PDA

View Full Version : The 1b Debacle

compy75
06-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Man this gets better by the day. How can we not being playing Frank out there? I mean seriously this whole platooning has totally messed up not one but both our first basemen.

As of tonight, they are now a combined 2-21 with 2 HR. Taking into consideration that both were hitting, (Frank .380 4 HR the prior week, Konerko .356 1 HR) our biggest fears have come true. Of course, Pauly's 1-5 had no real bearing on tonight's game but it is still worrisome.

How can we not trot out Frank at 1B? How is his production so undervalued. As for the ankle statement, it seems merely a copout to help justify Ozzie's decision.

SEALgep
06-19-2004, 10:52 PM
What information do you have to justify calling it a copout?

compy75
06-19-2004, 10:55 PM
What information do you have to justify calling it a copout?
Forgive me for the condescending tone, but it seems a bit too convenient and a bit questionable as he has been PHing.

OurBitchinMinny
06-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Ozzie is the manager. He doesnt have to justify himself to anyone but his bosses. You cant just leave konerko on the bench and put him into a slump and frank is such a friggin liability at 1b. Theyve scored 25 runs in two games w/o maggs and thomas. Their problem is the pitching bleeping sucks. Frank not playing is not the reason they lost. Munoz, polite, jackson and cotts are the reason they lost....and the bunt by harris was a momentum killer too

compy75
06-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Ozzie is the manager. He doesnt have to justify himself to anyone but his bosses. You cant just leave konerko on the bench and put him into a slump and frank is such a friggin liability at 1b. Theyve scored 25 runs in two games w/o maggs and thomas. Their problem is the pitching bleeping sucks. Frank not playing is not the reason they lost. Munoz, polite, jackson and cotts are the reason they lost....and the bunt by harris was a momentum killer too
Lets take a longer look: Getting Frank into a funk is more a problem then getting Pauly into one.

2) Worrying about Pauly getting a funk? Well he's now 1-13. I guess those ABs really have kept him sharp.

3) Critiquing the manager is the right of every fan and what makes this board fun and enjoyable.

JB98
06-19-2004, 11:01 PM
If Frank is sore at all, I don't want him playing on that AstroTurf. We only have one more day of the girly National League rules, and first base is the least of our problems anyway.

JRIG
06-19-2004, 11:06 PM
My favorite argument in all of these threads is that somehow keeping Konerko on the bench for 5 of 6 games (while still letting him pinch hit!) is certain to send Paulie on some season-ending slump.

But somehow, alternating Konerko and Frank, or having Frank sit on the bench for a few straight games brings no indication of worries of how it might affect the best hitter in the American League.

SEALgep
06-20-2004, 12:00 AM
My favorite argument in all of these threads is that somehow keeping Konerko on the bench for 5 of 6 games (while still letting him pinch hit!) is certain to send Paulie on some season-ending slump.

But somehow, alternating Konerko and Frank, or having Frank sit on the bench for a few straight games brings no indication of worries of how it might affect the best hitter in the American League.If he turned his ankle and don't want him out there, then why does anyone have a problem with that? For all we know, he told Ozzie that he didn't want to play tonight at first. Why take a chance of making him unhealthy? But hey, I guess that would ruin all the fun you guys have of ripping every little move that is made.