FarWestChicago
06-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Wow... http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

Viva Magglio
06-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Alouettes 17, Bears 14

PaleHoseGeorge
I give 'em credit for hanging tough. But...

:angry:

HomeFish
This team sucks. The fifth closer equals an instant loss and the bullpen is absolutely useless.

Were it not for the offense, this team would be "way back and outta here" in the division. We may yet be after the next few weeks if this keeps up.

balboner
06-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Does anyone know if Crede was seriously hurt?

Jjav829
06-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Somewhere in Seattle.....

*Secretary walks into an office* "Mr. Bavasi, you have a call on line 1. It's Kenny Williams.....he's crying."

:KW
"Trade us Freddy Garcia!! Please!!"

WSox8404
06-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi, my name is Arnie Munoz. :dtroll:

Hi, my name is Cliff Politte. :dtroll:

Hi, my name is Neal Cotts. :dtroll:

JoseCanseco6969
06-19-2004, 10:43 PM
well.....at least the twins blew a lead and lost today

harwar
06-19-2004, 10:44 PM
This teams era is climbing up pretty fast.We are getting down with all the "bad"teams

WhiteSox = Life
Well, at least you can still catch most of Svengoolie's The Screaming Skull on WCIU.

:(:

PaleHoseGeorge
well.....at least the twins blew a lead and lost today
Hey, that works for me. I'm looking for some top-spin!

:cool:

Jjav829
06-19-2004, 10:45 PM

Hi, my name is Neal Cotts. :dtroll:
You forgot about Mike Jackson. We need to get rid of this bum. Get Larry Beinfest on the phone!

Philo-Sox-er
All this talk about Beltran needs to stop. If the Sox are serious about contending this year, we better get some pitching, starting and bullpen, now! Champions don't give up 17 runs to Montreal and lose after scoring 14!

Viva Magglio
I think the bad bunt by Willie Harris killed our momentum. Would we have won if he bunted successfully? We'll never know, but you could sense a momentum turn when that happened.

We must win tomorrow!

WSox8404
06-19-2004, 10:47 PM

Hi, my name is Mike Jackson. :dtroll:

Hi, my name is Neal Cotts.:dtroll:

harwar
06-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Champions don't give up 17 runs to Montreal and lose after scoring 14!yea this game reminded me of a mariners-rangers game back in early 80's when they both were very bad.

mendozaln
I think it's hard to blame Munoz. He wasn't ready, and the Sox knew that. (After all, he was their 5th best option. He's only 22 and he's pitched just over 300 minor league innings.) I just hope it doesn't weigh too heavily on him. The next time we sacrifice someone to the 5th-starter god, can't we just call him part of the bullpen and say it's a bullpen day? Maybe it'll work out better if noone is looking for The Answer.

PaleHoseGeorge
How worn out was Ozzie's bullpen for this game? If the fifth starter's spot is nothing but a drain on our bullpen, we should just go to a 4-man and keep the bullpen strong.

This has become a bit of a joke, really.

OurBitchinMinny
06-19-2004, 10:49 PM
wow the top of the 8th looked so promising, then harris screws up and timo and uribe K looking, although uribe did battle and it was a questionable strike 3. Maybe shingo can just pitch every inning of every game from now on

OurBitchinMinny
06-19-2004, 10:51 PM
There has to be some journeyman guy in our system who can pitch at least decently. Rauch is almost to that point being 25-26, but stop sending young promising guys up there to get slaughtered. If a trade is not made bring rauch up here again and if he does anything stupid like leave early again cut him

Frankfan4life
The hitters were fantastic. Kudos to them.

The bullpen was awful. We got problems!

I can't even begin to describe the 5th starter. What kind of pitching was that? I will never believe it can't get any worse.

SOXintheBURGH
I don't get to catch many games on tv, probably maybe 10-20 a season sadly. I got to watch tonight and all I can say is "Wow, what a game." No Frank???

A.T. Money
I think the bad bunt by Willie Harris killed our momentum. Would we have won if he bunted successfully? We'll never know, but you could sense a momentum turn when that happened.

We must win tomorrow!
We wouldn't. Perez and Uribe both struck out after that anyway. So rather than strand them at 1st and 2nd, it would have been 2nd and 3rd.

Viva Magglio
KW has to deal now. And I don't mean for Carlos Beltrán, unless he can be an effective fifth starter.

greenpeach
06-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Prior to this evening, the Expos had scored 17 runs in their last four games...combined. That's all you really need to know about the state of this pitching staff. Simply pathetic.

WSox8404
06-19-2004, 10:53 PM
KW has to deal now. And I don't mean for Carlos Beltrán, unless he can be an effective fifth starter.
He could probably do a better job out of the pen than Cotts, Politte, or Jackson, and notice this isn't in teal.

JoseCanseco6969
06-19-2004, 10:54 PM
the 3 @$$clowns we used today in the pen excluding the obvious Mr Zero, all have ERA's over 5

Politte 5.64
Jackson 5.19
Cotts 5.70

it's such a joke that we can put up 14 runs and still lose a game by 3 runs, especially against the mighty hitting expos:angry:

owensmouth
06-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Some game.

How many of you remember Hoyt Wilhelm, he of Doctor Wilhelm and his Dincing Knuckleball Show? He was the best closer we had back then (and I'm not sure up til now). How many of yo remember those days when his knuckleball didn't knuckle? Uhhh, two or three home runs later...

Munoz is a curve ball pitcher and today he didn't have it. Ozzie wanted to give the kid a chance, but without the curve, same result. I'd give Arnie another chance, but keep him on a tighter string.

We can't tell a 21 year old kid you only got one chance. We all know he's better than what he showed. If I were Ozzie, I'd let him redeam himself Thursday.

BigEdWalsh
This team sucks. The fifth closer equals an instant loss and the bullpen is absolutely useless.

Were it not for the offense, this team would be "way back and outta here" in the division. We may yet be after the next few weeks if this keeps up.
I'm with you, Home Fish. I'm not so mad about the loss. I mean the Twinkies lost and we're still only 1/2 game back but jeez.....
0-8 in our 5th starter games sucks. And what was really frustrating tonight was seeing the Sox come back just to have that crappy bullpen giving up more and more runs....to the frickin' Montreal Expos for Gods sake!!!
Pollite, Jackson, Cotts, Adkins....these guys blow.
KW, make some moves.

Frater Perdurabo
The worst thing is that the longer the #5 spot remains a black hole in the Sox rotation, the more other GM's will hold Kenny's feet to the fire and ask for the moon in return for a starting pitcher. Yeah, it was a big mistake to not fill the hole during the offseason, and I place the blame squarely on Reinsdorf. :angry:

Even so, KW has to make a deal now, even if he has to overpay. Although the lack of left-handed hitting is a problem, it is nowhere near the problem that the lack of a starting pitcher is proving to be. Worse, Garland and Shoe have become less consistent of late and Buehrle is only getting wins because of some great run support. This rotation -- and this season -- could get ugly in a hurry. A #5 starter is not good enough. They need a top of the rotation starter, and fast.

Brian26
06-19-2004, 10:59 PM

We must win tomorrow!
Yep. That bunt attempt was like driving into a brick wall. You knew it was the end of the game.

johnny_mostil
We wouldn't. Perez and Uribe both struck out after that anyway. So rather than strand them at 1st and 2nd, it would have been 2nd and 3rd.
Correction. They were called out. Both on questionable pitches. The home plate ump expanded the strike zone significantly for Cordero.

Viva Magglio
:?: I don't know what to think anymore. We cannot continue to be playing "football" out there and expect to win. In addition to starter No. 5, I am especially concerned about Buehrle giving up a ton of runs as of late and Schoenweis' ineffectiveness as well. And then there is Jon Garland who scares me even more than Starter No. 5 does.

A. Cavatica
06-19-2004, 11:01 PM

We must win tomorrow!
No way do you ever bunt in a 15-14 game. Dumb bunt. Was he bunting on his own?

Lip Man 1
06-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Well remember the Phillies were lighting the staff up as well.

Maybe it was hot and humid in Montreal?

I think the Sox are in a slump. It happens to everyone over the course of a long season. The lack of a 5th starter, the bullpen a tad short, Ordonez out. It's added up to a 7-10 record in the last 17 games. Frankly I'd have been very surprised if the Sox went say 11-6 over the same stretch with the same hanidcaps.

I do think Ozzie is liable to blow a fuse after this one though, we'll see.

The key now is to end it. That's where Ozzie and Kenny come in.

Lip

WSox8404
Well I had enough crap for one day. The Cubs have a miraculous win, and we well, STINK. Our bullpen has to be one of the worst in the majors.

beckett21
This has become a bit of a joke, really.
How true PHG, how true.

Unfortunately, that laughter you hear is coming from Minnesota. :(:

I'm just totally pooped out on this 5th starter issue. It has gone beyond the point of rational discussion. There is actually nothing more to discuss.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Hey is that HomeFish on the radio with Dave Wills? :D:

"Somebody ought to get fired!"

"They're insulting us!"

"Let's make a trade with the Cubs!"

:)

Lip Man 1
06-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I think the 5th starters are now what, 3-19 over the past two years?

Statistically I didn't think that was possible... that if you take enough chances sooner or later the ball will bounce your way.

That ranks right up there with the Sox record on the West Coast since 2001.

Lip

MRKARNO
06-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Well remember the Phillies were lighting the staff up as well.

Maybe it was hot and humid in Montreal?

I think the Sox are in a slump. It happens to everyone over the course of a long season. The lack of a 5th starter, the bullpen a tad short, Ordonez out. It's added up to a 7-10 record in the last 17 games. Frankly I'd have been very surprised if the Sox went say 11-6 over the same stretch with the same hanidcaps.

I do think Ozzie is liable to blow a fuse after this one though, we'll see.

The key now is to end it. That's where Ozzie and Kenny come in.

Lip

This team was absolutely rolling as it entered the West Coast road trip, but two billy koch blown saves and four losses later, we started to collapse a bit. We almost regained some momentum on that 3-2 homestand, but the Marlins erased almost all of that. They havent really looked good at all since the penultimate homestand.

Viva Magglio
06-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Well I had enough crap for one day. The Cubs have a miraculous win, and we well, STINK. Our bullpen has to be one of the worst in the majors.
And the local media, at least most of them, couldn't be happier...

HomeFish
06-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey is that HomeFish on the radio with Dave Wills? :D:

"Somebody ought to get fired!"

"They're insulting us!"

"Let's make a trade with the Cubs!"

Heh, not tonight. I don't listen to the postgame show after losses.

I've been on the show earlier this season, though.

iwannago
06-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Don't forget tomorrow is another day and another game.:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
06-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Priceless callers into Dave Wills postgame show tonight. Gee what a surprise! :wink:

"Was Ozzie sitting on his hands, rocking back in forth?"

"That first caller [the ranter] was right on!"

"[the minor league coaches] ought to be called into the office Monday morning and told 'What the hell are you guys doing!'"

"I've got a bone to pick with Dave Wills... Cliff Pollite couldn't get me out! ... "

Wills and Melty are earning it tonight.
:gulp:

flo-B-flo
06-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Wow... http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif The pitching REALLY sucked! There are no style points but we are fun to watch. Come back tomorrow and get one. It'll be alright. GO-GO Sox!!

OEO Magglio
06-19-2004, 11:35 PM
The bullpen right now is absolutely pathedic. Munoz got lit up but the bullpen has to hold them down a little bit, I mean come on that was just plain awful. On the bright side the offense was great never gave up. Unfortunately damaso and shingo can't pitch every inning out of the bullpen. Kenny has definitely got some work to do and he needs to do it soon. A 5th starter is a must and bullpen help is a must, forget beltran, forget finley, this team needs pitching help.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2004, 11:40 PM
I'd assume they would do something in the next 36 hours based on Ozzie's comments this morning (i.e. the Sox will add a relief pitcher when they get back to Chicago.)

Lip

OEO Magglio
06-19-2004, 11:43 PM
I'd assume they would do something in the next 36 hours based on Ozzie's comments this morning (i.e. the Sox will add a relief pitcher when they get back to Chicago.)

LipWell arnie was going to get sent back down no matter what so now they'll probably call another reliever up, who do you guys think it's going to be: Santiago? Baj? Majewski?

infohawk
06-19-2004, 11:49 PM
First of all, great effort by the offense to stay in the game and almost pull it out. This loss can be built upon.

While Munoz had a really tough outing, I'm not going to hang this one on him. A starter giving up 11 runs will almost always be the culprit in a loss, but the circumstances of this particular game make me elect to give Munoz a pass. I'd like to evaluate him when he is getting his curveball over.

I'm hanging this one on the bullpen for giving up six runs over six innings. Our starters (1-4) consistently pitch deep into games and I think the bullpen sets up fairly well when the starter pitches into or through the seventh inning. Our bullpen is exposed when we need to get into it early. While I haven't researched the stats to back up my observations, I'm pretty comfortable with Adkins, Marte and Takatsu covering two or three innings. Cotts appears somewhat more reliable when he comes in for one inning at a time. Jackson seems better suited to facing one or two batters at most.

The bullpen is somewhat successful when used within their present limitations. Our record in one run games is something like 13-7. This is pretty good and certainly off to a much better start than last year. The Sox could definitely use at least one more reliable arm out of the bullpen. Preferably someone who is more of a location/control guy than a "stuff" or velocity guy. A guy who can consistently spot at least an average major league fastball, throw strikes, and most importantly, avoid falling behind hitters or issuing walks. I suppose an Eddie Guardado type of guy. Nothing overwhelming or highlight worthy, just effective. My concern with "stuff" guys out of the pen is that their "stuff" is inconsistent from day to day and they aren't afforded as much time as a starter to find their rythem. Outside of Takatsu or maybe Adkins, it just seems that we don't have guys in the pen who posses good control. Pollite throws hard but seems to fall behind hitters, making his fastball more vulnerable. Cotts falls behind hitters. Jackson's slider seems inconsistent. Marte is good more often than not but he is sometimes consistently off the outside of the plate. We all know what kinds of control problems Billy Koch had. He's gone but typifies the control problems in the pen. Not a careful "scientific" observation, but it appeared like a couple of our relievers were falling behind 2-0 to a lot of hitters tonight.

Again, just kind of shooting from the hip based upon how things appear. We have a problem my friends, but one that can be addressed. I am confident that Kenny will do his best to strengthen the pen.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Here's the numbers from Fred Mitchell 'White Sox pitchers performing in the fifth-starter slot this season are 0-8 with a 11.97 earned-run average.'

Yikes! Is Tatum O'Neal available? She did pretty good in the "Bad News Bears..."

Lip

JB98
06-19-2004, 11:57 PM
I've been worried about Politte and Jackson all season. Politte is a poor man's Koch. Jackson has only one pitch (slider) worth talking about, and he's been hanging a few too many of them lately. It could be a blessing in disguise that these two guys have been exposed as weaknesses the last couple weeks. I'm confident KW sees the problem, and I'm sure he'll address it. I just hope we hang in the race until he does.

MRKARNO
06-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Here's the numbers from Fred Mitchell 'White Sox pitchers performing in the fifth-starter slot this season are 0-8 with a 11.97 earned-run average.'

Yikes! Is Tatum O'Neal available? She did pretty good in the "Bad News Bears..."

Lip
It really does say something when on the same night that a no-name Brian Halsey can go out there for the Yanks and pitch 6 innings of 2 run ball, a highly touted Arnie Munoz can go out there and pitch three innings of 11 run ball

MRKARNO
06-20-2004, 12:00 AM
I've been worried about Politte and Jackson all season. Politte is a poor man's Koch. Jackson has only one pitch (slider) worth talking about, and he's been hanging a few too many of them lately. It could be a blessing in disguise that these two guys have been exposed as weaknesses the last couple weeks. I'm confident KW sees the problem, and I'm sure he'll address it. I just hope we hang in the race until he does.
My fear is that KW is afraid to send down Jackson, Cotts and Politte. I really hope he puts the team's interests first and doesnt hesitate to send them down

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 12:04 AM

We must win tomorrow!
I know theres the concept of smart baseball but from what this game showed, simply tieing it would not work for us. Willie is a good hitter and if he atleast hits it on the ground he has a real real good chance of legging it out. Let the man hit, sorry i just dont agree with the whole concept of bunting period.

Am i the only one worried about Buehrle? Last 2-3 starts have terrfied me, he hasnt gotten the loss but thats due to terrifying offense. I mean i believe his last 3 starts(maybe not counting atlanta) he's gotten lit up royally. Yesterday 7 runs, 6 runs against philly. Is this a mental thing with him or could there be something wrong with him, if he didnt have the 9 plus runs a game for him, he would be alot worse off.

MrRoboto83
06-20-2004, 12:04 AM
If we lose the series to the expos i am going to be pretty upset, i may break yet another tv set

beckett21
06-20-2004, 12:05 AM
My fear is that KW is afraid to send down Jackson, Cotts and Politte. I really hope he puts the team's interests first and doesnt hesitate to send them down
Send down?

Cotts belongs here, tonight was hardly his fault though the timing was bad.

Jackson and Politte can be given their walking papers. Adios, muchachos.

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 12:10 AM
the 3 @$$clowns we used today in the pen excluding the obvious Mr Zero, all have ERA's over 5

Politte 5.64
Jackson 5.19
Cotts 5.70

it's such a joke that we can put up 14 runs and still lose a game by 3 runs, especially against the mighty hitting expos:angry:
Cotts' era is mainly due to that horrid blown start he had. Prior to that start he had an ERA hoverin in the 2's. Its possible after all those runs scored, montreal just turned on. I was actually afraid when shingo came in they were gonna jack him out of the park, even for shingo it seemed his pitches we're gettin slammed, just thankfully we have competent fielding.

JB98
06-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Why send Jackson down? Just cut him. There's a reason he didn't pitch in the big leagues last year. He should retire. I wouldn't send Cotts down. You need two lefties in the 'pen. Wunsch is injured (again), and I don't see a better alternative. In all honesty, I thought Cotts was doing fine until the Sox foolishly asked him to start the game in Minnesota. He hasn't been nearly as effective since he got hit around in that game. I'm concerned about him, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. He looked great in the seventh tonight, and then it all went to hell in the eighth. That's a young pitcher for you.

As for Politte, well, maybe the Marlins are in the market for some more bullpen "help." I'm at a loss with him.

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 12:16 AM
And the local media, at least most of them, couldn't be happier...Viva, i'll bet ya 5 bucks what the cover of the Cubune will show
Will be a pic of the "miraculous" superman slide into home and pose by walker. I thought the league frowned on showboating. Id like to see zito plunk walker and then insue a bench clearing brawl...maybe Corky will strain his pinkey toe hoppin the dugout steps to get out there and be placed on the 60 day dl, but then again zito would be considered the next anti christ for this since walker did "nothing wrong" and his celebration and slide was "cubbie cute" and zito would end up like cliff lee

Brian26
06-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Send down?

Cotts belongs here, tonight was hardly his fault though the timing was bad.

Jackson and Politte can be given their walking papers. Adios, muchachos.Exactly. Cotts will be fine as long as he keeps using his fastball in good locations and doesn't throw his mediocre change up for no reason with 2 strikes.

Michael Jackson has shown his true colors. The guy had a decent Spring, but he's become a liability.

Politte is Koch-lite. He's killing us, too.

This bullpen is reminding me very much of the 1983 White Sox right now. Between Juan Agosto, Barojas, Lamp and Tidrow...it was feast or famine. The starters carried that team.

Brian26
06-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Viva, i'll bet ya 5 bucks what the cover of the Cubune will show
Will be a pic of the "miraculous" superman slide into home and pose by walker.
What the hell was this about? I usually make it a point not to watch Cubs highlights.

JB98
06-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Am i the only one worried about Buehrle? Last 2-3 starts have terrfied me, he hasnt gotten the loss but thats due to terrifying offense. I mean i believe his last 3 starts(maybe not counting atlanta) he's gotten lit up royally. Yesterday 7 runs, 6 runs against philly. Is this a mental thing with him or could there be something wrong with him, if he didnt have the 9 plus runs a game for him, he would be alot worse off.
I'm not worried about Buehrle at all. Everyone was sounding these same alarm bells after he got lit up by the Yankees, but shortly thereafter, he reeled off five or six starts in a row where he was absolutely dominant. He really reminds me of Tom Glavine. As you might recall, even when Glavine was in his prime, he would have trouble getting through the first inning. That's how it goes sometimes for pitchers who rely on control and feel. Against both Philly and Montreal, Buehrle was miserable early and then settled in to give the team some quality innings, allowing the offense to respond. They always say, if you don't get a good pitcher early, you're not going to get him at all. That's definitely true of Buerhle. If he gets through the first couple innings unharmed, he shuts the opposition down the rest of the way. My confidence in Mark hasn't been shaken, not in the least.

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm not worried about Buehrle at all. Everyone was sounding these same alarm bells after he got lit up by the Yankees, but shortly thereafter, he reeled off five or six starts in a row where he was absolutely dominant. He really reminds me of Tom Glavine. As you might recall, even when Glavine was in his prime, he would have trouble getting through the first inning. That's how it goes sometimes for pitchers who rely on control and feel. Against both Philly and Montreal, Buehrle was miserable early and then settled in to give the team some quality innings, allowing the offense to respond. They always say, if you don't get a good pitcher early, you're not going to get him at all. That's definitely true of Buerhle. If he gets through the first couple innings unharmed, he shuts the opposition down the rest of the way. My confidence in Mark hasn't been shaken, not in the least.
Im worried he may be reliving last season. He cant rely on the offense to give him this support every time. Last year he was in that terrible rut and i forget how many games he went winless. Take all the support given this season and cut that in half and his numbers change drastically. Im glad hes still winning but id feel more confident if he pitched more consistantly. Buehrle even said after the atlanta game that he just lost it in the game around the 4-5th inning and didnt have his stuff anymore. Granted everyone has an off day but when i hear our ace saying he simply loses his stuff during a game, i get worried. We have about 6 million in payroll, can we build a 6 million dollar man who pitches? Maybe danny wright can be put to good use this way?

"We can rebuild him, we have the technology"::superhuman sound effect::
http://www.sixmilliondollarsite.co.uk/_images/premise/majors.gif"Gimme a shot skip"

soxwon
06-20-2004, 12:35 AM
were gonna be just fine.

geez have some faith its only 63 games 99 to go

Lip Man 1
06-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Did anybody else notice that the score was 3-1 with two outs...by the time it was over it was 10-1 and there were still two outs?

Lip

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 12:41 AM
What the hell was this about? I usually make it a point not to watch Cubs highlights.
There was a semi play at the plate as barrett doubled down the right field side, dye came home and walker slid and as he slid he was motioning "safe" and just held his arms out like that smiling as the entire plague of cub players swamped him. What a "Kodak" moment by walker

Speakin of cubune, today they had a pitch by pitch analysis of sosa's atbats and main page was given to the scrubs losing and sox winning had a small front page blurb, i do wonder what the headline will be for magz' return and his atbats.

Flight #24
06-20-2004, 12:52 AM
Speakin of cubune, today they had a pitch by pitch analysis of sosa's atbats and main page was given to the scrubs losing and sox winning had a small front page blurb, i do wonder what the headline will be for magz' return and his atbats.
Not to worry, I'm sure they'll cover them - in the postgame box score.

JB98
06-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Im worried he may be reliving last season. He cant rely on the offense to give him this support every time. Last year he was in that terrible rut and i forget how many games he went winless. Take all the support given this season and cut that in half and his numbers change drastically
I disagree. He's given up three runs or less in six of his seven wins this year. The Philly game was the only exception. On top of that, the bullpen choked away a win for him on opening day, and it choked away a win for him in Oakland. There's two more quality starts right there. The run support definitely helps him, but I think it's quite a stretch to say he's relying on it.

Maybe he did lose his stuff in the Atlanta game, but what did he give up? A meaningless two-run dinger to Furcal. Big deal. Bottom line from that performance: 8 IP, 3 ER, 1 W

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 01:05 AM
I disagree. He's given up three runs or less in six of his seven wins this year. The Philly game was the only exception. On top of that, the bullpen choked away a win for him on opening day, and it choked away a win for him in Oakland. There's two more quality starts right there. The run support definitely helps him, but I think it's quite a stretch to say he's relying on it.

Maybe he did lose his stuff in the Atlanta game, but what did he give up? A meaningless two-run dinger to Furcal. Big deal. Bottom line from that performance: 8 IP, 3 ER, 1 W

When its a powerless punk like furcal who hits a ball so hard that lee just stood there and knew it was gone i think twice about it. And i wasnt refering to this entire season as being bad, i said his last 2-3 starts have seemed to be shakey. By his comments and by his performances. Im prob jumping a gun here but it gives me concern.

Brian26
06-20-2004, 01:08 AM
There was a semi play at the plate as barrett doubled down the right field side, dye came home and walker slid and as he slid he was motioning "safe" and just held his arms out like that smiling as the entire plague of cub players swamped him. What a "Kodak" moment
Wow. I remember a VERY similar play with Jose scoring for us in August of 2000 with the slide and collapse.

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Wow. I remember a VERY similar play with Jose scoring for us in August of 2000 with the slide and collapse.
Walker just remained on the ground with his arms out. I still remember paulie sliding into home with a open beer in minnesota after sox won the division and everyone said how bad it was....association of alcohol and sports celebrations? HOW UNHEARD OF! Now lets tune into the pistons or yankees winning a championship and spray champagne on everyone and everything and watch with content.