs win the series.

That being said, the cubs have had better pitching for several years, and the sox still managed to take the series. The cubs always choke at important times, and even though they hide it, the crosstown series means a whole lot to them. Especially since it's only been a few years since they've become "chicago's team" and were living in the shadow of the Sox's success (or at least the sox ending with an above .500 record) for quite some time.

vegyrex
06-23-2004, 12:15 AM
It as at the same time the most enjoyable and least enjoyable time of the year.
Yes it is.

WinningUgly!
06-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Do Cubs-Sox Games Make You Nervous?

Nope. Not even when the Sox are down by 8 runs.

milrtyme28
06-23-2004, 02:18 AM
to me, it is critical that the sox beat the cubs. I have no friends that are sox fans. my family are all cub fans. if the sox lose the season series i will take an unending and relentless drubbing until next year.

that said - i beleive in the offense. obvoiusly, our pitching is not quite at the level the dreaded north siders are, but we do have the most potent offense in baseball, nl or al.

i think we can beat the cubs with an onslaught of hits - hopefully their pitching doesnt shut us down. If our pitching isnt at least reasonably solid we are ****ed. 6-9 run innings are not going to get us anywhere. Our pitching needs to start solid and end solid - we cant have 4 solid innings and give up the whole ****ing game in 2/3 of an inning.

I am anxious to see what moves we make in the near future. we need pitching if we plan to do anything more than the alc.

SSN721
06-23-2004, 07:07 AM
I am a little nervous. MOre for the bragging rights than anything else. I want to win these bad. It will be harder this year, and with the dreaded Twins in between I hope they we dont show up for the Cubs and then drop more important games to the Twinkies. But if our offense shows up, I think we have a good shot to win these games as we seem to about every year. :cool:

thepaulbowski
06-23-2004, 07:28 AM
I have almost grown to hate them. I am sick of this inner league play lets play the Yankees and other teams more often.
Amen...this interleague play thing is old, IMO. This "balanced" schedule thing isn't working with interleague play. It's almost July and the Sox have yet to play the Tigers, a team in their own divison. That is ridiculous.

As far as Cub/Sox games making me nervous, they don't because I'm on vacation just about every year during them. So, I don't even watch them.

white sox bill
06-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Yes, esp. in previous yrs, they REALLY made me nervous. I always resented the fact that Sox fans had to breath the same Chicago air as flub fans. Why God made flies and scrub fans is the first question out of my mouth when I make it to the pearly gates!:smile:

But this year, I'm trying to take a differnt perspective. As in the other aspects of my life, I know there's no point of getting anxious over something I can't control. Its mind over matter for me. Sure I'd LIKE them to sweep, but because I'm totally indifferent to the flubs (I purposly don't check thier score, thier W-L record etc) this may as well be agianst the twins,rockies or mets. That way when one of their fans starts talking about them, I simply say something like:"Really don't know much about them. I'm a south side guy..)

This attitude has become my self-defense mechanism. Giving acknowledgement to flub fans fuels fire. Being single for 44 yrs and dealing with numerous ex-girlfriends, remember this:

The opposite of love isn't hate, its indifference!

Go Sox!
Bill

LauraJ14
06-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Yes, I am nervous but that's because I put together a group outing with my co-workers for the Saturday game at the Cell. This will be our 3rd year and the Sox have won the last 2 years. But the people I hang out with from work are Cub fans and so I want the Sox to win so I don't have to listen to them chirp the rest of the summer.

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2004, 09:01 AM
As far as Cub/Sox games making me nervous, they don't because I'm on vacation just about every year during them. So, I don't even watch them.
Same here and even when I'm not on vacation, I really don't watch these games. I can't bear hearing the Cubs fans "oohing" and "aahing" with each shallow fly ball.

Baby Fisk
06-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Same here and even when I'm not on vacation, I really don't watch these games. I can't bear hearing the Cubs fans "oohing" and "aahing" with each shallow fly ball.:chimp
"SWUNG ON AND BELTED! HE GOT ALL OF THAT ONE! AND... and Jose Valentin makes the catch just past the infield dirt...DANG!"

SoxFan78
06-23-2004, 09:12 AM
One of my best times at a Sox game was the Saturday game last year at Comiskey in row 29 in the upper deck, and watching Jose Valentin hit the game winning home run to send the Cubs home and guaranteeing a Sox series win. The whole upper concourse chanting "Jose, jose jose jose, jose, jose".

If the sox would of lost, I would of felt the complete opposite of how I felt.

Do Sox vs. Cubs make me nervous? Hell yes!

Fungo
06-23-2004, 09:16 AM
cubs fans absolutely care about this series. They can pretend they don't care about the Sox, but fact is they do. This time of year, living in or around the city is they worst for Sox fans. I do get nervous & winning these series is crucial for the simply fact that you don't have to listen to the cubs fans go on & on. Of course, even if the Sox win the series you still have to listen to the excuses.

I'd love to hear a sound effect of a sneeze over the loud speakers the first time Sosa* comes to the plate.
aah aah aah chewwwww

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2004, 09:43 AM
:chimp
"AND HE GOT ALL OF THAT ONE! IT'S BLASTED A MILE! AND... and Jose Valentin makes the catch just past the infield dirt...DANG!"
I think you mean, "SWUNG ON AND BELTED!........" :wink:

Baby Fisk
06-23-2004, 09:54 AM
I think you mean, "SWUNG ON AND BELTED!........" :wink:Thx, LLF. I made an edit. Not all that up to speed on my Chipisms.

:DJ
"Catch phrases are overrated."

:hawk
"Shut up, Fiesty."

Dick Allen
06-23-2004, 10:20 AM
I care more about this series than any other, simply from the standpoint that a Sox win can stem the Cubbie-loving local media onslaught, even if only temporarily.

hawkjt
06-23-2004, 11:24 AM
The one thing I would keep in mind is that last year the Sox took the series 4-2 and yet the cubs won their division and advanced in the playoffs. So if we lose 2 of 3 and then go to Minny and win 3 of 3 I can live with it. Course we need to beat them both for bragging rights and the division. Go Sox Crush the Scrubs.