PDA

View Full Version : Throw It Back, jackass

MrRoboto83
06-22-2004, 12:43 AM
I was at the Cleveland game Monday night and after a couple of long dingers by Cleveland I was wore out. I was too busy shouting at mindless Sox fans why they were not at Wrigley. Since when have we started throwing the balls back and chanting that? I was yelling non stop "Where the Hell do you people think you are?" SHUT UP!!! they must have listened cause no balls were thrown back. I was very sick over the whole ordeal.

CubKilla
06-22-2004, 01:03 AM
I was at the Cleveland game Monday night and after a couple of long dingers by Cleveland I was wore out. I was too busy shouting at mindless Sox fans why they were not at Wrigley. Since when have we started throwing the balls back and chanting that? I was yelling non stop "Where the Hell do you people think you are?" SHUT UP!!! they must have listened cause no balls were thrown back. I was very sick over the whole ordeal.
Ever since last October, it has been, for the most part, bizarro world baseball in Chicago :whiner: .

JB98
06-22-2004, 01:23 AM
Like I always say, "Keep no balls, have no balls."

npdempse
06-22-2004, 01:23 AM
There was a pretty good contingent of folks tonight yelling to NOT throw it back. Actually, it was a great crowd except for the crazy old lady sitting next to us, wearing yarn for a wig and smelling like old tennis shoes...

bartmanisgod
06-22-2004, 01:27 AM
There was a pretty good contingent of folks tonight yelling to NOT throw it back. Actually, it was a great crowd except for the crazy old lady sitting next to us, wearing yarn for a wig and smelling like old tennis shoes...

Hey leave my mom alone:)

Irishsox1
06-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Throwing the ball back is something that almost every place does now. I don't agree with it, but its a popular trend now. And since its a trend, it will most likly fade away with time.

I'm going to start a trend of my own, I'm going to throw the foul balls back, lets say Sammy Sosa hits a foul ball and I get it, then I'm gonna stand up and make people chant "Throw it back, throw it back!" and heave it on the field.

akingamongstmen
06-22-2004, 08:28 AM
This big guy next to me kept yelling "Throw it Back!" and other moronic things the whole game. To make things worse, he was holding a sign in a pathetic attempt to get on TV (I don't remember what it said, but I do remember that it sucked).

On the bright side, yesterday was the first time I was legally able to drink at a Sox game. Good times. :gulp:

Railsplitter
06-22-2004, 08:38 AM
The June 11 game I attended saw somebody removed from the park for throwing a plactic bag, of the kind you used carry whatever you bought at some store, onto the field. Why is throwing a baseball (which can break bones if thrown hard enough) considered acceptable?

wdelaney72
06-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Idiots have been doing this for years at the Cell. Yes it's wrong, but all you can do is hope people will wisen up.

Philo-Sox-er
06-22-2004, 09:44 AM
We at WSI should take an active role in stopping this! If you go to a game, bring a sign that reads:

1) Don't Throw It Back; This is Not Flubs Park!
2) Throwing it back is an act of Terrorism!
3) Sox Fans Know the Game; Don't Throw It Back!

Or something to that effect. Maybe if these morons realized they were mimicking Flubs fans and their stupid, ignorant tradition that disrespects the game itself, they might stop. Maybe this could catch on everywhere where it has become "trendy" except, of course, loser park!

voodoochile
06-22-2004, 10:39 AM
We at WSI should take an active role in stopping this! If you go to a game, bring a sign that reads:

1) Don't Throw It Back; This is Not Flubs Park!
2) Throwing it back is an act of Terrorism!
3) Sox Fans Know the Game; Don't Throw It Back!

Or something to that effect. Maybe if these morons realized they were mimicking Flubs fans and their stupid, ignorant tradition that disrespects the game itself, they might stop. Maybe this could catch on everywhere where it has become "trendy" except, of course, loser park!
How about:

Them: Throw back fake baseballs
Us: Give it to the kid next to you
Sox Pride!

Blob
06-22-2004, 10:42 AM
We always tell people not to throw it back! That is something stupid started by stupid people.

If you don't want the dumb ball give it to a kid and make their day.

Cubbiesuck13
06-22-2004, 10:57 AM
i wonder how they would feel if you threw a ball back....at a random time in the game. i would throw a SoSo hr back, at him the next innning. and how about catching a ball at wrigley hit by the home team? no one expects you to throw it back right? doint it then would be ok.

harwar
06-22-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm just waiting for the day at wrigley when someone throws an oppositions homerun ball back into the park from waveland ave.after waiting more than 5 minutes and it hits one of their beloved in the back of the head.I watch a lot of baseball and i've seen this one or two times when it narrowly missed an outfielder while he had his back turned.That will teach the bastards.

Cellview22
06-22-2004, 11:17 AM
I'm just waiting for the day at wrigley when someone throws an oppositions homerun ball back into the park from waveland ave.after waiting more than 5 minutes and it hits one of their beloved in the back of the head.I watch a lot of baseball and i've seen this one or two times when it narrowly missed an outfielder while he had his back turned.That will teach the bastards.
Even if someone was seriously injured or killed as a result of getting hit in the head, would it make the papers? NOOO! The Cubune and Cub-Times wouldn't want to tarnish the image of the Friendly Confines. We probably wouldn't hear about it. :cool:

pearso66
06-22-2004, 12:25 PM
While I don't agree with throwing a ball back, it would be hilarious to throw a Cubs homerun back at Wrigley. If there is any Sox fan goin to Wrigley and is sitting in the bleachers, bring a ball or 2, and throw one on the field if a homer is hit near you. It would be great.

daveeym
06-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Since this whole site is generally in agreement on the issue, and most other sox fans are also, i really don't get why so many balls are thrown back at the cell.

ode to veeck
06-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Throwing the ball back is something that almost every place does now. I don't agree with it, but its a popular trend now. And since its a trend, it will most likly fade away with time
yeah, like the wave?! been waiting decades already on that one to die

ode to veeck
06-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Voodoo wrote:

How about:

Them: Throw back fake baseballs
Us: Give it to the kid next to you
Sox Pride!
Nice one Voodoo! I can't wait to see this one in the new Sox commercial.

Any more ideas? How about:

Them: blame lifelong fan for playoff collapse (video: Scrubs' SS blows DP ball in game 6)
Us: give our weak link SS the walking papers (video: Royce with ball bouncing off his chest)

Sox Pride!

cubhater
06-22-2004, 02:47 PM
The June 11 game I attended saw somebody removed from the park for throwing a plactic bag, of the kind you used carry whatever you bought at some store, onto the field. Why is throwing a baseball (which can break bones if thrown hard enough) considered acceptable?
I don't get it either. All stadiums make a public address announcement that throwing objects on the field of play will get the person ejected.

However, I'm still waiting for the chance to throw back a meaningless Sosa HR against the Sox at Wrigley just to mock the fans.:gulp:

Philo-Sox-er
06-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Every year I go to Arizona for Spring Training. One of my favorite memories was about 4 years ago, we were in Tucson and caught the Cubs playing the Diamondbacks. Todd Dunwoody was the CF for the Flubbies and my friends and I were sitting in the grass by right-center field. There were these 4 or 5 little kids (wearing Sox hats, I might add) asking players for baseballs before the game got started and so we were yelling to Dunwoody to give the kids a ball. He didn't before the game started, so we kept yelling at him the entire game--the beer and the sun elevated the loudness of our chants. Then in the seventh ining or so, he told us when he came out to take his position that if he got one he'd give it to the kids. Sure enough, a long fly ball is hit to him in deep center. Dunwoody caught it, turned and tossed it into the stands for the kids--problem was, it was only the 2nd out and there was a player on 2nd! We got so into his head, he screwed the pooch.

To make matters worse, the ball he threw went over the kids' heads and some college kid Flubs fan got it and was acting like he was going to give it to his girlfriend. We turned and told him to give it to the kids, which he did with a big frown on his face.

At any rate, don't throw it back--give it to the kids!

fledgedrallycap
06-23-2004, 10:19 AM
I may be mistaken, but I could of sworn while watching SportCenter show a homer by Cleveland; a Sox fan was cocked and ready to throw when someone behind him grabbed his arm! This wasn't shown intensionally, so they didn't keep the clip rolling; but did anyone witness this?

SoxFan78
06-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I may be mistaken, but I could of sworn while watching SportCenter show a homer by Cleveland; a Sox fan was cocked and ready to throw when someone behind him grabbed his arm! This wasn't shown intensionally, so they didn't keep the clip rolling; but did anyone witness this?
I saw this on Sports Center too. It was a really quick clip, but its nice to see that Sox fans aren't letting that stuff happen in their park.

kittle42
06-23-2004, 11:35 AM
I saw this on Sports Center too. It was a really quick clip, but its nice to see that Sox fans aren't letting that stuff happen in their park.
Bull. Every Indian home run last night was thrown back to a raucous roar from the surrounding fans. Those people are all idiots.

fledgedrallycap
06-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Bull. Every Indian home run last night was thrown back to a raucous roar from the surrounding fans. Those people are all idiots.
It may of been thrown back, but someone attempted to stop it....

StockdaleForVeep
06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Throwing the ball back is something that almost every place does now. I don't agree with it, but its a popular trend now. And since its a trend, it will most likly fade away with time.

I'm going to start a trend of my own, I'm going to throw the foul balls back, lets say Sammy Sosa hits a foul ball and I get it, then I'm gonna stand up and make people chant "Throw it back, throw it back!" and heave it on the field.

The wave still exists, wasnt that a FAD?

HURT35
06-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Best way to end this crap. Start tossing morons who throw balls back onto the field. Also, when they play the messages from the players during the games reminding people how to behave add in "throwing things onto the field is illegal"

Philo-Sox-er
06-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Best way to end this crap. Start tossing morons who throw balls back onto the field. Also, when they play the messages from the players during the games reminding people how to behave add in "throwing things onto the field is illegal"

No. Be more specific. Say, "Throwing home run balls back onto the field is illegal, and stupid!"