PDA

View Full Version : Why all the doom and gloom?

eurotrash35
06-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Man, you'd think it was August with us down by 15 games the way things look around here. We may be in for some more licks this month but if we can keep it close I could see us making a huge run toward the end of July and into August.

Here are some things that we can hopefully look forward to:

KW gets not one but TWO starters. If we get one of our top targets (Garcia, Sheets, etc.) and another decent 3 or 4 guy it would allow us to send Shoney back to the bullpen and give us a solid middle reliever. Shoney had a great start to the season but he's either getting worn down or he just isn't fooling hitters anymore. The bullpen is the best place for him now.

Magglio will be back. Not much more to say about that.

Willie and Juan will continue to improve. Willie will continue to improve his OBP and Juan is going to hang around .300. You guys can wait for Uribe to come back down to earth all season but I'll be cheering him on as a solid member of the lineup.

Ozzie is going to keep learning from his mistakes. By the time the stretch rolls around I think we're going to have a solid ballclub that's poised to make a postseason run. Keep ya heads up, there's a lot of baseball to be played.

Sorry if some of you think this should be in pink, I can definitely see it happening for real. :cool:

Blob
06-22-2004, 10:47 AM
And actually Shoney did not pitch bad last night. He is truely our 5th starter, if he holds them to 4 runs then we should win those games. The offense did not get going at all last night.

Dadawg_77
06-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Willie and Juan will continue to improve. Willie will continue to improve his OBP and Juan is going to hang around .300. You guys can wait for Uribe to come back down to earth all season but I'll be cheering him on as a solid member of the lineup.
:cool:
Uribe has already landed, his OBP for June is .298 so far. This is shaping up to be one horrible month for him. Crede on the other hand has been hot in June, OPS of 1.014. Harris has no power, but OBP has been .353. Rowand is putting up Bond's type numbers OPS 1.328. So the way it is looking Ozzie should play Uribe a little bit less and put Rowand and Harris out there more regularly. If he wants a bold move go with a lineup of Harris (2b), Rowand (cf), Thomas (DH), Crede(3d), Lee (LF), Perez (RF), Konerko (1b), Burke (C), Jose (SS). That would shake things up and group the Sox hottest hitters together.

DaveIsHere
And actually Shoney did not pitch bad last night. He is truely our 5th starter, if he holds them to 4 runs then we should win those games. The offense did not get going at all last night.
I agree if we pick up a starter Schoney will be pushed to #5 where we could also use him as a reliever if need be. He did pitch pretty well last night, the defense let hime down on that DP and Konerko stabbed at a ball instead of getting infront of it, and if I am not mistaken that cost us a couple of runs. We'll take them out tonight. Have faith, we will at least split with the Injuns and take the Flub series.:gulp:

eurotrash35
I wouldn't mind having him as a 5th starter as long as we have somebody in our bullpen that we can count on for solid middle relief.

Tekijawa
06-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Because we lose to teams like the Expos and are in Seccond in one of the worst divisions in baseball. Yes Will and Uribe may continue to only hit 300... but we're in SECOND PLACE with them Hitting 330!!! Yes Maggs will come back and all may be well then, but what happens if we somehow manage to squeek into the playoffs? Can we Beat the Yankees (we couldn't when they Sucked) Can we beat Boston? Can we beat ANY team out west(not for the past 800 years)? :?:

It really ain't pretty no matter how you look at it, this team lives and dies with the bat (with the exception of every 5th game) and we're looking for something that has been SEMI-CONSISTANT? Why not go with a 4 man rotation, Pick up some bull pen help and break the bank on a couple more Quality bats? after all those seem to be trading at a discount right now any way as everyone else on earth is looking for that 5th starter...

jabrch
06-22-2004, 10:54 AM
I agree 100% What's funny is that a lot of the people bitching about a bad stretch of 7 games were the same people bitching that sample sizes of individual performances were too small when we won 5 of 7 earleir. It's the same old stupid stuff - overreact either way when we are good or bad. It is a classic case of Internet Message Board Syndrom (IM-BS).

Man, you'd think it was August with us down by 15 games the way things look around here. We may be in for some more licks this month but if we can keep it close I could see us making a huge run toward the end of July and into August.

Here are some things that we can hopefully look forward to:

KW gets not one but TWO starters. If we get one of our top targets (Garcia, Sheets, etc.) and another decent 3 or 4 guy it would allow us to send Shoney back to the bullpen and give us a solid middle reliever. Shoney had a great start to the season but he's either getting worn down or he just isn't fooling hitters anymore. The bullpen is the best place for him now.

Magglio will be back. Not much more to say about that.

Ozzie is going to keep learning from his mistakes. By the time the stretch rolls around I think we're going to have a solid ballclub that's poised to make a postseason run. Keep ya heads up, there's a lot of baseball to be played.

Sorry if some of you think this should be in pink, I can definitely see it happening for real. :cool:

Tekijawa
06-22-2004, 10:56 AM
We'll take them out tonight. Have faith, we will at least split with the Injuns and take the Flub series.:gulp:
I'm not looking forward to the Cubs Series

Prior v. Garland
Zambrano V. Schoeney
Maddux v. Loaiza

Last I checked we have a problem with good pitchers too... We better bring our "A" GAME this weekend

harwar
06-22-2004, 10:57 AM
This can all be turned around starting tonight.
However;If we lose most of the next 13 games against the indians,cubs,& twins then we may be in for yet another loooonnnnng year.

Blob
06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
I agree 100% What's funny is that a lot of the people bitching about a bad stretch of 7 games were the same people bitching that sample sizes of individual performances were too small when we won 5 of 7 earleir. It's the same old stupid stuff - overreact either way when we are good or bad. It is a classic case of Internet Message Board Syndrom (IM-BS).
You are right it is the classic lose - lose situation...

pudge
06-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Man, you'd think it was August with us down by 15 games the way things look around here.
Um, if it was August and we were down by 15, nobody would be in here - and the ones who were would be posting about how to spend Maggs' $14 million for 2005.

Malgar 12
06-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Back to the original question; "Why all the doom and gloom?"

It's an automatic self-defense mechanism, built up by years of disappointment, heartbreak, and drugdery. Is it always rational? Of course not, but it is, on an emotional level completely understandable.

The Sox haven't won a home playoff game since 1959 (thats 0 for the last 10)
The great "Jose Paniagua Affair" choke job of 03 is still fresh in a lot of minds.
The Sox avg 10 years between playoff appearances.(even after playoff expansion)
Tito Landrum
Carlos May's Thumb
the '94 Strike
etc
etc

anyway the point is are there reasons to be positive? yes
are there reasons to be negative? yes
Is the the season far from over? of course

But, Sox fans will always focus on the negative,until they see a WS winner.
For better and worse, panic is part of who we are.

CWSGuy406
06-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Uribe has already landed, his OBP for June is .298 so far. This is shaping up to be one horrible month for him. Crede on the other hand has been hot in June, OPS of 1.014. Harris has no power, but OBP has been .353. Rowand is putting up Bond's type numbers OPS 1.328. So the way it is looking Ozzie should play Uribe a little bit less and put Rowand and Harris out there more regularly. If he wants a bold move go with a lineup of Harris (2b), Rowand (cf), Thomas (DH), Crede(3d), Lee (LF), Perez (RF), Konerko (1b), Burke (C), Jose (SS). That would shake things up and group the Sox hottest hitters together.
I don't know about you, but once Magglio returns to the lineup, I would like to see Harris and Rowand platooned in center. IMO that combo could and will provide us with a .300+ average, .350+ OBP, and could really do some damage.

delben91
06-22-2004, 01:17 PM
I don't know about you, but once Magglio returns to the lineup, I would like to see Harris and Rowand platooned in center. IMO that combo could and will provide us with a .300+ average, .350+ OBP, and could really do some damage.

I'm definitely not a fan of Rowand, but he's swinging a hot bat right now, so I say keep him in the line up so long as he's swinging well.

beckett21
06-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm not looking forward to the Cubs Series

Prior v. Garland
Zambrano V. Schoeney
Maddux v. Loaiza

Last I checked we have a problem with good pitchers too... We better bring our "A" GAME this weekend
The only negative comment I will make is that we still seem to have a bad little habit of playing down to the level of our competition, i.e. the '27 Yanks aka the Expos, and the Mariners as recent examples. I had thought Ozzie changed that, but apparently old habits die hard.

I don't worry about the Cub series because we will be up for them. Why we did not seem up for the Tribe is more worrisome to me. Hopefully that changes tonight.

Overall I agree with the positive sentiments already stated in this thread. I'm not abandoning ship over one bad week of uninspired baseball.

Lip Man 1
The Sox have lost 9 consecutive home post season games, not 10.
The Phillies hold the record for most consecutive home post season losses (10) so the Sox are very close to a dubious mark.

Lip

Cellview22
Don't the Sox usually play like crap leading up to the Cubs series. Then when we meet the Cubs, that's when the Sox' bats come alive and we get back in rhythm. It's like the World Series for the Sox; it doesn't get much more exciting at the Cell than when we host the Cubs.

Iwritecode
06-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Back to the original question; "Why all the doom and gloom?"

It's an automatic self-defense mechanism, built up by years of disappointment, heartbreak, and drugdery. Is it always rational? Of course not, but it is, on an emotional level completely understandable.

The Sox haven't won a home playoff game since 1959 (thats 0 for the last 10)
The great "Jose Paniagua Affair" choke job of 03 is still fresh in a lot of minds.
The Sox avg 10 years between playoff appearances.(even after playoff expansion)
Tito Landrum
Carlos May's Thumb
the '94 Strike
etc
etc

anyway the point is are there reasons to be positive? yes
are there reasons to be negative? yes
Is the the season far from over? of course

But, Sox fans will always focus on the negative,until they see a WS winner.
For better and worse, panic is part of who we are.

Wow, that's a good post.

I like those last two lines. It doesn't fit all of us, but a lot of us.

Dadawg_77
06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
If Uribe stays in this funk, I would rather see Harris at second.

soxtalker
06-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Don't the Sox usually play like crap leading up to the Cubs series. Then when we meet the Cubs, that's when the Sox' bats come alive and we get back in rhythm. It's like the World Series for the Sox; it doesn't get much more exciting at the Cell than when we host the Cubs.
Often the Cubs overlook the Sox. They won't this year.

kojak
06-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Being relatively new here, I am learning that this place can really become depressing during a bad stretch. I guess an 87-year dry spell will do that. But every team goes through a bad patch and this is ours, unfortunately. But last year our bad patch was the end of September, so I will ride this one out.

I honestly believe we will win this division and play in October. The Yanks and Cards are the cream of the crop right now, but as we all know anything can happen. Who picked the Marlins last year or the Angels the year before.

It will be our turn one of these times. We have a pretty great team here when they click on all cylinders and can beat ANY comers (that are based in the USA:tongue: ) If we can just learn how to appease the Baseball Gods, then our longsuffering will soon end...

Palehose13
06-22-2004, 09:26 PM
The recent roadtrip had me a bit down, but then I thought about where they were at this time last year...weren't they about 7-8 games back? We're only 2 games back (possibly 1 with the way they are killing the injuns and the other sox are killing the twins). I think KW knows where the holes are and is trying his best to make a reasonable deal to fill them. Hell, the fact that he got rid of Koch tells me that he means business this year. :smile:

Anyway, the sky is not falling just yet. It's a marathon, not a sprint. All teams go through a bad stretch or two trhoughout the year. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

I will be worried when we are two game back with only two games left in the season.

Parrothead
06-22-2004, 11:06 PM
All the doom and gloom is because the Sox can't pitch, hold a lead, hit in clutch situations, field and the seats are blue. This is so frustrating !!!!!:angry:

BigEdWalsh
06-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Why all the doom and gloom?
Because this is a Chicago White Sox message board. :D:

There was another thread (I believe it was in the Parking Lot) which asked something like how did you become a Sox fan. To my surprise a startling number of people replied that they were originally Cub fans. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that now they aren't GOOD White Sox fans....but is it possible that some of that Cubbie fan eternal optimism is still with them. I don't mean FOR the Cubs, but rather that they have that sunshiny way of looking at things?
I, as a lifelong Sox fan, don't. Gloom comes with almost EVERY loss (unless we're way up in 1st place which, well.....you know). Anger comes easily with blown 8-0 leads and losing 2 of 3 to last place NL teams, etc. etc.
And most importantly the WANT to improve the team is ALWAYS there!