PDA

View Full Version : Details of Koch trade??

joeynach
06-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know the details of the koch trade. Like how much of his salary the sox or marlins are paying. I hope we are not picking up his entire salary. At worst i hope we are only paying half of the 6 mil he is due. That way we save about 3 mil to go out and get a garcia or sheets.

SEALgep
06-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know the details of the koch trade. Like how much of his salary the sox or marlins are paying. I hope we are not picking up his entire salary. At worst i hope we are only paying half of the 6 mil he is due. That way we save about 3 mil to go out and get a garcia or sheets.We saved about $2 million and countless other millions in health care from the dramatic decrease of heart attacks among fans and staff. We acquired a pretty good prospect who has good potential as a utility man next year, and the money saved will help. Garcia, or whatever pitcher acquired, salary shouldn't be much of an issue as KW was given the green light to get a starter via trade from JR. Koch's saved money certainly helps, but it was probably a non issue, and more like a lucky break that someone wanted him.

steff
06-21-2004, 01:03 PM
"Koch was still owed $3.7 million of his $6,375,000 contract for this season, and the White Sox included cash considerations thought to be more than half of that total"

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040618&content_id=773683&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Randar68
06-21-2004, 01:35 PM
"Koch was still owed $3.7 million of his $6,375,000 contract for this season, and the White Sox included cash considerations thought to be more than half of that total"

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040618&content_id=773683&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp
Speaking of Koch, he picked-up the loss yesterday for the Fish giving up 2 ER in 2 IP, making that a total of 3IP, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 K's, and 1 HR in his 2 Marlin outings.

Funny, we haven't seen those ridiculously idiotic Marlins trolls around lately, have we?

daveeym
06-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Speaking of Koch, he picked-up the loss yesterday for the Fish giving up 2 ER in 2 IP, making that a total of 3IP, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 K's, and 1 HR in his 2 Marlin outings.

Funny, we haven't seen those ridiculously idiotic Marlins trolls around lately, have we?
A few of our more antagonistic people should go over there, apologize to the main board, and then give hell to the trolls.

Blob
06-21-2004, 02:15 PM
We saved about $2 million and countless other millions in health care from the dramatic decrease of heart attacks among fans and staff. We acquired a pretty good prospect who has good potential as a utility man next year, and the money saved will help. Garcia, or whatever pitcher acquired, salary shouldn't be much of an issue as KW was given the green light to get a starter via trade from JR. Koch's saved money certainly helps, but it was probably a non issue, and more like a lucky break that someone wanted him.
We also saved a dozen losses...

ma-gaga
06-21-2004, 04:15 PM

I read (off the "hated" Marlins Board) that they only picked up $500k of salary for Koch. I think they had an official link to one of their local newspapers. Even for half a season of him at $500k, and only giving up a non-prospect, it was still a crappy trade for them.

It's funny going over there though. They are terrible. They laugh at how easily they are going to "pound Texas". And what a steal of a trade that was. And what a brilliant pitching coach they have. And what a great team they have. Then they whine like babies once their bullpen falls apart. oh.... It's delicious.

Easily one of the more amusing things I've seen since the Lakers fell apart. oh I mean, since the Lakers were 'robbed' by the refs...

jackbrohamer
06-21-2004, 04:46 PM
It's amazing to me that they put him in a tight ballgame.

beckett21
06-21-2004, 04:54 PM
A few of our more antagonistic people should go over there, apologize to the main board, and then give hell to the trolls.
I posted a rebuttal over there in a thread that one of OUR members (former perhaps?) started over there ripping WSI.

They do not warrant an apology. I gave them more than they deserved and was more than cordial and generous.

Personally I refuse to stoop to their level and go trolling over there. I don't like when it's done here, so I will afford them the same courtesy. Personally I was more offended by Sox fans taking potshots at this site than anything else.

The facts and the numbers will bear out the truth. Take comfort in that.

soxtalker
06-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Notice how one Sox fan (the one who trashed WSI) spoke as if his opinion -- regretting the loss of Koch -- represented most Sox fans. I posted a message, (very politely) indicating that I hadn't found too many fans who would agree with him. But it brings up a good point -- one or two fans can give the reputation to the entire group. Now, my impression was that there were only a small number of fans on their board who were antagonistic towards us. Let's not increase that number. There was a lot of good mutual support last fall when they were playing the Cubs.

I did notice a lot of confidence on their board that their coaching staff could turn Koch around. That's probably what a WS victory will do. It reminded me of the later years of the Bulls dynasty here. I almost couldn't stand to listen to the talk shows to hear my fellow Bulls fans who thought that we would win just because it was our right. (The first year was so much more fun.) The Marlins had a few trades turn out fabulously well, and I suspect that some of their fans have come to expect it. Of course, it doesn't always work that way ...

beckett21
06-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Notice how one Sox fan (the one who trashed WSI) spoke as if his opinion -- regretting the loss of Koch -- represented most Sox fans. I posted a message, (very politely) indicating that I hadn't found too many fans who would agree with him. But it brings up a good point -- one or two fans can give the reputation to the entire group. Now, my impression was that there were only a small number of fans on their board who were antagonistic towards us. Let's not increase that number. There was a lot of good mutual support last fall when they were playing the Cubs.

I did notice a lot of confidence on their board that their coaching staff could turn Koch around. That's probably what a WS victory will do. It reminded me of the later years of the Bulls dynasty here. I almost couldn't stand to listen to the talk shows to hear my fellow Bulls fans who thought that we would win just because it was our right. (The first year was so much more fun.) The Marlins had a few trades turn out fabulously well, and I suspect that some of their fans have come to expect it. Of course, it doesn't always work that way ...
I agree with you. The other night was pretty wild, but there is no need at this point to go to their board and rub their noses in Koch's misadventures. All it will do is antagonize them. We know what happened yesterday, they know it, end of story. Overall their board seems decent enough. They just have a warped sense of reality because of their two WS titles in 10 years, as you mention they expect to win.

They have already been served the worst punishment. Let them stew in their own juices. We can chuckle from afar as the saga contiunes to unfold. And if Rosenthal can turn him around, then maybe he actually does have a magic wand. I doubt it.

FarWestChicago
06-21-2004, 06:09 PM
I agree with you. The other night was pretty wild, but there is no need at this point to go to their board and rub their noses in Koch's misadventures. All it will do is antagonize them. We know what happened yesterday, they know it, end of story. Overall their board seems decent enough. They just have a warped sense of reality because of their two WS titles in 10 years, as you mention they expect to win. They're decent for the most part. Two virulent trolls hit here, then CapeFish lost his head. And of course there are a few RWAC's over there going on about Evil WSI. But, what are you gonna do? We're not going to let this place turn into a zoo to please the RWAC's. And there is definitely no reason to go over there talking about Kroch. Their team stopped the Flubs last year. We owe them. And a couple dumb assed trolls attacking, and getting ass handed I might add, doesn't undo that. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

beckett21
06-21-2004, 07:23 PM
They're decent for the most part. Two virulent trolls hit here, then CapeFish lost his head. And of course there are a few RWAC's over there going on about Evil WSI. But, what are you gonna do? We're not going to let this place turn into a zoo to please the RWAC's. And there is definitely no reason to go over there talking about Kroch. Their team stopped the Flubs last year. We owe them. And a couple dumb assed trolls attacking, and getting ass handed I might add, doesn't undo that. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Right on the money as usual FWC.

:yup:

Foulke You
06-21-2004, 07:45 PM
I posted my thoughts there about the Koch trade basically telling them that I broke it to them gentle that it was a gamble and unless Billy got his velocity back, I didn't see him succeeding there. I offered up the positives that Billy brings to the clubhouse but his negatives (like getting shelled every time out) wore out his welcome in Chicago. I was surprised to see a few Marlins fans over there actually surprised that Koch was only throwing in the low '90s even after a bunch of us tried to tell them that. His velocity isn't magically going to return with a new uniform on. Oh well, I'm just glad we got rid of him before the Cubs series and the huge upcoming series against the Twins.