PDA

View Full Version : This month is about to get even uglier...

pudge
06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
We face Sabathia and a talented Cliff Lee in Cleveland, then end that series with the vaunted Jon Rauch on the mound. Easily could lose 3 of 4. Then head into matchups against Prior and Zambrano...

This is not a "season's over" thread, just a warning that we might soon be a third-place team for a few days.

harwar
06-21-2004, 11:28 AM
and after that we go on the road to the hump dome & the urinal.I think these next 2 weeks are HUGE!

joeynach
06-21-2004, 11:32 AM
and after that we go on the road to the hump dome & the urinal.I think these next 2 weeks are HUGE!
Not only are they huge but they will be very difficult. I hope the sox dont expect to win games like 12-3 against these upcoming games agains the twins, tribe, and scrubs. They have to battle becuase the tribe are an emergint team now and will probably beat up on sox pitching. The next two weeks might make or break this year, hell ill take a nice 6-6 record over the next two weeks,

ndgt10
06-21-2004, 11:32 AM
We face Sabathia and a talented Cliff Lee in Cleveland, then end that series with the vaunted Jon Rauch on the mound. Easily could lose 3 of 4. Then head into matchups against Prior and Zambrano...

This is not a "season's over" thread, just a warning that we might soon be a third-place team for a few days.
We play the Indians at home.

IlliniSoxFan
06-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Is suspended, and I imagine that the 6 games he's suspended for will cover our series against them, although I could be off by a game or so. So, hopefully we miss him and get some raw kid instead. But, you're right, this is a dangerous week.

That said, the Sox have surprised us before by looking vulnerable and then becoming unstoppable against the teams they need to beat. Hopefull they'll continue that trend in front of big crowds, and we'll get ourselves right back on track by the All-Star break.

ndgt10
06-21-2004, 11:41 AM
Is suspended, and I imagine that the 6 games he's suspended for will cover our series against them, although I could be off by a game or so. So, hopefully we miss him and get some raw kid instead. But, you're right, this is a dangerous week.

That said, the Sox have surprised us before by looking vulnerable and then becoming unstoppable against the teams they need to beat. Hopefull they'll continue that trend in front of big crowds, and we'll get ourselves right back on track by the All-Star break.
I believe he is appealing the suspension and will pitch against the Sox.

Cellview22
06-21-2004, 11:42 AM
It's very important we get on the board early. Harris and Uribe need to focus and start setting the table RIGHT AWAY. If we can get a comfortable lead early, then we'll come away with wins for this series. The way we've been playing lately, we can't afford tight games.

I have a friend in Atlanta who went to all 3 games against the Indians, and said Cleveland shouldn't be a problem for us this series. We're the better team, we just need to execute EARLY..

ndgt10
06-21-2004, 11:45 AM
I believe he is appealing the suspension and will pitch against the Sox.
I have also heard that his son got chicken pox, and since he has never had them before, he has been sent home for quarantine. If he doesn't contract him he will pitch against us.

WSox8404
06-21-2004, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=IlliniSoxFan]Is suspended, and I imagine that the 6 games he's suspended for will cover our series against them, although I could be off by a game or so. So, hopefully we miss him and get some raw kid instead. But, you're right, this is a dangerous week.

Great. We can then get shut out against someone making his major league debut. I think I rather take my chances against Lee.

Fungo
06-21-2004, 11:52 AM
I believe he is appealing the suspension and will pitch against the Sox.Exactly. I imagine he will appeal, pitch against the Sox & then drop the appeal. They have the Rockies and Detroit following the Sox series.

jabrch
06-21-2004, 11:59 AM

well - it is possible. But i am not writing off games against Lee, Sabathia or whoemver faces Racuh yet. We could lose 3 of 4, but we could also win 3 of 4. I don't think it is as bad as you are saying it might be.

ndgt10
06-21-2004, 12:09 PM
This first game with the Injuns is vital. If we lose, we will be lucky to get a split, probably 1-3. If we win, we can easily take 3 of 4 or maybe sweep.

DrCrawdad
06-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Sabbathia, Lee and Westbrook are all better than average pitchers.

DaveIsHere
06-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Sabbathia, Lee and Westbrook are all better than average pitchers.
Obviously how "good" pitchers are doesnt effect how we do, we are either on or off, and if we are off so are our pitcher, if our pitchers are on we are off, hell we are off more than when we are on........................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

inta
06-21-2004, 12:35 PM
the next 2 weeks can easily bury this season. especially with the cubs' series.
cubs are playing as good/better than anyone in the league. if sox fans get drowned out of the cell this weekend... ugh.

typical sox, don't take the opportunity to feast on losers.

soxnut
06-21-2004, 12:49 PM
I'm hoping for a good week, but after this past week, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out badly. But then again, having their regular American League lineup in there they should do better. At worst I'm expecting 2-5, at best 4-3. I'm usuually pretty positive, but both Cleveland and the Cubs are playing well right now, and the Sox need to get Magglio back to full speed soon.

Hokiesox
06-21-2004, 12:54 PM
No worries,

How many years have we been atrocious before the all star break and then gone on an absolute tear through August? C'mon guys, every team goes through a stretch where they lose 10 of 12. The sky isn't falling, and there's still half a season left, where the Twins play the yankees and boston, while we only play boston. What is important this year is how the team does from 9/1 on.

HebrewHammer
06-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Really, what's the point to this thread other than to spread negativity, of course the games will be difficult, most baseball games are, but they haven't even been played yet, can we at least get a few in before we start being negative, we're still only 1.5 games out.

WWIII
06-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Just a side note/question. Is Rauch really pitching? What happened to the beef with KW? My first reaction was that we were showing him off to the Tribe as a possible piece of a trade for one of their pitchers. I remember talk (albeit rumor) of a possible trade for Sabathia. Is this a possibility do you think, or are we just giving Rauch a second chance?

nasox
06-21-2004, 02:22 PM
I just do not want to see Corpseball 2. Hopefully it won't return to theaters this summer.

Dan H
06-21-2004, 03:33 PM
No worries,

How many years have we been atrocious before the all star break and then gone on an absolute tear through August? C'mon guys, every team goes through a stretch where they lose 10 of 12. The sky isn't falling, and there's still half a season left, where the Twins play the yankees and boston, while we only play boston. What is important this year is how the team does from 9/1 on.
Problem is the Sox are rarely in contention on 9/1. Last year was an exception and then they took the pipe against Minnesota.

The sky isn't falling, but June has been ugly. Dropping games in the ninth and then let the Expos beat you. The team cannot afford to let winning opportunities waste away, and no one can even pose as a fifth starter. The team needs to start turing things around soon, or September won't mean much.

Flight #24
06-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Problem is the Sox are rarely in contention on 9/1. Last year was an exception and then they took the pipe against Minnesota.

The sky isn't falling, but June has been ugly. Dropping games in the ninth and then let the Expos beat you. The team cannot afford to let winning opportunities waste away, and no one can even pose as a fifth starter. The team needs to start turing things around soon, or September won't mean much.
If you're using historical facts like we're "rarely in contention on 9/1", check back and see how much of that is due to the fact that we're usually WAY out of the race on 6/15.

If the team plays like they have the past couple of years in June/July/Aug, we'll be in contention on 9/1 and probably in the division lead.

Dropping games in the 9th, letting the Expos beat you, not having a 5th starter....and still being 1.5 out with MANY games left to play and an easier schedule than your main rival is NOT time to start packing it in or imagining the worst.

beckett21
06-21-2004, 04:08 PM
If you're using historical facts like we're "rarely in contention on 9/1", check back and see how much of that is due to the fact that we're usually WAY out of the race on 6/15.

If the team plays like they have the past couple of years in June/July/Aug, we'll be in contention on 9/1 and probably in the division lead.

Dropping games in the 9th, letting the Expos beat you, not having a 5th starter....and still being 1.5 out with MANY games left to play and an easier schedule than your main rival is NOT time to start packing it in or imagining the worst.
Well put.

Not to mention that our All-Star rightfielder has been out for three or so weeks.

The glass remains half full. This team has yet to reach its full potential.

SOXSINCE'70
06-21-2004, 04:29 PM
This team hasn't even played up to its potential.Now
would be a good time to start.

P.S.- If the Sox are "scared" of anyone,they should just go home
and give it up right now.You can be concerned about how well an
opponent is playing,but cowardice shows me the team doesn't have what it takes to win ANYTHING. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

soxwon
06-21-2004, 05:31 PM

__________________________________________________ _____
SPEAKIN OF SUSPENSIONS.
when is Kerry Wood gonna serve his, his incident was april 17
for gods sake, did the NL forget?
Anyone have an answer?

Dan H
06-21-2004, 05:53 PM

I am not imagining the worst. I just have been there before.

The division is still very winnable. I just would like to see the team in a better position should they take the division. I will not be satisfied with a division title. As far as the schedule is concerned, I remember the Sox doing badly against Detroit last year. You still have to execute to win, no matter who you are playing.

And if you are a real contender, you shouldn't be dropping games in the ninth or giving up 17 runs to Expos. I still think the team needs another starter and someone has to step up to be a closer. Winning will be much harder if these two things don't happen. If that is imagining the worst, so be it.

MRKARNO
06-22-2004, 12:02 AM
:threadblows:

pudge
06-22-2004, 02:22 AM
I am not imagining the worst. I just have been there before.

The division is still very winnable. I just would like to see the team in a better position should they take the division. I will not be satisfied with a division title. As far as the schedule is concerned, I remember the Sox doing badly against Detroit last year. You still have to execute to win, no matter who you are playing.

And if you are a real contender, you shouldn't be dropping games in the ninth or giving up 17 runs to Expos. I still think the team needs another starter and someone has to step up to be a closer. Winning will be much harder if these two things don't happen. If that is imagining the worst, so be it.
Well thought out and well said. It'd be nice to see a team that can win a playoff series for a change.