PDA

View Full Version : Im tired of the excuse that we faced great pitching everytime we cant score runs!!!

ChiSoxTony
06-22-2004, 08:08 AM
If you want to be a great team you have to learn how to hit great pitching. Even a great pitcher will give you a something to hit during an at bat, and our batters have to learn how to learn how to hit singles against them. A great pitcher will not give you pitches to hit home runs. Our hitters need to hit to the opposite field, and stop trying to pull everything.

Until we learn how to hit great pitchers, we will be nothing more than an average team that can hit average pitching!!!

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Agreed. If the Sox are such a powerful offensive team, then they need to be able to score runs, even against good pitching. Maybe they just aren't as great as I have been led to believe.

delben91
06-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Or perhaps, like every team in baseball does from time to time, the Sox are just in a funk.

HomerCoach
06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Or perhaps, like every team in baseball does from time to time, the Sox are just in a funk.
Because Maggs is out of the lineup. He makes a huge difference.

gosox41
06-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Agreed. If the Sox are such a powerful offensive team, then they need to be able to score runs, even against good pitching. Maybe they just aren't as great as I have been led to believe.

DING DING DING. We have a winner. Every time I write negative stuff I get ripped on, but here goes.

-Willie is not a .320 hitter. If we get .280 out of him I'm happy.

-Uribe is not going to hit .360 or .330. I'm betting by seasons end he'll be in the .270 area. Don't take this as a rip on KW as it was a good trade, but I've said all year Uribe is hitting over his head.

-Schoenweis is pitching like...Schoenewies. He's a 32 year old pitcher with a 5.00 ERA as a starter. New pitch or not, repeat this mantra: 'Esteban Loaiza is the exception to the rule of pitcher's turning around their careers'

-Based on PK's past performance, he is not going to hit well in the second half. Look at a break down of his first and second half numbers from 2001.

Why do I bring these 4 guys up? Because they were all hot when the Sox were playing their best this year. Looking at their long term stats, can anyone be surprised if these guys come down to earth? Hope is one thing, reality is another.

Meanwhile, while the Sox as a whole were playing good ball, who was underperforming?

Crede.

Bob

DaveIsHere
06-22-2004, 08:55 AM
They are definetely in a funk, they did get pitches to hit but they fouled them back or were a little late. CC was on and he was pitching backwards, Curveballs behind in the count. I was hoping for someone to hit a line drive to knock that silly hat tilt of his head

Tekijawa
06-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Luckily there will be no good pitchers in the post season!!!

White Sox baseball: Smoke and Mirrors.

Procol Harum
06-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Or perhaps, like every team in baseball does from time to time, the Sox are just in a funk.Yeah, and here it comes just as we play the rising-because-we're-sinking-Indians, and two series with the suddenly-hot-and-getting-healthy-Cubs sandwiched around a series with our nemesis the Twins. It seems like the Sox traditional May implosion has waited until June this year. Given this team's obvious--and frequently pointed out--shortcomings in starting pitching, the 5th starter, the bullpen and our all-too-frequent hitting blackouts, ya gotta find it hard to feel real confident about the next two weeks: we may well be facing this year's make-it-or-break-it stretch.

Dadawg_77
06-22-2004, 09:28 AM
You know this losing streak isn't caused by the offense as much as it is being caused by the pitching/defense. The Sox had the highest ERA in the month of June at 6.09 while going 6-11. After Baltimore (5.96) the third highest is Anaheim at 4.72. In May the Sox (3rd) went 16-12 with a 3.78 ERA and to start off the year in April the Sox posted 4.35 (5th) ERA while going 13-8.

greenpeach
06-22-2004, 09:58 AM
You know this losing streak isn't caused by the offense as much as it is being caused by the pitching/defense. The Sox had the highest ERA in the month of June at 6.09 while going 6-11. After Baltimore (5.96) the third highest is Anaheim at 4.72. In May the Sox (3rd) went 16-12 with a 3.78 ERA and to start off the year in April the Sox posted 4.35 (5th) ERA while going 13-8.
I couldn't agree with you more. Hitting, no matter how good, comes & goes throughout the course of a season, but pitching remains a constant. This lineup is as lethal as any in the American League. However, the staff can't continually put us in an early 2-0 or 3-0 hole. You're putting way too much pressure on your lineup. The bottom line is that the White Sox don't have a championship caliber pitching staff. KW better be burning up the phone lines late at night trying to get some help or we might as well kiss the rest of the season goodbye.

duke of dorwood
06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Our inability to generate and squezze out runs helps these pitchers too.

This is no surprise based on personell

LongLiveFisk
06-22-2004, 10:25 AM
You're right, but don't forget that we often make rookie pitchers look like Nolan Ryan out there. :?:

mdep524
06-22-2004, 11:49 AM
You've got it, Frater. For whatever reason, the Sox offense ALWAYS gets a free pass in this town, in the media, and with Sox management. Sometimes it even happens on these boards too.

Because they all have so much "talent," the Sox O has always been taken for granted. Comments like "we all know they are going to hit" or "hitting won't be this team's problems" or "they'll be able to pit runs up on the board no doubt." Every season since '00 we've heard this and I am still not convinced this offense is made up of anything but numbers-padding, streaky one dimensional sluggers. Mainly I am talking about Konerko and Lee, who have been grossly overrated by the Sox brass. This team doesn't rise to the occassion against great ptichers or in big time situations and they always get the free pass of "well, just gotta tip your cap, good pitching will always shut you down."

Sure, there are some exceptions as some people here will no doubt recall, but overall I really think the structure of this offense needs to be closely examined as opposed to writing off every pathetic performance to a slump or to good pitching.

mdep524
06-22-2004, 11:57 AM
I'm not so sure Dadawg. Sure, the numbers look that way, and no doubt the pitching has been a step down from where it was in April and May. But when you looks at the actual, individual games, this recent losing streak seems to reflect poorly on the offense more. Going back to the Florida series, the Sox have lost 5 of 7. In the 5 losses the other team has scored 4, 2, 17, 4, 5.

When you take out that abomination of a 5th starter game, the pitching doesn't look so terrible. If the Sox averaged 5 runs per game (which is reasonable for them), they would have won (or "tied") 4 of those 5 games, the only exception being that 17 run debacle. That would turn the whole road trip, and last night, right around.

Dadawg_77
06-22-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm not so sure Dadawg. Sure, the numbers look that way, and no doubt the pitching has been a step down from where it was in April and May. But when you looks at the actual, individual games, this recent losing streak seems to reflect poorly on the offense more. Going back to the Florida series, the Sox have lost 5 of 7. In the 5 losses the other team has scored 4, 2, 17, 4, 5.

When you take out that abomination of a 5th starter game, the pitching doesn't look so terrible. If the Sox averaged 5 runs per game (which is reasonable for them), they would have won (or "tied") 4 of those 5 games, the only exception being that 17 run debacle. That would turn the whole road trip, and last night, right around.
You always have games where you get shutout and games where the ball looks like a beach ball. The Sox pitching production dropped two runs from May to June. That will cost you more games then a good offense which doesn't score all the time. To make up for that difference the Sox will have to score two more runs a game. For people looking for an offense that constantly scores 5 runs a game, you can find it right next to the Fountain of Youth. The offence has score over 10 runs 6 times, problem being we lost two of those!!!!!, and under 3 runs 5 times, losing them all.

beckett21
06-22-2004, 01:40 PM
You always have games where you get shutout and games where the ball looks like a beach ball. The Sox pitching production dropped two runs from May to June. That will cost you more games then a good offense which doesn't score all the time. To make up for that difference the Sox will have to score two more runs a game. For people looking for an offense that constantly scores 5 runs a game, you can find it right next to the Fountain of Youth. The offence has score over 10 runs 6 times, problem being we lost two of those!!!!!, and under 3 runs 5 times, losing them all.
DaDawg the voice of reason? Will wonders ever cease? :redneck

While I do agree with the point about taking the 5th starter out of the equation, besides that the pitching has noticeably taken a downturn. I am not going to blame this on the offense, it falls squarely on the pitching side of the ledger IMO. Starting, relieving, whatever. One could argue Garland pitched well enough to win Sunday, and Loaiza Thursday. But overall the pitching has dropped back down to earth. And the bullpen has been atrocious outside of Shingo/Marte.

Offense is not the primary problem on this team. Pitching is what wins. There is more than enough offense here to go around. The pitching needs to step it back up.

Dadawg_77
06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=beckett21]DaDawg the voice of reason? Will wonders ever cease? :redneck

[QUOTE]

I have always been the voice of reason just some take some time to reach it.

beckett21
06-22-2004, 02:34 PM
DaDawg the voice of reason? Will wonders ever cease? :redneck

I have always been the voice of reason just some take some time to reach it.
OK, let's not push it.....:unsure: