PDA

View Full Version : I like what I'm seeing.

Jurr
06-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Going into this season, I didn't know what to expect, but if you told me we'd be where we're at, I would have taken it. There are plenty of reasons to be excited.

1. We've treaded water during this Maggs injury, which has really hurt our lineup. I think our offense, with the consistency of Harris and Uribe, has the potential to keep on producing throughout the year, especially against these clubs we keep seeing over and over. It's always the guys we haven't seen that seem to sneak up and bite us. We're about to be out of the woods on this Magglio injury, and we're only 1.5 games back.

2. We said that we needed some production out of the 4th starter position. We didn't expect to get much help from the five hole, but we needed Schoney to keep us competitive enough to be in position to make a run for this thing and be in that buyer mode by the all star break. We're just about there. If we can add another solid arm, move Shoney down to the fifth slot, and keep getting good outings, we're going to be great.

3. The bullpen has been made better by subtraction. Shingo has surpassed all expectations, and we just need probably one good arm to add to the pen.

I love the way we're being coached, I love the fighting spirit of this team, and I think we can have a very exciting second half with some great results.

DrCrawdad
06-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Going into this season, I didn't know what to expect, but if you told me we'd be where we're at, I would have taken it. There are plenty of reasons to be excited.

1. We've treaded water during this Maggs injury, which has really hurt our lineup. I think our offense, with the consistency of Harris and Uribe, has the potential to keep on producing throughout the year, especially against these clubs we keep seeing over and over. It's always the guys we haven't seen that seem to sneak up and bite us. We're about to be out of the woods on this Magglio injury, and we're only 1.5 games back.

2. We said that we needed some production out of the 4th starter position. We didn't expect to get much help from the five hole, but we needed Schoney to keep us competitive enough to be in position to make a run for this thing and be in that buyer mode by the all star break. We're just about there. If we can add another solid arm, move Shoney down to the fifth slot, and keep getting good outings, we're going to be great.

3. The bullpen has been made better by subtraction. Shingo has surpassed all expectations, and we just need probably one good arm to add to the pen.

I love the way we're being coached, I love the fighting spirit of this team, and I think we can have a very exciting second half with some great results.

Positivity will not be tolerated!

CubKilla
06-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Our 6-10 June thus far has me stoked! :rolleyes:

WSox8404
06-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Nothing says we are going to win the division more than losing two out of three to the Expos.

FarWestChicago
06-20-2004, 08:17 PM
Positivity will not be tolerated!Evidently not. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

dpbyron
06-20-2004, 08:19 PM

Agreed! :D:

Lip Man 1
06-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Jurr:

You do make some very solid points but I can't help thinking about losing some of these games and the way in which the Sox lost them and how if this race stays close it could mean all the difference in the world come late September.

Considering the question marks on this team it hurts badly to throw away opportunities.

You point about Maggs' injury brings two things immediately to my mind. One how valuable he is to this team... period, no questions asked.

And two, you look at teams like Anaheim, the Cubs, Philadelphia and they have hung in there, in much tougher divisions, with multiple injuries because they can replace the guys who get hurt with other pretty good players.

Maggs is the Sox only serious injury so far and he's been replaced with guys like Rowand, Perez, Gload. No offense to those individuals but if the Sox were to try to trade them do you think anybody would be interested in them?

And why not....because they are 'journeymen.' Nothing more.

By the way since Maggs has been out of the lineup the Sox are 9-12 again that shows how valuable he is.

Lip

Jurr
06-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Hanging in with a much tougher division, huh? Minnesota and Chicago have better records than most of those other teams and as far as the Sox schedule goes, we've played much tougher competition than any of 'em. The Sox have played some talented ball clubs, with all of the lemons coming up later. So yes, we've hung in there well.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Hey, lucky us! We play in a lousy division. If this was 1996 I could understand complaints about our plight vs. the mighty Cleveland Indians. Fortunately there isn't a solid 25-man team in the entire division. I don't think any team is truly out of it except Kansas City, and they blew it the first 30 days of the season.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, please spare me the idle speculation about how this team isn't going anywhere next October unless we start playing better. Check the calendar and you'll discover October is still over 3 months away. Nobody will give one damn about how great the Sox played last June if they got swept in 3-straight next October.

And gee, what a surprise. The 2000 Sox had one of the greatest June's in franchise history -- and they still got swept 3-straight in October. And you know what else? I remember Sox Fans right on this very board complaining about how meaningless all those wins back in June truly were. Whine, whine... bitch, bitch...

I want the Sox playing their best ball next October. We need to win the division between now and then and in the entire history of the sport, nobody ever clinched on June 20.

Take deep breaths and calm down because all the hyperventilating in the world isn't going change any of the facts I've just written.

Nard
06-20-2004, 09:43 PM
The reason we're not running and hiding in the division is because of the 5th starter situation. Every 5th starter game is an automatic loss no matter who comes in to relieve or how hot the offense is. I didn't see us lose a series to the Expos, I saw a split. Who honestly expected to win the game with the anonymous 5th starter?

You don't need 5th starters in the playoffs.

1951Campbell
06-20-2004, 09:47 PM
C'mon people. We're 1.5 games out.

Jumping off this bandwagon = white flagging it.

Heads out of ovens, please!

MRKARNO
06-20-2004, 09:54 PM

We're not playing well right now, but we've still got nearly 100 games left in the year. It's a long season and we're going to be in this race or ahead of the pack the entire year. In the grand scheme of things, our situation isnt so bad compared to those of the Astros for instance

SSN721
06-21-2004, 06:44 AM

I also agree. :)

Dan H
06-21-2004, 09:07 AM
The reason we're not running and hiding in the division is because of the 5th starter situation. Every 5th starter game is an automatic loss no matter who comes in to relieve or how hot the offense is. I didn't see us lose a series to the Expos, I saw a split. Who honestly expected to win the game with the anonymous 5th starter?

You don't need 5th starters in the playoffs.
I agree. You don't need a fifth starter in the playoffs, but you need one to get to the playoffs. There was no split in Montreal, it was a series loss to the worst team in the National League. It's pretty bad when you score 14 runs and lose.

The White Sox are not out of the division race by any means. It is just hard to win with weak pitching.

fledgedrallycap
06-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Losing to Montreal sucks, plain and simple. However, this is one of the few times all year we have lost a series to a team that would be considered beneath us.

We're in a little funk right now, the timely hitting and good pitching performances are not clicking. Let's sweep the Tribe and get ready for the Cubs.

Blob
06-21-2004, 10:01 AM

That's right! The sky is NOT falling!

Jurr
06-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Every team has spells in the season where they struggle to put together wins. However, a lot of those teams that have bad leadership and chemistry go into severe funks where they are incapable of winning more than one game in a week. The Sox, during their current bad spell, have beaten the Marlins and Expos in parks where they lost the DH and Magglio, took two against the Braves, and they have been in every game that they have lost. Most teams, when they're going bad, can't even put up a whimper in a ball game. We came back from 10 down the other night. You have to be encouraged by this trend.

rwcescato
06-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Jurr:

You do make some very solid points but I can't help thinking about losing some of these games and the way in which the Sox lost them and how if this race stays close it could mean all the difference in the world come late September.

Considering the question marks on this team it hurts badly to throw away opportunities.

You point about Maggs' injury brings two things immediately to my mind. One how valuable he is to this team... period, no questions asked.

And two, you look at teams like Anaheim, the Cubs, Philadelphia and they have hung in there, in much tougher divisions, with multiple injuries because they can replace the guys who get hurt with other pretty good players.

Maggs is the Sox only serious injury so far and he's been replaced with guys like Rowand, Perez, Gload. No offense to those individuals but if the Sox were to try to trade them do you think anybody would be interested in them?

And why not....because they are 'journeymen.' Nothing more.

By the way since Maggs has been out of the lineup the Sox are 9-12 again that shows how valuable he is.

Lip
Mark,
I agree with you. Right now I am disapponited. We neeed to get back home and start winning. A 5-2 or 6-1 homestand at this point is needed.
Starting tonight we need better pitching and more timely hitting. Our pitching has gone south in a hurry. It doesn't look like KW has any trades lined up if he brought back Rauch to fill the #5 starter. We are now short on pitching and the bullpen is spent. Quality starts the next few weeks are necessary. We have the indians, cubs,twins,cubs all coming up. Less than .500 is not acceptable. It looks like a big crowd tonight. They are only selling upper deck seats on line now.
GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!!
Rich

akingamongstmen
06-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Mark,
I agree with you. Right now I am disapponited. We neeed to get back home and start winning. A 5-2 or 6-1 homestand at this point is needed.
Starting tonight we need better pitching and more timely hitting. Our pitching has gone south in a hurry. It doesn't look like KW has any trades lined up if he brought back Rauch to fill the #5 starter. We are now short on pitching and the bullpen is spent. Quality starts the next few weeks are necessary. We have the indians, cubs,twins,cubs all coming up. Less than .500 is not acceptable. It looks like a big crowd tonight. They are only selling upper deck seats on line now.
GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!!
Rich
I'll be there tonight...can't wait. I just hope Schoeney gets his act together big time. We need a quality start from him.

Oh, and I hope somebody smashes a line drive at Sabathia just so his stupid hat can spin around. I mean seriuosly, look at that guy's picture...he looks like an idiot with his floppy, off-centered hat. His teammates must think he's a moron.