PDA

View Full Version : Arnie Munoz - 1st ML Strikeout Question?

BLRMKRdave
06-19-2004, 10:36 PM
DJ and Hawk had an interesting converstation about Munoz's first ML K when the score was around 10-1. Throw the ball in the dugout or just keep it in the field of play? When batters get their first ML hit the ball is thrown in the dugout for the player to keep. What do pitchers get? Is their 1st pitch thrown in the dugout or is it true that after their first K they throw that ball in the dugout?

If it is the latter case then no matter the score Munoz should have been able to keep the ball. Some batters get their first hit in a PH role late in the game and they give him the ball no matter the score. What is the unwritten rule of baseball on this topic?

~BLRMKRdave

beckett21
06-19-2004, 10:39 PM
I don't know what the rule is, but if I'm Arnie, I'm burning every shred of clothing I had on tonight, and I sure as hell don't want anything to remind me of this carnage.

But to actually answer your question, I have no idea.

SEALgep
06-19-2004, 11:03 PM
He could have gotten the ball, but as Hawk said, you had better not ask for the ball when you're down 10-1 in the third. In fact I would take it one step further and suggest he pitch with that ball the rest of the game if he could manage to keep it in the park. I'm not going to give up on him, but I think the outing was too bad to give him another chance. Bring on Grilli, or hopefully a trade will have already been done.