PDA

View Full Version : No Trades on Horizon?

Mickster
06-21-2004, 11:05 AM
With Dransfelt being sent down and Vic Darensbourg bring brought up, coupled with Munoz being sent down for Rausch, I doubt that KW has any deals he feels will get done in the immediate future (i.e. this week). Thoughts?

ndgt10
06-21-2004, 11:07 AM
My guess is that no major deals will get done until July.

joeynach
06-21-2004, 11:27 AM
My guess is that no major deals will get done until July.
Its not his fault. There are no teams out there willing to make a deal at this point. Everyone still wants to wait until July. For some reason teams like seattle, milwaukee, tampa, and cleveland all still think they have a chance and want to hold on to their talent to see if they have chance. Which we all know they dont. BUt still if one of these teams wins a series im sure the front office is like wait hold the phones lets see where this thing goes. And this will go on until the deadline. KW needs at least two new arms, a starter and releiver. But im afraid if this team is 4 or 5 out by the break no deal will be made and we will fade into the twins oblivion.

DaveIsHere
06-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Its not his fault. There are no teams out there willing to make a deal at this point. Everyone still wants to wait until July. For some reason teams like seattle, milwaukee, tampa, and cleveland all still think they have a chance and want to hold on to their talent to see if they have chance. Which we all know they dont. BUt still if one of these teams wins a series im sure the front office is like wait hold the phones lets see where this thing goes. And this will go on until the deadline. KW needs at least two new arms, a starter and releiver. But im afraid if this team is 4 or 5 out by the break no deal will be made and we will fade into the twins oblivion.Well I think we are already fading into Twins oblivion, we lost 2 0f 3 to the EXPOS..............Well at least when we fade I will have more time to spend with my wife, aaah another Sox season going going...............hopefully somewhere rather than nowhere

Lip Man 1
06-21-2004, 11:45 AM
I think Williams is doing his best. The holes on this team particularly in the pitching staff are probably keeping him up at night. But you can't make a deal if nobody else wants to make a trade and (or) if they don't want what you are offering.

Williams is in a bad spot concerning getting another starter, everyone is baseball knows the atrocious record of 5th starters the past two years and the price to get another pitcher probably keeps going up because of that desperate need.

Lip

WWIII
06-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Well I think we are already fading into Twins oblivion, we lost 2 0f 3 to the EXPOS..............Well at least when we fade I will have more time to spend with my wife, aaah another Sox season going going...............hopefully somewhere rather than nowhere
In the meantime, the Twins lost two of three to the BREWERS! This year is not like the past and we are not falling into Twins oblivion. It would have been nice to be back on top, but we're not, so let's get there now.

WWIII
06-21-2004, 12:10 PM
I mentioned in another thread the possibility that Rauch is pitching to show him off as trade bait. Possibly for a Cleveland pitcher. This is concocted from my own mind and there is nothing to support it, just specualtion, but it's fun to speculate.

SOXSINCE'70
06-21-2004, 12:18 PM
In the meantime, the Twins lost two of three to the BREWERS! This year is not like the past and we are not falling into Twins oblivion. It would have been nice to be back on top, but we're not, so let's get there now.
True,but the Brewers,at least this season,are a better team.:dtroll:

Randar68
06-21-2004, 12:30 PM
I mentioned in another thread the possibility that Rauch is pitching to show him off as trade bait. Possibly for a Cleveland pitcher. This is concocted from my own mind and there is nothing to support it, just specualtion, but it's fun to speculate.
:?:

Cleveland? All their decent pitching is young, why would they trade them? The Cleveland beat reported says Larry Dolan has said he'll add payroll when the team is ready to compete. Have you looked at the standings? They need another guy in the pen, a RH'd bat, and a starter, but they are NOT out of this division by any means. Also, why would KW trade Rauch within the division?

DaveIsHere
06-21-2004, 12:44 PM
:?:

Also, why would KW trade Rauch within the division?So we could rock him...oh wait, so we could look like minor leaguers the first time we face him.

harwar
06-21-2004, 12:47 PM
I can't remember a year recently when the teams looking to unload were so much in the driver seat.When teams like the dodgers & yankees are looking for pitching it doesn't bode well for anyone.It seems to me that all of the teams that make trades this year are going to pay higher than has been the norm historically.

Lip Man 1
06-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Harwar:

Good point...all the more reason to have your needs covered via the off season so that all you have to do is tweek not try to fill major holes. But like PHG said, that's not the way the Sox do business is it?

Lip

Flight #24
06-21-2004, 01:54 PM
I think Williams is doing his best. The holes on this team particularly in the pitching staff are probably keeping him up at night. But you can't make a deal if nobody else wants to make a trade and (or) if they don't want what you are offering.

Williams is in a bad spot concerning getting another starter, everyone is baseball knows the atrocious record of 5th starters the past two years and the price to get another pitcher probably keeps going up because of that desperate need.

LipActually, in a free market, competitive bidding system, it's hard to "hold someone up". Either the Sox have a better offer than someone else or not. If KW holds the line at what he thinks a player is worth, and no one else comes in higher, I highly doubt an opposing GM is going to NOT trade because he wants more from the Sox due to their 5th starter problem.

Your logic works in a single bidder scenario and even then - only if KW is willing to increase his own valuation of a player. I don't know that that's true. I also think the lack of movement is due more to teams being in the race and demanding a ton to give up their guys than anything else. Given the reported payroll increases approved by JR, I think we may well see a deal or 2 around the break, and then more at the deadline. The later deals will be for lesser prospects where the Sox take on cash from teams trying to dump expensive guys.

Of course, if they go in the tank now and attendance suffers as a result, then all bets are off. But I don't see that happening. We're playing pretty poorly (as most teams do for a stretch or 2 in the season), and we're only 1.5 out.

hold2dibber
06-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Well I think we are already fading into Twins oblivion, we lost 2 0f 3 to the EXPOS..............Well at least when we fade I will have more time to spend with my wife, aaah another Sox season going going...............hopefully somewhere rather than nowhere
***** - they're 1.5 games out on June 21st, and you're packing it in already? Come on. You must have been thrilled with the White Flag Trade - they were 3.5 games out in July at tha tpoint. Maybe the Sox should unload Maggs, Loaiza, Valentin and Takatsu for some young talent, since the season's as good as done.