PDA

View Full Version : I am kind of wondering

Iguana775
06-18-2004, 10:23 PM
that KW is waiting to see how Arnie does tomorrow before pulling the trigger on a trade for a pitcher. just a thought...

owensmouth
06-18-2004, 10:29 PM
It takes two to tango, and at least that many to make a trade.

I'm hoping he does well. Don't forget, he has been a reliever and a closer (in winter leagues).

The Cheat
06-18-2004, 10:32 PM
Nope, Not KW's style.

Munoz is good, but he's not a #1 starter.

Best case scenario: Munoz excels. Fills the 5th starter spot until a trade is made. If he impresses enough, and Schoeneweis continues his recent slide, He may actually win a permanent spot in the rotation, with Schoeny filling a long reliever role out of the pen.

gosox41
06-19-2004, 02:13 AM
that KW is waiting to see how Arnie does tomorrow before pulling the trigger on a trade for a pitcher. just a thought...
The Sox need all the pitching they can get. Their starting rotation has been good so far, but Shoenweis has come down to earth of late. Hopefully KW won't be content with 3 starters, a sliding Schoeneweis and a rookie.

Bob

Lip Man 1
06-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Two Chicago newspapers Saturday reported that Garcia is about to go to the Yankees (so much for the belief of some that the Yankees don't have any minor league prospects...) so Williams is going to quickly have to turn his attention elsewhere.

I wonder who he'd be looking at. Benson?

Lip

doublem23
06-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Oooo... The Chicago newspapers reported the Seattle Mariners and New York Yankees were close to a deal... I guess that must be 100% true.

:rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it. If the Mariners want "prospects," the Sox have a far greater stock than the Yankees, unless they're trying to throw in Drew Henson.

SOXintheBURGH
06-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Two Chicago newspapers Saturday reported that Garcia is about to go to the Yankees (so much for the belief of some that the Yankees don't have any minor league prospects...) so Williams is going to quickly have to turn his attention elsewhere.

I wonder who he'd be looking at. Benson?

Lip

Just went to a Pirates game the other day and watched Benson throw 8 innings with 1 ER and 5 hits with 8 Ks on 0 BB.... against Anaheim no less. He was doing what he was supposed to be doing when the Buccos took him with the first overall pick in 97. I would love to see Benson wearing a Sox uniform, and I think a change of scenery would do him well, and based on what I saw him throw against an upper crust AL team, KW should go for it (and maybe try to grab Jack Wilson at SS, currently second in the NL in hits, batting .344).

jabrch
06-19-2004, 06:32 PM
I doubt he is waiting to see Munoz throw. If Munoz was considered that good, he'd likely have had a shot at this 5th starter spot a while ago. More likely he is waiting for a deal that he thinks is reasonable and will help the team. If teams are holding him hostage (Bavassi in particular knowing that KW/Ozzie like Garcia a lot) then we need to wait to get a better price or another option.

jabrch
06-19-2004, 07:03 PM
If KW was waiting for Arnie, the 9 run 2nd inning should be a clue to KW.

Frank the Tank
06-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Although this 5th starter situation is vey painful, I think KW is doing the right thing by waiting to pull the trigger on any trades. Since it is still relatively early in the season, I think it is better to wait for the right deal to develop as opposed to rushing into a stupid deal.

TornLabrum
06-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Although this 5th starter situation is vey painful, I think KW is doing the right thing by waiting to pull the trigger on any trades. Since it is still relatively early in the season, I think it is better to wait for the right deal to develop as opposed to rushing into a stupid deal.
The real problem is that the first starter situation was not addressed in the offseason. Had it been, there wouldn't have been a fifth starter situation.

soltrain21
06-19-2004, 07:30 PM

The longer we wait the more games we are GUARANTEED to lose.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-19-2004, 07:32 PM
The real problem is that the first starter situation was not addressed in the offseason. Had it been, there wouldn't have been a fifth starter situation.
Good point. We don't need a fifth starter. We need a #1, #2, #3, or #4 to make Schoenweis the #5.

Frank the Tank
06-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Would you be satisfied if Bartolo Colon was still wearing the White Sox pinstripes?

Frank the Tank
06-19-2004, 07:38 PM
The longer we wait the more games we are GUARANTEED to lose.
The season is not even half over yet.

THE_HOOTER
06-19-2004, 07:38 PM
hell yes.

his numbers will improve as the season goes on.

We need a #1, not a #5--we have a couple of those.

soltrain21
06-19-2004, 07:40 PM
The season is not even half over yet.

Oh yeah thats right, the first half of the season does not count.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Would you be satisfied if Bartolo Colon was still wearing the White Sox pinstripes?That's silly. Even as bad as Bartolo Colon has been, he is *still* a better pitcher to send out there every fifth day than Arnie Munoz. The money we "saved" by not signing Colon sure didn't go towards fixing the rotation hole Colon left behind either.

Frank the Tank
06-19-2004, 07:52 PM
That's silly. Even as bad as Bartolo Colon has been, he is *still* a better pitcher to send out there every fifth day than Arnie Munoz. The money we "saved" by not signing Colon sure didn't go towards fixing the rotation hole Colon left behind either.
Maybe, but had Colon been resigned, Maggs would probably have to have been dealt. Furthermore, if Colon was still on the Sox, JR wouldn't be giving KW the green light to spend more money. If Colon was still here, we would have a much bigger problem than we are faced now. We would have a 4-6 $12 MM slouch.

TornLabrum
06-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Would you be satisfied if Bartolo Colon was still wearing the White Sox pinstripes?
That's not the point I was making. The point I was making is that Schoeneweis does not replace Colon. He replaces last year's Jon Garland. Meanwhile, Colon/Buehrle/Loaiza last year < Buehrle/Loaiza/Garland this year. Schoeneweis this year probably = Garland last year. Sacrificial Lamb this year = Sacrificial Lamb last year.

Had we traded for a #1-2-3 type, we wouldn't have that problem.

Frank the Tank
06-19-2004, 07:55 PM
That's not the point I was making. The point I was making is that Schoeneweis does not replace Colon. He replaces last year's Jon Garland. Meanwhile, Colon/Buehrle/Loaiza last year < Buehrle/Loaiza/Garland this year. Schoeneweis this year probably = Garland last year. Sacrificial Lamb this year = Sacrificial Lamb last year.

Had we traded for a #1-2-3 type, we wouldn't have that problem.
Your right, Schoenweis is out-performing Colon

TornLabrum
06-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Your right, Schoenweis is out-performing Colon
Colon is either suffering from Big Contract Syndrome or his weight has caught up with him.

TornLabrum
06-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Oh yeah thats right, the first half of the season does not count.
That should be in quote with an attribution to Jerry Manuel.