PDA

View Full Version : Koch Gone. Now Jackson & Politte should be next.

Hangar18
06-21-2004, 04:38 PM
These Pyromaniacs are NOT helping this team at all. I listened to the game
on Radio, and you could hear ROONEY getting visibly FRUSTRATED with the fact that these 2 Bozo's couldnt STOP the mighty 20-45 Expos from Scoring.
He and Farmer lamented the FACT that if the SOX hadnt handed the 'xpos 9 runs, then continued to LET THEM SCORE EVERY INNING, they wouldve won that game.

jabrch
06-21-2004, 04:39 PM
What do you want us to do Hangar? Go to a 4 man rotation with a 2 man bullpen?

Kogs35
06-21-2004, 04:42 PM
What do you want us to do Hangar? Go to a 4 man rotation with a 2 man bullpen?
get some bullpen help?

joeynach
06-21-2004, 04:42 PM
These Pyromaniacs are NOT helping this team at all. I listened to the game
on Radio, and you could hear ROONEY getting visibly FRUSTRATED with the fact that these 2 Bozo's couldnt STOP the mighty 20-45 Expos from Scoring.
He and Farmer lamented the FACT that if the SOX hadnt handed the 'xpos 9 runs, then continued to LET THEM SCORE EVERY INNING, they wouldve won that game.
Its so true, these guys offer nothing on the table that can get outs. All us sox fans have been saying for probably about a month now these guys stink. Politte has one of the flattest fastballs i have seen, which just so happens to be the prefered pitch of the major league hitter. Jackson has nothing, his slider is decent but its dangerous if thats your only good pitch becuase all you have to do is leave it just a little to much over the plate to a righty and its gone, plus his fastball is just a straight 87 mph meatball. We need a Gordon type pitcher bad, as the team is assembled at this point (i have said it over and over) we will be lucky to be .500 and a mere 5 games back of the over talented twins.

Foulke You
06-21-2004, 04:47 PM
I agree, middle relief has been a problem for us recently. Polite and Jackson haven't been getting the job done and I'd be lying if I said I felt comfortable with these two coming into a close game. I would even throw Cotts in that mix too because I don't feel confident with him out there either. Polite looks like he has a live arm but struggles with his control. Jackson has been giving up a lot of long balls recently. The back end of our bullpen is strong though. Marte and Takatsu have been throwing the ball very well recently. If we can put those two in tandem with a couple equally dominant middle relief guys, we will have ourselves a good pen.

Hangar18
06-21-2004, 04:48 PM
:bkoch:

"Chaos, Destruction, Mayhem. My work here is done"

poorme
06-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Bullpen = biggest problem. Even more so than another starter in my opinion.

DaveIsHere
06-21-2004, 04:53 PM
I agree, middle relief has been a problem for us recently. Polite and Jackson haven't been getting the job done and I'd be lying if I said I felt comfortable with these two coming into a close game. I would even throw Cotts in that mix too because I don't feel confident with him out there either. Polite looks like he has a live arm but struggles with his control. Jackson has been giving up a lot of long balls recently. The back end of our bullpen is strong though. Marte and Takatsu have been throwing the ball very well recently. If we can put those two in tandem with a couple equally dominant middle relief guys, we will have ourselves a good pen.
Everyone has it all wrong-We are going to ride Pollite's and JAckson's arms into the promiseland, mark my words!!

jabrch
06-21-2004, 05:02 PM
get some bullpen help?
Have we missed out on the flood of relievers who have been traded so far?

Hangar18
06-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Have we missed out on the flood of relievers who have been traded so far?

:reinsy

"If you Fans think we were Going to the World Series with Foulke, Gordon & Sullivan........YOUR CRAZY. Besides.....Look at all the $$$$$$ we SAVED
by not signing them. I do have a Fiduciary Responbility here you know!!!!"

DSpivack
06-21-2004, 05:08 PM
It's certainly no excuse, but pretty much every team in contention is looking for bullpen help. Getting a quality relief pitcher certainly won't be easy.

BigEdWalsh
06-21-2004, 05:47 PM
It's certainly no excuse, but pretty much every team in contention is looking for bullpen help. Getting a quality relief pitcher certainly won't be easy.
:D: Vic Darensbourg to the rescue!!!!
:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

TaylorStSox
06-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Its so true, these guys offer nothing on the table that can get outs. All us sox fans have been saying for probably about a month now these guys stink. Politte has one of the flattest fastballs i have seen, which just so happens to be the prefered pitch of the major league hitter. Jackson has nothing, his slider is decent but its dangerous if thats your only good pitch becuase all you have to do is leave it just a little to much over the plate to a righty and its gone, plus his fastball is just a straight 87 mph meatball. We need a Gordon type pitcher bad, as the team is assembled at this point (i have said it over and over) we will be lucky to be .500 and a mere 5 games back of the over talented twins.
Politte has the best arm on this staff. I'm not sure what you mean. He has the livest fastball of anyone the Sox have. Garland has the best "stuff," followed by Elo.

Politte just doesn't know how to pitch inside. I don't care if you're Randy Johnson. If you can't pitch inside, you're toast.

Nard
06-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Almost every pen in the majors sucks. Look at how many middle relievers we've used and abused this year.

The only weak link in our pen is Politte.

MJ was dominant early in the season, and has been struggling SOMEWHAT lately. But the situations people were giving him the most crap for was like that game against Philly where we were up by 6 runs and he gave up a bunch. Who gives a ****? The only significant struggle he's had lately was that Montreal game. MJ is solid.

Cotts is just average but consistent. You always get the same outta him, average performance.

Philo-Sox-er
06-21-2004, 06:25 PM
I am frustrated with the recent performance of the team, too. But in reading WSI, one would come to the conclusion we need a whole new team essentially. We need a closer, starter(s), offensive help, a CF, and now long to middle relief. Of course. The nature of the game is that no team can have the perfect player at each position. Though I agree with the sentiments expressed, I am also trying to be patient and see if this team can put together a run and limit the holes that need to be filled. Obviously we can't get rid of all of these guys and get new players. So we need, and hopefully KW and Ozzie are working this out, to identify the one or two pieces that will put the club over the top and spark the guys who are under-performing at the time being.

iwannago
06-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Where is Kelly Wunch? What about Grilli in the pen?

StillMissOzzie
06-21-2004, 06:51 PM
I have been wholly unimpressed with Cliff Pollitte so far. He has been the second coming of Alan Embree, IMO. If it's not a walk, it's a bunch of fast,straight pitches that usually travel a long ways. I think he should be the next one to model someone else's uni.

SMO
:gulp:

mjmcend
06-21-2004, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=Nard]Almost every pen in the majors sucks. Look at how many middle relievers we've used and abused this year.

MJ was dominant early in the season, and has been struggling SOMEWHAT lately. But the situations people were giving him the most crap for was like that game against Philly where we were up by 6 runs and he gave up a bunch. Who gives a ****? The only significant struggle he's had lately was that Montreal game. MJ is solid.

[QUOTE]

Over the last month Jackson has pitched 10.1 innings and has a 7.84 ERA. I wouldn't call that somewhat struggling. That is pretty consistent struggling.

mjmcend
06-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Where is Kelly Wunch? What about Grilli in the pen?
Kelly is injured and not on the 40-man roster anymore. But when he gets back, I believe he should be given a chance in the majors again. I mean what do we have to lose?