PDA

View Full Version : Home / Road Win Percentage

Lip Man 1
06-20-2004, 05:15 PM
On the 'official' post game thread someone pointed out that three of the four last Sox road trips have been bad and that triggered a memory which I wanted to bring up for discussion.

I think Phil Rogers had a story in the Tribune (it may have been someone else but I'm sure a story was published) that said that since the start of the 2001 season the Sox have the biggest difference in the American League in win percentage at home versus road.

The author pointed out that the only other team close was Colorado and as he said that's 'not good.'

He listed two reasons or possible reasons for this. One was that Comiskey Park has become the A.L.'s version of Coors Field with balls flying out ever since the Sox started tinkering with the outfield dimensions.

The second was that in order to take advantage of the first reason, the Sox have become nothing but a home run hitting team and that when they have to play in a pitcher's park like Oakland or Seattle or if they face a decent pitcher on the road they simply are unable to put runs across any other way then by hitting home runs.

It is pretty remarkable how the past few years the Sox can't seem to win on the West Coast, they have trouble on Astroturf and seem to have major problems beating teams that other clubs are regularly pounding.

I can't explain it...maybe you can.

Lip