PDA

View Full Version : Mike Jackson Sucks, Get Rid of Him Tomorrow Morning

Nard
06-22-2004, 01:03 AM
What is with all the hate towards MJ? Every post has MJ and then Politte being the worst in the pen and needing to be kicked off.

Where the **** does this **** come from? Take a look at the stats for this month:

Jun. 02 at OAK - 1.0 IP, 0 ER

Jun. 05 at SEA - 1.0 IP, 0 ER

Jun. 06 at SEA - 0.1 IP, 0 ER

All looks good so far.

Jun. 08 vs PHI - 1.0 IP, 5 ER

We were up by, what, seven runs? It's not like he gave up all 5 runs on one pitch. They chose to leave him in there into the next inning when he clearly wasn't hot that night. Maybe it was because we were UP BY SEVEN?

Jun. 11 vs ATL - 1.1 IP, 0 ER

Jun. 15 at FLO - 1.0 IP, 1 ER

Allowed one run in the 8th after we came back to tie it up. This was one inning after the Marlins surged and scored 3 runs in the 7th. MJ did a decent job calming them down. And we won the game.

Jun. 18 at MON - 0.1 IP, 0 ER

Jun. 19 at MON - 1.0 IP, 1 ER

Montreal scored every single inning coming into this one. It was the 6th. He didn't blow the game or anything.

Jun. 21 vs CLE - 0.2 IP, 1 ER

Not his fault Caballo/Sandy botched the automatic out at home plate. MJ got the shallow popup, what else?

I see two "costly" outings for MJ here, with the Florida one being the only significant one. Ever since the Philly game people have been calling for his head. Why? Look at the ****ing numbers. He's solid. His win-loss record is still 2-0. If you want the real villains look at the guys with losses like Cotts and Politte.

Lay off MJ.

The Cheat
06-22-2004, 01:25 AM
http://baseballprospectus.com/statistics/rrereport04.html#teamstat

(scroll down to reach the white sox) -- Click on the headings of each category to get an explanation of the statistic.

Mike Jackson has been the worst reliever on the sox at preventing inherited runners from scoring. (IRP on the list.)

Nard
06-22-2004, 01:28 AM
So he's got the lowest (EIR(sS,P)-EIR(sF, P)-IR) / pe(P)

That means a helluva lot.

The Cheat
06-22-2004, 01:40 AM
So he's got the lowest (EIR(sS,P)-EIR(sF, P)-IR) / pe(P)

That means a helluva lot.It's an evaluation to that factors in a whole helluva lot.

It takes the situation in which a reliever enters the game(outs & runners position), the pitchers effectiveness while in the game (outs recorded, runners scored, runners postition when reliever leaves) while compensating for the park factor to evaluate how well a pitcher performed.

Mike Jackson is the worst on the team at preventing inheritted runners from scoring. That is not debatable.

Nard
06-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Okay. So he's real bad at holding inherited runners. So don't put him in when there's runners on. Would you agree that he's not as bad as everyone is saying he is (like "kick him off the team" bad?)

MUsoxfan
06-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Would you agree that he's not as bad as everyone is saying he is (like "kick him off the team" bad?)
Yes....he's bad. In my mind I concede the game everytime we're in a close situation and we need a hold or an inning without giving the opposition any more runs. Tonight was a good example of that. He stinks and I would like him to not be on the team anymore.

Nard
06-22-2004, 02:05 AM
A good example?! Carlos had an automatic throw home which was botched and Sandy still had an automatic out which was botched. MJ got the job done.

MUsoxfan
06-22-2004, 02:10 AM
I don't recall a MJ 1-2-3 inning. Do you?

Nard
06-22-2004, 02:35 AM
A MJ 1-2-3 inning the whole season? He's had a ton of them.

TornLabrum
06-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Don't give up hope. The Vic Darrenbourg Era has begun (as soon as the scoreboard operators figure out how to spell his name).

The Cheat
06-23-2004, 09:07 PM
I told you he was the worst player on the sox with inheritted runners.

He just let as many score as Neal Cotts has all season on his first pitch of the night.

:angry: Mike Jackson sucks.

RKMeibalane
06-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Another one of those "the sky is falling" threads. Ugh!

duke of dorwood
06-23-2004, 09:12 PM
He was good in April

Not as good in May

Pathetic in June

Clearly has nothing left-as stated here 4 bad appearances ago

MRKARNO
06-23-2004, 09:14 PM
No not really. Just a thread pointing out a (often times fatal) flaw in our bullpen

Hangar18
06-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Yes....he's bad. In my mind I concede the game everytime we're in a close situation and we need a hold or an inning without giving the opposition any more runs. Tonight was a good example of that. He stinks and I would like him to not be on the team anymore.
This post by MUsoxfan was 2 days ago....... I saw the Bases loaded this evening.............I saw MJ warming up...and then called in............And I Laughed and quickly turned the channel. My sister and niece asked why I turned the game off, I was going to miss the game. I calmly explained that MJ has sucked for quite some time, and that EVERY TIME this guy Comes in
to the game either TIED or Us DOWN by a run or so .............HE PUTS IT OUT OF REACH ...or P.O.O.R. We watched a little of the Cardinal game, got sommthing to drink, helped carry some groceries up the stairs. Finally,
my sister asked how was I sure that he WASNT GOOD, we turned the game back........INDIANS 9 SOX 5. My sister wondered how I knew that was going to happen. Told her I know this team very well. Now if MURPH were a SOX FAN, he wouldve been RAILING on this guy for weeks, tomorrows show dedicated to HOW MUCH MIKE JACKSON SUCKS.

Hangar18
06-23-2004, 09:35 PM
I really really really really dont like this guy. He was great in the 1980's..........
but his time has come and gone. How many games between JACKSON and KOCH can we say Escaped us? Remember that Yankee game we ALMOST came back and won...........but luckily for them, JACKSON came in and gave them some important insurance runs. That Expo game the other nite, We ALMOST came back and won.......but luckily for them, JACKSON came in and gave them some Important insurance runs.

A. Cavatica
06-23-2004, 09:39 PM
He does need to go. The whole pen is a mess after Shingo and Marte.

Jackson is 39, and his 5.40 ERA is two runs higher than his career average. He's done! I'll take my chances with Bajenaru (1.01 ERA at Birmingham with 14.5 strikeouts per nine innings!), or Majewski, or Santiago, or even Fields not-the-first-round pick (1.57 with 10.0 K/9 IP).

Darensbourg is a 33-year old with 281 appearances (274 innings) and a 5.09 ERA. Compare to Wunsch: age 31, 212 games, 153 innings, 3.64 ERA. If Wunsch is hurt, this is the right role to break in Munoz.

Politte is 30 and has a 4.60 career ERA in 204 games (286 innings). He's been as bad as Jackson (5.48 ERA), and even if he comes back to his career averages, he's nothing special.

Cotts and Adkins could be OK in long relief (on short leashes), but only because it's not practical to replace everyone, and at least these two are young & cheap.

duke of dorwood
06-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Adkins is going to have to be used late in games-they got to figure out how to use Cotts-Jackson is DONE-

Can you spell DISARRAY?

JayT
06-23-2004, 09:49 PM
I agree with the main point here - Jackson's time has ended...

Why do we suffer through this? Why can't Kenny make it happen and get a bullpen together? I can't handle it. The Montreal game killed me - tonight was a joke (one pitch - four runs)...

wah......:whiner:

row18
06-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Get rid of billy jean, and the rest of the bullpen

Whitesox029
06-23-2004, 10:54 PM
http://baseballprospectus.com/statistics/rrereport04.html#teamstat

(scroll down to reach the white sox) -- Click on the headings of each category to get an explanation of the statistic.

Mike Jackson has been the worst reliever on the sox at preventing inherited runners from scoring. (IRP on the list.)

Hey The Cheat... I'm going to buy you a pizza for that one.

Anyway I agree. Jackson has to go. He's obviously washed up. Adkins has been a heck of a lot better. I can only recall one bad outing from him that cost us, and that was the extra inning game at home versus Cleveland that we let slip away.

Jjav829
06-23-2004, 11:08 PM
I can't stand watching him anymore. I turn the TV off when he comes in. I really cannot watch him anymore. Whenever he comes in, I expect the worse. He should be gone tomorrow and bring a real reliever in here.

TornLabrum
06-23-2004, 11:18 PM
He was good in April

Not as good in May

Pathetic in June

Clearly has nothing left-as stated here 4 bad appearances ago
Yeah, I'd say it's looking like a trend.

kittle42
06-23-2004, 11:25 PM
No it isn't. Jackson is horrible. That does not mean the season is over. But he must go.

Bucktown
06-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Billy Koch pitched an inning of scoreless relief tonight. Maybe we can get him back instead of Jackson.

Rocky Soprano
06-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Mike Jackson sucks! :angry:

Baby Fisk
06-24-2004, 08:48 AM
I saw the Bases loaded this evening.............I saw MJ warming up...and then called in............And I Laughed and quickly turned the channel....

...we turned the game back........INDIANS 9 SOX 5. My sister wondered how I knew that was going to happen. Told her I know this team very well.
That's cosmic. I had the exact same thought at the exact same time, so I went for the whiskey. Moments later, sure enough... :cool:

bobj4400
06-24-2004, 09:15 AM
When MJ came in last night, I wrote Gas Can Mike in on my scorecard. Needless to say, he lived up to his nickname...