PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Harrelson Absurdity

chisoxt
06-21-2004, 11:21 PM
I still can't get out of my mind when Hawk has his little pissing match with Boers he said that The Sox with Ozzie and Kenny will go on a run where they will contend the next several years. That is horse bleep. When you see the nice core that Cleveland has (all home-grown talent) and the good farm system that Minny has,and you compare it to the hacks we bring up, is there any future for this team?

ma-gaga
06-21-2004, 11:23 PM
I still can't get out of my mind when Hawk has his little pissing match with Boers he said that The Sox with Ozzie and Kenny will go on a run where they will contend the next several years. That is horse bleep. When you see the nice core that Cleveland has (all home-grown talent) and the good farm system that Minny has,and you compare it to the hacks we bring up, is there any future for this team?
What's he supposed to say?

:hawk
"yeah, I hate to say it Sox fans, but this is it. After this year Cleveland's back. And god, that Detroit team looks dangerous, they could make a run at the Wildcard." "Crimney..."

Iguana775
06-21-2004, 11:25 PM
the thing that really pisses me off is that hardly any of the BIG prospects ever live up to nearly the potential. we'll get surprised by a Maggs, Burly or Marte but when was the last time we had a big prospect live up to the billing? Frank? i am sick of potential.

RedPinStripes
06-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Good point.

Philo-Sox-er
06-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Many teams have this same problem. It is hard to say. The Indians tried Brandon Phillips (who had the arrogance to believe all the hype surrounding him and had his equipment shipped to Spring Training last year addressed to "The Team's Future") last year and he failed miserably. He is still a top prospect and is expected to contribute at some point. This is all to say, however, that many teams experience these growing pains with minor league talent. Sometimes it takes years for these players to grow into their own. We are thoring guys into the mix during a playoff pursuit and expecting them to perform immediately. The usual strategy is to put them in where they can learn without the added pressure. Look at how the Padres have been batting Khalil Greene 9th all season--he'd made great #2 batter eventually. We are bringing guys up from AA and asking them to become a starter.

Daver
06-21-2004, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=chisoxt]I still can't get out of my mind when Hawk has his little pissing match with Boers he said that The Sox with Ozzie and Kenny will go on a run where they will contend the next several years. That is horse bleep. When you see the nice core that Cleveland has (all home-grown talent)QUOTE]

Home grown talent?

Most of it came from the Expos in the Colon trade.

mmmmmbeeer
06-21-2004, 11:38 PM
Cleveland had a nice run of draft picks. Due to our non-winning winning ways we've not had cream of the crop picks. May sound like a bad excuse, but it really does make a difference.

CubKilla
06-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Hawk is a tool. He revealed himself to be nothing more than a mouthpiece schilling for JR and Co. as evidenced by his comments during Saturday's thrashing by the Expos.

jabrch
06-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Nope - no future. Quit being a fan now. Save yourself the aggrevation if this is how you handle a streak of bad ball.

Tekijawa
06-22-2004, 09:56 AM
You'll change your tune when Vic Darensbourg is World Series MVP!!!

OK, Jerry we've hit 30K more than a couple of times this season, you promised us a contender... We have a couple big emotional series commin up over the next two weeks... where is our cointender?:angry:

gosox41
06-22-2004, 10:01 AM

You clearly don't understand anything about farm systems and what magic KW is working down there.

Again, I can't find the teal key. I don't things are as bad, but the Sox have done an absolutely horrible job at developing pitching. I keep repeating it becomes it keeps being a problem. KW has had 3 years to find 5 starting pitchers. He inherited Buehle and Garland. Give him credit for Loaiza. But what else. He's run drafts since 2000. And when I mean run, I mean he definitely has a say in what direction the team is going and he does hire the people that work under him.

It still makes me wonder why the Sox were afraid to bring up one of 2 OF prospects when Magglio went down and instead went with a 3rd string catcher hitting .220 in AAA. Now Burke hasn't hurt himself, thankfully he's had limited at bats. But Perez/GLoad/Rowand are not good hitters and can't be expected to sub for Magglio. Borchard or Reed could come up here and do better, and maybe even take over CF when Magglio comes back.

But that was shot down and I was name called. Silly me, I thought a farm system was there for instances like this. But instead I had to hear about wasting options on Reed/Borchard. Haven't we wasted options on Diaz/Munoz/Rauch and their 1-2 start efforts. Why is it only wasting options for the OF'ers but these same people aren't criticizing the gross misuse of our young pitching?

It says a lot that KW (or Ozzie depending on who you believe makes the final decision on player personnel) didn't have enough confidence to see one of 2 potential stud OFer's. I bash KW. But here I am saying how to KW picks should have been given a shot over Jamie Burke.

Bob

Tekijawa
06-22-2004, 10:38 AM
But Perez/GLoad/Rowand are not good hitters and can't be expected to sub for Magglio.Bob
For all the ripping that Rowand takes on this board I'm supprised how little Gload takes in the outfield, every time a Ball is hit to him in Right he's nowhere to be seen, I mean off the screen when the ball lands. He might be the Paul Konerko of the OF's Ocasionally nice bat but ZERO SPEED....

Another question because everything seems to get hit in the gaps against us are our Out Fielders that bad or are they just placed wrong? It seems everytime we hit it to the out field some one is there or even two out fielders crossing infront of one another, but when the Sox are out there just about everything lands in the Gaps? Is it just me or do other people notice this too?

34 Inch Stick
06-22-2004, 12:33 PM
We have average to below average speed at every outfield position. A fast centerfielder can make up for a lot of inadequacies of corner outfielders. Willie would seem to be the best answer in CF, but, while fast, is not smooth.

CubKilla
06-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Nope - no future. Quit being a fan now. Save yourself the aggrevation if this is how you handle a streak of bad ball.
Our current "bad streak" has been my almost 30 year lifetime.

PaulDrake
06-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Our current "bad streak" has been my almost 30 year lifetime. At least I'm old enough to remember an actual World Series. "Bad streak", indeed. 45 years since a pennant and 87 years since a championship. No end in sight. Not this years team for sure.

fquaye149
06-22-2004, 06:40 PM
yep we lost to the ace of the Indians when our converted reliever was on the mound and we had a bad week of interleague

Time to settle in for a lifetime of 3rd place in the AL central

soxwon
06-22-2004, 06:43 PM
i dont care- Hawk is very entertaining, and a great sox fan.
he is one of baseballs best.

jeremyb1
06-22-2004, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't take our farm system over the Tribe's or the Twin's but this rash, uninformed bashing of our minor league system makes me ill. First of all, the Tribe is in rebuilding mode and has been for several years now. They traded off high calliber players like Shuey and Colon to acquire prospects and have played poorly enough to earn good draft position. I'd certainly hope they have a more promising young core than we do. That's the reason that we're at worst just as likely as the Twins of winning the division while Cleveland most likely won't finish within 8 or 10 games of first.

As far as the Twins go, I think I'd probably take our young players over theirs despite their strong system. We have Garland, Olivo, Buehrle, Uribe, Harris, and Crede as established big leaguers. Currently the Twins only have Lohse, Mauer, Santana, and Rivas. Players such as Hunter, Ford, Jones, Radke, etc. are already in their late 20s. They have the better players in the minors most likely but we have some good ones too and we have the edge in young players in the majors.

Finally, what is wrong with our minor league system? I agree it's lacked depth the past few seasons and is far from spectacular right now but I don't see anyone listing legitimate problems with our system. I know people like Randar, A Cavatia, and myself to a lesser degree actually follow the performance of our minor leaguers but I have my doubts about some of the people whining in this thread. If you have actual reasons lets hear them and prepared to be laughed at if you say "well Munoz looked really bad in that start last week". If I find you a bad game by Mauer or Sabathia can we say the Twins and Indians also have terrible young players?