PDA

View Full Version : Losing Perspective

infohawk
06-20-2004, 12:48 AM
There is beginning to be far too much pessimism on this board.

Please keep in mind the following:

The Sox have played 64 games so far this season. Their record is 35-29. The Sox's record 64 games into last season was 29-35. This is a difference of 6 victories. Pretty significant considering we lost the division last year by 4 games.
64 games into last season found the Sox 8 games back of the Minnesota Twins and 3 games back of the Kansas City Royals. 64 games into this season finds the Sox .5 games behind only the Twins.
Based upon 64 games, the Sox are playing at a pace of 6 games better than last year. Based upon 64 games, the Twins are playing at a pace 3 games worse than last year. (The Twins have actually played 67 games so far this year.)
The Sox are 6 games better this year despite not having Bartolo Colon in the rotation.
The Sox are 6 games better this year despite not having Magglio Ordonez for a significant stretch of games.
The Sox are 6 games better this year even though the "unproven" Willie Harris is in the line-up.
The Sox are in the thick of the playoff race despite letting Robbie Alomar, Carl Everett, Tom Gordon and Scott Sullivan walk.
The Sox are 6 games better this year and still anticipate making moves to strengthen the club.
The Sox are 6 games better this year despite having a rookie manager who has never managed anywhere.
The Sox are 6 games better this year without having made any significant offseason free agent acquisitions or trades.
Finally, the Sox have yet to lose a game to the Tigers by a score of 1-0. :redneck
Moral of the story -- We think we know, but we don't really know. We can only hope to ride it out and keep our sanity!

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!

doublem23
06-20-2004, 12:53 AM
I appreciate the optimism, but you're going to have to just grin and bear it. The board's feelings flucuate dramatically with the team's performance. After tonigt's debacle, we're somewhere between "Would rather jump off Sears Tower and get hit by passing plane on way down" and "Would rather try and fight off dozen angry lions with piece of steak."

:peace:

FarWestChicago
06-20-2004, 12:54 AM
There is beginning to be far too much pessimism on this board.Beginning? Oh, I see you registered in April. It's been like this for a couple years. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 12:54 AM
No one i believe has lost faith as did many wsi'ers durin month 2 of the season for whatever reason. I believe i am known to be a die hard "keep the faith" person, not givin up till mathmatically impossible, not improbable.

But we are comin close to all star game, which is the half way point, and i will admit, we cant coast into the second half. We cant keep splitting games when we should be winning. In 2000 we had the hot first half then .500 coasted the second half and if anyone can disolve the mental block we know what happened in the post season. Confidence is hard to build\maintain when let down alot.

FarWestChicago
06-20-2004, 01:02 AM
I believe i am known to be a die hard "keep the faith" person, not givin up till mathmatically impossible, not improbable.There aren't many of us. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/nod.gif

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 01:08 AM
There aren't many of us. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/nod.gif

Ha but when i do give up\realize its over, boy do i get nasty. I made my roomate leave my room when the blackhawks were about to lose game 5 of the playoffs. I kept my mantra saying i wont give up till i hear "one minute left in the period" and they're down by more than 2 goals....well it was 3 i believe so he left, buzzer sounded and i ended up nearly putting my hockey stick thru the wall and flipped my bed over. I got the pix too, quite humerous.