PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Burke

Navaro's Talent
06-18-2004, 08:48 PM
This guy is tearing the cover off the baseball when he plays. I remember when he was first brought up for Magglio, a lot of people were questioning why the Sox would bring up a guy hitting somewhere around .235, including myself. Now, I'm pretty happy that Burke has been brought up. Even last year, this guy had some good hits. I'm happy to have this guy on the team.

Blob
06-18-2004, 09:41 PM
He had a real good night tonight. 3 for 5 with 2 RBIs. We need guys like this to keep contributing while Maggs is out.

hose
06-18-2004, 09:53 PM
I know Greg Walker is always the optimist , but he believes that Jamie Burke is a late bloomer and will be a solid player for the Sox.

Randar68
06-18-2004, 09:59 PM
I know Greg Walker is always the optimist , but he believes that Jamie Burke is a late bloomer and will be a solid player for the Sox.What's he supposed to say?

<how the heck do we not have a Greg Walker tag/>

"Well, we feel Burke is about a .250 hitter in AAA, and we think he'll hit about .200 here in the long run, so let's ride out this streak before we waive him, ok?"

OurBitchinMinny
06-18-2004, 10:01 PM
we should perfect cloning and have jamie burke start at all 9 positions. But seriously he had a hell of a game tonight. Hope he keeps it up

hose
06-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Brendon Donnelly was installing formica counter tops a couple of years ago.

Randar68
06-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Brendon Donnelly was installing formica counter tops a couple of years ago.
yawn.

elrod
06-18-2004, 11:01 PM
I love Jamie Burke. I know his numbers won't stay very high but his approach at the plate is beautiful. He goes up there and TRIES to hit opposite field. That lets him see more of the ball, keep his hands back and stay within his swing. For a good example, notice Juan Pierre's swing against Shingo. He was completely fooled but he still poked the ball to CF. The ball stayed up enough for Harris to catch, of course, but that's the approach that will work when you're fooled. I love opposite field hitters and would love it if the Sox had more hitters like him. One reason the Twins do so well late in games is they don't try to hit home runs all time. They hit the ball where it comes from rather than trying to pull everything. Now I'm not saying Crede or Valentin should become spray hitters - they can't. But the lineup only benefits with guys who can hit the ball opposite field.

BigEdWalsh
06-19-2004, 08:08 AM
I know Greg Walker is always the optimist , but he believes that Jamie Burke is a late bloomer and will be a solid player for the Sox.
I hope Burke is a late bloomer and not just a late in his career flash in the pan. I have a hunch (and it's just a hunch) that this might be Sandy's last year. If Burke can be decent he may be our backup catcher next year.
As for Sandy, I hope that when he does retire the Sox find a place for him in the organization...he's a great guy.

hose
06-19-2004, 09:05 AM
I hope Burke is a late bloomer and not just a late in his career flash in the pan. I have a hunch (and it's just a hunch) that this might be Sandy's last year. If Burke can be decent he may be our backup catcher next year.
As for Sandy, I hope that when he does retire the Sox find a place for him in the organization...he's a great guy.

Sandy will be coaching somewhere thats for sure.

Unless the Sox go out and trade/free agency this off season it looks like Burke will be around.

hose
06-19-2004, 11:53 AM

Every club in baseball could have claimed Scott Podsednik off waivers a couple of years ago.

Podsednik ended up second in the NL ROY voting in 2003.