PDA

View Full Version : Garcia to the Yankees?

Dadawg_77
06-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Seattle scout Dan Evans is in the stands at LA watching Yankees, most likely looking at Halsey, 1 run, four hits, three Ks in four inning so far. Yankees could package him and Dioner Navarro (catcher AA) to land Garcia.

SoxxoS
06-19-2004, 04:27 PM
If I were the Yankees, I wouldn't give up Navarro. Posada is getting older and more frail...catchers don't last forever. Good catchers are almost impossible to find.

Hope Kevin Brown comes back and they will be fine, IMO.

MRKARNO
06-19-2004, 04:44 PM
If I were the Yankees, I wouldn't give up Navarro. Posada is getting older and more frail...catchers don't last forever. Good catchers are almost impossible to find.
The Yankees will find a way to sign a replacement for Posada on the FA market if need be. Keeping prospects just doesnt fit in with the Yankees' Modus Operandi

And c'mon, you dont really think the Yankees are going to go long with Halsey and Sturtze in their rotation, do you? Lieber's been bad so even when they are healthy they might get Garcia and decide to trade Lieber.

doublem23
06-19-2004, 04:47 PM
The Yankees will find a way to sign a replacement for Posada on the FA market if need be. Keeping prospects just doesnt fit in with the Yankees' Modus Operandi

Exactly what I was going to say. And even if the Yankees are high on Navarro, they can just sign him in 3-4 years when he tests the market.

In the Yankee world, success now outweighs potential success down the road.

santo=dorf
06-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Good catchers are almost impossible to find.

Tell that to Billy Beane. Chad Bradford (traded away Olivo) gave up a 2-RBI double to Michael Barrett (traded away for Damian Miller this season.) He also traded away last year's American League All-Star Catcher Ramon Hernandez this year.

Billy Beane=overrated

MarkEdward
06-19-2004, 06:41 PM
FWIW, the Yankees just drafted a bunch of catchers, including high schoolers Jon Poterson (1st round) and Alex Garabedian (7th), P.J. Pilittere (13th) out of CSFU and Nathan Griffin out of Oral Roberts. Not saying that they should trade Navarro, but they have a bunch of other options. Plus, it doesn't look like Posada is slowing down any time soon.

JRIG
06-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Tell that to Billy Beane. Chad Bradford (traded away Olivo) gave up a 2-RBI double to Michael Barrett (traded away for Damian Miller this season.) He also traded away last year's American League All-Star Catcher Ramon Hernandez this year.

Billy Beane=overrated
Michael Barrett was only a placeholder until they could move him to the Cubs, who really wanted him. Ramon Hernandez turned into Mark Kotsay, who is hitting over .300 with about a .350 OBP. I don't see how evaluating talent, signing it, and turning it into other useable parts is a bad thing.

Compared to, say, re-signing Sandy Alomar every year.

Flight #24
06-19-2004, 09:44 PM

Billy Beane=overrated
How dare you say that? Chad Bradford's obviously another in the line of A's star closers (right behind Rhodes & Mecir) that Beane's unearthed through his superior intellect and system! Who needs a catcher like Olivo/Barrett when you've got the fat boy Jeremy Brown dominating in the minors? Or well, at least doing OK in the minors.....who cares, he's got good strike zone knowledge!

Star players developed while Beane used a more standard "combination" stats + scouting system: Giambi, Tejada, Mulder, Zito, Hudson.
Star players developed after Beane started emphasizing the stats approach:????

BB = good GM, but by no means the "standard bearer". He's very good at filling in cheap, solid pieces - but his system has not proven to be very good at identifying the centrepieces you need to build around.

iwannago
06-19-2004, 09:59 PM
BB = good GM, but by no means the "standard bearer". He's very good at filling in cheap, solid pieces - but his system has not proven to be very good at identifying the centrepieces you need to build around.
A good and fair assesment. I which I could say the same for KW.

Flight #24
06-20-2004, 10:37 AM
A good and fair assesment. I which I could say the same for KW.
The team that's winning now is the same one he had last year. Manager incompetence isnt his fault....unless you really thinnk he had the power to can JM earlier (I don't).

KW didnt start with the pitching cornerstones Beane did. That drives a HUGE amount of the win differential (well, that + JM).

Not saying KW is awesome, but I dont believe that in reversed situations that Beane would have done any better (i.e. KW's team has the big 3 to start with, Beane doesnt & has JM).

Paulwny
06-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Exactly what I was going to say. And even if the Yankees are high on Navarro, they can just sign him in 3-4 years when he tests the market.

In the Yankee world, success now outweighs potential success down the road.I don't know how much truth there is to this. Rumor has it that Soriano was heart broken when he was traded. His agent told him ~ Don't worry, they(yankees) told me you'd be back in NY when you're a fa.